Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: [Alpha] Zelda Online  (Read 31607 times)

[Alpha] Zelda Online
« on: August 01, 2016, 02:40:54 pm »
  • Let's do this.

Zelda Online is my new project including multiplayer features like Four Swords.
Goal of this project is to create a multiplayer game in which each of you can interact together, solve puzzles etc. The maps in which you play will be created by the community or yourself(see section "Level Editor").

Features
- Host/Join a game(Each player has a name and a colored tunic, no player limit)
- Website showing hosted games(If you have nodody to play with)
- Ingame chat(Press "C" to open console. Remembers the last three messages sent)
- Zelda gameplay a lá Minish Cap
- 10+ items(Not all finished, see "Progress" section)
- Enemies and NPC's(Work in progress, as well)
- Level Editor(Not included yet, see "Level Editor" section)
- XBox 360 Controller support(Needs to be plugged in before the game starts)

Screenshots
Not all pictures are up to date and yes, the skull is a bug!

Videos
Let's Play by SpritingBrad(Spanisch Commentary). Click here to see the full playlist.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtFjPr0dKSo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtFjPr0dKSo</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAfSDjIicTU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAfSDjIicTU</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXQ6mXPU8O8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXQ6mXPU8O8</a>

Progress
Multiplayer features:
- Player synchronization(Works)
- Obstacle synchronization(WIP)
- NPC synchronization(WIP)
- Chat(Sometimes a message will not be sent if you send a message while the chat is fading out)
- Website(Works, hosted games are shown. Bug: Sometimes dead hosts are shown)
- Lobby browser ingame(Not implemented yet)
- Level editor(Works, not available yet)

ItemNameSingleplayerMultiplayer
BombsCan be lifted, exploding after some seconds. Can be put into inventory if not thrown.Works
Frostfire BoomerangTurns water to ice, damages enemies(freezing only working against chuchus)Not visible
BottleCatch/Release water and drink potionsWorks
BraceletLift heavy thingsWorks
Cane of SomariaCreate/Remove a blockNot visible
Roc's capeJump, no, FLY!Works
HammerStrong attack weaponWorks
LampBring light into darknessWorks
MagnetglovesBe attracted by magnet objectsWorks
OcarinaPlay a songWorks
Pegasus BootsMove fast, fast double tap on a direction to useWorks
ShieldDeflect attacksWorks
SlingshotSlingshot not visible, fires a deku nutNot visible
SwordAttack weaponWorks
TelescopeSee furtherNot needed

Level Editor
The level editor won't be included at first but it is planned and partly implemented.
You will create your own level with Tiled, a common map editor. You can use each tileset you want, but will be limited to these objects:

Of course there will be more objects, but currently there are no more. :P
After the map is done you can convert your map with the help of a tool in a .lvl file. This file is readed by Game Maker and you can play with your friends in your own map.
A more detailed explanation how this will work will come when I introduce level editor.

Download
The game can be downloaded from the official website.
Each time you start the game the game will check if it is up to date and inform you if you need to update the game. The game saves automatically after entering a new room.
If you have nobody to play look at the official website, there you find all games which are currently hosted. Since there are not much level editor maps yet you will play in Aurelia.
Not all multiplayer features are included, but it is enough for the first release.

Links
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ZeldaOnlineGame

FAQ
Help! Nobody can join my game.
Make sure that the host set up a new firewall rule for this game. Furthermore, the host must forward his port. An alternative way is the use of tools like Hamachi.
There is a detailed thread about how to make sure that other people can join your game. Click here to see it.
Are there official servers?
Currently, no. Every now and then I am hosting a server but I don't want to run the game the whole time. Especially because this game is still in alpha status and a lot of errors occur so that the server would crash.
Can I play this game offline?
Yes, you don't need internet to play in Singleplayer mode. And of course, nobody will join your game.
I have a fast computer but the game still runs slow. What to do?
Sometimes there is a leak of memory or another problem due to other applications. Restart Windows.
Will there be a MAC or Linux version of the game?
No, this game was supposed to be Windows-only. But if you use Wine you could play it on Linux.
Are Ip-Addresses saved if I play the game?
Your IP-adress is saved and showed temporarily on the main page of the website so that other users can see that you are playing and join your game. If you quit the game your IP-adress is deleted from the database and not showed anymore. EDIT: Not anymore! (Website is private now/password protected and the game will not connect to the website)

Credits
Nintendo(the Legend of Zelda franchise, various sprites and sounds from various official Zelda titles)
Ruven Wegner(Title and menu music, Youtube)
EoA Team: Rayo(Coding), Gonken(various sprites), InvertedMean(Music and sound)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 08:58:21 pm by Rayo »
This is one of many tales Hylian lore speaks of...

Click here to check out my Deviantart!
  • Zelda Time Walker
Re: Zelda Online
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 03:05:04 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
WOW DUDE! nice to see you are back with a new project! And sounds awesome too!
So this is a four sword Mario maker type game? That´s really cool :D
So we will play in Aurelia?! The entire overworld or just a small section?

Also, the sprites on the two screens are from Pokemon or something? I have seen them before and they are clearly not MC style :3

Also can you change art-styles? What I mean is, have a menu where you can change withing all different art-styles of all 2d zelda games:
-Zelda 1, Zelda 2? (Maybe make platforming levels too?), The Oracle Games, A Link To The Past... etc. (Like in Mario maker, where you can change from 8-bit Mario to the rest of the 2D Mario Art-styles)

Anyways, It´s great to see you guys back with a new project, I´m hyped! :D
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 03:24:55 pm »
  • Let's do this.
Currently it is only me who is doing this project. Every now and then I have improved the engine of Echoes of Aurelia and someday I wanted to implement multiplayer features. :)
Exactly it is some kind of Four Sword Mario Maker game. As long the level editor is not implemented all maps from Echoes of Aurelia will be playable.
You will be able to create a teleporter which teleports you to the various maps of the unfinished game.
The tileset on #screen 1 & 2 are from Pokémon. The map was created in Tiled and loaded by Game Maker. Theoretically you can use each tileset you want, this Pokémon tileset was similar to the MC tileset so I chose it. And no, it won't be possible to change art-styles.

• Zelda Time Walker
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 04:11:37 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
Currently it is only me who is doing this project. Every now and then I have improved the engine of Echoes of Aurelia and someday I wanted to implement multiplayer features. :)
Exactly it is some kind of Four Sword Mario Maker game. As long the level editor is not implemented all maps from Echoes of Aurelia will be playable.
You will be able to create a teleporter which teleports you to the various maps of the unfinished game.
The tileset on #screen 1 & 2 are from Pokémon. The map was created in Tiled and loaded by Game Maker. Theoretically you can use each tileset you want, this Pokémon tileset was similar to the MC tileset so I chose it. And no, it won't be possible to change art-styles.

Only you?! Wow, that´s impressive!

Quote from: Rayo
Theoretically you can use each tileset you want
Any tileset? Wow, thats very cool!
But if you use, lets say, OOA tiles, would the MC link stand out? Or can you change the sprites for characters too?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 04:25:48 pm »
  • Let's do this.
But if you use, lets say, OOA tiles, would the MC link stand out? Or can you change the sprites for characters too?
It would stand out.
But it is way too much work to change the sprites for characters since MC has items which are not present in OoA and backwards.
A lot of sprites would be needed and I won't do those. Furthermore, the animation time is different in each zelda title.
But I have seen you have redone the AlttP map in MC style. You could use this map and it won't stand out. ;P

• Zelda Time Walker
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 06:07:47 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
It would stand out.
But it is way too much work to change the sprites for characters since MC has items which are not present in OoA and backwards.
A lot of sprites would be needed and I won't do those. Furthermore, the animation time is different in each zelda title.
But I have seen you have redone the AlttP map in MC style. You could use this map and it won't stand out. ;P

Good point XD
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 12:25:37 am »
  • Let's do this.
Three new screens showing the tile screen, the chat box and an incomplete miniboss.

• Zelda Time Walker

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 07:07:57 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Wow, what an ambitions project! This looks like it's meant to be some sort of MC version of the popular Zelda Classic engine, complete with level designer and FS-style multiplayer.

@Brad: It doesn't look like it's meant to be very Mario Maker-y... THAT would take a lot of programming expertise, as the engine would have to flip several switches on the fly to make everything work between each version. (But if you want to chat about how that could be done...)
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
Re: [Alpha] Zelda Online
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 02:23:02 pm »
  • Let's do this.
The game can be downloaded now from the official website. Have fun! A lot of time has been spend to do this.
More updates are comming, feedback is always welcomed! :D

Don't forget to forward a port if you are hosting a game, so that other players can join your game as well. I will also try to visit some of you if you are hosting a game.
Not all multiplayer features are included, but it is enough for the first release.

• Zelda Time Walker
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 09:55:15 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
The game can be downloaded now from the official website. Have fun! A lot of time has been spend to do this.
More updates are comming, feedback is always welcomed! :D

Don't forget to forward a port if you are hosting a game, so that other players can join your game as well. I will also try to visit some of you if you are hosting a game.
Dude this is AWESOME! I am currently playing through all of the teleportation "Levels" while recording it for my spanish youtube channel :3 (To show my friends the game)
I have like three videos done of 20 mins each and I barely scratched the surface XD it is really a lot of fun, Thanks dude! :D
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 10:16:22 pm »
  • Let's do this.
Dude this is AWESOME! I am currently playing through all of the teleportation "Levels" while recording it for my spanish youtube channel :3 (To show my friends the game)
I have like three videos done of 20 mins each and I barely scratched the surface XD it is really a lot of fun, Thanks dude! :D

Thank you very much! I have seen your Spanish IP on the website and assumed you was playing this game. I also tried to join your server but it seems that you need to forward the port first.
If you want to record some multiplayer gameplay: If you see me hosting "Host: Rayo" join my game(I am currently hosting a game in the background).

• Zelda Time Walker
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 10:21:02 pm »
  • Just call me Brad

Thank you very much! I have seen your Spanish IP on the website and assumed you was playing this game. I also tried to join your server but it seems that you need to forward the port first.
If you want to record some multiplayer gameplay: If you see me hosting "Host: Rayo" join my game(I am currently hosting a game in the background).

Forward my Port? (not sure how exactly XD) Edit: I Found out how XD

Also, is there an in-game chat? If it is a Multiplayer game, there HAS to be one.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 10:24:55 pm »
  • Let's do this.
Also, is there an in-game chat? If it is a Multiplayer game, there HAS to be one.
If you press "C" a command box will appear. This is the chat box(And also the place where you can input cheats).

• Zelda Time Walker
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 10:27:06 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
If you press "C" a command box will appear. This is the chat box(And also the place where you can input cheats).

Ah ok.

So I Downloaded the update and this comes up:

Show content
for object obj_master:

Error defining an external function.

What do I do?
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 10:28:11 pm »
  • Let's do this.
Replace the old .exe with the new one and it will work.

• Zelda Time Walker
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 10:42:51 pm »
  • Just call me Brad

Ah ok, I will do it tomorrow :)

Also, while playing, link bugged out a couple of times, like when he entered one of the caves and then attempted to come out, he will walk out, then in automatically and then then game would crash. Also in some unfinished maps, link walked on water and in mid air, I think he turned into a god there xD I was laughing all the way.
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 11:00:06 pm »
  • Let's do this.

Also, while playing, link bugged out a couple of times, like when he entered one of the caves and then attempted to come out, he will walk out, then in automatically and then then game would crash. Also in some unfinished maps, link walked on water and in mid air, I think he turned into a god there xD I was laughing all the way.

Ok, I have just noticed: Once you leave the ice cave the game can not be played anymore. I will fix that right now.
There is indeed a cheat called "godmode on/off": You are invinsible. Another cheat "noclip on/off" let you go through walls and walk over water(If you always want to have god feeling)

• Zelda Time Walker
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 09:21:19 am »
  • Just call me Brad

Ok, I have just noticed: Once you leave the ice cave the game can not be played anymore. I will fix that right now.
There is indeed a cheat called "godmode on/off": You are invinsible. Another cheat "noclip on/off" let you go through walls and walk over water(If you always want to have god feeling)

Godmode? wow I didn´t know that! (You should put the list of cheats to try them out ;))
I updated the game too.
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 11:57:14 am »
  • Let's do this.
You should put the list of cheats to try them out
Available cheats are written in cheats.txt. After you have entered a correct cheat in the command box a sound should play as confirmation.

• Zelda Time Walker
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 01:04:14 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
You should put the list of cheats to try them out
Available cheats are written in cheats.txt. After you have entered a correct cheat in the command box a sound should play as confirmation.

Aaaah ok, going to try them out now ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 78 queries.

anything