Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: [ZFGC Weekly] The Big Question - November 16th, 2008  (Read 7637 times)

Re: [ZFGC Weekly] The Big Question - November 16...
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 09:31:50 pm »
If ZFGC were to have an official part of the staff dedicated to setting up events, handling news items, etc., would you be interested in being a part of it?

I recall doing it once. -- The Events team. It didn't work out so well.

It worked best when staff as a whole suggested ideas and ran their own suggestions.. and it works fine... when users do the same.
It is not as if I wasn't there for that.  it failed due to a lack of ideas and lack of things to do.  With the site there is more to do that requires people.  One cannot just apply the past as a be-all end-all result of something that would be attempted later.  If everything was the same, then I would agree, but it is not.  There is z3, NCFC, news items, holiday contests, gaming tournaments, etc. to set up, with a site to help out, and thus I feel that an events staff would be viable now.
We have had an events staff more than just once. MANY times, in fact. They all failed in proportions so epic it can only be compared to Hitler's campaign in World War 2.

Easy_D's easy solutions.

Make your own god damn forum.
QFT'd.

Hitlers campaign was actually near succedding though. :P

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 09:33:36 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
I'm not permitted to leak, but I can say that this question IS about 4sword. Just believe me there.

Also,

If you volunteer to help a website out, you shouldn't do it EXPECTING a special title, or for them to make you a special forum to organize your activities. You should go into the job KNOWING it's going to be hard, and if the website gives you a special rank or anything, hey... congrats! I honestlt can't see writing a weekly article that is basically you taking quotes from the forum, linking to topics on the forum, linking to a game on the forum, and writing a short interview you send to the game creator to have them email back can be all that tough. It really should also be bi-monthly to ensure a bit better quality, as well as make sure everything is up to par, since there are more weeks in a year then there are worthwhile games on this forum... No offense.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Tet

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 09:34:07 pm »
  • I believe. I believe in ghosts.
Oh, these guys are mad.

Serious business.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:42:15 pm by Tet »
n__n
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 09:34:36 pm »
  • Minalien
If ZFGC were to have an official part of the staff dedicated to setting up events, handling news items, etc., would you be interested in being a part of it?

I recall doing it once. -- The Events team. It didn't work out so well.

It worked best when staff as a whole suggested ideas and ran their own suggestions.. and it works fine... when users do the same.
It is not as if I wasn't there for that.  it failed due to a lack of ideas and lack of things to do.  With the site there is more to do that requires people.  One cannot just apply the past as a be-all end-all result of something that would be attempted later.  If everything was the same, then I would agree, but it is not.  There is z3, NCFC, news items, holiday contests, gaming tournaments, etc. to set up, with a site to help out, and thus I feel that an events staff would be viable now.
We have had an events staff more than just once. MANY times, in fact. They all failed in proportions so epic it can only be compared to Hitler's campaign in World War 2.

Easy_D's easy solutions.

Make your own god damn forum.
QFT'd.

Hitlers campaign was actually near succedding though. :P
But it still fell short because the leader, in the end, turned out to be !@#$% retarded. Point and case.

Can we get back to the subject at hand, rather than this giant circle bent on kicking each other in the balls?

My opinion: An Events Staff has failed every time before. I say no, until sufficient proof can be given that it will not be an utter flop.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 09:37:55 pm »
If it -is- about 4sword. A question like this should not be presented to the users, it's unfair.

Also, taking the question at it's context, I'm still going to have to say -no-.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 09:46:16 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
And a question like this is obviously going to get filled with members saying "YES, I'LL HELP!" and eventually it will be put into motion, then 4sword will get his special rank. It's too easy to see what's going on here after having seen some of the recent conversations elsewhere.

4sword pitches him getting a special staff rank. Staff doesn't act on it, and now a question pops up in ZFGC Weekly (written by 4sword) asking the forum if there should be a special staff rank.

Who is favoring popularity over practicality now?
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 09:48:27 pm »
Hitler was improving near the end of the war, but his mental health and the fact that his forces had pretty much neared defeat anyway is what sealed the deal.  An example of his improvement would be the introduction of the jet-propelled aircraft to the aerial fleet; they were faster, just it was too late to make much of a difference.

As for what Vash said, I was there as a user, I was able to read information about past events, and I was there for at least one events team failure.  I know why it failed - mainly due to those not having anything to do and the fact that the two most active were at the top.  With the site now and a preoccupied moderation and administration, it is not as if there would be too little to do.  Infini would still have authority over everything that the events staff would do, and it's establishment would serve to give everyone more convenience.  Also, the only reason bertfallen posted this is because I was not able to and sticky it; I asked him to post this as the person helping me stopped.

As for what DJvenom said, the Weekly itself would not really be benefited on that time scale.  It would essentially just give one person more time to work on it.  I can see where it would help out in terms of running out of things to talk about and it would make for more content to put into it, but really, for one person to do more with that is just asking too much of one person.  I don't know, I mean, I am in college, !@#$%'s busy.  The chat has special ranking here anyway which is a little silly.  After Dantz left, he put me into a "Staff" category, but then that was later taken away anyway, meh.

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 09:52:20 pm »
  • I put this here for the sake of that one thread
What was this topic about again :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

I </3 Sol
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 09:52:57 pm »
  • Minalien
Hitler was improving near the end of the war, but his mental health and the fact that his forces had pretty much neared defeat anyway is what sealed the deal.  An example of his improvement would be the introduction of the jet-propelled aircraft to the aerial fleet; they were faster, just it was too late to make much of a difference.
Because you obviously missed it, I was alluding to the fact that you are acting !@#$% retarded and are just after gaining some special status to look like you're better than somebody, which is made obvious by the fact that you are making this topic about you.

I don't know, I mean, I am in college, !@#$%'s busy.  The chat has special ranking here anyway which is a little silly.
That's because the Chat has official standing with the forums, as part of the community. Chat is not managed by the community. Events should be.

After Dantz left, he put me into a "Staff" category, but then that was later taken away anyway, meh.
See? This is totally about you getting status.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Behemoth5

A ZFGC Original
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2008, 09:53:31 pm »
  • A ZFGC Original
What was this topic about again :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

I think it's about 4Sword's aspiration to be like Hitler.
  • #Secret
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2008, 09:55:35 pm »
Look, all I really want is the ability to work with people rather than doing !@#$% all by myself, all the time.  The last point involving Dantz was just me saying how that was fine then, which brings up why should it be so frowned upon now? 
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2008, 09:56:02 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
Trolling by the administration. Fun stuff.

The chat has special ranking here anyway which is a little silly.

Silly like making volunteers moderators simply because they ask to be, using ZFGC Weekly as a cover because the administration's too stupid to realize when they're being manipulated, right? I'm sick of this whole thing.
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2008, 09:56:37 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
Look, all I really want is the ability to work with people rather than doing !@#$% all by myself, all the time.  The last point involving Dantz was just me saying how that was fine then, which brings up why should it be so frowned upon now? 

You can work with other people without a rank you know.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2008, 09:57:04 pm »
  • Minalien
Trolling by the administration. Fun stuff.

The chat has special ranking here anyway which is a little silly.

Silly like making volunteers moderators simply because they ask to be, using ZFGC Weekly as a cover because the administration's too stupid to realize when they're being manipulated, right? I'm sick of this whole thing.

<3 Wally

• Development Blog

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2008, 09:58:23 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
Frowned upon now because that was Dantz assigning you staff position, and now it's you BEGGING for staff position. And obviously it wasn't fine then or they WOULDN'T HAVE REMOVED IT!
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2008, 09:58:52 pm »
Zidane used to help, I asked Darklight to help me out and he did not respond even though he was on for a few hours after I sent him the PM, and bertfallen kind of helps me with this now.  This instablility is often counter-productive and it would be beneficial to have people helping me who would have the same primary goal.  The problem now is that volunteers who work for the site have no place to effectively collaborate nor do they have a way of actively working with the moderators to do certain necessary things.

By having a more concentrated work force, the news would be better, there would be more variety in such news, the events would happen without being rushed to a point of irrelevancy, etc.  As for the Pumpkin King rank, perhaps I am rusty with how SMF works, but setting it up should not have been that difficult - really all it is a custom rank that has the same permissions as a regular member.  If a staff person were to have it as their rank, their staff ranks could be set to primary so nothing really would have changed for them.

This ranking would also make it a lot easier to communicate with the administration in that, for example, I would not have to make proposals each and every time I had an idea that had some thought in it and send it via PM to them.  By being in the staff, these things could be discussed and decided upon more efficiently.  It would also make it so I was not doing most if not all of the work.

reason I didn't respond was because I was busy doing stuff elsewhere and just left my computer going. Guess I shouldn't really do that, it gives people the wrong impression of things.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2008, 10:03:11 pm »
You people all assume that just because I am methodical and coldly rational that it is sufficient to say that I am evil and/or sitting, grinning, with my fingers wiggling as if to suggest I was diabolically thinking.  As for volunteers being moderators, I do not follow, but to manage any event, having a little local moderator power is useful.  When there is something spread across multiple boards though, having some attributes of a global moderator would be more practical than assigning a person to each board as a local moderator.

And duh, I know I can work with people without a rank, and I have.  I have to work with some ranked people as well as they have abilities that I do not.  It would be helpful to have an area where unranked people at least could have conversation rather than intermittently via PM which you really cannot do easily between three people or more if you ever have that many.

Oh, and Darklight, sorry about that.  It wasn't so much directed at you as the occasions arise often when I run into that situation, you being the last of said situation.  
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2008, 10:09:59 pm »
  • Minalien
You people all assume that just because I am methodical and coldly rational that it is sufficient to say that I am evil and/or sitting, grinning, with my fingers wiggling as if to suggest I was diabolically thinking.
Actually, I just imagine some fatass who has no friends offline who feels a need to have status on an internet community so that he can feel better than his tormenters elsewhere, and seeks to accomplish said goal by pushing for some completely unrelated status.

Tell me, why was it, exactly, that you got stripped of the Events Staff lead before? And why should you be in charge now? Why are you pushing so hard for this, when it will accomplish nothing more than you having a pretty little sign under your name?

• Development Blog
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2008, 10:13:39 pm »
You people all assume that just because I am methodical and coldly rational that it is sufficient to say that I am evil and/or sitting, grinning, with my fingers wiggling as if to suggest I was diabolically thinking.
Actually, I just imagine some fatass who has no friends offline who feels a need to have status on an internet community so that he can feel better than his tormenters elsewhere, and seeks to accomplish said goal by pushing for some completely unrelated status.

Tell me, why was it, exactly, that you got stripped of the Events Staff lead before? And why should you be in charge now? Why are you pushing so hard for this, when it will accomplish nothing more than you having a pretty little sign under your name?
I wasn't the Event Staff lead, I was the Moderation Lead.  I was around when Hoffy and NeoGeo-x both got co-adminship of that.  And as I have stated previously, I just want to be able to work with people, and that Infini would be in charge.

I am not actually fat, although occasionally constipated, but oh well.  I just see that if I am going to be here, I may as well try to do my part for the hell of it considering that hardly anyone else even in groups seems to want to do the same.

Oh, and that made me chuckle.  I like the one with Newton talking about deriving while you derive as well.
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2008, 10:16:55 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
Things getting out of hand, etc.

Locked.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.593 seconds with 76 queries.