Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: z3 2010  (Read 18464 times)

Re: z3 2010
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 12:56:58 am »
  • Minalien
You know what? !@#$% it. I've been trying to be less of an ass recently, I really have, but I give the !@#$% up. I'm done.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 01:05:52 am by MiNalien »
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 03:47:13 am »
All rancor aside, I should have been a little more descriptive of the event for newer users by reiterating the common ways in which past events had been handled. Doing so would have better stated what the event is and most of what was going on. About the way in which the planning is handled, I have brought up having the z3 event in the staff board but discussion never takes off due to other issues coming up. The conducting of the event is going to have to be staff approved regardless by nature, but having discussion over what everyone wants helps make the event feel more genuine.

Oh and here is an idea. While I mentioned having individual and team based divisions for project submissions, would it be too out there to have a a division be for engines? It would be beneficial to see what a time's worth of effort put into a feature could do for that feature and many people here might find that easier to do than something involving a game.
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 03:52:20 am »
  • Minalien
All rancor aside, I should have been a little more descriptive of the event for newer users by reiterating the common ways in which past events had been handled. Doing so would have better stated what the event is and most of what was going on. About the way in which the planning is handled, I have brought up having the z3 event in the staff board but discussion never takes off due to other issues coming up. The conducting of the event is going to have to be staff approved regardless by nature, but having discussion over what everyone wants helps make the event feel more genuine.

Oh and here is an idea. While I mentioned having individual and team based divisions for project submissions, would it be too out there to have a a division be for engines? It would be beneficial to see what a time's worth of effort put into a feature could do for that feature and many people here might find that easier to do than something involving a game.
The problem with that is that almost everybody uses Game Maker-based engines. Granted, those few of us who do use C++ that would be able to have a fair challenge against each other (myself, MGZ, Infini, Jay) would have more that we can do, but I can't imagine any of us going out of our way to write a full engine for such a simple competition.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 04:48:35 am »
I figure that most projects that'd be in the z3 event will be updates to existing games here. In my mind this puts engines at about the same standing in that they carry about the same "weight"; games are a little heftier in that they carry a collective sum though. Engines wouldn't be expected to be all encompassing, but at least feature based. I'd think that stuff made in C++ would also get seen more favorably by those voting because of the difficulty level involved as well.
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 05:03:01 am »
  • Minalien
I figure that most projects that'd be in the z3 event will be updates to existing games here. In my mind this puts engines at about the same standing in that they carry about the same "weight"; games are a little heftier in that they carry a collective sum though. Engines wouldn't be expected to be all encompassing, but at least feature based. I'd think that stuff made in C++ would also get seen more favorably by those voting because of the difficulty level involved as well.
I thought you were referring to divisions in some form of competition. In that case, by all means, do an engines division, so that the Harvest Engine can reign supreme.

• Development Blog

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 09:51:15 am »
Although I couldn't join (Not working on Chiming Bells for a while. Uni game in progress.), I say z3 is a yes.
  • Phoenix Heart

Serge

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2010, 07:26:08 pm »
Ahh.. z3? So, only Zelda themed material?

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 04:30:07 am »
  • .越//

It's thought as a CON for fangames... its a zfgc version of the E3 like the name says, everyone who enters the competition does a booth tour of his project to show off massive content ;)

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

Serge

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 04:46:27 am »

It's thought as a CON for fangames... its a zfgc version of the E3 like the name says, everyone who enters the competition does a booth tour of his project to show off massive content ;)

Ooooh! Very interesting! Is there any possible place to see the potential projects which may surface at z3 or is it all disclosed? Thank you for the explanation, Yue. =) You are a good person.
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 07:02:09 am »
I'll probably enter for the first time this year, if I can get my little side-scrolling Fallout game off the ground with my brother's help. (Possibly help from some of you spriter's later on once we have a working demo with placement graphics)
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 02:16:35 am »
Well, here is how I think it should work:
2 weeks, the last two weeks of july, meaning from 16 of july to 1 of august , so people have summer to work on their game.

Each 2 days 3 new games will be posted on the forum so people can comment on them, so not all the games appear at once, people choose the day they want to see their game to appear.

Spriting Contest should consist of spriting a original zelda enemy not limited to style and size (so it can be a kickass boss or any wicked style you want to be) animations or frames a must.

The last day (1st of august) the winning games will be announced.
Categories:
Best Solo Game
Best Team Game
Best Graphics
Best Original Zelda Gameplay
Best Non-Zelda Games(engines included)
Best 2010-z3 (basically the best of the best)

Hmm, people must submit a webpage for easier view including atleast 3 pictures decent demo(which will be evaluated by the z3 staff), and optional video.

Now if you REALLY REALLY want people to pay attention in this you can always disable the rest of the forums and just allow people to view the z3 boards, that will increase the activity of the z3 and it will not get ignored.

Also! design some users as "Quality Staff" or something like that, basically people or teams that are willing to participate give some screenshots or early demo to this Staff so that they check the quality(as in how the game works/sprites/music etc..) and give productive C+C so at the end we see only kickass games on the z3, this quality staff might also help with minor spriting or coding dunno really just throwing the idea.

Anyways... just an idea.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:00:43 am by Kren »
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 10:31:38 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I'm actually looking forward to this, since I have a solo Zelda project going that I've just recently started.
Just sayin, you can be sure that I'm in when this starts up. ^,-

Also, I like the dates that Kren has given, because I'd like to have most of Summer to work on my project.
  • My Music
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 01:22:01 am »
About when the event starts, having it near the end of summer is what I had in mind. I know that many people start the fall semesters of their universities during the last weeks of August, so either the last two weeks of July or the first two weeks of August would be good. The two week time-frame for the event showcase would also be alright.

Also, the idea that games could be released periodically like that would also help it so every project got a fair amount of attention rather than interest being mainly given to just a few projects for the duration of the event. About the spriting contest, boss spriting might be a little unfeasible if the spriting starts when z3 does - so I assume you mean that those wanting to submit that stuff would work on it for a while longer?  I was thinking that something like spriting a character which would be certain style might be better in terms of turnout.

I still don't think that anything non-Zelda should be at the event. While we are a Zelda forum and also have non-Zelda games here, the contest in my opinion should be restricted to Zelda because it carries a theme or whatever. Not sure extremely about the awards but yeah there'd be the bests of each category and the best overall regardless.

The webpage stuff, not sure about that, I'd like to think that an NCFC style would work alright with booth structure possibly being topic based - or that there'd be site pages with somewhat consistent styling which would work. Disabling the forum might be crazy but I'll think about it. I was also thinking that instead of a Quality Staff that if the Developer rank expands at all that they could be the quality advisers; typically those who would be of that rank are so because their projects are of high quality.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 01:53:06 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
Well if we ARE allowing non-Zelda games, I just started a project that might fetch some attention :]
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 05:14:42 am »
Meh, fine but if non-Zelda stuff is going to be in the z3 event, it is all going to be bunched up together like Kren said - mainly because of non-Zelda turnout and so the event is still seen as mostly Zelda.
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2010, 12:00:57 am »
I'll attempt to learn how to code, then start some project or another for this. Probably going to be very small, but still fun.
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 12:35:17 am »
I think this should be Zelda only games myself, Z3 for non-Zelda games seems kind of weird in my opinion.

Also, not too long from now in a few months I should have perhaps a decent demo of my 3D fan-game.

So yes I'll be going into the Z3 event with my yet to be named Zelda project.
Game Designer and Artist

My Zelda Projects Official Site:
http://unicornslair.byethost17.com

I encourage you, please rate my Project here!
  • The Legend of Zelda: Secret Depths of the Unicorns Lair

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2010, 04:16:41 am »
  • .越//
I think this should be Zelda only games myself, Z3 for non-Zelda games seems kind of weird in my opinion.

Also, not too long from now in a few months I should have perhaps a decent demo of my 3D fan-game.

Is the quality of your game that low that you are afraid of Indie Games?

Z3 doesnt mean zelda at all... it is just a E3 Clone and since its on ZFGC it is Z instead of E and the 3 doesnt have any meaning either... its just a sound

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2010, 04:51:13 am »
  • Minalien

Is the quality of your game that low that you are afraid of Indie Games?

Z3 doesnt mean zelda at all... it is just a E3 Clone and since its on ZFGC it is Z instead of E and the 3 doesnt have any meaning either... its just a sound
Because stating her feeling that Z3, which is an "expo" for a Zelda Fan Game community, should focus on Zelda-oriented games is an indication of fear. :/

• Development Blog
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2010, 07:50:28 am »
Well, I wouldn't mind having some indie games, but they shouldn't overwhelm the Zelda games.

And for competitions, well you could hold some spriting, modeling and programming contests.

Like:
- Sprite a new character with animations and think up a background story in MC/LttP/GBC style.
- Model a new character or an object in and think up a background story in OOT/WW/TP style.
- Program (and sprite) a unique ability for Link that does not appear in MC for the Community Project in MC style.

The contests should be Zelda oriented, because we are still ZFGC here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 74 queries.