Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OnLive  (Read 1250 times)

OnLive
« on: July 09, 2012, 12:02:47 pm »
Some of you may have heard of this already ( especially since it has been out in the US much longer than it has here in the UK). Onlive is a game system whereby they run the game on their servers and stream it to your device that can only just about handle video display (netbooks, tablets, phones etc).

I have just ordered myself the Onlive wireless controller, which I will be connecting via bluetooth to my asus transformer pad tf300. What this means is that I will be able to play games like Homefront, Deus Ex, Unreal Tounament etc all on my tablet pc. What this does is add an element to what my tablet is already capable of doing. My tablet is already my primary IRC client (as those of you on #zfgc will have noticed). It is also responsible for my emails, google talk, google plus, facebook etc. Aside from the social side I am running Ubuntu alongside my Android OS, and can use it to edit documents with LibreOffice, and do a whole load of nice things. I get home and dock it and it becomes a small desktop.

I think I am digressing here... the point is I can play ridiculously high graphic games on my tablet now, making it a tablet, a netbook, a desktop and a games console. The games are rather cheap (happily) and I will be coming back here to tell you how much the controller rules / sucks when it arrives.

Of course all of this awesomeness does come at a catch, you need a reasonable internet connection to play the games even in singleplayer modes (they are streamed from the server after all). This is fine for me, we have 100mb pretty much everywhere I live, but for those of you on less than 3mb you won't be able to at a reasonable quality. Additionally, if you have that person in the house who can't be assed to buy their own music and listens to it on youtube 24/7 you might find this slow.

Benefits of this system include being able to play a game on my tablet... run out of battery and continue at the same point on my desktop (without interference), or vice versa. Perhaps your mum took the only desktop and you end up switching to the controller and your android phone :).

I'd love to know if anyone here has Onlive already, plans to get it, or has an account so we can play together? Games I will probably be playing start with Homefront and Fallout.
  • Elliott Parkinson

thestig

Re: OnLive
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 02:01:42 am »
I've always wanted to try OnLive, but never bothered to sign up. That being said, if you could do all of this on a tablet then that's just freakin awesome! Can you post a video of this all working or is that not an option?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 05:40:59 am »
I'll post a video when it arrives and I have it all setup so you can see what it's like.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 02:48:00 pm »
  • 笑い男
Is there not a trial? (I'd be suspicious on how well it works over wifi and on uk broadband :x lol). I tried it once and it did work surprisingly well though.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 06:14:04 am »
Is there not a trial? (I'd be suspicious on how well it works over wifi and on uk broadband :x lol). I tried it once and it did work surprisingly well though.

You can trial games yes, but to really play them with the controller you need to buy a controller. So  I spent the entire evening playing it tonight, on a BT line (worst you can get for the UK, like 9 meg), over wifi on my tablet. It's perfectly smooth, really responsive. There were moments where you could tell it wasn't local just about, but overall I am happy with it.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:04:56 am »
  • 笑い男
That is pretty amazing then!

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 46 queries.

anything