Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [Completed] The Legend of Zelda - Untitled  (Read 20250 times)

[Completed] The Legend of Zelda - Untitled
« on: July 26, 2015, 02:12:56 am »
Okay, so this is just a small project that I have been working on recently. I don't really know what to call it really. Its partly a mini-dungeon, and partly a demonstration of an item idea that I had that went too far, but for the most part I used it as an excuse to try to practice making a Zelda game of some sort. I basically tried to take some gameplay concepts, develop them and put them in a familiar context. As you can tell from the title, it is not exactly a demo, so really what you see is what you get.

So basically, this is a Minish Cap style game that features one dungeon that you can explore (and ehem, there is no boss in case you are wondering), that you can explore and go through. If you don't know what the Minish Cap is or haven't played it, then you can look at the screens below to get an idea. It should take less than an hour to complete blind (though coming from me that is probably not very accurate) but there is a simple save feature that is available if you can't finish it in one sitting.

Since this project is essentially complete, I am really looking forward to hear some feedback from you guys. Tell me what your first impressions are and deep criticism is certainly welcome if you feel like it. Hopefully there won't be any serious technical issues (like bugs and whatnot), but if there are then I am very sorry and will try to fix them. I am using this project as more of a learning experience than anything so I would appreciate it. If anybody is interested, I will probably post up a walkthrough next week for those who are stuck but hopefully you guys would've reached the end by then.

CONTROLS:

Z- Left Item Button
X- Right Item Button
Space- Context Sensitive Action

Enter- Start

ITEMS:

-Sword
-Shield
-Bombs
-Bow & Arrow
-Cloak*

*Acquired later on

SCREENSHOTS:

DOWNLOAD LINK:
TLOZ- Release.rar

CREDITS:

Sprites:

People at SpritersResource:
-Barubary
-EternalLight
-Aquatics64
-Sonikku

ZFGC:
-Miles07 (for Cloak sprite)

Tiles:

People at SpritersResource:
-Bacon

ZFGC:
-Xfixium

Sounds:

-HelptheWretched

Music:

People at VGMusic:
-TurquoiseStar17
-Matmax14
-Jayster

Testers:

-Miles07

No Copyright infringement has been intended.
All sprites / names / music from the Legend of Zelda Series are property of Nintendo.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:30:21 pm by Milo »
Re: [Completed] The Legend of Zelda - Untitled
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:32:00 am »
  • Master Of Disaster
Okay, wow, this was actually pretty damn good dungeon. The Spirit Cloak mechanism was very clever and fun. And the puzzles were great as well. The game play was very nice and smooth, but I could've used an option to change to full screen. If there was an option, I missed it. : D Of, and you could roll over  the red enemies without taking any damage, not sure if that was intentional.
To sum this up, I had a lot of fun playing this one. Very nicely done! ^^

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 11:32:31 am »
  • You can have my Heart! I have no use for it.
I'm downloading it right now but it makes me wonder why there is no boss at the end of the dungeon? And Tompel it's F4 to toggle between windowed and fullscreen. (game maker's default)

Zelda Untitled - Demo coming soon!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 12:12:19 pm »
Of, and you could roll over  the red enemies without taking any damage, not sure if that was intentional.

It was intentional  XD. If you played Minish Cap, you are able to roll over all enemies as a way of dodging them.

To sum this up, I had a lot of fun playing this one. Very nicely done! ^^

Thanks for the feedback!

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 12:16:15 pm »
I'm downloading it right now but it makes me wonder why there is no boss at the end of the dungeon?

It would take alot of time to make and create. It would require spriting, coding, and of course, an idea worth doing if I wanted to include one. I just wanted to focus on the dungeon aspect of things mostly, so I probably won't add a boss unless people can give me something to be excited about.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 02:38:16 pm »
  • You can have my Heart! I have no use for it.
I'm downloading it right now but it makes me wonder why there is no boss at the end of the dungeon?

It would take alot of time to make and create. It would require spriting, coding, and of course, an idea worth doing if I wanted to include one. I just wanted to focus on the dungeon aspect of things mostly, so I probably won't add a boss unless people can give me something to be excited about.
So you want a original boss or use one that exists already with a new moveset/strategy?

Zelda Untitled - Demo coming soon!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 04:36:55 pm »

So you want a original boss or use one that exists already with a new moveset/strategy?

Anything is good, just so long as it sounds interesting and fun.

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 06:20:22 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
And like I told Milo, the engine is spot-on a match for Minish Cap.
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 05:10:05 pm »
Well, so much for trying to get some helpful critique  :(. I guess people right now are too busy or are just uninterested. Well, at least I got a game done, and that is probably something I should be proud of in itself. Like they always say, its the journey, not the destination that matters, and I did learn alot from working with a plan in mind.

The other reason for this post is that I also forgot to post some concept art that I planned to post earlier (SPOILER ALERT):

Show content

This is just some art of the cloak that you get in the dungeon. It has a particular way of being used, as seen in the third picture, but I will just keep that to myself.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 06:52:31 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you got some feedback...so...
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 07:04:31 pm »

Feedback isn't critique, you know. I was expecting something more detailed responses, but whatever...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:07:33 pm by Milo »

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 07:25:05 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com

Feedback isn't critique, you know. I was expecting something more detailed responses, but whatever...

Oh, really? Okay. Sorry, I forgot, I'm not experienced at all in the field. Forgive my ignorance.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 12:38:45 am »
  • It's just Max.
Dude, you should also give people more than 3 days to get to this :p

I'm away from my laptop until September, but I'm looking forward to playing this, the screenshots look great and from what I can guess about the cloak item, it sounds really awesome. Did you do sprites of Link wearing the cloak?
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 02:38:32 am »
Hi! I felt compelled to make a new account just for this game.

Well I must say. Well done. I love it. I love the soul mechanic. Impressive and unique. I did get stuck at the three random bottoms before the boss room though.

I hope you continue. I love Zelda games that are more focused on puzzle solving then combat.
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 07:04:35 pm »
Hi! I felt compelled to make a new account just for this game.

Well I must say. Well done. I love it. I love the soul mechanic. Impressive and unique. I did get stuck at the three random bottoms before the boss room though.

Thanks  :). Yeah that puzzle was tough, which is why I put it at the end. I don't want to give away the solution because I want people to solve it themselves, but I will give a hint: You will have to use the bombs along with the sword and the cloak. The rest is just timing.

I hope you continue. I love Zelda games that are more focused on puzzle solving then combat.

Unfortunately, I am not going to expand upon the ideas presented here, though maybe I will work on another project like this later on. Other people can use them if they want. I would love to see what they do with them.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 07:27:34 pm »
  • Let's do this.
Oh, I did not noticed that such a great fangame has been released. This thread definetely needs some more attention :D
It has an awesome engine and a there were a lot interesting and working puzzles. Also, the idea of the Spirit Cloak is a very nice one.

PS: If I ever use your idea I tell you. I have some ideas in mind  :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:34:53 pm by Rayo »
This is one of many tales Hylian lore speaks of...

Click here to check out my Deviantart!
  • Zelda Time Walker
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 07:53:01 am »
PS: If I ever use your idea I tell you. I have some ideas in mind  :)

Good to know  XD. I am interested to see what you can do with them. I see you have a neat looking Minish Cap project going already, so it seems like a good fit for it.
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 05:50:11 am »
I feel bad that I did not see this sooner, or if I did my memory eludes me. I really, really loved the dungeon design and like others in this topic have said the spirit cloak was really done well in terms of its mechanics. You also put a lot of effort into the detail work on sounds, animations, etc. which was nice. Thank you for creating something truly wonderful.

Haha, if I could ever get back into active development - I hope to use a ghost-like mechanic and monster possession similar to yours. If I do so I intend to give you full credit. Wow. Thank you again for all the effort and time you put into this project.
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 07:10:12 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Duuuuuude! I finally got the time to play this and it's phenomenal. The engine seems so solid and you've got such great puzzles that I'm honestly a little surprised you didn't try to make a bigger game since you've got such a solid platform to start from. But I can understand not wanting to get really wrapped up in a big fangame yourself when there's so many other things you could be doing.

It was great to see the spirit cloak executed so well and used with such depth. It functioned smoothly, did everything just as I would expect it to and while surprising (in a good way) it still felt natural. I wish all game mechanics were done as well as you did with this. What impressed me most was that with just a couple simple functions (going through walls, leaving your body behind, and possessing armos) you managed to created many different puzzles that kept surprising me with their cleverness. I was literally smiling at some points because the puzzles were so clever. Nice job, man.

There were only a couple points where I can give criticism because almost everything was great and I can't think of much to say other than "awesome". But a few bits:

The room with several armos along the north wall, I have no idea what they were there for. I didn't need to use them to complete any puzzles, they couldn't leave the room, were they just for show? If they didn't have a function, I'd recommend getting rid of them because they confuse the player.

The red blob enemies were awesome, once I realized I needed to hit their inner blobs into the light it was a really fun little battle. But the second time, all I had to do was put on the spirit cloak and I could fight the regular ones as well as the inner ones. It got easier the second time I had to face them. I would have expected it to get harder, and I was honestly expecting that I'd have to knock the inner blobs out, THEN put on the cloak and chase down the little blobs. That seems like the logical development of the battle.

The only other critique I could think of is that the bookshelves seemed arranged pretty randomly. I guess the graphical ambiance of the dungeon could be improved.

But anyway, let us know when you make something else, you've got a ton of talent!
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 07:19:48 am »
The engine is really awesome. Especially the spirit cloak and the unique way to use it are innovative. However the time it takes for the bombs to explode is way too long. Additionaly the vases are too long in the air when you throw them. Maybe the dungeon could have also been more decorative to make it more appealing. But except of these minor points of critisism I really liked this project and it would be great to see a full game with an improved version of this engine. :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 74 queries.

anything