Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 52   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer is dead - long live The Shadowgazer!  (Read 388518 times)

Re: [Demo] The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer ...
« Reply #920 on: March 18, 2009, 06:08:50 pm »
I think you should do what you like most. I'm confident that you will make the right decision, and I'm sure it will be a great game, whichever way you choose.

I wonder what would happen to Gorons and Zoras in an original version though.
« Reply #921 on: March 18, 2009, 09:15:24 pm »
  • Pichuscute
Keep the fan game or just follow whichever you would most want to do, either way, it'll be great.
« Reply #922 on: March 18, 2009, 10:50:34 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
Ultimately it is fully your decision: You do what you want to do with it. I'd prefer it if you finished it as a Zelda game, but if your heart isn't going to be in it as a Zelda game then you have to do it the way you want.

Out of interest, If you do carry it on as a Zelda game, could you show us what you were doing to it as your own IP?

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...

Niamh

« Reply #923 on: March 20, 2009, 07:54:16 pm »
I would be very sad if the Zelda game wasn't completed. However I've just been hoping to get a demo with swordplay. All the game play vids are so appealing. I also can't really see a shadow gazer game without Zelda in it. I am biased towards the Zelda game and I've been patiently waiting for this game to be completed. "Let him take his time, it'll just make it better in quality when it finally does come out," is what I've been telling myself. You can go ahead and make your Shadow Gazer minus the Zelda, but I ask that you at least finish this Zelda game before you start that or come back to it when you're done with the one you've been thinking of making. It's just a shame when people give up on things after losing interest.
« Reply #924 on: March 21, 2009, 01:05:50 pm »
Niamh, he didn't lose interest in making this game. He is just thinking if he should paste the trademark name 'Legend of Zelda' on it. If he does, it is a Zelda game and has many basic things to draw upon. But if he doesn't this title will be completely original and all the intellectual properties will belong to him.

I do agree with you that I would love to see a demo with swordsplay in it with Link, preferably a dungeon or something with a final boss. But ultimately that decision will be King Mob's.
« Reply #925 on: March 21, 2009, 11:35:34 pm »
  • I need something new to put here...
Do you still have the Zelda version of the shadowgazer? All the stuff you were up to when you left with zelda stuff? If so I think a latest demo of that game and a demo of the new non-zelda game, to help people with their choice.

If you no longer have the zelda file, then go with whatever you are closest too in terms of music and graphics and gameplay. If most of your graphics, music, and basic gameplay (ie. items and that) are all still Zelda, go for Zelda. If they're mostly this new project, go for the new project.

Most people believe this project to be able to 'save' ZFGC. If you go with the un-Zeldarised project you could maybe donate some of your programming and etc. to the community project in order to help with a new fantastic zfgc project. ;) No pressure either way, though, I reckon either way you go this game will still be fantastic.
« Reply #926 on: March 22, 2009, 12:03:25 pm »
Hard decision there, it ain't everyday you get this opportunity.
Personally i think you should go with the Zelda version as making it into a original game would result in changing styles and a LOT of spriting since you can't use the MC style (yada, yada, copyright Nintendo stuff), massive recoding and needing to make up new names for Zelda as an example.
However it is still your Choice, Do what you think is the best.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #927 on: March 24, 2009, 07:11:37 am »
  • Silly cat!
Hard decision there, it ain't everyday you get this opportunity.
Personally i think you should go with the Zelda version as making it into a original game would result in changing styles and a LOT of spriting since you can't use the MC style (yada, yada, copyright Nintendo stuff), massive recoding and needing to make up new names for Zelda as an example.
However it is still your Choice, Do what you think is the best.
Except he'll kinda get paid for his work. You know, instead of getting no money at all.

Hoffy.
« Reply #928 on: March 24, 2009, 08:44:18 am »
That he gets paid is uncertain. Is I read it. He got an offer that he accepted, but in the end the deal was called off. He put work in it to make it an original title and a Zelda fan game. Now he needs to make a decision:

1) Make an original title, that he might be able to sell, if he finds a publisher. He owns everthing of the game. He doesn't have a legacy to build on and has to create a new cast for a number of the main and extra characters he used from the Zelda legacy. Also sprites and tiles coming from Nintendo games can't be used anymore. And sprites and tiles custom made by others can't be used.
Advantage: You can get money for it.
Disadvantage: It is a lot of work and you need brilliant concept that isn't to Zelda-ish.

2) Make it the Zelda fan game as originally intended. He won't be able to make money of it, but he can still use it in his resume for job applications. With a lot of luck Nintendo might publish it and give you a small portion of royalties (I seriously doubt this will happen). On the other hand he can use a lot of sprites and tiles from the Zelda games and use the Zelda legacy to build his story on.
Advantage: A legacy to use and less work in making tiles and sprites.
Disadvantage: You most likely can't make money of it.

So the choice is King Mobs. Making money requires work and you still have to sell it to a publisher. (Publisher still includes on line webgame sites and the likes). But work has been done on both versions already.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:12:33 am by Niek »

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #929 on: March 24, 2009, 10:25:29 am »
  • Silly cat!
That he gets paid is uncertain. Is I read it. He got an offer that he accepted, but in the end the deal was called off. He put work in it to make it an original title and a Zelda fan game. Now he needs to make a decision:

1) Make an original title, that he might be able to sell, if he finds a publisher. He owns everthing of the game. He doesn't have a legacy to build on and has to create a new cast for a number of the main and extra characters he used from the Zelda legacy. Also sprites and tiles coming from Nintendo games can't be used anymore. And sprites and tiles custom made by others can't be used.
Advantage: You can get money for it.
Disadvantage: It is a lot of work and you need brilliant concept that isn't to Zelda-ish.

2) Make it the Zelda fan game as originally intended. He won't be able to make money of it, but he can still use it in his resume for job applications. With a lot of luck Nintendo might publish it and give you a small portion of royalties (I seriously doubt this will happen). On the other hand he can use a lot of sprites and tiles from the Zelda games and use the Zelda legacy to build his story on.
Advantage: A legacy to use and less work in making tiles and sprites.
Disadvantage: You most likely can't make money of it.

So the choice is King Mobs. Making money requires work and you still have to sell it to a publisher. (Publisher still includes on line webgame sites and the likes). But work has been done on both versions already.
You're over-complicating it.

Advantage for Original Game: Possible profits, an excellent addition to King Mob's portfolio, when job-seeking.
Disadvantage for Original Game: A lot of work, true, but either way King Mob is still putting in hard work to get a great result. If it's not Zelda-ish, then that's good too, original content is excellent.
Advantage of Zelda fan game: It'll appetise the Zelda fan gaming community, and it's a great addition to the King Mob's portfolio, when job-seeking.
Disadvantage of Zelda fan game: No profit.

Basically, King Mob won't be losing anything from making an original game, except it's (a lot) more work. A Zelda fan game will get him nowhere, apart from the pleasing of the internet for a couple of hours. An original concept, with original content (which King Mob is obviously completely capable of) would benefit him in every way.

Hoffy.

gm112

« Reply #930 on: March 24, 2009, 10:27:46 am »
Or he could just do both >__>.. do whichever first, then complete the other. I honestly see no point in discontinuing the Zelda version as it's been in development for what... almost 3 years now? I don't think all of that time spent on this should be gone to waste, and as for an "original game" I think that idea is fuckin awesome at the same time.
« Reply #931 on: March 24, 2009, 10:50:11 am »

Hey guys, long time no see. Got some news.

First thing is, contrary to what you may have heard, I haven't taken The Shadowgazer to another board. ZFGC has been a good home to this game and I wasn't gonna just abandon it without an explanation.

So what has been going on? A couple of ex/current ZFGCers know but I've put off making it common knowledge until I actually knew the situation myself.

Some time ago I was approached by the owner of a development studio who wanted to see if I was open to the idea of turning The Shadowgazer into an original IP for a potential DS/PSP/mobile release. After some deliberation, and having checked the guy's credentials, I agreed. Basically, I'd be stupid to pass an opportunity like that up, right? :P Well, as I say, that was some time ago and only recently has it turned out that it's NOT gonna happen now.

Without going into why (out of professional courtesy) the resulting situation is that I've been working on turning The Shadowgazer into an original game for months now and The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer as-was has been all but abandoned.

Which leaves me with a decision to make: do I press on with turning the game into my own, original, intellectual property, or do I pick up where I left off, making my little Zelda fan game? There's a lot for me to consider there and I really don't know at this stage which way it could go.

So yeah, just thought I'd let you know what's been going on. I appreciate there's little in the way of details there but I'll update again when I make my decision. Feel free to coax me one way or the other... ;)

Cheers,

KM
Too bad that deal didn't work out for you, because it could've been a entry pass to the game industry. However if it worked out I think it would be marked as a zelda clone. I think you should just continue your Zelda fangame. And once you're finished with it start a real original game. And if it's real good, who knows what it might bring you. :)

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #932 on: March 25, 2009, 01:48:52 am »
"The Shadowgazer Chronicles, inspired by the Legend of Zelda: Shadowgazer!"
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #933 on: March 25, 2009, 06:50:41 pm »
I won't be doing both. It will be one or the other.

Nice to be able to gauge what you all think though, thanks. I'll let you know what I decide soon.
« Reply #934 on: March 27, 2009, 02:36:29 am »
  • Modrill made the avatar. I command you to like it.
Go with the original IP decision. Seriously. A fan game won't bring you bread to your house (you do it because you like doing it, not for the money).

Like you said, you'd be stupid to let this chance pass you by. If anything, someone can heck your original version into a Zelda themed version. It can happen. Just look at the thriving romhacking community... And some of them probably do simple graphic hacks just for their own amusement. So go with the original IP... someone else will make sure we get "Zelda" Shadowgazer.

My Brawl FC is 1289-8196-4511. Don't expect me to be on all the time though.
  • Super Smash Karts
« Reply #935 on: March 27, 2009, 10:15:19 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
Go with the original IP decision. Seriously. A fan game won't bring you bread to your house (you do it because you like doing it, not for the money).

Like you said, you'd be stupid to let this chance pass you by. If anything, someone can heck your original version into a Zelda themed version. It can happen. Just look at the thriving romhacking community... And some of them probably do simple graphic hacks just for their own amusement. So go with the original IP... someone else will make sure we get "Zelda" Shadowgazer.

He took the chance, but then it turned out it was never going to happen, so he's asking himself whether to go for a fan game or stick with the Zelda.

Just remember, if you go with the original, it'd be of great assistance if you gave some sprites and coding to the community project.

lklk111

« Reply #936 on: March 27, 2009, 10:02:29 pm »
The "Zelda"????  :huh:
lol, someone is gonna have to explain to me what that means :P
Anyways, If you do the Fan Game, who knows what could happen, Lots of people are waiting for this, it might open up doors for you in the gaming world.
« Reply #937 on: March 27, 2009, 10:20:14 pm »
Not much to say than:

Go for broke with the original game.
Not only does it open better doors(IMO) than a zelda game, but you could always port it to say LIVE and try to make a few buck off of it(or some other indy publishing whatever).

My opinoin doesn't matter, but if I had your skills, I'd make the original idea.

Note: Before I hear ,"GM CANNOT BE PORTED TO XBOX LIVE!!!"... STFU lol.
I was meaning as in recoding using XNA and C# :p
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #938 on: March 27, 2009, 10:35:31 pm »
  • Xiphirx
Not much to say than:

Go for broke with the original game.
Not only does it open better doors(IMO) than a zelda game, but you could always port it to say LIVE and try to make a few buck off of it(or some other indy publishing whatever).

My opinoin doesn't matter, but if I had your skills, I'd make the original idea.

Note: Before I hear ,"GM CANNOT BE PORTED TO XBOX LIVE!!!"... STFU lol.
I was meaning as in recoding using XNA and C# :p

GM CANNOT BE PORTED TO X-- wait er...

Well, you COULD make it indie but that would take most of the elements away to make it non-Zelda right?
  • For The Swarm

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #939 on: March 28, 2009, 07:49:30 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Lots of good games could be accused of being Zelda-ish. I think you should follow your heart, and mind, with this decision. If you feel you've invested too much time into making a Zelda game, keep it as a Zelda game. If you feel that you could do more with this as an IP, do that. It's your choice, and whatever the outcome, I wish you luck.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 52   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 74 queries.

anything