Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: So did anyone else just suddenly get bored with making fan games?  (Read 4760 times)

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
Re: So did anyone else just suddenly get bored w...
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 11:29:14 pm »
Yeah, I think that's the problem. Masses of people decided they wanted to make games, most of them inexperienced to no end. And usually, they only planned ahead not TOO far.

At one point, they all came to realize that their idea stinked and didn't work out. That's how they all got frustrated and most of them claimed that it is impossible to make a game.

Hence, nobody even wants to try it anymore. Only a few people do.

That's how I see it. @___@
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 12:03:18 am »
I should see if Tom can provide us with some college literature on game making.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2007, 12:41:26 am »
Explain this Unity thing to me, with wikipedia and urls.

Wikipedia doesn't have anything about it.

http://unity3d.com/unity/

http://unity3d.com/gallery/

From there just look around the rest of the site. :3

This is what Moldorma is making the games that me and him design in. We are going to start on a game that will be sold to the Mac Masses very soon. You Windows users can't play any more than the demos we will hand out later, but you can sure as hell donate to the cause! The cause being us getting a very large sum of money from the purchases of the game and the donations to help pay for Unity Pro. This allows many more awesome features like shadows and... uh... that's all I can think of for new features right now. But there are PLENTY more. And the ability to export to Windows. :D
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2007, 01:08:17 am »
  • [sic]
Don't Unity games play in a browser plugin, though?
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 01:17:56 am »
Don't Unity games play in a browser plugin, though?

Thats what the demos will be in. Which everyone can play if they has an internet. But when you pay for a game it downloads it. But it only works on Macs for Unity Indie. :/
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2007, 01:40:02 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
Unity can publish to various formats, Kame. There's the infamous Web Player of which I post so much, but there's also Mac Standalone, PC Standalone, and Mac OS X Dashboard Widget. The only one Unity Indie can't publish is PC Standalone, which is really Pro's biggest selling point. Of course there are more reasons to shell out for Pro, such as real-time shadows, and tons of insanely cool graphical effects (reflection, refraction, putting a camera's view on a texture (think Jumbotron screens at a sports game)). Its endlessly awesome.

On topic however, no, I didn't get bored of making Fangames. I'm making one right now. In Unity. And Bluemonkey is going to stop judging programs that he's never used. :D
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 02:03:07 am »
Meh. .___. Sometimes I wish one day lasted 30 hours instead of 24... XD Maybe this way I'd be able to do everything I want to. :P
AGREED AGREED AGREED *slams mallet on table*

I'm the only person I know offline who would rather have more time awake than asleep. I can't do everything I want to do between school and sleeping.

On the subject of losing interest in stuff...really, I haven't been working with fan game stuff for very long (not if you consider my lengthy absence, anyway), so I can't say I'm bored with it yet. But writing fiction was something I used to love doing...and recently, every time I open up a word document, my mind is blank and I can't get anything worthwhile written. Then I get bored and go do something else. Kinda sucks...
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 04:45:20 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
Also, when I finish Zo3, in the distant future; my plan is to finally continue the overall forum hit "Kirby's Rebound", but this time I'll do it in 3D.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 05:01:08 am »
The problem is that the projects here are really long, so its nearly impossible to keep interest.

People who make smaller projects get them finished, and also gives them a lot of motivation to finish larger ones in the future.
  • Google Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 05:08:26 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
Yeah. This project (Zo3) in its planning stage was a full 3D Zelda adventure with totally custom graphics, 5 or some dungeons, and two whole worlds. Then I realized I was totally insane.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2007, 07:06:44 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
Well...it kind of happens in spurts for me. I will work on a game for a week straight, 8 hours+ a day, then get bored and not work on it for 3 months, then get back to it.

But I also agree that the age shift is growing rapidly, and there is no one who wants to make games that are bridging the gap. Another problem may be that there were numerous large games being started that either failed or are slowed down to a grinding halt. Not to mention that there are very few finished games to motivate people...oh well.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2007, 12:00:22 pm »
I've given up on playing or making fan games. Everything has been done before. It's old. Time to grow up =D.
the a o d c

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2007, 12:11:44 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Theres nothing for people in fan-gaming. Theres no room for advancement, no real perks at all for them. Its kewl if you're using an already existing concept to learn a new programming language and get the feel for it, but otherwise whats the point? I've been at ZFGC since 03'... since damn near when it was created in the first place... and its quite sad to see everyone is still doing the same thing, and never actually making it into the industry
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2007, 10:37:36 am »
ACTUALLY Mamo, Gorthwogh made it into the industry by his "Xelda Online" game. They were interested in his server application =O.
the a o d c

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2007, 10:42:11 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
ACTUALLY Mamo, Gorthwogh made it into the industry by his "Xelda Online" game. They were interested in his server application =O.

*pokes* the game isnt really a *fangame*... its inspired by Zelda obviously (as its a parody), but theres no real link to the series (no pun intended) :P that doesnt really count

(or I've found the wrong Xelda)

EDIT: Yes I've found the wrong Xelda rofl
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 10:50:16 am by Mamoruanime »
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2007, 11:23:53 am »
Told you, teehee. Now Gorth works doing C# Applications for some company last time I checked.
the a o d c
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2007, 12:34:15 pm »
  • Personal Text
I get bored with my fan games a lot. As everyone knows XD.
I keep going on Hiatus for Forbidden Kingdom, and LONG hiatus for Majora's Mask DX. plus theres also my other Mario fan game :P
Does anyone have any tips to how I can be more active?
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2007, 11:11:25 pm »
I got tired of it a year and a half ago.  I realized I wasn't going to get anything out of it so I stopped.  I've moved on to learning to make actual games.  I'm in college for a Bachelors Degree in Game Art!

under the alias DarkLink6235
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 73 queries.