Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1792 times)

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
Dwarf Fortress
« on: February 17, 2009, 04:40:57 pm »
  • b e p i s
I had read a ton about this game on /v/, and decided to finally jump in and try to learn how to play it.

This might be the BEST game I've played in YEARS. It's so deep! You literally manage every single little aspect of almost everything going on...just the terrain generation screen is absolutely fascinating. For anyone with some patience and willingness to overcome the ASCII graphics, it's highly recommended.

And a shot of my own fortress:

Here a bunch of my dwarves are on break in the dining hall, and it appears my food stockpiles are kind of gross: there is a corpse on the ground (probably a rat or roach my cats killed) and a swarm of flies. My stone stockpiles to the left though are looking very nice, with a good stash of conglomerate and chalk to save for making crafts I can sell when the trade caravans come back. Over the winter, they're going to hibernate and expand downwards, probably building private quarters for everyone.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:47:12 pm by Dantztron 3030 »
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:22:03 pm »
Here a bunch of my dwarves are on break in the dining hall, and it appears my food stockpiles are kind of gross: there is a corpse on the ground (probably a rat or roach my cats killed) and a swarm of flies. My stone stockpiles to the left though are looking very nice, with a good stash of conglomerate and chalk to save for making crafts I can sell when the trade caravans come back. Over the winter, they're going to hibernate and expand downwards, probably building private quarters for everyone.

How do you have so much free time?

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:43:48 pm »
  • b e p i s

How do you have so much free time?

Hahaha, I really don't...thankfully there has been a lull in my schoolwork this week, and I've found more time to play. This is probably the first game I've gotten this into in ages.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:27:21 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I used to play this games loads, but my PC has !@#$% RAM and processor and my laptop has a !@#$% graphics card, meaning neither can run it very fast. On the latter I get low FPS consistently, on the former I get 100-200 FPS with just 7 Dwarves so long as my population doesn't climb over 20 I'm fine except for the giant sieges I get eventually (Five squads of orcs (modded in) are pure evil). So yeah, mega-water-projects and giant kitten murdering machines were somewhat out of my limits :(

As far as "roguelikes" go, this game is definitely one of, if not the best, both in Fortress and Adventure mode :)

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:33:18 pm »
  • b e p i s
I used to play this games loads, but my PC has !@#$% RAM and processor and my laptop has a !@#$% graphics card, meaning neither can run it very fast. On the latter I get low FPS consistently, on the former I get 100-200 FPS with just 7 Dwarves so long as my population doesn't climb over 20 I'm fine except for the giant sieges I get eventually (Five squads of orcs (modded in) are pure evil). So yeah, mega-water-projects and giant kitten murdering machines were somewhat out of my limits :(

As far as "roguelikes" go, this game is definitely one of, if not the best, both in Fortress and Adventure mode :)

What exactly is the point of Adventure mode? I haven't played it yet.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:25:04 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
It's basically like any other roguelike. You go around killing monsters and such to become more powerful, do quests to kill Megabeasts and Semimegabeasts, get bored and raise towns to the ground, run around murdering elves by ripping our their eyes (always a pleasure).

Of course with Dwarf Fortresses combat engine you can get some preeeety interesting fights. Since it tracks pain on pretty much every part of every combatents body and since you can be blinded and have your arms ripped off and such, it can lead to some pretty awesome adventures. Getting your arm ripped off by a Titan, killing it then wandering around as a one-armed warrior is always fun.

Also with the combat engine, you can be a god who can kill dragons without blinking, but one lucky arrow can still pierce your heart and bring you down.

Plus you can visit your old fortresses, even combat the new occupants of the place who claimed it when your dwaves fled/died. Or, as was my case, get murdered by the one surviving beserk dwarven child.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:29:07 am by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 11:33:46 am »
This is the first game I have ever seen in my life that turned me completely off because of the graphics!

olulz dat means im a graphics !@#$% nau!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 01:10:43 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
It's traditional ASCII graphics. You've never played Rogue? Heh, don't worry. Eventually you get used to the 'matrix', and instead of seeing characters you'll see "Dwarf, Goblin, exploding kitten leg". Always fun :)

It removes the strain of producing graphics from the programmer, a D is a perfectly find replacement for a Dragon. Not only does this free up valuable CPU ticks from calculating animation and loading complex graphics for each individual animal present (everything can be represented in one small spritsheet) to instead calculate whether or not all the kittens in your magma chamber have melted yet, but also means Toady need spend more of his attention implementing the awesome features as this game...well, features.

It also makes modding the game a damn sight easier. Thanks to the Orc mod never have I been so terrified by a bunch of O's swarming an army of smiley faces.

You could replace the ASCII with another tileset if you liked, it's not difficult, but come on, ASCII is awesome :D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:31:57 pm by TheDarkJay »

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 01:35:44 pm »
  • b e p i s
This is the first game I have ever seen in my life that turned me completely off because of the graphics!

God, can you type a post without exclamation points EVER?

I can understand why though, but trust me when I say it's worth it. The ASCII is why I didn't play this game for so long.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 07:14:09 pm »

Pretty much this.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 07:34:49 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
The graphics aren't at all a difficult aspect of getting your head around this game (and I still fail to see the problem with ASCII), it's that they is not a learning curve. They exists a great learning wall of China.

Still haven't completely got my head around the whole power and gears system :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 07:36:20 pm by TheDarkJay »

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 08:31:42 pm »
  • b e p i s

Pretty much this.

Honestly, I would find it tougher to play Dwarf Fortress in some ways WITH proper graphics. There is simply so much information the game has to keep track of, and once you get into the game ASCII actually somewhat simplifies what you have to deal with. Again, just with certain things; I certainly wouldn't turn down a 3D version of the game!

in b4 "no, they're bad"
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 03:45:22 am »
  • :D
Hm, I've always had trouble getting into ASCII games (Nethack, rogue), but I trust your judgement... I'll try it out.  Not until the week after next though, !@#$% massive amount of schoolwork between me and the end of the trimester.

Tet

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 05:15:46 am »
  • I believe. I believe in ghosts.
The first thing that I can say about Dwarf Fortress:
;_;

Don't even try to play it without help.
Video tutorial collection (if you can get past this guy's accent) Here

The wiki Here

If you don't like the ASCII, there's always custom tilesets.
Pre-packed game releases, I use this one here.

Adventure mode is horribly underdeveloped at this point, don't bother with it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:20:09 am by Tet »
n__n
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 11:11:17 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I kinda like it. What's underdeveloped about it? You can do more in adventure mode than you can in most roguelikes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 67 queries.