Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: [DEMO]The Legend Of Zelda: Scepter Of Distortion  (Read 23775 times)

[DEMO]The Legend Of Zelda: Scepter Of Distortion
« on: June 08, 2009, 08:56:19 am »
  • Team Dekunutz
The Legend of Zelda: The Sceptre of Distortion

Proceeding the events of The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time,
Ganon has managed to, with his last will before being sealed within
the Seal of Time, overload his Triforce of Power, therefore causing
the world to erupt into chaos, and causing the Triforce of Power to
shatter all across Hyrule.

Now the 3 Hyrulian Godesses are angered, and they have abandoned all
inhabitants of their land. Several Sacred Temples, necessary to
maintaining peace within Hyrule have been disrupted, and their sacred
guardians cursed with Ganon's forbidden seal.

The Lone Hero of Time, Link, must gather the fallen Triforce of Power,
restore the Sacred Temples' tranquillity, permanently banish Ganon,
and restore Hyrule to it's peaceful state.

Unseen obstacles await Link as he ventures into what may be the
most defining moment of his life.

Controls:
- IJKL are move.
- Action Key is A (rolling, lifting, placing, throwing, talking, opening doors)
- Sword is S (You can hold it down and release for spin attack)
- Bow and Arrow is 1

Download
http://www.box.net/shared/xnor2vytn3 - Lastest Version as of 6th June

Bugs
I know there are a few bugs and whatnot, but you may aswell post them if you find any.

VIA Productions Team
- Cypras (Team Leader, Programmer)
- Icey (Main Designer, Map Tiler)
- Sm. (Main Designer, spriter)
- Mega_Virus (Spriters, Ideas)
- Ethelon (Ideas, temple layouts)
- Hedanito (New member)

Update Log
Starting now.

The reason this has been posted is because motivation has been a bit lost; we are hoping to gain motivation again by your responces. This is not a demo, it's just what we have so far.

Game Maker Phoenix has been a great help in getting this far with the game. Please join the forums and talk about it there, if not here. There is a link in my signature.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:07:21 pm by Bludleef »

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
Re: The Legend Of Zelda: Scepter Of Distortion
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 08:19:42 pm »
Storyline is odd. Why would the goddesses be mad at the Hylians for what Ganon caused? Link defeated him at the end of OoT. Now, it would be another story if, say, instead of the people following the footsteps of the hero, they sought the Triforce of Power for their own gain.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

Broojo02

Derp
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 10:04:29 pm »
  • Faster horsey!
The Link to the download is messed up, I tried changing it bit cant get the right file. Never heard of the .zipx extension.

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 10:50:55 pm »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
zipx? cant open it
Pixelated Tree. | I make crappy Youtube videos now.
XBL- aaronshatonyou | PSN- cpt ehren | Steam- cptehren
  • Pixelated Tree
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 03:36:28 am »
  • Team Dekunutz
Sorry about the download, had my laptop stolen recently. It's fixed now though.

icey17

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 03:43:20 am »
Storyline is odd. Why would the goddesses be mad at the Hylians for what Ganon caused? Link defeated him at the end of OoT. Now, it would be another story if, say, instead of the people following the footsteps of the hero, they sought the Triforce of Power for their own gain.

The godesses have been driven mad by the trifroce of power pieces, and link needs to restore there beneveloent emotions...
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 06:11:06 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
The godesses have been driven mad by the trifroce of power pieces, and link needs to restore there beneveloent emotions...

It still doesn't make sense to me.

This does though. If the people started to seek the shattered pieces of the Triforce of Power out of greed and a lust for power, then the goddesses would have reason to be angry with the people and so abandon them. But being mad at everyone for what Ganon did just doesn't make sense.

And if some people got a hold of a piece they could become consumed by it and they would transform into a beast-like thing, being a boss that you'd have to defeat in order to obtain the triforce piece. It'd be kinda cool to see a Hylian transform into a beast because of their greed for the power... wait, that sounds a lot like what happened to Ganondorf when he turned in to Ganon... hmm. Maybe that's why I think it sounds good.  :)

Also, at the end of OoT, it shows Ganon being locked away and it doesn't show him overloading the Triforce of Power in the cut scene. And after that it has a tad bit more story that doesn't fit with yours because there is no chaos following immediately afterward. I'm pretty sure the ending credits don't show much "chaos" and stuff but instead show nice little cut scenes of happy peoples (I could be thinking of MM's ending...?)... just saying, you might want to change it up a bit. Somehow, you'd need a little delay before your story starts if you want it to work.

Anyway, the story is a huge part of a game for me. To me, if the story fails, so does the game. Anyway, besides that, the game looks nice! Good luck with it! :)

(And that sucks about your lappy. Very not cool there :()
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:12:42 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 04:38:57 am »
  • Team Dekunutz
This does though. If the people started to seek the shattered pieces of the Triforce of Power out of greed and a lust for power, then the goddesses would have reason to be angry with the people and so abandon them. But being mad at everyone for what Ganon did just doesn't make sense.

And if some people got a hold of a piece they could become consumed by it and they would transform into a beast-like thing, being a boss that you'd have to defeat in order to obtain the triforce piece. It'd be kinda cool to see a Hylian transform into a beast because of their greed for the power... wait, that sounds a lot like what happened to Ganondorf when he turned in to Ganon... hmm. Maybe that's why I think it sounds good.  Smiley

Also, at the end of OoT, it shows Ganon being locked away and it doesn't show him overloading the Triforce of Power in the cut scene. And after that it has a tad bit more story that doesn't fit with yours because there is no chaos following immediately afterward. I'm pretty sure the ending credits don't show much "chaos" and stuff but instead show nice little cut scenes of happy peoples (I could be thinking of MM's ending...?)... just saying, you might want to change it up a bit. Somehow, you'd need a little delay before your story starts if you want it to work.

Anyway, the story is a huge part of a game for me. To me, if the story fails, so does the game. Anyway, besides that, the game looks nice! Good luck with it! Smiley

(And that sucks about your lappy. Very not cool there)
Okay yeah well, the story might need some tweaking. But the gameplay? You liked it? That's good. But I am not sure we are going to continue with this game as it's not very popular and we have lost the motivation.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 05:28:16 am »
  • b e p i s

And if some people got a hold of a piece they could become consumed by it and they would transform into a beast-like thing, being a boss that you'd have to defeat in order to obtain the triforce piece. It'd be kinda cool to see a Hylian transform into a beast because of their greed for the power... wait, that sounds a lot like what happened to Ganondorf when he turned in to Ganon... hmm. Maybe that's why I think it sounds good.  Smiley

Anyway, the story is a huge part of a game for me. To me, if the story fails, so does the game. Anyway, besides that, the game looks nice! Good luck with it! Smiley

(And that sucks about your lappy. Very not cool there)
Okay yeah well, the story might need some tweaking. But the gameplay? You liked it? That's good. But I am not sure we are going to continue with this game as it's not very popular and we have lost the motivation.

If everyone in the world did that with everything ever created, how do you think people would make things?
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 06:02:37 am »

The story needs a lot of tweaking. I can't say anything about the gameplay, because I can't download the demo. If I click the link I first get Address not found, which is understandable because 'http://" ... " is put around the address. When I remove that it leads me to a wikipedia page about HTTP.

But there isn't a point in playing it now, because the project won't finish. I do have a question. How do you make it night? Are you throwing some kind of mask over it or do you use a complete separate set of tiles and sprites?
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 07:26:15 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"

Actually, I was just referring to the screen shots because I can't get the download to work either. Same problem as Niek.

As for motivation. Remember, nothing good comes easy. You'll never complete a game if you only work on it when you feel like it, at least, not a good game anyway. The trick is, think about where the project will be when it's done, visualize the completed game in all it's glory and let that motivate you! Yay for motivation! ^_^

Maybe no one is interested because they can't download the game...?
If you fix the download link, I'll play it and give you some feedback. :)

EDIT:

I figured out what was wrong with the Link. Here is the right one:
http://www.box.net/shared/xnor2vytn3

Also, I played your game and it actually isn't bad, not bad at all! I see real potential. You really shouldn't give this up.

My only problems with it are the sword swinging a tad too slow. Also you can't walk while charging your sword. You can't walk while holding back the bow and the arrows need to use proper alignment coding because they often would hit the wall before actually reaching the wall, so they stop in mid air.

The day/night system is a good start. That transition between the two was done well if you want to avoid a slow darkening to night and a slow light up to day time. The engine seems pretty solid. I did get sorta stuck in a person when trying to talk to them, but besides that, the rolling is nice, the fairy is done pretty well and the control of Link feels pretty good.

My advice, listen to people's criticism and keep working on the project, iron out all the bugs, and you will have a very nice game going. ^_^
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 07:45:46 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 08:31:10 am »
OK. I just downloaded the game by quoting the first post and than copy/paste this link (http://www.box.net/shared/xnor2vytn3) in a new tab.

Am I correct in guessing that the Town Dillocheck is the only area you can go about? Because if not, the roads out of the town don't work.

Here are somethings I like to mention:
1) The controls: The arrow keys don't work, instead I, J, K, and L keys have to be used. For walking.
2) Day time ends in like 20 seconds and night lasts forever.
3) When Link leaves the house he gets approached by a kid that starts to talk to Link. He says that you, mustn't forget Navi and after that there seems to be a conversation between navi and the kid. It is however unclear who says what. In these cases where multiple characters say something it would be nice to have an obvious indication of who's turn it is. By starting with a name (in color preferred) for example.
4) The kid also gives you the assignment to go to his father. But he doesn't say who it is and how to recognize him. The assignment is unclear.
5) Wtf, is with some of the houses? See 1.jpg
6) The window of the game always jumps to the center of the screen when I go in or out of a house. Also the size of the window changes at those times. What is up with that? See 2.jpg
7) I like the charging of the sword. The ring of lights is a really nice touch, but I can't move when I'm charging and still it plays a walking animation.
8 ) In some places the HUD is obscured, like in buildings. Together with the small resolution makes the HUD a bit invisible. I've added an attachment (3.jpg) that shows my desktop with your game.
9) Why press 1 to use the bow?

Well are my comments on the demo. And don't give up on making the game, just because you lack motivation. Maybe it is time you start to focus on different aspects, like just making random sprites (not necessarily for the game) or fantasize on how the story will be. Switch tasks. Or experiment with some technical stuff, which might be valuable for the game or not. But don't stop, because you won't start up again.

PS: I still want to know about the night thingy.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:50:14 am by Niek »
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 03:56:09 am »
  • Team Dekunutz
Actually, I was just referring to the screen shots because I can't get the download to work either. Same problem as Niek.

As for motivation. Remember, nothing good comes easy. You'll never complete a game if you only work on it when you feel like it, at least, not a good game anyway. The trick is, think about where the project will be when it's done, visualize the completed game in all it's glory and let that motivate you! Yay for motivation! ^_^

Maybe no one is interested because they can't download the game...?
If you fix the download link, I'll play it and give you some feedback. Smiley

EDIT:

I figured out what was wrong with the Link. Here is the right one:
http://www.box.net/shared/xnor2vytn3

Also, I played your game and it actually isn't bad, not bad at all! I see real potential. You really shouldn't give this up.

My only problems with it are the sword swinging a tad too slow. Also you can't walk while charging your sword. You can't walk while holding back the bow and the arrows need to use proper alignment coding because they often would hit the wall before actually reaching the wall, so they stop in mid air.

The day/night system is a good start. That transition between the two was done well if you want to avoid a slow darkening to night and a slow light up to day time. The engine seems pretty solid. I did get sorta stuck in a person when trying to talk to them, but besides that, the rolling is nice, the fairy is done pretty well and the control of Link feels pretty good.

My advice, listen to people's criticism and keep working on the project, iron out all the bugs, and you will have a very nice game going. ^_^

Okay, yeah. Sorry about the link, i tried to fix it; but zfgc keeps on adding that stupid http:// infront of it.

That's a good a way of looking at it I suppose, i'm more motivated now knowing people can actually help me with ideas and suggestions on the demo etc. I can fix those things there that you suggested, no problem. You wouldn't happen to have link walking with the bow sprites. would you?

Thanks, sorry about getting stuck in that person :P Will work on it.

OK. I just downloaded the game by quoting the first post and than copy/paste this link (http://www.box.net/shared/xnor2vytn3) in a new tab.

Am I correct in guessing that the Town Dillocheck is the only area you can go about? Because if not, the roads out of the town don't work.

Here are somethings I like to mention:
1) The controls: The arrow keys don't work, instead I, J, K, and L keys have to be used. For walking.
2) Day time ends in like 20 seconds and night lasts forever.
3) When Link leaves the house he gets approached by a kid that starts to talk to Link. He says that you, mustn't forget Navi and after that there seems to be a conversation between navi and the kid. It is however unclear who says what. In these cases where multiple characters say something it would be nice to have an obvious indication of who's turn it is. By starting with a name (in color preferred) for example.
4) The kid also gives you the assignment to go to his father. But he doesn't say who it is and how to recognize him. The assignment is unclear.
5) Wtf, is with some of the houses? See 1.jpg
6) The window of the game always jumps to the center of the screen when I go in or out of a house. Also the size of the window changes at those times. What is up with that? See 2.jpg
7) I like the charging of the sword. The ring of lights is a really nice touch, but I can't move when I'm charging and still it plays a walking animation.
8 ) In some places the HUD is obscured, like in buildings. Together with the small resolution makes the HUD a bit invisible. I've added an attachment (3.jpg) that shows my desktop with your game.
9) Why press 1 to use the bow?

Well are my comments on the demo. And don't give up on making the game, just because you lack motivation. Maybe it is time you start to focus on different aspects, like just making random sprites (not necessarily for the game) or fantasize on how the story will be. Switch tasks. Or experiment with some technical stuff, which might be valuable for the game or not. But don't stop, because you won't start up again.

PS: I still want to know about the night thingy.

Dillocheck is the only room, yes.

1) Sorry about that, my mistake. Controls are just test controls at the moment.
2) It only lasts like 20seconds, so if you didn't play the demo for long you wouldn't have seen night.
3) Okay, will make the clearly, no problem.
4) Will work on it.
5) Yeah the houses were edited to make them look different from eachother, can you do a better job?
6) Sorry, will work on it.
7) Yet again, will work on it. :P
8 ) Yip, okay.
9) Test controls.

You guys here, giving motivation with all the flaws/bugs you pointed out gives me something to work on. Thanks.

For night, I have used different tilesets and have 2 sub-images in sprites for day and night time. The black fade for the changing of day/night is for the backgrounds and objects to change to their night time images.

I don't suppose any of you found the grandma's glasses? :P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:12:01 am by Cypras »
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 05:03:22 am »

Nope, was that something you could do? You should clarify these things then with something like: "I seem to have lost my glasses, without them I can't see. Could you help me find them? They must be somewhere in the village."
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 05:12:29 am »
  • Team Dekunutz
Sorry :P.

Well they are above her in the haystack. There is a bug where if you enter a house and go back outside she will dissappear, but i just fixed that. :P
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 06:25:53 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
You wouldn't happen to have link walking with the bow sprites. would you?

TSR has the sprites. Here is the link to the sprite sheet:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/gameboy_advance/lozminish/sheet/6369
It's the 5th row from the top. I know the actual bow is missing (looks like Link is holding air), so you'd have to insert the bow yourself. Or, if you don't want to do it yourself and if you aren't in a hurry, I could insert the bow for you and post the sprites here. But first I have another set of sprites that I'm working on for Martijn dh. I'll be glad to help if you need that done though.

No problem. Collisions tend to be problematic within GM games.

You guys here, giving motivation with all the flaws/bugs you pointed out gives me something to work on. Thanks.

Sure thing! I'm glad you're feeling more motivated. :)

Nope, so I'm just gonna have to play it some more. ^_^
  • My Music
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 07:09:56 am »
  • Team Dekunutz
You wouldn't happen to have link walking with the bow sprites. would you?

TSR has the sprites. Here is the link to the sprite sheet:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/gameboy_advance/lozminish/sheet/6369
It's the 5th row from the top. I know the actual bow is missing (looks like Link is holding air), so you'd have to insert the bow yourself. Or, if you don't want to do it yourself and if you aren't in a hurry, I could insert the bow for you and post the sprites here. But first I have another set of sprites that I'm working on for Martijn dh. I'll be glad to help if you need that done though.

No problem. Collisions tend to be problematic within GM games.

Sure thing! I'm glad you're feeling more motivated. :)

Nope, so I'm just gonna have to play it some more. ^_^

I'd be happy for you to do the sprites if you like.

What would you guys like to see in the next demo?
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 08:18:31 am »
A little bit of the story or in the field fighting enemies. Giving a small sample of the beginning away is often a great teaser to get people interested in your game. Look at King Mob's Shadowgazer. One of his demo's has the beginning of his game.
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 08:38:54 am »
  • Team Dekunutz
Alright, i'll get on that. Hopefully the next version I release will just be the same with all your guys suggestions/bugs fixes.

FrozenFire: I don't suppose you know where link charging and walking sprites are?
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 05:22:36 pm »
  • Hookshot to the Future!
you should go with WASD for movement and the arrow keys for and space/shift for other stuff.
Check my ZRPG development blog at rev2k9blog.spaces.live.com
  • My Blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 78 queries.