Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tool Conceptualization  (Read 2026 times)

Tool Conceptualization
« on: October 07, 2008, 05:24:20 am »
Two of the main issues I believe that limits us from creating the games we want are time and effort.  I think that it might be useful if we gathered a list of either potential tools or particulars functions that a tool might have that someone could particularly take that particular idea of concept and turn it into a proper product.

For example, some concepts I'm working on atm:
- A mapping tool that allows you to define certain procedural functions, such as generation of terrain, houses etc. based on user definition in order to quickly pull a map together without having to do it tile by tile.
- A map editor that allows multiple people to work on a map in real time and have all data stored in a centralized location.
Re: Tool Conceptualization
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 05:49:13 am »
Things like this would be great, except I'm having trouble with ideas.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 11:39:48 am »
- A map editor that allows multiple people to work on a map in real time and have all data stored in a centralized location.
*wanders off to play around*

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 11:46:10 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

Yeah well WA needs a .net remake <_< >_>
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 11:46:52 am »

Don't tempt me. Goter get SS and LACOOP done first. *sigh* So much to do, so little time.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 11:47:38 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

Don't tempt me. Goter get SS and LACOOP done first. *sigh* So much to do, so little time.

*tempts*

Also you need to let me give a list of features needed <_< since more than likely I'm the only one to get a shitload of use from WA XD
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 02:49:23 pm »
I love that real time map editor idea!

Another thing that hangs up great projects(OOT2D) is the graphics. Now, I'm a relative nub when it comes to all that, but what tools could be developed to help that along? Obviously nothing can create the graphics from scratch, but what about... a batch program that takes, for example, Link facing forward and then form the 32 different directions he could face or something like that... you get what I'm trying to say?  :-[

Intel P4 3.2 GHZ
2.5GB SDRAM DDR400
350GB SATA
ATI RADEON HD 2600PRO 512MB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 Z
Windows XP SP2

Current Projects: None.
- Trask
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 04:28:27 pm »
Things like this would be great, except I'm having trouble with ideas.
I have a few ways of coming up with ideas for tools.
a) Laziness - Look back at things that you had to do in the past that you've found really time consuming that are generally repetitive and mundane tasks.  For example, one of the issues I had was getting decent sprite rips, having to rip them myself, which I didn't like and would generally stop me from getting past even a walking engine.
b) Having the lack of ability to do something - Look at the things that you can't do or what prevents you from being able to do such things.  For example, unlike you, I can't compose music, I know what music I want to create, I just don't know anything about notes or music theory.  So what I ended up doing is writing a conceptual program that would be able to identify such things based on a persons voice, it would use the pitch of a persons voice to identify the note they were most likely thinking of.
c) Just look for issues that other people are having - For example, the basis that I had for the real time map editor idea was the Hyrule City topic in the CP board.  Watching how when people made changes they would have to first download a copy of the map, then make their changes (by the looks of things, using paint) and then upload it for all to see which can be very time consuming for small changes, plus there's no way for someone to know when someone else is making changes, so your limited to either one person working on it at a time or having to incorporate all these changes people are making at some point.
d) See what other people are doing - No idea is completely original, if you see something that you like in say, a particular tool which you think can be expanded upon or used elsewhere, you can use that as a basis for tool creation.

I love that real time map editor idea!

Another thing that hangs up great projects(OOT2D) is the graphics. Now, I'm a relative nub when it comes to all that, but what tools could be developed to help that along? Obviously nothing can create the graphics from scratch, but what about... a batch program that takes, for example, Link facing forward and then form the 32 different directions he could face or something like that... you get what I'm trying to say?  :-[
No clue what you're saying.   Although, considering that some emulators are capable of dumping geometry as well as textures, you could use that as a basis for map creation.  Remove unnecessary polygons with textures that are used for people (clothing, hair textures etc.) and other objects you don't want interfering with the process, then taking the remaining polygons, and using their characteristics in order to generate the map.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 05:09:44 pm »
  • Minalien
since more than likely I'm the only one to get a shitload of use from WA XD
!@#$% you anti-milf sunnova :|

I always use WA for the prototyping stages of my projects, up until I build more specific level development software.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 12:50:03 am »
I really love the music program idea, it would really help people with little knowledge of music make music easily. Automatic tempo detection, scale detection, and quantatizing (realligning the notes to the beats) would be great, and make it a lot easier.
However, music is very creative, and it would be seriously hard to make a program that could take someone's voice and turn it into a piece of music with good rhythm and vibrance.

As for the map maker, FL Studio has a similar tool called collab that can be used to edit collaborated songs realtime. It lets you lock the song while editing so noone else can edit it while you are.
For a map maker, locking the map would be good, but what I think would be better is allowing people to lock a region of the map, so anything outside this region can still be edited by others.
Another thing that would be good is having different layers for each person, so when they draw stuff on the map it draws it to their layer(s). From there they can draw the layer or region of the layer to the master layers. That would be great, because that way if something was out of place later, or the other people don't really like what you've done, it doesn't have to be drawn to the master layer and it doesn't destroy what was previously there.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 58 queries.