Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Making a game after the Oot ?  (Read 13719 times)

Re: Making a game after the Oot ?
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 10:30:37 am »
  • Hookshot to the Future!
sp you know that all games that succed are planned on paper first or at least on e-paper(pc joke lawl) you got plan your game i know from experience that your going to fail its ok as long as you learn something  8)
Check my ZRPG development blog at rev2k9blog.spaces.live.com
  • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 12:04:21 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Ok, clearly spmedia has got some skills here.

spmedia, the reason why everyone is so negative is because they probably have some idea of how much work this kind of project takes (or maybe it's because practically no one finishes games here). Zelda games are a HUGE undertaking, and being 3D doesn't make things easier, especially if you're working on it by yourself. And even if you get a team together, it is hard to get people that will stick with the project (having a organized and well planned game idea helps tons with keeping a team together and it really helps progress).

My advice is to go ahead and fool around a bit with models if you want, or better yet, just draw some concepts. Brainstorm a bit, think about items, places, characters, etc. I'm not sure if you're just making it up as you go(?), but I strongly suggest that you figure things out first.
Once you really start to plan out the game, you will see a little bit more about how much goes in to this.
I used to make games without hardly any planning and I would ALWAYS find that the project was a far bigger undertaking that I had first thought.
Some games don't require very deep planning (i.e. Asteroids clone) but for an epic adventrue game like Zelda, some heavy planning is essential.

One example of planning for a Zelda game is, writing out a summarized walk through. Maybe just an outline. Start: Link wakes up (lol). Link must get a sword and shield. Something happens that forces Link to walk in to the first dungeon. Something is discovered in the dungeon, now Link finds out the he is going to have to save the world, etc.

Yep, I really think you need a story to help get things going...
But the biggest problem and the point of this post is to get a good storyline.
... oh, wait! That's exactly what you're asking for, huh? *slaps face*

With all that said, I think the idea of making a fan made 3D Zelda is a bit unrealistic, but, I'm not saying it isn't possible. Also, you've proven that you can model well enough and you must have some coding skills to make what was shown in that vid.
I'm not saying you can't do this. Who knows, maybe you aren't as lazy or busy as most people are on ZFGC. I just hope that you get a good story and plan off of it from there before trying to actually make the game. Good luck! ^_^

And please don't make it a sequel to OoT or MM. If you do that you're going to limit the creativity of the story. Also, you may have contradictions in your story if you have Ganondorf or the Master Sword or something play an important part. If you don't want your story to contradict any of the Zelda games, then you pretty much need to severe all ties to Hyrule and write a very new and fresh story.
If you don't care about satisfying all those Zelda timeline.. umm, people... then just go ahead and disregard everything I just said. Just don't specifically say when your game takes place. Leave it open and new. Go ahead and make it in the style of OoT though if you want, but I don't think a direct sequel or even a direct prequel to any of the Zelda games is a good idea unless you really want to work hard on making the story work. It's just easier to make something fresh and new IMO.

Now that I have left a VERY long post, I'm done.
  • My Music
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 03:35:39 pm »
Ok, clearly spmedia has got some skills here.

spmedia, the reason why everyone is so negative is because they probably have some idea of how much work this kind of project takes (or maybe it's because practically no one finishes games here). Zelda games are a HUGE undertaking, and being 3D doesn't make things easier, especially if you're working on it by yourself. And even if you get a team together, it is hard to get people that will stick with the project (having a organized and well planned game idea helps tons with keeping a team together and it really helps progress).

My advice is to go ahead and fool around a bit with models if you want, or better yet, just draw some concepts. Brainstorm a bit, think about items, places, characters, etc. I'm not sure if you're just making it up as you go(?), but I strongly suggest that you figure things out first.
Once you really start to plan out the game, you will see a little bit more about how much goes in to this.
I used to make games without hardly any planning and I would ALWAYS find that the project was a far bigger undertaking that I had first thought.
Some games don't require very deep planning (i.e. Asteroids clone) but for an epic adventrue game like Zelda, some heavy planning is essential.

One example of planning for a Zelda game is, writing out a summarized walk through. Maybe just an outline. Start: Link wakes up (lol). Link must get a sword and shield. Something happens that forces Link to walk in to the first dungeon. Something is discovered in the dungeon, now Link finds out the he is going to have to save the world, etc.

Yep, I really think you need a story to help get things going...
But the biggest problem and the point of this post is to get a good storyline.
... oh, wait! That's exactly what you're asking for, huh? *slaps face*

With all that said, I think the idea of making a fan made 3D Zelda is a bit unrealistic, but, I'm not saying it isn't possible. Also, you've proven that you can model well enough and you must have some coding skills to make what was shown in that vid.
I'm not saying you can't do this. Who knows, maybe you aren't as lazy or busy as most people are on ZFGC. I just hope that you get a good story and plan off of it from there before trying to actually make the game. Good luck! ^_^

And please don't make it a sequel to OoT or MM. If you do that you're going to limit the creativity of the story. Also, you may have contradictions in your story if you have Ganondorf or the Master Sword or something play an important part. If you don't want your story to contradict any of the Zelda games, then you pretty much need to severe all ties to Hyrule and write a very new and fresh story.
If you don't care about satisfying all those Zelda timeline.. umm, people... then just go ahead and disregard everything I just said. Just don't specifically say when your game takes place. Leave it open and new. Go ahead and make it in the style of OoT though if you want, but I don't think a direct sequel or even a direct prequel to any of the Zelda games is a good idea unless you really want to work hard on making the story work. It's just easier to make something fresh and new IMO.

Now that I have left a VERY long post, I'm done.

ok, thank you for understanding.
And yeah for the 3rd time this is not a post about what I'm going to do with 3d,coding,2d but what I'm going to do with the storyline and concept of the game.

First I'm going to do the story and concept(thats why I have this post)

Then A little bit 3d

Then Coding

Then More 3d

Then 2d

Then More coding

sp you know that all games that succed are planned on paper first or at least on e-paper(pc joke lawl) you got plan your game i know from experience that your going to fail its ok as long as you learn something  8)

So yeah I know that all games that succed are well planed, Thats why I have this post.
To get any thoughts about your ideas ...... ok?

I'm sorry if you get me a bit negative, but I'm not trying to  :)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 04:15:18 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Ughhhhghh... I'm a bit sickened at everyone's posts in this thread. Way to jump on the anti-new people bandwagon guys <_<;;

He's trying to organize a project, that's all. Not asking for everyone to do the work. Not showing off a fangame. He's just organizing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, but you all treat it like it's the worst possible thing on the forum.

IMO- worst possible thing you can do on a forum is attack and troll a new user until they leave, and that's all I see going on here. Just stop <_<;;

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 09:15:08 pm »
Ughhhhghh... I'm a bit sickened at everyone's posts in this thread. Way to jump on the anti-new people bandwagon guys <_<;;

He's trying to organize a project, that's all. Not asking for everyone to do the work. Not showing off a fangame. He's just organizing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, but you all treat it like it's the worst possible thing on the forum.

IMO- worst possible thing you can do on a forum is attack and troll a new user until they leave, and that's all I see going on here. Just stop <_<;;

Thank you so much :) So from now on, could this be a thread that you guys post whatever you whould like the be in a new 3d game and not liked about the old games(like navi? should she be in a new game?)

Feel free to post all your ideas and thoughts(but no complaining, ok ?)

And just for a little update for the project. Some other guys at the other forum joined the story and art bit of the game. So now we are 3 guys working on a concept.
But we need inspiration from you guys.

One big reason for this post is because it's not just me thats going to play this games. It's you zelda fans too ;)

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 09:34:04 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Oh yes, forgot to say:
I like your stick ... ... (umm, no... NO no no, not what I meant. Shame on you for thinking that!)

Also, I hope I didn't come across as negative at all because I just wanted to help out.

ABOUT THE STORY:
So, I"m pretty sure everyone thinks that a direct sequel to OoT or MM isn't the best idea(prove me wrong?). So spmedia, do you have any other thoughts about what you want to be part of the story? What do you visualize when you think about your project? Do you want it to be a fairly happy quest or a more mature and dark quest? Is it going to star young Link or adult Link?

AN OLD SCRAPPED STORY OF MINE:
I once started to write a story that revolved around the Lost Woods. I scrapped it because I had a brilliant idea for a much better Zelda story (scrapped since I can realistically only make one Zelda game).
The story was unfinished, but it has potential. The basic idea is that something dark and mysterious has entered the Lost Woods. A powerful magic is lurking within it. Of course, Link will enter the Lost Woods and he will get lost (omg! Who would've thought?!).
Link will eventually find a way out, but he'll find himself in a totally new land (as opposed to Hyrule). Anyway, the basic idea is that the Lost Woods are magical and they magically connect to many different lands and places. Basically Link will have to travel through the Lost Woods to get to new areas. Some areas that have not been defeated will have black fog (in a way, like TP I guess).

Anyway, that's the short and uninteresting version.
It won't hurt my feelings if you don't want to use it, but maybe there's an idea in there somewhere that you like. Feel free to use it or to build off of it.

Thank you so much :) So from now on, could this be a thread that you guys post whatever you whould like the be in a new 3d game and not liked about the old games(like navi? should she be in a new game?)

Feel free to post all your ideas and thoughts(but no complaining, ok ?)

And just for a little update for the project. Some other guys at the other forum joined the story and art bit of the game. So now we are 3 guys working on a concept.
But we need inspiration from you guys.

One big reason for this post is because it's not just me thats going to play this games. It's you zelda fans too ;)

lol, you posted before I was done with my post.

"HEY!" I don't think you should have Navi. BUT, I do think you should have a new character that kind helps you along on your quest (Like the Minish Cap, Midna, Kaepora Gaebora the Owl, etc).
Since it is 3D, you'd probably have Z-targeting, so maybe a fairy would work for that, but just not Navi. Also, please, don't make anything... annoying. ^_^

And it sounds like you've got all the help you need on the story(?). That's usually the easiest thing to get help with. Anyway, if so, you can totally ignore all that stuff I just said, unless it somehow works with what you guys come up with.

SOME THINGS I DON'T WANT TO SEE:
- Wind Waker! I might be the only one, but I hate having to sail around REALLY far. I say, no huge seas.
- Annoying little fairies (and those freaky ones from the N64 titles!! WOA!).
- EDIT: I also HATE Tingle!! HATE!

SOME THINGS I DO WANT SEE:
- Link having a good variety of moves (sword attacks and stuff).
- Lean more on the action side of things, but puzzles are a MUST.
- Trading sequence is a MUST.
- A good free-roam experience (non-linear gaming is what it's about!).
- A new twist on the story, not the same crap that Nintendo dishes out. I need depth, I need plot twists, I need some tasty characters with good motivation and definitely a good dose of mystery to keep me wondering about some of the characters.
- Oh yes, add a new main character in there (besides the same old Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf)!

Once again, good luck!  XD
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:37:38 pm by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 09:53:48 pm »
Ok, thanks for your thoughts. (It's not going to be wind waker style of traveling XD)

The idea we have so far is this.

Link is sent back in time after oot. Then the majoras mask comes, with link saves termina from the moon(the idea is that Termina is a new universe, like the opposite of hyrule, if you have played the majoras mask you could se that it's the same as hyrule but a new world.)

Then link wants to go home to hyrule again. He must do something in Termina to come back to hyrule(what I don't know yet) He comes back to hyrule and finds out that things have changed since last time.

Then to save hyrule again, he have to seek new areas of hyrule(so, it's not going to be the same places that was in oot)

And the lost woods have a big part of this game XD

I think it's going to be based on many old zelda mysteries ........

Like lost woods,unicorn fountain , the triforce and stuff ....... what do you think of this ?
If you don't like the idea, then you could say so. Thats the point of this Threat ......

And one more thing, this is a little video that I posted in the other forum for a while ago.
http://img132.imageshack.us/i/zeldafangametestrender.mp4/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:56:43 pm by spmedia »
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 10:50:19 pm »
  • Mr. Pixel
By the way, Termina is reflection of Huryle what meant to be
destroyed, right? Its name is Termina, get it? Terminate.
So if Link saved Termina, would this reflect things on Huryle?
Like now Hyrule must be destroyed that, because there can be only
one. But stopping this possiblity of destruction there is Temple of Time,
Ocarina of Time and Master Sword, which can change the time flow.
So automatically time is stopped in Huryle, and when Link arrives
everything is frozen solid. How he can save both worlds?

Asking Gods of course, but Gods left the world but they left the Triforce.
Triforce must be whole to make a wish, but darn it. Ganondorf got one
piece. So you must get that piece of Triforce from Ganondorf so you
can make the wish. But how can you beat Ganondorf? You must seek
for Great Power, but where? Huryle is frozen so we will travel to Termina.
What we can find there? Four giants, will we squish the Ganondorf? Nah,
they can't go to the portal. We must get something we can use... We blow
up the Majora's Mask in Majora's Mask (:D) But what we got from him before
it? Fierce Deity's mask. But for plot shall we think, that we gave that to
Happy Mask Salesman when we gave Majora's Mask. So shall we go for
adventure to seek that Happy Mask Salesman.

Etc.

Thats what I have thought and some more. This also would explain, why
Ganondorf is free in Wind Waker. Also in the end of game, Link would be
trapped in Lost Woods/Termina, so he can't come to save the town when
Ganondorf starts do evil things and flood etc.

~Drandula~
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2009, 11:02:26 pm »
By the way, Termina is reflection of Huryle what meant to be
destroyed, right? Its name is Termina, get it? Terminate.
So if Link saved Termina, would this reflect things on Huryle?
Like now Hyrule must be destroyed that, because there can be only
one. But stopping this possiblity of destruction there is Temple of Time,
Ocarina of Time and Master Sword, which can change the time flow.
So automatically time is stopped in Huryle, and when Link arrives
everything is frozen solid. How he can save both worlds?

Asking Gods of course, but Gods left the world but they left the Triforce.
Triforce must be whole to make a wish, but darn it. Ganondorf got one
piece. So you must get that piece of Triforce from Ganondorf so you
can make the wish. But how can you beat Ganondorf? You must seek
for Great Power, but where? Huryle is frozen so we will travel to Termina.
What we can find there? Four giants, will we squish the Ganondorf? Nah,
they can't go to the portal. We must get something we can use... We blow
up the Majora's Mask in Majora's Mask (:D) But what we got from him before
it? Fierce Deity's mask. But for plot shall we think, that we gave that to
Happy Mask Salesman when we gave Majora's Mask. So shall we go for
adventure to seek that Happy Mask Salesman.

Etc.

Thats what I have thought and some more. This also would explain, why
Ganondorf is free in Wind Waker. Also in the end of game, Link would be
trapped in Lost Woods/Termina, so he can't come to save the town when
Ganondorf starts do evil things and flood etc.

~Drandula~

Hi, this was a very nice idea you got there. But now it's to late to keep writing I think XD
I'll post more tomorrow.
Do you know anything about the unicorn fountain ? cus I don't  XD Just that it's a big mystery
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2009, 11:17:28 pm »
  • Mr. Pixel
You shouldn't post, if you don't have anything to write ^^"
And I don't know about Unicorn Fountain either ^^"
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 12:46:37 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I think it's going to be based on many old zelda mysteries ........

Like lost woods,unicorn fountain , the triforce and stuff ....... what do you think of this ?
If you don't like the idea, then you could say so. Thats the point of this Threat ......

FIRST, HAVE YOU SEEN THE UNICORN'S LAIR PROJECT?
http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=22901.0
I just thought you might be able to get some ideas from that as to what you could do with the whole Unicorn's Fountain idea.

About the mysteries. My thoughts are that you shouldn't try to explain them too much because you're going to run in to some very complicated stuff that will be hard to explain.

I think the Unicorn's Fountain would be great to reveal stuff about because it's pretty much open to anything you want it to be since there's really only a few pics and the rest is open to imagination.
But, for example. with the Triforce you're going to have to know EVERYTHING about it. Lots of research is involved if you want it to fit properly with what other Zelda games claim about the Triforce.
The Lost Woods are open enough. You can make up some good original story with that as well. I say, steer clear of the Triforce and the Master Sword and all those mysterious things that do have lots of back story and try to elaborate on other parts of the story.

Give your story some freedom, or you're going to have a ton of rewrites and frustration when you find out something new about, say, Dark Link or something. *lols pathetically at self*

Oh, my thoughts on what the Unicorn's Fountain is:
An early beta, when Nintendo was thinking "unicorns" instead of "fairies". Why do I think that? Because of the look of the pictures (found in the link above) and their similarity to the OoT fairy fountains (very similar).
I guess Nintendo decided that the fairies were a better idea, maybe because fairies had been a staple in all of the previous Zelda games and unicorns were kinda... not fitting for Zelda (I dunno, totally just blabbering here).
Maybe Nintendo thought they had to have unicorns because they already decided that Link was going to have a fairy and they didn't want to over fairify (a customized word! WooT!) the game. But then, maybe they had a brilliant idea to make bigger, more human-like, and very freaky fairies that were different enough to be acceptable. Yes, totally theoretical (and not completely serious ^_^).

Anyway, that's just a theory, but you can totally take the Unicorn's Fountain idea pretty much anywhere you want. XD
  • My Music
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2009, 08:51:55 am »
meh i was only trying to help him realize that this a giant task.
  • My Blog
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2009, 03:04:55 pm »
meh i was only trying to help him realize that this a giant task.

ok, but I know that this is a very big project and I'm not going to hurry with it.
If the project takes 1 year or 5 I don't know .....

More help = much faster work  XD
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 05:16:27 am »
i can guess that it wont end in 1 year  :P
  • My Blog
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2009, 11:53:08 am »
http://vimeo.com/7738967
a little vid of some testing of scripts ....
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2009, 09:35:29 pm »
Just wondering, but are you planning on making both Termina and Hyrule and than add some additional places?
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2009, 12:43:22 am »
Just wondering, but are you planning on making both Termina and Hyrule and than add some additional places?

I don't know the finished story yet, but for now. Yes.
Both Termina and Hyrule + more of hyrule than in the OOT game
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2009, 03:47:10 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"

Sounds very ambitious.

Just remember that Nintendo had a bunch of people working on OoT and MM that got paid, but you've only got you and a few other guys that don't get paid. Also, Nintendo usually takes a couple years+ to get a Zelda game done (right? could be wrong but it takes a long time) and they have lots and lots of people working on each game.

With that in mind, you're thinking about having the land from OoT and MM PLUS MORE?

Either I have misunderstood or you have got a SERIOUS project going that will take you many years to complete.

Either way, I suggest you have only parts of each of the lands from OoT and MM but not a whole lot. Figure out what lands you need for the "main quest" and then add additional places for any side quests and such. Otherwise you'll end up with excess lands that you'll be trying to figure out what to do with and they may end up being boring and empty. There should be good reason to make lots of land, not just so it's there.

You may have already been thinking that, but I just wanted to give my suggestions.
I hope the story building is going well! ^_^
  • My Music
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2009, 10:50:12 am »

Sounds very ambitious.

Just remember that Nintendo had a bunch of people working on OoT and MM that got paid, but you've only got you and a few other guys that don't get paid. Also, Nintendo usually takes a couple years+ to get a Zelda game done (right? could be wrong but it takes a long time) and they have lots and lots of people working on each game.

With that in mind, you're thinking about having the land from OoT and MM PLUS MORE?

Either I have misunderstood or you have got a SERIOUS project going that will take you many years to complete.

Either way, I suggest you have only parts of each of the lands from OoT and MM but not a whole lot. Figure out what lands you need for the "main quest" and then add additional places for any side quests and such. Otherwise you'll end up with excess lands that you'll be trying to figure out what to do with and they may end up being boring and empty. There should be good reason to make lots of land, not just so it's there.

You may have already been thinking that, but I just wanted to give my suggestions.
I hope the story building is going well! ^_^

Yeah, of course  :)
I'm just going to have the places I need to fit in my story. Thats why I'm doing a big job of getting the story to be finished before I make to much XD

And also the models in OOT and MM are coded, they are not modeled so It's easier for me to make the models than it was for them ..... But of course. It's going to take a lot of time
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2009, 12:06:27 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
What the ideal concept post would be like
\/
I have this game design.
*extensive explanation of gameplay complete with diagrams*

What tends to get put into the concept board
\/
LIEK I AM GONNA MAEK TEH BEST ZELDA GANE EVAR AND IT WILL HAVE SWORDS AND BE 3D AND GANNON WILL COME AND KILL ZELDA AND THEN ZELDA IS RESURRECTED AS LIEK, A GHOST OR SUM !@#$%, THEN ZELDA FOLLOWS LINK AROUND LIEK HOW NAVI DID. OH, AND IT'LL HAVE TRAINS AND BOATS AND NINKJAS AND AK-47s AND...

After awhile, the people here tend to get a lil' cynical.

Just sayin', I'm no mod nor am I attempting to rent-a-mod or anything like that (a statement I admit usually follows or comes before rent-a-mod-like actions), basing this on what I've seen of the people here: This community would probably respond best to a concept post if the poster thinks of what they post as a combination of the sales pitch and the initial 'leaks to the media' about a game, the WIP section as a combination of testing and the later media leaks with videos and full-blown gameplay and maybe even a tech demo or two before the real demo. The completed section is obviously "game on the shelves".

This is one of those few situations where the more you initially have to give, the less people will ask for.

More help = much faster work  XD

And you can make a baby in 1 month using 9 women -_-
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 12:12:28 am by TheDarkJay »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 75 queries.

anything