Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stories in Games.  (Read 4699 times)

Re: Stories in Games.
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2007, 01:43:38 am »
go for it. The first two episodes only cost $20 new, and the third is only $30 or $40. Not to mention that the three games have a total of about 21 hours of cutscenes. Although I also highly recommend Xenogears if you can find it. It's a classic, and it has my favorite RPG battle system ever. You might be turned off a bit by the pacing of Episode I (although I liked it myself), and you're more likely to be turned off by the pacing in Episode II (better graphics, still a good story, but the battle system is such a hassle). They really pick up the pace in the Episode III though.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2007, 10:30:06 pm »
  • Maybe I'll just sit here and bleed at you.
So you're looking for games that AREN'T RPGs and offer a great story.  And you're also asking how they're incorporated.

FPS genre:

Half-Life / Half-Life 2 - HL basically invented the immersion FPS.  I kinda just made that term up, lemme describe.  Instead of the game cutting away to an FMV, you're completely within gameplay as the story unfolds in front of you.  In that sense, it makes the whole game a lot more immersive as you look around while a character is talking to you.  Here's a great example, near the beginning of HL2 when the combine realize you're in the city, Barney walks out and gives you your crowbar and comments that he's never seen the Citadel lit up so much before.  Directly ahead of you in the distance you can see the citadel's massive panels opening and releasing thousands of camera drones into the air to search for you, and you can even use the suit's zoom function to get an even better look.  If you're not really looking for story as much, details like this would be lost on ya.

F.E.A.R. - In addition to also being an immersive styled FPS, the theme is very isolated and little character interaction takes place to develop the depth of the story.  How is this remedied?  In rooms you'll find corporate phones with messages from employees, either begging for help or describing hearing something happened, etc.  You'll also hear radios that report broadcasts about the places you've just been and what the public believes it to be the work of.

Stealth genre:

Metal Gear Solid - Yes, I'll repeat the other posts, MGS has an amazing story, and a lot of it takes place over the codec.  If you're just looking for action you can usually skip a lot of this, but if you're looking for story, don't.

Horror genre:

Silent Hill - Well, not only is the story linked heavily into the places you end up in (for example, Harry finds a phone and hears his daughter crying for his help somewhere else in the midst of a 'dungeon'), there are also multiple endings.  5, to be exact.

System Shock/2 - If you haven't heard of this series, I'd recommend looking into it. 

Platformer genre:

Megaman Zero - Very heavy on story between missions, something the other Rockman games don't seem to accomplish as well.

RTS genre:

Command and Conquer - C&C was basically a pioneer in FMVs, using them to brief you to missions you're about to accomplish.  It does so in an immersive fashion as well.  Instead of cutting from your point of view, characters refer to you as commander in the first person and you're not directly cut away from the gameplay.  The Tiberium series also has an amazing storyline full of depth [and I will admit I'm an avid C&C fan since playing the original and red alert].

I guess thats all I'll mention for now, good stories exist in plenty of different games, they're simply left as fragments in different ways.  It's always up to the player to pick up the pieces and put them together, which simply makes things more fun and gives it more replay value.  Oh yeah, forgot to mention one other great one, but dunno which genre it's classified under: Zone of the Enders.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 10:31:56 pm by gildedlink »
  • Chaos Colosseum
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2007, 12:49:14 am »
Well... Final Fantasy X, Golden Sun and Tales of Symphonia have great and touching stories.
As for non-RPG games, I can only remember Zeldas and Another Code. Another Code ruled really much, I have never felt like I was in the middle of a family of the early 20th century, I could feel myself so deep inside the story, pity it only lasted 6 hours (even though it's perfectly possible to complete it in a couple of hours)

I agree all the way with FFX the first FF I played (I was what... 9) blew my mind away first of all it was my first PS2 game loved the graphics (I usually dont care for graphics) storyline spectacular It could almost make you cry... (Maybe just a little) and gameplay w00t I love RPGs and the turn system was great then Square went and !@#$% up FFXII tried to make it like Tactics. If only games were still truly good...
  • https://colbydude.com

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2007, 05:28:01 am »
  • Silly cat!
Okay, Limey, maybe I was very wrong about the cutscenes in MGS2. I've gotten a little further in the game and the story is developing amazingly. A lot of emotion, feeling and tactical action when you need it.

BTW, what makes MGS3:S so much better than the original Snake Eater? Besides the inclusion of the original 2 Metal Gear games and camera?

Hoffy.
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2007, 01:00:25 pm »
  • =/
 I found Halo has a great storyline... if you look into it. The games do not describe how huge and far down the story goes, some things dating back to Rome/Aztecs/etc. If you havn't read the books, I reccomend it. (Chapters)

And .TaKaM, yes Golden Sun's storyline was fairly generic but it is more how they explained it. Every character ALWAYS has something to say... even if they are just some random dude who plays no role in the game. Although, I hate how no matter what your character says (Yes or No), they always end up doing the same thing just with different dialog.
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2007, 03:21:07 pm »
  • Fendez Coder
ooh Metroid Prime had a great story also. The thing that I liked is the way in which you have to discover it for yourself my scanning everything. Very immersive.

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2007, 11:20:00 pm »
  • Silly cat!
ooh Metroid Prime had a great story also. The thing that I liked is the way in which you have to discover it for yourself my scanning everything. Very immersive.
Agreed. Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 allowed you to either play the game or play the game know what's going on. For me, scanning was most enjoyable whenever I stumbled upon a Space Pirate base. In the first game, there was one in Phendrana Drifts, and in the second there was one in Agon Wastes. It was really interesting to go around reading all of the Space Pirate logs, scanning the computers to observe the tests on Metroids, how they fought the Ing and etc. Very immersive indeed.

Hoffy.
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2007, 11:22:36 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
It was really interesting to go around reading all of the Space Pirate logs, scanning the computers to observe the tests on Metroids,

Do NOT keep Metroids as pets. 

That made me rofl waffle ^_^

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2007, 03:04:09 am »
  • 笑い男
yeh Tales of Symphonia is probably the best story in a game I've ever come across....the story + the music just made the game so incredible, i basically played it through (that's 50 hours) in one sitting cos i was so hooked lol.
same here :D

yeah, there are TONS of RPG's that have amazing stories. but i guess you're asking for non RPG's though :P

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Busternaut

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2007, 04:55:35 am »
Your Mom...oh burn!
j/k...probably...i don't know...a Zelda game.
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2007, 05:33:23 am »
Regulus, why did you have to come back?

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest

Dascu

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2007, 08:46:38 am »
Regulus, why did you have to come back?
Because God hates us.
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2007, 02:34:02 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
I think Fire Emblem Path of Radiance had a good storyline. Because characters died aand were gone forever it really brought a more serious tone to the game. If someone dies in another game you could just shrug it off, but in this game you got really attached to the characters for fear of them dieing.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.

Freewind

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2007, 02:43:05 pm »
Max Payne had a great plot. And by Max Payne I mean the FIRST Max Payne.
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2007, 09:03:48 pm »
  • I put this here for the sake of that one thread
Max Payne had a great plot. And by Max Payne I mean the FIRST Max Payne.
The sequel had a good plot too imo, too bad about Vlad though, kinda liked him D:

I </3 Sol

mit

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2007, 09:38:07 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
I liked OoT more than I liked any other game. It's just a personal opinion though, because after LTTP, the triforce had worked its way into all our children fantasies and all. It was like we really believed its story line, and when OoT came out (it also, at the time, was the most realistic game I'd ever played) I was just amazed.

Comparing it to other games now though, I obviously wouldn't have appreciated it as much. The same sort of ideas weave in and out of most games...

To me, though, a story line is absoloutely vital to an adventure game, and I can never find a modern game with a great story line.

Majora's mask was amazing though. I think it's the most successful sequal ever - I've never known another game have such a change in plot, idea, gameplay and everything and still remain the same. The music helped a lot to the story, there's something about it other games don't have.

TP's story line had potential. Great potential, and considering what they COULD have done, I was rather dissapointed...

My opinion.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2007, 09:39:15 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.
I found Halo has a great storyline... if you look into it. The games do not describe how huge and far down the story goes, some things dating back to Rome/Aztecs/etc. If you havn't read the books, I reccomend it. (Chapters)

QFT

The Halo storyline is incredibly in-depth, it's just that people mark it off as a generic, story-less FPS. (Duke Nukem, anyone?) I suppose this is due to the fact that a good chunk of the story isn't really defined all that strongly in the game, and you have to do some digging to find it, but once you do, it's incredibly engaging.

Anyway, I'd say the best story in any video game would go to Eternal Darkness. I mean, c'mon, the story spans over thousands of years and several people.

Also, in regards to Killer 7...God and pigeons are one...
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2007, 02:33:08 am »
  • Silly cat!
Getting back to my main point, I've sort of come to discover that the best stories are the ones that are found, rather than told. This is evident in such games as the Metroid Prime series, Deus Ex, and even Resident Evil. All of these games focus lightly on cutscenes, which come up reasonably often in the game, but they also allow the player to access more details on the story. For example, in Resident Evil, you're able to find notes left behind by other characters. Telling a story in such a way leaves room for a reasonable amount of decent gameplay, leaving little effects from the storyline.

Hoffy.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 71 queries.