Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I am Legend  (Read 4308 times)

I am Legend
« on: December 15, 2007, 06:11:05 am »
Just got back from seeing I am Legend and I must say, it was a very frustrating experience. I have not read the original novel, but I love both previous adaptations and am a fan of end of the world-type films as well as zombie flicks.

Overall, I liked a lot in this remake. Will Smith was better than I expected and I really liked the dog mechanic. His daily routine was interesting and I really loved the CGI work used to make New York look abandoned. However, these same effects did not carry.

It kills me to say this, but the monsters, may they be zombies or vampires are simply terrible. Instead of hiring extras and taking the time to apply makeup, these creatures are 100% CGI and look goofy as hell. On top of it, nothing regarding their purpose is made clear. We don't know their motivations, how smart they are, how they are able to be so nimble, or what kind of society they have (one is the leader so clearly they have some structure). To top it off, in a lot of scenes, they end up more funny than scary, especially one involving infected dogs, dear lord.

I guess I'd give it a 6.5/10, but I was disappointed, not on the whole, but by the parts that tarnished the otherwise good movie.

The Legend of Zelda: Hall of the Dead
Complete and free Zelda fan game
http://dayjo.org/uncannyvisions/hotd.html

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
Re: I am Legend
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 06:15:53 am »
  • b e p i s
I'm going to see it sometime next week. I was surprised to read this as I've heard word that it was so good as to actually be Oscar-worthy...? Hmm...
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 06:41:15 am »
Wow, your take on it sounds a lot like IGN's review.  I'll take you word for it, that's kind of what I expected.  You have a good grasp of cinema so I hold your opinion in high regards...granted, I still have to watch it sooner or later.

"I am Legend" is one of my favorite books, probably in the top ten, but I guess the filmmakers of the last three adaptations didn't think a direct adaptation would be suitable for the masses.  I've only seen "Omega Man", which was great but considerably different.  "I am Legend" is a book that seems perfect for a direct adaptation, I don't understand why they need to change everything.  Many stories benefit from changes in story and characters to better fit the format, but this is one that seems very suitable for absolute translation to film.

The book is a classic, inspiring not only the zombie sub-genre, (Romero's movies were inspired by the book), but many of the leading and prolific horror-fiction writers since, for example Stephen King.  If nothing else I'm glad that Romero incorporated the political and philosophical undertones of the original books, (at least initially).  I don't care if an adaptation sticks completely to the source material as long as they successfully get the feeling, atmosphere, and overall point across to the viewer.

Hopefully one day we will see a truly worthy adaptation of the book, until then, please read the book....anyone who hasn't already, please do.  If for nothing else to better your understanding of the zombie sub-genre and all that it truly stands for.  It's a fairly short story, not necessarily ground-breaking, but definitely worth the read.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 07:38:01 am »
This isn't a movie you'd want to compare to the book of the same name, unless you want a brain tumor.

It wasn't bad, but the ending was really shitty.

like wow "He's a legend because he found the cure LOL!"
  • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 11:10:16 pm »
I'm going to see it sometime next week. I was surprised to read this as I've heard word that it was so good as to actually be Oscar-worthy...? Hmm...

I don't know where you heard that from, but I highly doubt it.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/i_am_legend/

I've heard that Smith's performance is excellent, the beginning of the film is excellent, but when the monsters come it, it becomes a laughable piece of crap.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 11:19:49 pm »
Not gonna read this topic's content before reminding you to mark spoilers. :U
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 03:00:27 am »
  • Issac_Amisov
I might go see it tonight, either that or Beowulf? Which one should I go see?
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 05:44:13 am »

Is it IMAX?  If it's IMAX or digital 3D definitely see Beowulf.  If it's not...still go see Beowulf.  Actually, I take that back.  I haven't seen either so I can't really give you my honest opinion, but Beowulf has received better reviews.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 05:45:13 am »
  • Issac_Amisov

Is it IMAX?  If it's IMAX or digital 3D definitely see Beowulf.  If it's not...still go see Beowulf.  Actually, I take that back.  I haven't seen either so I can't really give you my honest opinion, but Beowulf has received better reviews.
Not IMAX, just a normal movie theater... anyways, we ended up renting a few movies to watch at home.
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 09:27:46 pm »
  • =/
 =/ You guys dislike I am legend? I actually loved it... I could've cried at the end...
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 09:30:55 pm »
I didn't dislike it completely, it was a pretty decent movie and I loved a lot of parts, but the fact is, it should have been a lot better.
The Legend of Zelda: Hall of the Dead
Complete and free Zelda fan game
http://dayjo.org/uncannyvisions/hotd.html
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 09:36:19 pm »
Could have been a good movie if they didn't have such a shitty ending.

Hell even ending it right after willie blows up would have been better.
  • Google Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 03:38:06 am »
I thought the "infected" looked alright. I thought the movie was really depressing, though. =/

The concept the movie has is pretty unreal.
ZFGC Veteran since 2004

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 01:29:33 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I didnt like this movie... at all -_-;; The only parts I thought were neat were the whole hunting scenes with his dog... Otherwise the movie just irritated me. IMO the movie should have been a bit longer, and had a bit more depth with the virus explanation. Sad thing is, I didnt even find Will Smith's character to be very likable at all. The only thing I liked in the movie was the dog, and it died. so *shrugs* lol

and yes, the infected look goofy lol but I think they made them that way to cut the cost of hiring more actors. The movie only really has like... 10 actors shown and a group of extras that they probably paid for like an hour of shooting lol
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 11:28:18 pm »
I just saw it, awesome movie, I loved it from begining to end.

They were Vampires, they were smarter then zombies.

Spoilers now:

Their motivation is to just survive. They are most likely nimble because of the effects of the virus that spread. They are pretty smart, you saw that when they knocked over the lights and knocked the light post on his car. The Vampire creatures are definitely smarter then zombies. The Monsters looked fine to me, they're vampire monsters things, what do you expect them to look like? You would probably look goofy too if your body was ravenged and yall your hair fell off because of a Cure for Cancer that goes wrong. There is the whole not being able to in the light thing, that may hinder their sex appeal.

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 02:00:43 am »
They're called "dark seekers" in the film, and they're not really vampires or zombies.
  • Google Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 02:48:09 am »
Dark Seekers then,

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 04:38:39 pm »
I enjoyed the movie.

Even though I liked it, I felt that it missed a falling action and a conclusion.  And you could probabaly make an argument that there wasn't a climax either.

Other than that, I enjoyed it.

under the alias DarkLink6235
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2007, 12:26:28 am »
  • I knew it!
I really liked this movie; it really got my friends talking, which is pretty rare. XD

Anyway, I thought it was very well done, great acting and just an overall nice thriller.
  • Yay!
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2007, 09:07:42 am »
I liked the movie. Though yea, the CGI was hell overdone, and the ending was kind of unexpected to the point of stupidity, but it was still good.
the a o d c
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 77 queries.

anything