Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stepping down  (Read 5631 times)

Stepping down
« on: February 08, 2013, 11:58:53 pm »
Evening to all of ZFGC!

So some of you will have noticed that lately I've been about as active on these forums as an alligator on a warm day. Simply put, I just don't have the time to dedicate that this place deserves! Why? I have a full time job, my University Course, a Dissertation, I help run the computing society here, and I am a student partner with Microsoft. All very demanding jobs, and I just don't have time to juggle them all.

So, after speaking with Steve and Ashley we've all agreed the best thing for me to do right now is step down. I won't be leaving the forums, I'll be a global moderator again (just like I was before). I'll still be here to help, and damn well still be putting stuff out to the community when I can.

What will this mean? Well, firstly it will mean that someone else, with more time can help the admin team do what they do best. I have heard rumors on who this might be, and if they are right, then let me say you're all in for a treat! This will also have an effect on zfgc 3.0. I know people have been asking about this, and I haven't given adequate response, so lets go into that:

For the last few months I have been working on a database conversion tool between smf3 and vanilla. I also have a working test bridge between vanilla and media wiki. What's left? The site needs theming, I need to convert the passwords between the two (the last bit left on the database) and we need to get a good cms! Of course my progress has been steady, but slow. So what's the solution? I'm going to hand control of the Mecurial repo to Steve and Ashley, they will oversee it all from now on, and take control. I'll still be submitting here and there where I can, and so will other people. More people, faster zfgc3!

So yeah, I think that's about it. This feels like the part where I should say I'll miss you all or something. But since this isn't a goodbye and just me taking some relief,  I think it's best to just say how much I care about ZFGC. To me, it's where I first learnt to code, where I made my first game, and where I made some good friends. Whilst this place is still going, I'll always want to be a part of it, no matter how small that part is.

Until tomorrow,

MaJoRa
  • Elliott Parkinson

thestig

Re: Stepping down
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:16:32 am »
Well, its good that you're stepping down to focus on the more important stuff when there's still time, rather than waiting till its too late. XD

Steve and Ashley are competent admins. The site's in good hands. And your hard work come in handy. :)

I don't know what else to say other than, I wish you good luck in the future!

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:21:07 am »
  • L'homme avec beaucoup de noms.
Good luck Majora  XD, the important things we deal with in life is our primary focus, just like what gm112 said.
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder
Linux is a wonderful thing
~Linkwolf48/Gumstone1080~

The Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=34986.0
1.6 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56km0iadaras56g/LoZNB%20Game%20Folder.rar?dl=0

Side Projects:

Dragon Diary - Cybernetic Threat
Story: http://wiki.zfgc.com/Cybernetic_Threat

Aero88
ZFGC is like the Hotel California.  You can come in but you can never leave!

devianart: http://linkwolf48.deviantart.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 12:41:12 am »
So some of you will have noticed that lately I've been about as active on these forums as an alligator on a warm day. Simply put, I just don't have the time to dedicate that this place deserves! Why? I have a full time job, my University Course, a Dissertation, I help run the computing society here, and I am a student partner with Microsoft. All very demanding jobs, and I just don't have time to juggle them all.

I thought alligators liked warm weather because they are cold-blooded - or maybe I am thinking about crocodiles, or maybe I don't understand British metaphors. Anyway, life can be hectic and trying to divide your brain up amongst many tasks only leaves one too stressed and tired with no lasting joy for the accomplishments of any of them. But to that end, good luck with getting the life stuff in order.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 12:48:19 am »
  • It's the grineer
Damn, it, another one gone. Well, whatever, good luck on whatever you're doing!

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 12:51:33 am »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
Man, everyone's stepping down. 4Sword/Diminish, Gee-Em, and now you!? Well, either way I hope that your job goes well. :)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 03:02:58 am »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
Well, hope you be successful with your job MaJoRa.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 03:08:58 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
Majora did a great job as admin, and he's sticking around as a moderator! I know it looks like a lot of people stepped down, but a lot of people have been stepping up too. We also have to realize how great the community has been. Seriously, you guys rock!
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 11:01:51 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Meanwhile I'm still not staff of any sort.

I'VE BEEN HERE FOR NINE YEARS. WHERE'S MAH TENURE? owait

ahem.

well you gotta do what you gotta do. best of luck with everything!

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 11:10:34 am »
I'd like to re-iterate the point Star made, I am not leaving, I'm not quitting, and I'm certainly not giving up on ZFGC in any way shape or form! I just have no time at the moment, so I'm changing my position so that I can keep doing what I'm doing, and that someone else can do what I don't have the time to!

I finish university in a couple of months, I'll have no computing society, no dissertation, no course, no work with MS. You can bet your ass I'll be upping my activities here (and hopefully playing the new WW HD :D:D ).

So yeah, just finally to Malon and Blaze, I'm going nowhere. I love ZFGC and I'm going to be around to help is as long as I can, I'm just changing position :). Also, you worry about all these people stepping down, but I wouldn't see it as a bad thing. We all have lives here see, and we all step up to the mark when we have the time to do it. When we run out of time, best we step down and let someone more capable run the site! That's how it's stayed online all these years after all!
  • Elliott Parkinson

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 11:27:26 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
Pretty much what Majora said: we all have lives XD. The only reason why I'm still able to handle this is because people don't seem to mind me being on random websites at work. We're allowed to browse stuff like ZFGC while we work.

Mirby, in terms of Staff, we don't really have much because well, we don't have much to moderate lately. Staff positions equally don't have anything to do with how much time you've been here for. I'm not trying to undermine you in any way, but just throwing it out there. We will be adding maybe one more to Global Mods and promoting somebody to Administration to fill Majora's spot for ZFGC 3.0. Even then, Majora's still going to help us with ZFGC 3.0 so it's really not that big of a change XD.

I would love to make more people moderators but there's no point; not many people are trolling, and even when they do (*cough* wally), they're actually amusing. Under our current administration, we're trying to maintain a happy, more free community, with fun. Why do you think we let most of the BuffaloBurgers topics stick around? Because they're funny. Wally's sports topic, kinda funny, whatever. As long as nobody's flaming each other or being a dickhead, I'm generally fine with most of what goes on here. Henceforth, we don't really need many people on moderation.

Anyway, that's pretty much what's been going on. This isn't a bad thing at all, guys :D. Majora's sticking around and is still really important to us all.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 11:58:42 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
I was just kidding about that staff thing. And I know you're not leaving; doesn't mean I can't wish you luck, nor does it mean you aren't doing what you gotta be doing (and you ARE doing what you gotta be doing, hence stepping down). :D

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

Crim

Super Special Awesome
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 05:41:26 pm »
  • I'm Pro!
Well, its good that you're stepping down to focus on the more important stuff when there's still time, rather than waiting till its too late. XD

this.
  • Crim is Pro!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 62 queries.

anything