Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Unfunny Self  (Read 4079 times)

My Unfunny Self
« on: May 13, 2012, 03:01:49 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
So I recently started making short comedy sketches.  Only have two so far and I don't think either one is terribly funny, but I'm having fun doing it at least.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMMnncGk_OE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMMnncGk_OE</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2olHUg7upk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2olHUg7upk</a>

Re: My Unfunny Self
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 03:40:46 am »
Why are they in black and white?

Sorry but i got bored 30 seconds into the 1st one, i'll watch the 2nd

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 03:46:59 am »
They're in black and white because all I have is a really cheap Sony Handycam.  It can't pick up colours for !@#$% and changing it to black and white makes it look ever so slightly better.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 03:56:40 am »
They're in black and white because all I have is a really cheap Sony Handycam.  It can't pick up colours for !@#$% and changing it to black and white makes it look ever so slightly better.

Ah ok, i kind of assumed it was one of those trying to be artistic type things >.>

Well i watched them both fully. Sorry but i just didn't find them funny. Though it might just be me. I'm more of the slap stick family guy, south park, simpsons, spongebob type of basic comedy. You're brand of comedy may be more high brow/mature then the type of comedy i am used to.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 04:04:40 am »
I do really like the look of black and white video but colour is more fun.

I genuinely hate all of the shows you just mentioned...  But I'm not trying to be high brow or mature or anything...  It's just ideas I happen to find amusing.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 04:06:49 am »
I do really like the look of black and white video but colour is more fun.

I genuinely hate all of the shows you just mentioned...  But I'm not trying to be high brow or mature or anything...  It's just ideas I happen to find amusing.

Ah, if you hate all the shows, maybe your brand of comedy really is too uh... different then for my tastes.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 05:06:38 am »
  • It's just Max.
I know things aren't funny if you explain them, but... I'm really curious, what was the punchline? I didn't get it.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 05:07:36 am »
I guess I didn't make it too clear in The Painting that they're supposed to be talking as if a painting has been hung on the wall which you can't see, and the "punchline" is that he had actually only been painting the wall, an entirely mundane task which makes their whole conversation absurd.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:09:31 am by Mitsu »
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 05:20:01 am »
  • It's just Max.
Ah, I thought it was something like that, but I couldn't tell what was on the floor at the end :/
My advice is: buy a hat. I mean, it was clear that there were two different characters, but it just looked a bit... Effortless? Perhaps I've just spent too long with "artists" to be able to see something as an artistic statement instead of something lazy with "artistic" as an excuse. Salvador Dali was an artist. An upside down urinal (forgot his name :p just goes to show) is an excuse.

Another critique is that showing somebody walking away, unless you have a good reason, kind of makes the ending weak. Once what you're showing is over, the characters are gone from my screen because YouTube is done. Filming a character leaving seem to me like.... Well, I don't really care if he plans to do something different once this video is over. Dunno if I managed to communicate what I was thinking very well.... :/
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 05:25:40 am »
I have many hats, but I didn't want to wear one for two reasons.  First, I thought my eyes would be in even worse lighting than what I had, and secondly because I didn't want to make too much of a difference between them because it is the same person after all.  Maybe that's unwarranted.  I'll try with a hat in the future.

Another critique is that showing somebody walking away, unless you have a good reason, kind of makes the ending weak. Once what you're showing is over, the characters are gone from my screen because YouTube is done. Filming a character leaving seem to me like.... Well, I don't really care if he plans to do something different once this video is over. Dunno if I managed to communicate what I was thinking very well.... :/

That makes sense.  The one with the candy had really poor planning (no script, I just improvised) so I'm not too worried about it, but I'll try to avoid such inadequacies for endeavours to come.  The idea was that one can't leave without the other, but it's still weak.
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 06:36:50 am »
I watched both and you are right in that it is not really funny. Just my bit of critique on your first movie. It wasn't clear from the ending that it was about painting the wall. The stuff on the floor was badly contrasted. In addition the conversation that was held really focussed on an actual painting. There wasn't really any ambiguity about it actually. I could not in hindsight turn it into a conversation about a wall. With most sketches the title and dialogue make you believe that they are talking about one thing, but due to the ambiguity of language they are talking about something else. In hindsight each line can still apply to it even if it is brought in an absurd manner. With the first sketch they were talking about "women" and "fruitbowls", which absolutely does not apply to a monochromatic wall. Secondly the walking in and the walking out are a bit unnecessary as it kind of breaks the rythm of the sketch.

With the second sketch I think you totally messed up the punchline, by letting the first one leave without the other. You have shown two people leaving and not shown that it is one schizofrenic person. To the audience it is still two people. There was nothing that blocked the first one from leaving.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 08:54:26 am »
I think I must be the only one who finds the first sketch hilarious... humour that isn't blindingly obvious immediately and required a little thinking. The fact that they had an entire conversation about a painting on a wall (which was indeed just a painted wall) is just obscene, but at the same time highlights how stupid humans can actually be. Of course this is taken further by the fact he was arguing with himself. I was unsure about it at first, but when I hit the punchline I was pmsl. 

The second sketch I didn't find as funny, it seemed to be dealing with social issues, in that if someone asks for something small they tend to expect it. Of course when the response is 'no' most people really don't like it. I see this particular sketch daily :P. Though it was a little confusing with it being himself taking food from himself... and then again with what everyone else said about the walking out of the scene, it didn't help with the flow of things.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:57:10 am by MaJoRa »
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 01:13:34 pm »
@Niek:  I won't contest that it isn't funny, but I do disagree with your reasoning.  Since they switch from talking about the specific painting to all painting in general, no information about the specific one is given.  Any lack of ambiguity is due to poor execution.

@MaJoRa:  There really should have been another line at the end that indicates he is also leaving for bathroom purposes, it would link them better.  Also, it's odd that you bring up the idea of social issues...  When I showed it to my art professor he thought it was some sort of message about homophobia...
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 04:55:34 am »
  • It's just Max.
I may take back my comment about the hat. I really thought it was supposed to be two completely different people. :s

Also, I got the idea that the second one was supposed to be some kind of social commentary too, but... I didn't get what the social commentary was, and was upset that it wasn't delivered to me in a humerus fashion that I appreciated.

I guess these went even more over my head than I thought. Pshew, I can almost see them up there. I think they get it on the moon.
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 07:31:43 am »
@MaJoRa:  There really should have been another line at the end that indicates he is also leaving for bathroom purposes, it would link them better.  Also, it's odd that you bring up the idea of social issues...  When I showed it to my art professor he thought it was some sort of message about homophobia...

How on earth could anyone possibly relate this to homophobia?
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 08:30:33 am »

How on earth could anyone possibly relate this to homophobia?

I have absolutely no idea...  He didn't explain himself at all.
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 03:22:17 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
An upside down urinal (forgot his name :p just goes to show) is an excuse.

The creative act is not performed by the artist alone; the spectator brings the work in contact with the external world by deciphering and interpreting its inner qualifications and thus adds his contribution to the creative act. - Marcel Duchamp

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 03:31:38 pm »
Did Duchamp even bother to turn the urinal upside down?  I thought he just signed it.
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 12:56:05 pm »
I don't like Duchamp... no matter what his reasoning is I don't see writing a few words on a urinal or adding a mustache to Mona Lisa and writing "she has a nice ass" as art.

Anyway... the videos... not funny to me.  They went right over my head.  The paining one I didn't understand at all until you explained it and the candy one I still don't understand.
And what was up with them being the same person?  Was that supposed to represent some sort of psychological conversation between a man and himself?  Either way I just didn't get it.
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 02:37:43 pm »
It's a man with split personalities, that's supposed to be part of the joke.  It's supposed to be funny that one has candy and the other doesn't.  It's supposed to be funny that he's so selfish, he won't even give himself anything.  It's supposed to be funny that he calls himself a horrible person, and ugly.  Supposed to be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 78 queries.