Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Forest dungeon Tiles  (Read 19546 times)

Forest dungeon Tiles
« on: August 11, 2015, 05:40:12 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
I decided to make a completely new forest dungeon tiles for KOT. The walls of the inside rooms are made of wood, depicting the trunks of the trees. The floor of the inside rooms for the 2nd floor and up will be a treetop, implying that it was built on top of the trees. The outside (which will be 2nd floor and up) will be treetops with things on top like fences and such.
I made a little example of what the first room would look like, and added the tree floor so you see how it would fit together.
Tell me what you think of this!
Re: Forest dungeon Tiles
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 06:06:42 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Looks very nice :) Don't forget that parts of the destroyed Kokiri Forest are part of the temple as well

http://wiki.zfgc.com/KOT:Forest_Temple

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 06:16:23 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
Looks very nice :) Don't forget that parts of the destroyed Kokiri Forest are part of the temple as well

Is the temple going to be around the kokiri village? It would be cool to have a large room with destroyed houses and stuff.
Forest Temple Update
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 07:10:22 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
Meh, I tried another room!

SPOILER ALERT! (For those who want to play the game not knowing how to beat the dungeons!)

When Link enters it, he has to border the cracked floors so he doesn´t fall into an endless pit. The chest has a key that allows you to open the locked door! Wow what a puzzle! The wooden stick are there for the hookshot. that room on the left is only accesible once you get the hookshot. It may take you to the boss? The right door is only accesible through the other side. The button activates a bridge that allows you to go there, a shortcut.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:12:33 pm by Spritonic »
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 07:15:41 pm »

Is the temple going to be around the kokiri village? It would be cool to have a large room with destroyed houses and stuff.

We never really fully established this, but the idea was to have parts of the village be accessible through the temple due to being damaged.  I THINK tree tops were also part of the design, but I can't remember.  Max, can you confirm?

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 07:20:45 pm »
  • Just call me Brad

We never really fully established this, but the idea was to have parts of the village be accessible through the temple due to being damaged.  I THINK tree tops were also part of the design, but I can't remember.  Max, can you confirm?

I got the treetop idea from Blaze´s design :P

So the temple acts as meeting point sort of thing? cool!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 08:02:10 pm »
Yea, if I remember right.

Also, I'm a bit confused in your sprites about those large pillar looking things?  Looks like they're crossing each other?  Are they supposed to be fallen over?

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 08:15:28 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
Yea, if I remember right.

Also, I'm a bit confused in your sprites about those large pillar looking things?  Looks like they're crossing each other?  Are they supposed to be fallen over?

yes they are supposed to be fallen over, One is over the other, and the one on top has a shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 03:05:13 am »
  • It's just Max.

I can confirm that it was never 100% established, and I think that's fine as whoever designs the dungeon has freedom that way, it can wander into parts of the ruined village, have treetops involved, have a big hollow stump as a room, whatever the dungeon designer feels will fit. I do, however, feel both of those things are great ideas.

Spritonic, the wall and door tiles and everything are super dope! I love them. The fallen pillars don't work at all, however, since they look the same as we're used to seeing them in the corners. It's very confusing. I'd recommend spriting them from scratch, possibly at regular + type angles instead of /\ diagonal angles, I think it would read better. I'd also say you should try to get your hands on the mushrooms from the Minish Cap Shrinking portals.

Those are exactly what we want, probably. For the dungeon and all throughout the swamp.

Anyway, the tiles are great and you're off to a wonderful start for the dungeon. Just from experience though, I would not recommend tiling entire rooms, unless they're just as a test/example. The dungeon should really be sketched out as it will save so much time. Sooo much, things will inevitably change. I actually spent three days on a train and a couple more when I had some downtime studying how Zelda dungeons are designed, so if you want help/pointers and stuff, I'd love to help (internet is a little spotty from day to day but I'll make it work).

And even if you don't let me help, I'm gonna critique mercilessly because I want this game to be freaking AWESOME. Oh, and again, those tiles are freaking awesome.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 08:55:23 am »
  • Just call me Brad

I can confirm that it was never 100% established, and I think that's fine as whoever designs the dungeon has freedom that way, it can wander into parts of the ruined village, have treetops involved, have a big hollow stump as a room, whatever the dungeon designer feels will fit. I do, however, feel both of those things are great ideas.

Spritonic, the wall and door tiles and everything are super dope! I love them. The fallen pillars don't work at all, however, since they look the same as we're used to seeing them in the corners. It's very confusing. I'd recommend spriting them from scratch, possibly at regular + type angles instead of /\ diagonal angles, I think it would read better. I'd also say you should try to get your hands on the mushrooms from the Minish Cap Shrinking portals.

[img=http://zeldawiki.org/images/thumb/4/40/Inside_tree_stump_minish.jpg/120px-Inside_tree_stump_minish.jpg]

Those are exactly what we want, probably. For the dungeon and all throughout the swamp.

Anyway, the tiles are great and you're off to a wonderful start for the dungeon. Just from experience though, I would not recommend tiling entire rooms, unless they're just as a test/example. The dungeon should really be sketched out as it will save so much time. Sooo much, things will inevitably change. I actually spent three days on a train and a couple more when I had some downtime studying how Zelda dungeons are designed, so if you want help/pointers and stuff, I'd love to help (internet is a little spotty from day to day but I'll make it work).

And even if you don't let me help, I'm gonna critique mercilessly because I want this game to be freaking AWESOME. Oh, and again, those tiles are freaking awesome.

OF COURSE I LET YOU HELP! This is a comunity project remember? I think its awesome the amount of work we have done so far, and it wouldn´t have happened if it weren´t for your amazing artwork that guided me through!

I only did the rooms so you could see how it would look like, but the main thing here is the tiles! I´m glad you like them!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 04:07:36 am »
Some general critique:
  • The walls could use some slight improvement. The "wooden frames" shouldn't blend in with the other wood it's framing, it looks confusing to say the least. Perhaps darken the wood that's not meant to act as frames?
  • In TMC, the giant leaves were placed on the edges of the entire dungeon map, just a little note to consider.
  • Perhaps it's just me, but it feels weird that we're seeing a tree-like dungeon with wooden walls and stone flooring.
It's a start, so let's keep going with it. Personally would like to see the circular Minish Cap trees get turned into a fall fledged dungeon set, but not sure if it's possible. I might fiddle around with a few graphics myself actually.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 10:27:14 am »
  • Just call me Brad
Some general critique:
  • The walls could use some slight improvement. The "wooden frames" shouldn't blend in with the other wood it's framing, it looks confusing to say the least. Perhaps darken the wood that's not meant to act as frames?
  • In TMC, the giant leaves were placed on the edges of the entire dungeon map, just a little note to consider.
  • Perhaps it's just me, but it feels weird that we're seeing a tree-like dungeon with wooden walls and stone flooring.
It's a start, so let's keep going with it. Personally would like to see the circular Minish Cap trees get turned into a fall fledged dungeon set, but not sure if it's possible. I might fiddle around with a few graphics myself actually.

Hmm, You mean this one (see attachment) It could be used, as an entrance/ bottom floor. Link enters a big tree and the temple starts, the starting room is this treetrunk and at the end there is a door with stairs that go up into the tiles I made? ideas?

If we use this, we can also change the colour of the wood.
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 05:00:37 am »
Yeah, I think it could work, given we make proper outward and inward corner tiles for it. We also need to make it elevation and surface friendly too so we can stack them up, have higher elevation and we can place things like water and pits next next to the walls. We also need to consider if we are planning to use the circular tree interiors for other things too, if so, then we might have some slight issues here perhaps. A lot of work either way...

Also for the record, if people want to stay with the original walls, go ahead. I like them myself (given a few nitpicks here and there). But the MC tree wall tiles were just some food for thought if you will.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 05:42:05 pm »
  • It's just Max.
The MC tree tiles are awesome, and it'd be sweet (and yes, tons of work) to get them optimized for different shapes and sizes than a circle. Personally, I don't think square walls inside the tree are a bad thing, I think the wooden walls Spritonic's got are stellar and just being wooden is enough to make it feel like you're in a tree. Did the Deku tree in Ocarina of Time have square rooms? I feel like it did, but can't remember. It feels constructed instead of natural like the circular tree tiles, but I think it works well that way and the stone floors make sense then.

If we opt to have some of the dungeon outside I think it'd be cool to have a pond where you need to go across some of the giant lily pads, and there could be crumbling stone or wooden walls where the kokori village once stood.
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 05:51:15 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
The MC tree tiles are awesome, and it'd be sweet (and yes, tons of work) to get them optimized for different shapes and sizes than a circle. Personally, I don't think square walls inside the tree are a bad thing, I think the wooden walls Spritonic's got are stellar and just being wooden is enough to make it feel like you're in a tree. Did the Deku tree in Ocarina of Time have square rooms? I feel like it did, but can't remember. It feels constructed instead of natural like the circular tree tiles, but I think it works well that way and the stone floors make sense then.

If we opt to have some of the dungeon outside I think it'd be cool to have a pond where you need to go across some of the giant lily pads, and there could be crumbling stone or wooden walls where the kokori village once stood.

It would be hard to do the tree tiles with corners and such.

For the crumbling stone structures, we could use some of the wind ruins stone walls from minish cap (unless you want to make the swamp have that? I was thinking the swamp to be more like in MM)

Sinkin

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 06:23:10 pm »
  • Idk

For the crumbling stone structures, we could use some of the wind ruins stone walls from minish cap (unless you want to make the swamp have that? I was thinking the swamp to be more like in MM)

I can take a look at this later tonight.
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 07:43:18 pm »
  • It's just Max.

Agreed about the corners, so probably sticking with the tiles you've done would provide a more versatile tile set for the dungeon. Those walls would probably work great, we can have them in both areas too.

I saw these beautiful wall tiles for Zelda Classic.

We could do something like this. Or have crumbling walls like this in Hyrule field, and have the Wind Ruins ones in the forest.

So guys, does anyone think they can get a hold of the mushrooms from the Minish tree stump Portals? I think they'd be super useful. I can try to get a screenshot from the emulator on my phone.

Edit: got the screenshot, would this be useful to anyone? It's not the regular 16x16 pixel format here, I don't think, it might be more like a background.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 07:56:45 pm by Donotfeedthemax »
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 08:54:14 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
The mushrooms where ripped by gonken and are seperated in one of his echoes of aurelia screens.
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 02:20:25 am »
[off-topic]That's my screen from PureZC! lol[/off-topic]

Here's some sprite sheets of the mushrooms: http://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/6/6431.gif
Also, on the top left, more mushrooms?: http://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/6/6540.gif
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 08:55:24 am »
  • Just call me Brad
[off-topic]That's my screen from PureZC! lol[/off-topic]

Here's some sprite sheets of the mushrooms: http://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/6/6431.gif
Also, on the top left, more mushrooms?: http://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/6/6540.gif

Nice! Those could be used in the swamp, they scream swamp to me!

Also I found these: http://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/6/6548.png

And dont forget the puffstool and the pulling mushrooms. (and toad)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 78 queries.

anything