Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Piracy... >>  (Read 19552 times)

Re: Piracy... >>
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2007, 08:45:50 pm »
  • Your expression has changed too
I'm against piracy for the most part. I do pirate is single songs, because I don't want to have to buy the entire CD for one song, and iTunes has all kinds of protection !@#$% on their music. I have a job where I make minimum wage, and I buy the stuff I want. I can't get everything I want, but I don't go pirate it because I can't, I just save up more money, wait, and enjoy the stuff I could afford. I want to suport the companies that make these products because they deserve it. The only other thing I pirate is anime that 4kids gets the rights to, because the dubs suck, editing sucks, new music sucks, scripts suck, acting sucks, and the DVDs are edited with English dub only. The whole "dub sucks" thing for other companies doesn't cut it for me, because it's a standard on anime DVDs to include the Japanese audio and subs specifically for the Japanese audio.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 08:48:06 pm by Takuthehedgehog »
Ghoster Poster
  • I have a Twitter if you're into that kinda thing
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2007, 08:48:38 pm »
I used to pirate GBA games because my country imports them from USA and they cost a fortune here. >.< And it's frustrating to pay a lot of money to buy a game you don't know very well if you'll like it. That's why PS2 was much more famous than GC here - most gamers would buy PS2 "pirate" games for 1/10 of the price. PS2 games were easier to decrypt/decode/whatever than GC games, so GC games were only pirated about 3 years later. - though it seems Nintendo gained more profit, as piracy is not good for the companies.

But well, it makes a lot of time since I stopped downloading GBA and SNES games, or buying "pirate" GBA games. Nowadays I only download anime, because I can't see them with the original voices in the TV (I prefer the Japanese sound, because I'm learning Japanese), and most anime don't have their CDs for sale here.
that is exactly what happens here, >_> a game cost like 100 dollars when just released D:! and the Wii cost 500 dollars if im right.. so piracy is really common here, I used to buy original Xbox games but half of those sucked, so I decided to buy pirate games, cause really, If i know a game will sucks why would I buy it? I prefer to test it.. I have 2 GTA SA one is the original and one is a copy, because the original stopped working..
I don't see anything wrong since, if you buy a pirate game or cd it is because if you had the money to buy t he original you wouldn't buy it because it doesn't worth it or you buy something pirate is becasue you will never have the money to buy t he original so IMO it doesn't affect an industry thaat much..
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2007, 10:58:36 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)

BuffaloBurgers

U B DA WAT!?
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2007, 08:26:00 pm »
Piracy is evil because you're denying some rich dude who works with the recording industry his 4th hottub. Think of the hottub!

EEE HUNG HUNG HA HA

COLORADO 27 - OKLAHOMA 24
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2007, 08:36:15 pm »
  • *whistle*
Piracy is evil because you're denying some rich dude who works with the recording industry his 4th hottub. Think of the hottub!

There's also all the not-so-rich dudes who work in the recording industry, who barely get by as it is, and can't quite make ends meet.

BuffaloBurgers

U B DA WAT!?
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2007, 12:31:55 am »
You mean the Bangladeshis they outsource actual work to? In their country they're making a fortune and a half too!

Or do you mean the starving artists who put the recording industry into business in the first place? The reason they don't get money is because the industry itself is too busy bathing in its big sacks of money.

EEE HUNG HUNG HA HA

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2007, 01:49:10 am »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2007, 07:38:12 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Why do people fail to see this at the most basic level?

Stealing for all intensive purposes is taking something from someone so that particular someone does not have that particular something anymore. The whole basis behind it being bad in the first place, since the dawn of mankind has been that the original owner of the item no longer has that item in his or her possession. This is no longer the case anymore, and the word "Stealing" has been grossly tainted.

Now; think about this.

I'm going to look at that "something", and make an EXACT COPY of it for my own personal use. That "someone" still has his or her "something". I just have a copy of it. That is not stealing, its copying.

I feel no remorse about copying a CD, however, I would feel remorse if I stole a CD from a store.

Why?

Because it takes something from the stores possession, and thats 1 potential sale for the record store (not the record company itself, but the local distributor) down the drain. Not because I might have bought it, but because someone else might have.

Downloading a CD however is completely different; I'll download it, I wont distribute it, and I would not have bought the album in the first place, therefor its not hurting their sales. Either way, the recording company has made their money. Music stores have already stocked up on their CDs, and they can still make their sales quota.

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2007, 05:15:31 pm »
  • *whistle*
I feel no remorse about copying a CD, however, I would feel remorse if I stole a CD from a store.

Why?

Because it takes something from the stores possession, and thats 1 potential sale for the record store (not the record company itself, but the local distributor) down the drain. Not because I might have bought it, but because someone else might have.

If you buy a CD, copy it, then return it to the store, you're expressly robbing them of that one sale. I really don't see the difference.
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2007, 08:55:51 pm »
  • :D

Why?

If you buy a CD, copy it, then return it to the store, you're expressly robbing them of that one sale. I really don't see the difference.

I wouldn't say that's stealing, I would say that's abusing the return system.
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2007, 09:50:27 pm »

Why?

I wouldn't say that's stealing, I would say that's abusing the return system.
I don't think I know of any stores that would take it back once you've opened it unless it was defective... but I'd say it's stealing.

I'm going to look at that "something", and make an EXACT COPY of it for my own personal use. That "someone" still has his or her "something". I just have a copy of it. That is not stealing, its copying.
No they don't... that "something" you refer to would be the money it takes to obtain it.  If you get a copy of it for free and they had to pay for it then they are losing their money, so if that CD cost them $10 then it's like you're stealing $10 of "something" from them.  Even though they don't "lose something", they would have 10 more dollars if they had gotten the CD for free.  It's actually more like you are stealing $10 from every person who has paid $10 for that CD (but not that extreme)
Or to think of it differently, let's suppose that you took a 100 dollar bill from someone and "made an EXACT COPY of it for your own personal use.  That "someone" still has his or her 100 dollar bill.  You just have a copy of it."  And you personally use it to buy something with (the purpose of money is to buy stuff with just as the use of music is to listen to).  So then is that okay?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 09:54:16 pm by dannyjenn »

BuffaloBurgers

U B DA WAT!?
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2007, 01:39:21 am »
It's somewhat irrelevant actually, considering the recording industry's going to go down in flames within the next couple of years. The people who buy music are mad at them, the artists are livid, and the RIAA's just throwing a fit because they're not making money off of somebody else's work.

Artists like Radiohead and Mike Jones (Yes, Mike Jones. He started his own record label) are paving the way for new system for music to be distributed. Instead of going through the middleman who takes all the money, artists can record on their own and release the music directly to the public for free. Then, they can recoup money from shows, t-shirts, donations, etc.

EEE HUNG HUNG HA HA

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2007, 04:07:08 pm »
  • *whistle*
It's somewhat irrelevant actually, considering the recording industry's going to go down in flames within the next couple of years. The people who buy music are mad at them, the artists are livid, and the RIAA's just throwing a fit because they're not making money off of somebody else's work.

Artists like Radiohead and Mike Jones (Yes, Mike Jones. He started his own record label) are paving the way for new system for music to be distributed. Instead of going through the middleman who takes all the money, artists can record on their own and release the music directly to the public for free. Then, they can recoup money from shows, t-shirts, donations, etc.

That only works for artists who already have a good reputation, large fan following and a lot of money behind them. Smaller, start-up bands still need labels to get them established. Recently, there's been a bigger push towards labels putting more promotion into live shows for bands, and actually using albums and singles as a promotion for gigs, not the other way around.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2007, 07:31:22 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Quote from: Mamoruanime jack o lantern=topic=21247.msg237940#msg237940 date=1193729892
I touch no remorse about copying taint CD, however, I would touch remorse if I stole taint CD from taint store.

Why?

Because it takes something from thebes stores possession, and thats 1 potential sale for thebes record store (not thebes record company itself, but thebes local distributor) down thebes drain. Not because I might have bought it, but because someone else might have.

if I buy taint CD, copy it, then return it to thebes store, I're expressly robbing them of this one sale. I really don't see thebes difference.
They dont let you return electronic merch after you've opened it, so that doesnt really work. at all.
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2007, 08:16:05 pm »
  • *whistle*
Quote from: Mamoruanime jack o lantern=topic=21247.msg237940#msg237940 date=1193729892
I touch no remorse about copying taint CD, however, I would touch remorse if I stole taint CD from taint store.

Why?

Because it takes something from thebes stores possession, and thats 1 potential sale for thebes record store (not thebes record company itself, but thebes local distributor) down thebes drain. Not because I might have bought it, but because someone else might have.

if I buy taint CD, copy it, then return it to thebes store, I're expressly robbing them of this one sale. I really don't see thebes difference.
They dont let you return electronic merch after you've opened it, so that doesnt really work. at all.

Depends on the store. Until recently, most stores did allow it. Now, because of the large number of people copying music to digital music players, they've stopped it. But it's still the same damn issue and stop ignoring the bloody point.

You're still expressly denying businesses and therefore entrepreneurs and labourers of an income, simply because you bloody well feel you're "entitled" to something you've never worked for or earned.

Nebetsu

Harbinger
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2007, 02:12:56 pm »
They allow you to return the electronic whatever for an item of the same thing. Like my Halo 3 special shiny box one that the bonus disc popped out of and got all scratched. I just took it back and got a new one... about 7 times. Anyways: What I couldn't do is take it back for... say... The Orange Box.

• Yiddish Nebbish
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2007, 03:17:56 pm »
Maybe it's different for where ever you people live, but where I am (in America) the stores (GameStop, etc.) have never let you return games once they've been opened (or at least not for as long as I remember).  And I buy most of my music online so I'm not sure about CDs but I assume stores would have a similar policy.  Unless the disc is defective then why should they take it back after it's been used?
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2007, 04:25:53 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
They rarely check if it works or not, they just take your word for it :)

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2007, 06:39:26 pm »
  • Bitte Scheiße
@Mammy
So I pay for a chuck of plastic/aluminum? What about the work the artist put into it?

I don't think a major company should care if there is a few, but they will if there is a lot of piracy.
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2007, 11:25:18 pm »
  • Modrill made the avatar. I command you to like it.
Why do people fail to see this at the most basic level?

Stealing for all intensive purposes is taking something from someone so that particular someone does not have that particular something anymore. The whole basis behind it being bad in the first place, since the dawn of mankind has been that the original owner of the item no longer has that item in his or her possession. This is no longer the case anymore, and the word "Stealing" has been grossly tainted.

Now; think about this.

Why?

Downloading a CD however is completely different; I'll download it, I wont distribute it, and I would not have bought the album in the first place, therefor its not hurting their sales. Either way, the recording company has made their money. Music stores have already stocked up on their CDs, and they can still make their sales quota.

Now... If everyone thought that way... What would happen?

My Brawl FC is 1289-8196-4511. Don't expect me to be on all the time though.
  • Super Smash Karts
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 76 queries.

anything