Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cindy Sheehan  (Read 2249 times)

Cindy Sheehan
« on: June 19, 2007, 07:22:02 pm »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
I know this is an old subject.  Very old.  But I saw a reel of news highlights the other day, and I remembered that I'd completely forgotten about her!  Personally I was severly upset how you had an MSNBC person going "can't talk back to her, because her son died", yet they blatently ignored all the mom's with dead sons that supported the war, and didn't hate Bush so fiercly.

Now, this debate isn't about the war, it's just talking about the ethics involved with her 5-minute claim to fame and how the media used her.

Personally, I think what she did cheapens the cause of the war.  If we start caring about individuals who die more than the bigger picture, we're an overly emotionalistic society.  And that saddens me.
Re: Cindy Sheehan
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 07:27:02 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I actually have to laugh when I here about the news ranting about the deaths in the war (i can understand now it's over, but during the war...) simply because:

It's a war! Death and War kinda go hand in hand. If we start focusing on everyone that dies, the whole (albeit very SHITTY) point of the war becomes overwhelmed with needless emotional baggage that will only slow down and hinder the progress.

Anyway, war over now. Rant is late, oh well, we are human, so their will ALWAYS be a next war.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 07:33:24 pm »
Congress gave authorization under the war powers act.  It's not illegal, but it is arguably unconstitutional.  Either way, congress did obviously vote on it.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 07:35:47 pm »
  • *whistle*
It's not illegal, but it is arguably unconstitutional.

Surely as the constitution is the foundation of all law in the United States, then anything unconstitutional is illegal - or at least against what the country stands for (and therefore you're effectively compromising with the enemy?)?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 07:37:31 pm by Pyru »
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 07:37:20 pm »
Laws have to be struck down as unconstitutional before the act can be considered illegal/legal.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 07:42:09 pm »
I'm just saying that Bush hasn't violated any laws, when CONGRESS passed the war powers act and authorized it through that.  I'm not saying that's a good thing.  I'm just saying it's not illegal.

Simple.

[EDIT]

And questioning my patriotism to divert attention from the facts is pretty useless when I haven't made any incriminating statements ;)

[EDIT2]

If congress is not involved in the creation of currency, or declaring war... then congress loses its power to really do anything and that gives the executive branch, or the non-governmental agencies more power over the US. It upsets the balance of government and puts us in more danger.

They [congress] authorized it through the war powers act.  Do I need to say this AGAIN?  It's really not that difficult of a concept to grasp.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 07:45:15 pm by 2awesome4apossum »
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 07:46:17 pm »
The constitution was first though, it is the foundational law and if enforced all these new laws that try to over rule its authority would be repealed.
Thus we have the JUDICIAL branch.  Goodness, this debate wasn't meant to be a thread about how American government works.  It was meant to be about Cindy Sheehan!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 07:50:55 pm »
The constitution was first though, it is the foundational law and if enforced all these new laws that try to over rule its authority would be repealed.
Thus we have the JUDICIAL branch.  Goodness, this debate wasn't meant to be a thread about how American government works.  It was meant to be about Cindy Sheehan!

What good is the judicial branch when congress ignores its responsibility and is basicly controlled, and the executive branch has almost all the power. The judicial branch itself is pretty corrupt, you think they enforce the constitution? Think again.

So your definition of a patriot is someone who fights to overthrow/change the government and protect our basic constitutional rights when interpretated word-for-word literally?

(Note: I'm not a believe in a "living constitution", just a believer in knowing context-- that's why we have the Federalist papers to look at.)
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 08:04:07 pm »
What's your opinion of Robert Bork?
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 08:07:29 pm »

I don't know much about him.
He was the Reagan nominee for the Supreme Court (didn't get confirmed, because he didn't agree with the opinion of Roe v. Wade), but he's a strict interpretor of the constitution.  If you ever get to looking up stuff about him, I'd love to hear your opinion.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 08:17:32 pm »

I don't know much about him.
He was the Reagan nominee for the Supreme Court (didn't get confirmed, because he didn't agree with the opinion of Roe v. Wade), but he's a strict interpretor of the constitution.  If you ever get to looking up stuff about him, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Well it should be up to the states to decide on abortion and not be dictated at the federal level.
True story.

EDIT: I think I've ruined your thread though so I'll shut up so you can discuss Cindy Sheehan.
Eh, forget it.  You're probably the only one who'll talk anyway. :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 59 queries.