Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Project System Now Available  (Read 6781 times)

New Project System Now Available
« on: September 11, 2010, 06:35:10 pm »
This is just to let everyone know that the new project system is up. This system replace the older system and bring a few extra features.
  • Search
  • New Layout
  • Being able to open things in a new tab/window
  • More linked in with the forum - when a new project is added, a topic is created as well and is linked to that project
  • New reporting system - reports can now include comments
  • New gallery system
  • New news system for projects - news posted on the user's project page is now posted on a board on the forum

For the time being the old project system will still be available and can be accessed by a link on the new project page, this is so all projects currently on there are still made available and so members can transfer their projects on to the new system as well as a precautionary measure if something goes wrong with the new project system.

The project boards on the forum will also still be available for a time as well until being able to create topics will be turned off and the only way will be to use the project system.

Any issues encountered should be posted in the feedback board.

Btw, those using the midnight theme are unable to access it yet.

Dr. Strange

Re: New Project System Now Available
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 05:18:56 pm »
I'm just wondering why the old project system cannot be converted to the new project system? I'm no SQL savvy person, but is it a non-technical reason why it's like that?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 05:24:57 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Seems to be good to go so far! Added my project with no problems! :)

EDIT: Ok, except for the default CSS being used on all themes on the project pages lol
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 05:33:37 pm by MG-Zero »

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 05:38:43 pm »
I'm just wondering why the old project system cannot be converted to the new project system? I'm no SQL savvy person, but is it a non-technical reason why it's like that?
There's a few reasons, one is that there is extra required fields that weren't present in the old one and also the type of files allowed to be uploaded have changed.

Dr. Strange

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 02:08:41 am »
There's a few reasons, one is that there is extra required fields that weren't present in the old one and also the type of files allowed to be uploaded have changed.
And you tie the project's being posted with an actual topic?

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 02:15:10 am »
An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

Appears when clicking "Discuss this Project". I don't know where the topic's supposed to be.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 02:18:48 am »
A problem with the previous site is that it was not getting used, and some of that was attributable to how a project posted on the site was different from what was posted on the forum - updating both was a bother and even if something was updated on the old site, if the project was older than the amount of projects on the first project page listing, the site update would largely go unnoticed.

If I am thinking about this right, the new project system seeks to make it so all site project topics are forum linked so that the site's content gets updated rather than stays dead. It also saves space because there are no longer two different areas which would get the same type of comments; the site projects' comment area is the forum topic. Also in the future when creating a topic for a project, the site will have to be used to create it. This more easily ensures that once a project is posted it will have the beginning requirements for being posted.

The error you are getting is because MG-Zero deleted the project he posted because when he created a project on the new site, it created a topic in Zelda WIP; he however already had a forum topic. It can be changed such that the topic the site refers to is one that is viable though, I will go forward with the edit to make that so. Edit: actually there seems to be an error where I cannot edit it, but I think I know how to fix this manually.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 02:21:08 am by 4Sword »

Jeod

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 02:22:42 am »
Maybe an another option: Link Project to Existing Topic

?

And then put in the full url leading to the topic..
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Dr. Strange

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 02:58:37 am »
Maybe an another option: Link Project to Existing Topic

?

And then put in the full url leading to the topic..
This isn't such a bad idea.
A problem with the previous site is that it was not getting used, and some of that was attributable to how a project posted on the site was different from what was posted on the forum - updating both was a bother and even if something was updated on the old site, if the project was older than the amount of projects on the first project page listing, the site update would largely go unnoticed.

If I am thinking about this right, the new project system seeks to make it so all site project topics are forum linked so that the site's content gets updated rather than stays dead. It also saves space because there are no longer two different areas which would get the same type of comments; the site projects' comment area is the forum topic. Also in the future when creating a topic for a project, the site will have to be used to create it. This more easily ensures that once a project is posted it will have the beginning requirements for being posted.

The error you are getting is because MG-Zero deleted the project he posted because when he created a project on the new site, it created a topic in Zelda WIP; he however already had a forum topic. It can be changed such that the topic the site refers to is one that is viable though, I will go forward with the edit to make that so. Edit: actually there seems to be an error where I cannot edit it, but I think I know how to fix this manually.
So the tl;dr version is: project site and topics are the same thing
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 03:10:15 am »
I think that Windy coded this mainly from the perspective of adding new projects, but he could add that in if he feels like it. The current system uses the topic number in such a way that posting just the link would require strippage. Also I edited the database such that the Sword of Divination page links to its correct forum topic. In the meantime or if Windy decides to not add in that previously mentioned functionality, a site page can be attempted to be created by a user, I can delete the "duplicate" topic, and then I could link the project to its old topic manually.

Jeod

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 03:15:55 am »
The suggestion was more of a way to integrate the function faster than waiting for new projects to pop up, and who knows how long that'll take. I like the system though; it's much more organized than using the search function!

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 03:22:14 am »
Just because someone has a fancy idea which makes things easier doesn't mean that the actual development and implementation of that idea is easy. The rest of the end of my post dealt with a means such that Windy wouldn't have to go in and code more if he did not want to or was burdened to where that would take some time.

Jeod

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 03:24:25 am »
Yeah, what do I know about how the system works? *kicks dust* Just a suggestion. Don't have to take it.  ::)

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 03:30:33 am »
What the hell? I am not saying your suggestion is bad or that it should not be implemented. I am just not Windy and I did not code the site, and I am saying that until Windy codes the suggestion (if he feels like it and if he has the time to do so considering he may be busy with other things), that I can circumvent this issue with a manual solution. Is it a graceful solution? No, but it gets it done.

Jeod

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 03:32:30 am »
Heh, sorry to say your previous post sounded a bit weird to me. Obviously I interpreted it wrong. My mistake!  :)

Dr. Strange

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 04:38:53 am »
4Sword, your responses seemed kinda sadistic tight butthole. It's not like TiffTuff was making a big deal out of his idea. And I doubt it would be hard to add the option to let the project developer to link the project to a topic on ZFGC. I am mainly an HTML coder but I have touched PHP before and to be honest it doesnt at all seem hard to do this. Just add a field in the sql tables and stick in somewhere a code reading/writing to that part. Don't make things that are simple seem difficult.. i don't like it when people do that.
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 05:29:35 am »
I am just not saying everything as well as I can be; I was just trying to be helpful and acknowledge how the system took Windy time to make. My skills in using MySQL, PHP, and HTML aren't great and he primarily coded all of the sites features. You are right though Dr. Strange that the feature is probably easy, I had trouble saying I didn't know what I was doing.
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 07:01:32 am »
Stop driving away the new guys 4sword :p
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Dr. Strange

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 02:26:27 pm »
I am just not saying everything as well as I can be; I was just trying to be helpful and acknowledge how the system took Windy time to make. My skills in using MySQL, PHP, and HTML aren't great and he primarily coded all of the sites features. You are right though Dr. Strange that the feature is probably easy, I had trouble saying I didn't know what I was doing.
Hahaha just say "I don't know what I'm doing, but Windy could probably figure it out when he gets around to it.", man! Apologies if I came off as mean, people tend to like/hate that about me. Ah, well, I wish Windy and the rest of whoever is in charge of ZFGC best of luck with the project system. :P

Jeod

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 02:38:59 pm »
Dude, 4Sword, don't be afraid to admit that you sometimes don't know what you're doing. It happens.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 76 queries.

anything