Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nintendo's Next Console Will Enter The HD Era, But Not The Hard-Drive Era  (Read 7287 times)

Re: Nintendo's Next Console Will Enter The HD Er...
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 03:37:25 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
If a console takes a high enough drop to screw up an HDD, it's going to screw the console up regardless of whether or not it has an SSD.  But, this is a Nintendo product, which tend to be a hell of a lot more durable.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 04:07:54 am »
Hard drives are old school now :P Solid state is totally where it is at! Nintendo just needs to figure out a way to make large solid state drives that are cheap :P But seriously, Nintendo has pretty much always made games for kids. Hard drives are still reasonably fragile, bulky, things that contain moving parts. Nothing in a computer except fans and maybe water pumps should have moving parts and are thus bad for kids; kid drops console solid state easily survives, kid drops hard drive a couple of times and it's toast.

U kiddin me bro. Tell that to Microsoft and Sony. It's not like kids are gonna go running around the house carrying their Wii2.

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 05:30:02 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Hard drives are old school now :P Solid state is totally where it is at! Nintendo just needs to figure out a way to make large solid state drives that are cheap :P But seriously, Nintendo has pretty much always made games for kids. Hard drives are still reasonably fragile, bulky, things that contain moving parts. Nothing in a computer except fans and maybe water pumps should have moving parts and are thus bad for kids; kid drops console solid state easily survives, kid drops hard drive a couple of times and it's toast.

U kiddin me bro. Tell that to Microsoft and Sony. It's not like kids are gonna go running around the house carrying their Wii2.

No, they will.  That's the premise of Wii Fit 2. 
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 02:17:52 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%

Video game consoles these days aren't marketed towards kids so much as teens to adults looking for a budget gaming solution. Nintendo still has the family oriented focus with their software and their hardware's durability but that's always been part of their corporate philosophy. Microsoft and Sony have always been tech companies and thus they're more likely to pump out more powerful but fragile products in general.

However I have to say I'm not impressed by Nintendo's build quality like most people. Pretty much every Nintendo product I've ever purchased has bit the big one aside from the NES and SNES. A GBC with the link-cable SATA port (I'm assuming its SATA-like anyway) disconnected from the actual device, two GCN's with Disc Read Error problems, a DS Lite with the top screen having gone completely out, some random game carts that just one day refused to boot up anymore, along with reports of bricked Wiis and cracked hinges on any new portable Nintendo product. The quality's not wowing me
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 02:42:30 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
However I have to say I'm not impressed by Nintendo's build quality like most people. Pretty much every Nintendo product I've ever purchased has bit the big one aside from the NES and SNES. A GBC with the link-cable SATA port (I'm assuming its SATA-like anyway) disconnected from the actual device, two GCN's with Disc Read Error problems, a DS Lite with the top screen having gone completely out, some random game carts that just one day refused to boot up anymore, along with reports of bricked Wiis and cracked hinges on any new portable Nintendo product. The quality's not wowing me

You must be tough on your gaming systems man.  I have never had a single one of my Nintendo consoles go belly up on me.  And I have had every console since the NES, including the hand held systems, GB Classic (Also the Miniature Version of the GB Classic which I can't remember what it was called), GB Color, GB Advance, GBA SP, Nintendo DS, and DS Lite.

I haven't ever had any real issues with any of the systems I have had listed above...  The closest thing would be that I have to fiddle with the games I put into the NES, because the connections are a little sketchy after so many years of use.

edit:  I just remembered that the speakers on my first GB classic did go out after many years of use.  But I just used head phones so it didn't really effect me much.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:44:44 pm by Aero88 »
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 04:10:54 pm »
Wally, what do you do to your consoles? O_o

I remember back when G4 was still good, they tested the durability of Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox.  GCN survived getting smashed with a hammer and being dropped from 15 or so feet onto concrete.

A GBC with the link-cable SATA port
Also wat

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 05:12:21 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.
I remember back when G4 was still good, they tested the durability of Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox.  GCN survived getting smashed with a hammer and being dropped from 15 or so feet onto concrete.

To be fair, the Xbox was still in working condition at the end, it's just that the power button came off and they couldn't find anything small enough to turn it on with.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 05:32:13 pm »

Also wat
Gamecube was physically durable, like most of Nintendo's consoles, but it did suffer from Disc Read Errors because the laser would burn out, and it's something that happened to my Gamecube, but was fixed in later versions. Also, DS lite suffers from broken hinges and L buttons.
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 11:48:54 pm »

I remember back when G4 was still good, they tested the durability of Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox.  GCN survived getting smashed with a hammer and being dropped from 15 or so feet onto concrete.

I take good care of my consoles, Nintendo products just tend to crap out on me. I've never had a PS2 or XBOX360 break on me, and my first-run Genesis still runs golden. NES still works, so does my SNES. Electronics have like a 5% failure rating or something like that anyway but it seems like I hit the dudes with Nintendo every single time.

Also wat

The trade jack, it was very annoying not being able to trade Pokemon :( I didn't know what to call it and it was early morning cut me some slack <_<

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 01:56:06 am »
Huh, interesting...the only Nintendo product I've had a problem with was the original DS (the triggers eventually stopped working).  My PS2 on the other hand...oh God help that thing.

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 02:11:44 am »
Original(fat) PS2's had a known problem of the laser burning out as well if you played DVD's with it too much. I had heard about this though and never used mines for DVD's, so it still runs fine. My second Gamecube is still running strong as well(since it had a fixed laser), as well as my N64. The original front-loader NES did eventually have reading problems(hence so many jokes about blowing into the cartridges to get them to work, but eventually that doesn't help), so mines doesn't read... at least easily. If I do get it to read a cartridge there is a very high likely-hood that it will end up freezing at the slightest vibration. GBA still runs fine though, and I'm sure if I still had my GB brick it would be too :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:05:31 pm by Dusty »
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 04:48:02 pm »
Yeah I was lucky to have my PS2 never stop on me. A lot of people's stopped reading blue discs (Which a lot of older games were printed on those things) after a while... Too much stress on the laser when you were playing dual-layer DVD games

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 12:42:42 pm »
E3 conference in just a few more hours. Excitement growing.

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 4468-1342-3783
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 07:00:12 pm »
Ok. How much does it suck?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:04:35 pm by Kleaver »
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 10:45:50 pm »
Looks...interesting...can't say too much as they didn't really show much more than the controller.

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2011, 02:37:31 am »
  • 笑い男
Showed a lot of interesting uses of it, more than I imagined myself, which I like a lot.
An interesting point in the "specs" revealed online is that you can expand on storage space via an external hdd (usb). Also interesting how it can be used with existing wii remotes (and their add-ons etc)
Apparently more info on how the online will work will come out this week, but I guess we're going to have to wait till next year to see how awesome (or not) it will be when the real games (and not just tech demos) are shown off.
Good to hear the 3rd party devs' thoughts at the end of the conference too though.

I had 4 points I wanted nintendo to cover going into to the conference: innovation, HD, online and 3rd party support.
I thought the innovation part was pretty much covered before the conference, but seeing just a tiny bit of how the controller can be used has marked innovation as great for me.
HD is definitely there (and I hear at least one tech demo renders different views to the screen and the controller, which would be huge work on the gpu), I just hope it is at LEAST PS3 level.
Online is very needed for 3rd party support (not just visuals) and hearing the 3rd party support does give me hope, but still no real idea about that one.
Finally 3rd party support seems strong (power and online capabilities of the console seem to satisfy devs putting out games for the other two consoles), but need to see how this one turns out over time I guess.

The future seems very interesting, but it just seems all too good to be true if they can truly pull all of this off, so right now I'd say I'm cautiously looking forward to the future.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 02:40:00 am by hawthorneluke »

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

DIFTOW

Tree-dee arteest
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 02:44:29 am »
  • I like make game
Meh, I'll only buy a Nintendo console if I have to for Zelda. I'm a PC guy all the way, and would prefer if consoles weren't involved in the mix.

Nintendo showed some interesting, impressing and innovating things, but at the same time left me with disappointment.

I expected more discussion on the hardware powering this machine, and the capability of playing media on it other than games.
  • Miriscus - My game dev team
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 04:52:24 am »
  • 笑い男
Nintendo always like to let the games do the talking, not have people jump to conclusions from numbers. Only problem is this time around no real games to show yet ^^;
pikmin 3 for wii U sounds good to me though :D

Although honestly having competition in the industry is probably what drives it forward more than anything. I see no problem with it. In fact I'd have a problem if there was only one system to get excited about.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 74 queries.