Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 years was worth the wait: MGS4  (Read 2536 times)

3 years was worth the wait: MGS4
« on: March 09, 2011, 01:25:06 am »
Finally bought another Playstation 3(got a 160gb).
I picked up Killzone 2 and 3(3 is amazing btw :3 ) and of course Metal gear Solid 4.
Now, i have spoiled myself by watching the ending when the game first came out but that was all I watched.  Having experienced it, I feel somewhat fulfilled.  I have been in the Metal Gear Universe since 1999 with MGS.
MGS 2 is by far my favorite right next to the first one.  win Snakes was alright but I felt it would have been better if they had left the original soundtrack in place.
MGS 3 was a great game as well but I wanted more of a continuation of MGS 2's story than going back in a prequel but it was still a great game.
 I also enjoyed Peace Walker and Portable Ops.  I tried Ac!d but couldn't get into it for some reason.

Anyway, the entire game of MGS 4 was wroth waiting 3 years since release to play through.  It is a great game.
I do think I understand why it really couldn't have been at the release time ported to 360.  If you really look at everything graphically during cut-scenes and in-game gameplay, I do not think that they could pull off the same thing with the 360 with limited storage media in a DVD.

Many parts of the game looked near if not as good as CG quality.  the only let down graphically is it doesn't flow at a silky 60 fps 70% of the time.  Seems more at or below 30 FPS.

I was one of those that really questioned why Konami didn't make a 360 version.  Having actually played the game, I now understand in my own way why they cannot port it.  I think MGS4 was specifically programmed with the Playstation 3 in mind.  They would probably spend at least a year re-coding all the graphical aspects alone, all the eye-candy.

Then again, I might not know anything.  But, MGS4 installs several times to the ps3 hdd, which, I don't know of any 360 games that really do that.  It doesn't matter because if they compressed everything in MGS4 onto a DVD, it would (IMO) ruin texture and audio quality of the game.

tl;dr  Finally played MGS4.  It was worth the wait.  Saddens me to see the chronological end to the MGS epic but everything ends at some time.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: 3 years was worth the wait: MGS4
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:28:03 am »
I never liked MGS. I played the first one and found it a horrible experience. I could not get used to the controls. The camera kept bugging me and I found the colors to plain and grayscaled. I also could not get engaged in the story. There just was no life in the world. Maybe its me but I always liked the happy go fluffy bright colors and really simplistic and repetitive stories that Nintendo uses.

Many parts of the game looked near if not as good as CG quality.
Funny as that says nothing, because Super Mario Bros and Metal Gear NES were also CG quality. CG often stands for Computer Graphics or Computer Generated. Thus a game that does not use shot movie scenes is always CG quality.

I think you meant Photo Realistic Graphics.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:30:07 am by Niek »

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:39:51 pm »
  • Silly cat!
I've played Twin Snakes, MGS2 and MGS3, and I've come to a conclusion that I do really like the MGS series. Mostly for the epic story, though a little anime-inspired (which does dull the experience for me), and the unique gameplay structure that I feel I could manage to be good at if I tried hard enough. I can understand why some people don't like MGS, though. I think the gameplay in the first 3 games is flawed in a lot of ways, a lot of people have compared it to Splinter Cell (namely Chaos Theory) and I think I can agree when they say Splinter Cell shits all over MGS, gameplay-wise. MGS has a certain charm though, and I really want to play MGS4, but I don't think I will until the PS3 experiences an enormous price drop, possibly in another 5 years.

Hoffy.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 05:00:00 pm »
I've played Twin Snakes, MGS2 and MGS3, and I've come to a conclusion that I do really like the MGS series. Mostly for the epic story, though a little anime-inspired (which does dull the experience for me), and the unique gameplay structure that I feel I could manage to be good at if I tried hard enough. I can understand why some people don't like MGS, though. I think the gameplay in the first 3 games is flawed in a lot of ways, a lot of people have compared it to Splinter Cell (namely Chaos Theory) and I think I can agree when they say Splinter Cell shits all over MGS, gameplay-wise. MGS has a certain charm though, and I really want to play MGS4, but I don't think I will until the PS3 experiences an enormous price drop, possibly in another 5 years.
E-bay or Amazon.

Hell, it's only $299...What, a $100 more than the 4gb 360.
But I don't know everyone's financial situation :/
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 05:10:54 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
I love Metal Gear Solid, but I never got into the sequels.  MGS2 was the only one I sorta enjoyed.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:14:10 am »
E-bay or Amazon.

Add and extra $200 or so and you reach the australian price.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:14:39 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
E-bay or Amazon.

Or just buy a US PS3 and jailbreak it so you can play games region free. WHOOPS! I think I just triggered a Sony lawsuit!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 01:47:13 pm »
  • odens knop
E-bay or Amazon.

Or just buy a US PS3 and jailbreak it so you can play games region free. WHOOPS! I think I just triggered a Sony lawsuit!
Unless it's Blu-ray you're after, the PS3 is region free. It is only Blu-ray movies that are region encoded. To my knowledge it doesn't help to jailbreak the system.

I don't see why an Australian wouldn't import a system if they wanted it so bad. I've gone through 3 360's during the lifetime of a single PS3 that I bought at the launch of MGS4.
|LEUS HERTAN MINAT|
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 02:12:04 pm »
Unless it's Blu-ray you're after, the PS3 is region free. It is only Blu-ray movies that are region encoded. To my knowledge it doesn't help to jailbreak the system.

I don't see why an Australian wouldn't import a system if they wanted it so bad. I've gone through 3 360's during the lifetime of a single PS3 that I bought at the launch of MGS4.

Eh... I'm not exactly sure, because I bought the Japanese version of FFVII: Advent Children Complete and it runs fine on my US PS3. However, that could just be Square Enix being awesome.
  • https://colbydude.com

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 02:25:42 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
E-bay or Amazon.

Unless it's Blu-ray you're after, the PS3 is region free.

I was actually unaware of this :P Good to know though
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 04:08:40 pm »
Yes.  The PS3 is region free.  Pretty neat if I want to import some games.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 60 queries.