Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zelda Standardization project  (Read 1932 times)

Miles07

Knight of ERA
Zelda Standardization project
« on: January 29, 2012, 05:24:11 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Just a poll / discussion question that I'm not sure has been asked yet: How do you feel about a Zelda Standardization project? As in, making every Zelda game of the series conform to one style (or one chimera of styles) of engine/sprites/music/questing/etc.

One really popular one (as an example) nowadays would be to make a bunch of the Zelda games match the Minish Cap (hereafter TMC) style of sprites, but there also are those who would rather make Oracle (Oos/OoA)-style sprites. Also, I know plenty of Zelda fans who have listened to the talented works of the Zelda Re-orchestrated (ZREO) music and insisted that they are video-game background-music (BGM) quality.

All I am asking is would you want to have such a project, and if so, what would you look for? FSA sprites? AoL gameplay? 3D all the way? Please post your opinions. I KNOW I'm not the only one who's thought of something like this before.
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
Re: Zelda Standardization project
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:12:00 am »
If you are going to standardize sprites and stuff. I would argue for the sprites and tiles that you make them of a size that would fit current size screens. Seriously the games that still use window sizes conform the GB(A) pixel size are getting freaking hard to see on a HD screen.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 08:13:39 pm »
  • It's just Max.
I agree with Niek, I hate how small lots of 2d games are on computers, and have gotten some disapproval for doubling the size of the pixels in my game, but it hurts my eyes otherwise. I always play GB(A) zeldas on my TV screen so they're blown up or stretched anyway.

I would also add, though, that a standardised zelda project sounds like a terrible idea. Why would you stifle diversity, when all the different styles have their own charm? I love the cartoon style in WW, and also the darker, realistic style of TP, and I'd hate to take away either.
That being said, I like how Square took that 2D kingdom hearts game and made it 3D. I don't really think they devote their resources in a logical or particularly creative way, but I like it anyway, and think a 3D Link to the Past would beat the hell out of a 2D OoT.

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 04:55:52 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
I would also add, though, that a standardised zelda project sounds like a terrible idea. Why would you stifle diversity, when all the different styles have their own charm? I love the cartoon style in WW, and also the darker, realistic style of TP, and I'd hate to take away either.

As would I, DNFTM, but several people still crave uniformity, despite the fact that the environments and atmospheres add to the game TONS. (Indeed, comparing Wind Waker to Twilight Princess, for example.) But still, you can see plenty of people asking/requesting/making/designing TMC-styled versions of Link's various forms, of enemies, or NPCs, etc.

And yes, I agree about the pixelated limitations that Niek mentioned. One reason that made me think about keeping an old CRT T.V., because it doesn't adhere to resolution settings. But yeah, it's kinda tough on the eyes looking at an HD screen.
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)

thestig

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 11:22:25 am »
To be fair, if you would could always go and emulate the CRT's visuals if you were so inclined to(this is how I emulate my games and it allows up-scaling to work awesomely on LCDs).  But as for the resources themselves, it would be a good idea to look into ways to getting the sprites to conform to higher resolutions than 320x240 or something like that. Like filteration options or even alternative methods, who knows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 47 queries.

anything