Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Work in progress] Ancient Manor (Sheikiah Temple)  (Read 6891 times)

[Work in progress] Ancient Manor (Sheikiah Templ...
« on: June 10, 2012, 07:46:59 pm »
June 17th, 2012

Here is a first bit of dungeon to show. It is only small and pretty linear so far. It is only part of the first floor in the mansion. I used the Sanctuary and Hyrule Castle tiles to form this, because it is the closest I could get to mystic and dark. But the tiles need to be swapped with the propper ones later.

Okay, I will be starting work on the 4th temple in the game. Here are some initial notes:

Name: Ancient Manor
Background: This is the home of one of the 4 noble men who created the cogs to lock the triforce away. He didn't trust anyone with the protection of the cog, but himself. He even took the cog with him in the grave. When he died the Mansion was sealed and everyone in it was put in hibernation. Through time and the roughness of the valley has deteriorated the Mansion. Although the cogs had to be sealed he did devise a way for one of pure heart, who needed to get to the triforce to save Hyrule, to retrieve it. He had placed 3 crystals, each activated with the power of cogs, in order to unseal the back door and enter the garden and crypt.
Floors:
   Mansion part: 1 basement floor and 4 floors (4th floor is the roof)
   Garden part: 1 floor
   Crypt part: 1 floor and 3 basement floors
Weapons:
    - Sword
    - Shield
    - Boomerang
    - Hookshot
    - Bomb Cannon
    - Bow & (Normal/Fire/Ice) arrows
    - Magnetic Gloves
    - Shadow Cloak (later on)
Abilities:
    - Walking
    - Pushing and pulling
    - Ledge jumping
    - Lifting, throwing and dropping
    - Rolling
    - Climbing
    - Edge Hanging
    - Jumping
    - Vaulting
    - Tightrope walking
    - Wall Running
Major Characteristics:
    Boss Fight: Lowest floor of the Crypt
    Mini-Boss Fight: Garden
    Cog place: Vault north of the boss fight on the lowest floor of the Crypt
    Shadow cloack: Entrance of the Crypt part on the 1st floor
    Map: 3F of the mansion part
    Compass: Basement floor of the mansion
    Boss Key: Somewhere in the Crypt
    First Cog crystal: Highest floor of the Mansion (forest/wind cog)
    Second Cog Crystal: Floor 2 of the Mansion (Sea cog)
    Third Cog crystal: Basement floor of the Mansion (Earth cog)
Most likely threats and puzzels:
    1) To enter the dungeon light the torches of fire and ice.
    2) Torches can be lit with fire arrows and ice arrows. Fire arrows cause normal light, ice arrows cause spirit light. Normal light for fighting enemies en spirit light to see unseen paths and doors. Lit torches can be changed with the correct arrow.
    3) Holes drop you down a floor, unless it is the bottom floor then you will get hurt.
    4) Shoot torches with the correct light (in the correct pattern) to solve a puzzle.
    5) Climbing walls and ladders to get to higher areas, besides the regular stairs.
    6) Unhook the chandelier in the entrance with the curve of a boomerang to unlock the basement and putting a big hole in the floor.
    7) Swinging beams. you can't jump over them, you can't walk under them. You can't destroy them. And you can't walk through them. Time your roll at the right time to avoid the beams and cross to the other side.
    8 ) Use ledgehanging, wall running, hookshot, tightropewalking to cross the gaps.
    9) Use the magnetic gloves and twisting magnetic columns to cross gaps. Use a swinging beam to cross a gap
    10) Before the Boss you have to go up a floor to unchain a big ball that contains monsters. If it hits the floor it will crack the support columns in the room below. Go down a room. Shoot the support columns and the ceiling crashes down along with the big ball. Ball will roll down the room crashing through a giant cracked wall that you can't open with any weapon. Allowing Link entry to the next room where the ball is lodged in the wall and it unleashes it final monsters.
    11) Use Shadow clones to push down switches. Push down a Shadow clone from a ledge down on a switch before a giant gap.
    12) Pull chains to open doors.
    13) In front of one wall is a puddle of water. Shoot it with the ice arrow and the puddle and wall freeze. Blast it with the Bomb Canon next to open a hole.
    14) Use keys, hit switches or defeat enemies to open doors.
    15) Activate the three Cog crystals to get access to the garden.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:35:18 pm by Niek »
Re: [Work in progress] Ancient Manor (Sheikiah T...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 10:24:11 pm »
  • It's just Max.
I really like the layout and some of the ideas here, like the first part being separate from the second part, and having a clear goal in the first part, which is to get into the second part. And having a midway point being a garden is nice too, I REALLY like the idea of having a mini boss battle in the garden.

The puzzles and threats you have here are also very nice, good thinking!

I personally don't like the idea of having a residence being part of the dungeon, and this is all just personal taste, I think it'd be cooler if it were either some kind of temple (slightly generic, I know, but with lots of statues and Egyptian columns and stuff, a shiekah knowledge tower of sorts), or an ancient library (like the lost library of Alexandria, fits with the shiekah knowledge motif).

But the idea of catacombs beneath holy appeals to me.

Also, just a brainstorm, but perhaps if this dungeon is kinda split up, we could even make it so you could accomplish the first half without the fire & ice arrows, but they're needed to get into the second half.
I don't really think I'll even campaign for that one much, though. Going right down from the first part into the mini boss fight in a garden is pretty cool. And it'd be night time too. No matter what. It'd be cooler that way.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 11:11:24 pm »
  • King of the hoard!
This looks solid so far, but I'm not sure how fitting a manor is for a Sheikah-themed dungeon, even if it's only the first half.  I think it could be cool to have a Sheikah training grounds of sorts for the first half, it would be fitting to have all sorts of traps in there that turn them into such deadly warriors.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 01:06:49 pm »
Thanks guys,

I personally don't like the idea of having a residence being part of the dungeon, and this is all just personal taste, I think it'd be cooler if it were either some kind of temple (slightly generic, I know, but with lots of statues and Egyptian columns and stuff, a shiekah knowledge tower of sorts), or an ancient library (like the lost library of Alexandria, fits with the shiekah knowledge motif).
My taste is that I actually like the Idea of a residence. It was my favorite dungeon in TP. However, I must say that it is hard to come up with a residence so big. I don't know how those American celebrities and Donald Trump actually fill their houses.  I was thinking about having the floors 2F and 3F being the residential area for the old lord, which are also the most in rumble. 4F is the roof. The basement was for storage like wine, food and other stuff. And 1F is the floor of learning, with books (library) and medetation (temple) and the likes.

I just wanted to make something else then a cave or actual dungeon.

Also, just a brainstorm, but perhaps if this dungeon is kinda split up, we could even make it so you could accomplish the first half without the fire & ice arrows, but they're needed to get into the second half.
I don't really think I'll even campaign for that one much, though. Going right down from the first part into the mini boss fight in a garden is pretty cool. And it'd be night time too. No matter what. It'd be cooler that way.
Sorry, I have the Ice and Fire arrow already in the some puzzles. I shall post something more later this weekend, once I find the time. I have to entertain a number of guests for my birthday as well.

One more thing. I assume that the view size is about 240 by 160 pixels. I haven't put my rooms on such a grid as zdude did, but the smallest room is at least of that size.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:02:29 pm by Niek »
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 03:19:06 pm »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
I used the MC view(256x176) as the basis for my rooms due to us using MC graphics.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 03:24:17 pm »
GBA screen has a resolution of 240 x 160 pixels. The additional 16 is just a transitional tile row and column for when the view can scroll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 03:24:51 pm »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
damn, I made another mistake....
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 03:42:01 pm »
Actually, it is not a mistak. MC doesn't have dungeons with rooms on a grid. That is more for the GB(C) games.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 10:35:34 pm »
Here is a first bit of dungeon to show. It is only small and pretty linear so far. It is only part of the first floor in the mansion. I used the Sanctuary and Hyrule Castle tiles to form this, because it is the closest I could get to mystic and dark. But the tiles need to be swapped with the propper ones later.
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 11:09:17 pm »
  • It's just Max.
It looks pretty great! You're starting to convince me that a residence style thing could work.

I don't think this is really the main focus of this topic, but what do you think about having a different graphic theme than so medieval? Like having mainly roman or greek influences, maybe even with egyptian influence in there a little. I think what appeals to me least is that a residence dungeon tends to wind up, in video games, as a really bland regular dungeon with some ruined furniture. Don't get me wrong, I like the book cases and ruined furniture, and I know these aren't the final graphics, I just really think that we should incorporate a different color scheme, and add pillars and little alcoves and stuff.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 07:04:17 am »
I chose these graphics, because they look the most mysterious and magical to me. However I must say that I am not satisfied with this either. But the tiles can always be changed and such. This topic is about the layout and such. The reason that I use tiles for mapping, is that I mapped a dungeon once for a contest and first made a layout on paper. Later I had to scrap a lot of rooms and reinvent a lot of rooms, because the top view made for very thick walls.

I always thought that the Sheikiah had some Japanese/Arabian culture style thing going on.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 07:10:19 am by Niek »
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 09:41:47 am »
Looks great.
I know the style isn't a match, but here are some old manor tiles to look at, if only for inspiration.
http://spriters-resource.com/gameboy_advance/mlss/chateauchucklehuck.png
Obviously not Japanese or Arabian themed but certainly an old manor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 61 queries.

anything