Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wow, Sony's stupid  (Read 3411 times)

Wow, Sony's stupid
« on: June 10, 2006, 06:45:02 pm »
  • I almost has over 9000 everything!
Ok, the article is 10 days old, but still, now they are claming that they introduced 3-D graphics.

According to Sony, it did not take its cue for including motion-sensing technology in its revised PlayStation 3 controller from Nintendo, so says Sony Europe executive Phil Harrison. In an interview published by German news outlet Spiegel, Harrison refutes claims and the widely held suspicion that the new design looked to directly steal away some of Nintendo's thunder.

"In a way I understand why people say [we copied Nintendo], but it is a little stupid, if you forgive the phrase. When we brought the PlayStation to the market in 1994, we introduced real-time 3D graphics for the first time. When Nintendo launched its N64 in 1996 it also had 3D graphics, did we say, "Nintendo stole our idea?" Of course not. Such innovations become possible because of a combination of technology, cost and manufacture capacities." Though of course, the idea of playing games in 3D had existed for a long time in the arcades. The idea of controlling games with a motion sensor has not. So the analogy is somewhat flawed.

Harrison continued, "We've been working on [a motion-sensing controller] for a long time and Nintendo has certainly been working on something similar. The difference between our strategy and that of our competition is that our controller is still similar to the Dual Shock, the industry standard controller. I estimate that nearly 400 million Dual Shock controllers have been sold worldwide."
\ advertisement /

And on its deployment, Harrison makes a bold claim, stating all PlayStation 3 software will make use of the motion-sensing tech. "...all games will use the motion sensor somehow. If you play a platform or soccer game now, you will move the controller. Now for the first time we can use both the primary input, executed by the analog sticks, and at the same time use the movements that the player makes as a secondary input. That is an important advantage, which only the PlayStation controller has."

Source: http://news.spong.com/article/10155?cb=661

Wow, Sony must have missed Starfox (which came out in 1993), or any of the other consoles before that were capable of producing 3d graphics.

• Puyo Nexus
Re: Wow, Sony's stupid
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 06:48:22 pm »
We all know that Sony is stupid and btw you forgot the "they are retarded" part. ;)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 06:50:17 pm »
Does BattleZone count?  That game for Atari where you drove a tank and shot stuff, because I remember a lot in the game that was 3D.  It was not as sophisticated as today's games of course, but it drew objects in 3D in real-time. 
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 06:52:45 pm »
Yes, 3D games were invented long before PS1
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 06:53:47 pm »
  • =/
We all know that Sony is stupid and btw you forgot the "they are retarded" part. ;)
I agree.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 06:59:20 pm »
  • I almost has over 9000 everything!
Does BattleZone count?  That game for Atari where you drove a tank and shot stuff, because I remember a lot in the game that was 3D.  It was not as sophisticated as today's games of course, but it drew objects in 3D in real-time. 

I would say that is 3D.

• Puyo Nexus
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 07:02:20 pm »
That they said that proves more how mentaly retarded they are.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 07:04:29 pm »
Wow, I can't believe they said that...

They're making themselves look worse and worse.
"May the innovation be with you."

www.guffa.smf4free.com
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 07:06:36 pm »
C'mon no one can forget Frontier and Elite
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 07:37:39 pm »
Maybe Sony meant that they were the first to make a console that stepped away from 2D and was 3D: a console that would have a majority of 3D games.  I dislike how Sony said how they had 3D motion in mind with the PlayStation when they released the console though, as the first controller was an SNES clone which only had a fragmented directional pad for 2D motion (well, it had two sets of shoulder buttons, but that was only one more set than the SNES).

In the same paragraph that the Sony executive is quoted for, he also says that his own analogy is flawed though, so it more than likely seems that this executive does not convey his ideas well.

EDIT: Forgot about the Sega Saturn which came out on November 22 1994, the PlayStation came out on December 3 (Japan)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 07:40:41 pm by 4Sword »
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 07:42:55 pm »
Sony is awesome.

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 07:43:36 pm »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
LOL IM SONY AND I INVENTED THE THIRD DIMENSION!!!!!!!!

Sony can be a bit stupid on occasion, about the copying its quite obvious they did..that would be a HUGE coincidence if not.
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 07:50:58 pm »
Sony is awesome.
My grandmother too.

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 08:02:21 pm »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
Oh is this spam...no?

Anyway is starfox really considered 3d cause its vector right (dont make fun of me i have no clue XD)
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 08:21:08 pm »
Oh is this spam...no?

Anyway is starfox really considered 3d cause its vector right (dont make fun of me i have no clue XD)

No its not vector like all lines even though it has very simple looks:

It used Mode7 effects from the Super FX Chip it has within, hence the cartridge having more pins than a standard one.

I ♥ Open Girlfriend (What!? I didn't add this.. must have been Solly!)
  • My DevArt Account

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 08:22:43 pm »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
Ah...I remember an old nintendo power (i own every NP ever) i was reading and it was all about the super gfx card XD
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 08:24:09 pm »
Starfox was really 3d.
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2006, 08:52:48 pm »
starfox was a nice game

---rated E for everyone

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2006, 08:57:57 pm »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
Yeah rated E unlike your avatar sig combo which forms an ascii penis :/
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2006, 09:20:59 pm »
Actually starfox was fake 3D, they use polynormial grids to make it look 3D when you're really just moving forward on one screen.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 77 queries.