Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

Keep Midnight as the default?

Yes!
- 11 (52.4%)
Nooooooo. Give me Minish(or kikori), or give me death!
- 10 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: April 03, 2012, 10:26:08 pm

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: April Fools Update!  (Read 8685 times)

thestig

April Fools Update!
« on: April 01, 2012, 04:47:36 am »
ZFGC April 1st Update!
Hey guys, I'm just letting you all know that we've been hard at work since 4Sword tossed the torch over to your new administrators. :) As of today, we have managed to get the last disabled part of Windy's CMS up and running, which was the resources section. Functionality for the CMS was in there, but I went in and did a number of changes that fixed the CMS breaking on PHP 5.3. The old resources have been restored and brought over to the new code base! And to put more icing on the cake, I've went in and created topics corresponding to resource entries as Windy intended with his new design.

Themes
Today marks the 6th Anniversary of this ZFGC's installation, with the 9th Anniversary following! To celebrate this occasion, I restored the old Midnight Theme from ye olde times and tried to stay true to its original design. Along with this comes automatic theme switching for users of the Minish and Midnight Theme. Unfortunately, I hadn't gotten around to porting Vaati to the CMS's template system yet.

That being said, who would like to keep this theme as the default? I will host a poll for a couple days just to get some user-input rolling here.

Future Foresight
I would like to announce today that we are currently working on a brand new codebase for the site which will replace Windy's code and SMF with a unified codebase. This codebase will be written in Ruby on top of Rails 3. We would love to bring back ZFGC API among many other things that are in the works right now. Have any ideas? Post here, we want some discussion! :) Stay tuned for more updates as we continue settling in. Maybe we will host a Character Competition... or perhaps, we will make a big announce of something cool? The only way to find out is to stick around! :D

One last thing, do you think [madrassauce] should be banned?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:59:46 am by gm112 »
Re: April Fools Update!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 05:06:13 am »
Great progress thus far team, keep up the good work.. things are looking great!
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 05:07:36 am »
  • It's just Max.
Ban him!

Also, I think the main page needs a huge redesign, and if possible, the entire community should help shape it. I really like the idea of a yahoo-news style "notable projects" changing board, where a graphic and one sentence summary of a project would appear in a certain section of the homepage with a link to that project's topic, kind of like how project of the "month" is now, but it would automatically cycle through three or four different projects.

Also, the link to the forums should be more obvious. They're kind of a big deal, but they're hidden as the fourth link under the last tab. Also, for a second when I was checking where it was, that tab wouldn't stay there. And it auto shifted to the midnight theme when I went to resources.... D-8
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 05:30:52 am »
Looking great so far, yes he definitely should be banned.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 06:57:02 am »
Et tu, FISSURE? Et tu?  :'(

I prefer Minish theme. Don't know but midnight seems so dark.

thestig

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 06:59:33 am »
^^Some people feel that way, yes.

Oh and sorry for the abrupt theme change for those on Default. I forgot to submit the change that change default to midnight. Depending on the poll, it will either revert or stay the same!

[madrassauce] raided this place.. it makes me sick. :X
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 07:05:24 am »
While I like the readability that the Midnight theme has, aspects of how it looks overall seem too dated. It'd be cool somehow if the color scheme of Midnight could be hue shifted to a dark green and then a copy of Minish altered to use that dark green layout - like it'd have the readability and the Minish whatnot. I don't know personal opinion I guess.

thestig

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 07:37:11 am »
While I like the readability that the Midnight theme has, aspects of how it looks overall seem too dated. It'd be cool somehow if the color scheme of Midnight could be hue shifted to a dark green and then a copy of Minish altered to use that dark green layout - like it'd have the readability and the Minish whatnot. I don't know personal opinion I guess.
I agree in the sense that it does look dated. It does. In fact, any theme based off of the 'core' theme really looks dated, in my opinion. It feels very YaBBish still and that's a design paradigm that's been overused for the last 10 years. Though I'll admit, it was semi-intentional for it to feel this way because I tried to stay faithful to the original.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 08:04:18 am »
[madrassauce] raided this place.. it makes me sick. :X
That actually applies to me, I thought the PM about getting banned was a joke but it actually happened to me lol.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 12:36:16 pm »
Apparently [madrassauce] didn't do enough to secure his position. But he can't be stopped, he'll always be back.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:53:39 pm by Jeod »
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 01:28:39 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Well, first off, you guys have so far not voted to ban me for I am A WOMAN instead of A GUY. For all of those who are saying, "Ban him", I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. TROLOLOLOLO! I SHALL RAID THIS PLACE AND SPREAD MY FEMALE INFLUENCE ON THE ENTIRE FORUM!!!!!!!!! YES, KITTENS AND BUNNIES EVERYWHERE!

In all seriousness, I'm glad the Midnight theme is back and gm is working quite hard on improving the forum. Kudos to him, guys!
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 01:50:37 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Haha Star, you don't get it?

I kind of agree with 4sword about the minish vs midnight theme, Minish seems more professional. The colours are nice, but it kinda reminds me of when I thought I wanted to be a goth kid in 5th grade and changed the theme of my computer to be "dark" with windows XP, haha. Since it's so easy for users to change it (at least, I thought so, but I can't find it anymore...), it makes more sense to have the most modern, professional version up as default for visitors who come to check the site out.

I really like Phantom Ganon at the top, though. But you used to be able to click up thre to return to the main page of the forums, and now you can only find a tiny sliver of that to click on. The area that's clickable is smaller than the area where it says Zelda Fan Game Central and has a picture.
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 04:14:07 pm »
I actually think in the absence of midnight I've come to like vaati more... [madrassauce] doesn't seem to agree though.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 04:50:42 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I agree, [madrassauce] really needs to be banned...

On the subject of midnight being dated, what are some things we can do to bring it up to date?  Assuming of course, we don't want to strictly stay true to the original.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 05:41:13 pm by MG-Zero »

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 05:25:49 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
 [madrassauce] is the reason we have been suffering from low activity for the last while.  Ever since  [madrassauce] became a member everybody fled because of said members shear stupidity.  Perhaps though, our view of [madrassauce] lies in the eye of the beholder.  There may still be some people who don't mind [madrassauce] some of the time.  Personally though...  so banned!

edit:  You know...  For a minute I almost thought everybody hated me...  But then I realized it was [madrassauce] that they hated.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 05:35:54 pm by Aero88 »

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 05:52:16 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
I am so confused right now >_<

Jeod

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 05:54:24 pm »
I am so confused right now >_<

Give me your aim/msn.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 06:03:32 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
I GET IT NOW. OMG

Jeod

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 06:05:25 pm »
[madrassauce], you really are dumb for not seeing this by now. Have you even tried quoting a post?

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 06:09:40 pm »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
Well yes Jeod I have tried quoting a post before. I haven't seen anyone use this in years so I forgot that this even existed. Also, no need to be rude.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 79 queries.