Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Graphics not important? Nintendo doesn't agree. (ironically)  (Read 3784 times)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Graphics not important? Nintendo doesn't agree. ...
« on: May 18, 2010, 09:58:36 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
From this article.

Little bit of an old piece, but this quote stands out-

“I can tell Nintendo’s staff has really been galvanized by you. I can tell they feel like you did what they hadn’t yet. Looking at the graphics objectively, I feel like the game’s visuals are one of the representative examples of what can ultimately be done with Wii. I think it has placed the Zelda team under a considerable amount of pressure.” - Iwata Aska

Kind of funny to me, considering the Wii has the worst graphics out of the other consoles. Obviously they're feeling at least a little bit of burn from their poor development choice to have sub-par graphical capabilities on their system. Then again, when you dominate the market of retarded non-gamer casuals and you realize your core demographic has lost all faith in you, some decisions are made when you find out those non-gamer casuals don't have any form of real loyalty to stay with you when the next generation hits :P

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
Re: Graphics not important? Nintendo doesn't agr...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 11:42:52 am »
  • b e p i s
I don't really see here where Nintendo is calling graphics important. Aska seems to just be impressed that the Zelda team can pull really impressive graphics out of the weak Wii hardware, which actually is a noteworthy feat.

And yes, the Wii still sucks.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 07:37:35 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
I don't really see here where Nintendo is calling graphics important. Aska seems to just be impressed that the Zelda team can pull really impressive graphics out of the weak Wii hardware, which actually is a noteworthy feat.

And yes, the Wii still sucks.

Actually it's a bit of the other way around :P The Zelda team is feeling pressure to improve the graphics thanks to MHT's visuals 
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 08:05:49 pm »
Ah well, Zelda Wii still has some time. No screens have been released and it is really common to delay releases.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 08:16:44 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Ah well, Zelda Wii still has some time. No screens have been released and it is really common to delay releases.

Yeah; it's just a bit of insight towards where they were going and where they will eventually end up :P especially with this line-
Looking at the graphics objectively, I feel like the game’s visuals are one of the representative examples of what can ultimately be done with Wii. I think it has placed the Zelda team under a considerable amount of pressure.”

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 11:45:45 pm »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
I could care less about fancy graphics. I play older games that aren't all created from the same cookie cutter. :P

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 12:17:38 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
My personal feelings basically amounts to "it doesn't have to be shiney 3d, but at least utilize what you have"... A good example-

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 02:17:12 am »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
My personal feelings basically amounts to "it doesn't have to be shiney 3d, but at least utilize what you have"... A good example

Actually Mammy I've been meaning to pick that up. Is it any good?

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 05:28:09 pm »
  • Xiphirx
I could care less about fancy graphics. I play older games that aren't all created from the same cookie cutter. :P

This

And this
My personal feelings basically amounts to "it doesn't have to be shiney 3d, but at least utilize what you have"... A good example-

Thanks guys, you read my mind.

Although it is pretty ironic, I don't even want to know what was going in their heads when they said "Hey, lets just add motion controls to the GameCube!".
  • For The Swarm

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 05:36:49 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
My personal feelings basically amounts to "it doesn't have to be shiney 3d, but at least utilize what you have"... A good example

Actually Mammy I've been meaning to pick that up. Is it any good?

It's like sex cream all over the wiimote; and that's pretty damned good.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 05:41:44 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
I don't even want to know what was going in their heads when they said "Hey, lets just add motion controls to the GameCube!".

They were thinking, "Hey, how can we be different without necessarily being good?"
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 06:22:00 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Good graphics are like physical attractiveness: Ugly is a deal breaker, anything else can be forgiven so long as the other attributes are up to scratch ^^

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 11:30:35 pm »
  • b e p i s
I don't even want to know what was going in their heads when they said "Hey, lets just add motion controls to the GameCube!".

They were thinking, "Hey, how can we be different without necessarily being good?"

I imagine it more like this:

"Grorious Nintender invent new controrrer! Change gaming!"
"Expensive! More than PS3!"
"Ret's attach it to a GameCube"
"HOYHOYHOYHOYHOYHOYHOYHOY IT PRINTS MONEY!"
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 06:59:02 am »

If you don't like it, then don't buy it. Otherwise whining is pretty much pointless.

Sony and MS might have webcrawlers searching fora and blogs for opinions, but Nintendo only looks at their sells and the Wii sells like crazy.
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 08:17:42 am »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine

I imagined it more like:

"okay, lets add something new. With the N64 we pushed 3d gaming into the worlds face, and it was amazing. Every console is now doing the same thing. So, lets add something new, instead of making the gamecube 2."

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 02:19:08 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.

If you don't like it, then don't buy it. Otherwise whining is pretty much pointless.

I don't think he was whining :|

Anyway; if you ask me I think the death of Gunpei Yokoi and the advent of Satoru Iwata changed Nintendo's entire marketing strategy. Gunpei cared about their demographic, and after his death they pretty much focused on the Yen.

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 04:25:53 pm »
  • b e p i s

I don't think he was whining :|

No, I wasn't. What the hell?

Anyway, to clarify, I love the Wii technology. I think it's cool as !@#$% and that the system is fun to play. However, I think developers aren't as attracted to it because the system's power means that not only can graphics not be as good, but that there are limitations to the size of your game, its levels, etc. I think it would have been a great system had the technology been put to use with more powerful hardware.
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 06:22:06 pm »
Okay,my mistake.

Dantz, that is Nintendo. They want there products to be cheap and small. When it is just cheap, the products are either clunky or lower performance older tech. When it is just small then it is either expensive or lower performance older tech. Having it both like Nintendo wants, you end up with lower performance older tech.

When Nintendo comes with the successor of the Wii, I don't expect it to out perform the Xbox360. And the OS that Nintendo uses, will not improve either, because Nintendo is a Game developer and not something else.
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 07:38:16 pm »
They want there products to be small.

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 06:48:46 am »
Iwata:
    Wii certainly stands out in comparison with the other game consoles that are available. Firstly, it's by far the smallest. Tell us a bit about this.
Takamoto:
    Well, as you said, one of the most striking aspects of Wii is its small size. Our specific target in developing this console was to make it no larger than 2 or 3 stacked DVD cases. Of course, this was a direct order from you! (laughs)
http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/wii_console/part_2/

In every interview I have seen about the Wii is that it had to be small and cheap. DSi XL may look huge to its DSi counterpart, but it is still really small against some of the original handheld devices such as the Atari Lynx and SEGA gamegear.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 75 queries.

anything