Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3d loz using a custom art style  (Read 3919 times)

3d loz using a custom art style
« on: June 21, 2010, 06:59:23 am »
Entirely new models with detailed textures using Blender GIMP and various online sources.  An entire storyline and a single player adventure into a parallel world controlled by a corrupt mind.  

^ that was supposed to be my eye catcher ad.

Anyway, i am attempting to create my own game use the said programs.  The programing is still under debate between C++ and C#, i personally now C# a little better but C++ is said to be more powerful and diverse to API's and such.  So i am still looking in to that.  

Back to the art, again i am using Blender for the 3d models which some i have almost finshed building and are almost ready to be textured and animated.  the mesh of the landscapes is near and around 1.5 units per edge and the keep polly flow that runs thought most of the object.  in case anyones interested, i find the key to modeling a good landscape is perfection in imperfection, if that makes sense.  See landscapes, mountains, valleys and even plains rarely ever have a perfect line set of vertices the up then down, and then above the other, so thats what i go by.

Now to  textures i use GIMP for one  because its basically a free version of Photoshop, and its fairly easy to navigate around and export files. But i have created a couple unfinished pieces of concept art in it including a redead dog, a new type of stalfo, one of the bosses(which the art for will not be shown until the end but ill say hes a skeletal humanoid, nothing like stallord),  and a piece of the forest village area (real name to come later). this will be shown except he boss one as they are finished.  The village forest area and most of the the stalfo skull are almost done modeling wise. these are going to be textured using gimps no edge manipulator which allows you to create a tilled image without having any lines when you have to repeat part of the image.  A lot of the textures will be pulled from the internet but i will also make some myself using GIMP.  

Heres some screens of the almost finished 3d models (untextured).

Forest area walking area done sill need the boundary walls so people don't fall into 3d space.

This is the skull 3d model for stalfos bubbles and such as you can see there is no jaw and the back of the head needs to be finished

This is the concept art for the redead dog, I am deciding on whether or not to make parts of it show bones, but this is the current art

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I know its a very large project but, this is what i enjoy doing and so far its going great. I hope you enjoy watching the DEV.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:18:54 am by jonj2040 »
Re: 3d loz game using tp like texture
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 09:31:21 am »
As good as those models look... the high resolution polygons is going to instantly kill the game.

If I were you I would reduce those polygons by more than HALF really :3

Just my advice, I would like to see more updates to this :3
Game Designer and Artist

My Zelda Projects Official Site:
http://unicornslair.byethost17.com

I encourage you, please rate my Project here!
  • The Legend of Zelda: Secret Depths of the Unicorns Lair
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:07:00 pm »
Those are great models, but you should consider lowering the poly-count. They will still look great, really. Keep it up
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 08:00:21 pm »
Ok, well i have finished modeling the forest are and now just has to be textured have trees added and be added to the script which i have decided to use c# since i know my way around it a lot better.

Thanks Janet and breed lover for reminding me about the polly count.  What i have done to solve that issue is to use blenders decimate which calculate locations of vertices and create a lower polly version  of the model and to keep the same look.  i have created two renders of the area fist one high polly second one low polly.  The decimate is not perfect so i do need to go around and fix up a few verts here and there, but I think it looks pretty good.

also that is the TP model of link, I am NOT using him in the game but just as a proportion reference, and he will be replace for the game.

first High polly

second low polly

I am currently working on fixing up thee decimated mesh and texturing.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 08:02:04 pm »
forgot to note that the low polygon has half the number of polygons as the high one.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:19:39 pm »
Hmm, those models still look too high in poly count.

How many polys do you have?
Game Designer and Artist

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 11:49:24 pm »
the high polygon is 3005, low poly 2039 not a large difference but eh its around where most modern games are, Just means more work and harder to rig, and it might run slow on older computers I'm gonna work to bring it down to around 1800 and use some light manipulation to raise the detail.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:13:13 am »
the high polygon is 3005, low poly 2039 not a large difference but eh its around where most modern games are, Just means more work and harder to rig, and it might run slowwill run slow or not at all on older computers I'm gonna work to bring it down to around 1800 and use some light manipulation to raise the detail.
I fixed it for you.

Really, if you want to make it at the level of current computer games you will make it very limited. I have a PC that is 1 year old, when I bought it, the tech was still reasonably new. A month ago I installed Street Fighter IV (a one year old game) for PC. When I ran it, I had to turn everything to the lowest setting and it still had serious drops in framerate.

But then again a game of the magnitude you are talking about takes a team of 100 developers (with specialized people) about a year or two to develop. By the time you will be done with it, the graphics of the game will be seriously outdated and run on any PC. I am having doubts about the feasibility of your project. But hey, by all means go for it. I wish you good luck.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 06:19:47 am »
last update of the night I have textured the floor of the forest area.  Not quit as hi-res is i wanted but details come later. I'm just trying to get a couples models right now that i can use to develop game play.

I already know this is a huge project, and its gonna take a while and be VERY hard.

by the way the was a post on here about a torque engine and C++ but now its gone and i didn't get a chance to read it fully. I do remember them saying something about my problem to think about choosing between c++ and C#. The reason i was checking out C++ is because i fond some script that i thought would allow me to use the wii remote.  Then I decided the project is already big enough with what I'm envisioning.

well heres the update it has the floor of the forest area textured. Next to work on the main character and rig his animation and put it into C# then one or tow monsters for a trial prob a deku baba

forest

still gotta finish the walls. 

well good night
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 08:11:30 am »
I recommend trying out Unity3D if you haven't already.
Game Designer and Artist

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 07:03:05 am »
Been a slow busy day today so I didn't get much done, But i did model and texture the Deku Baba.  It all fits together smoothly, but I'm not sue if it fits the TP style texture... Comments on the texture? The Deku Baba has 69 faces.

Janet, I've never heard of Unity, I'll have to take a look.
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 06:32:08 am »
Heres and update on the dekubaba I re-textured it, added a tongue, and rigged them both with armatures. In the bottom of the screen you can see the teeth that are not finished yet and are not yet attached to the bottom jaw armature. 

Heres the whole shot.

I'm trying to use different shades in the textures for the teeth to try to manipulate it to look like it has gums.  It looks better when its attached to the rest of it.

Close-up of teeth

Subterfuge

Hero of Effin' Time
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 04:25:47 am »
  • Hero of Effin' Time
ok heres the new forest pic, again tell me if you think the poly count is too high. Its 818.

Excellent poly count. Just hit the Set Smooth and go texture it.
That which binds us...

Sets us free...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 64 queries.

anything