Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Future.  (Read 10145 times)

The Future.
« on: July 27, 2008, 03:07:23 pm »
Just a few things I wish to bring up with the community, mainly about where we should go in the future, please leave whatever suggestions you see fit. Until now they have mainly been discussed in the staff forums, but as the community are the ones who are most likely to be affected by it I feel its probably a good idea to get some feedback on it.

1. Drop 'Zelda' from the title:
Lets be frank, few people here talk about it, and it just limits the community. My idea would be to go for something like FanGameCentral.com or similar, to allow more activity surrounding more successfull areas of the fan-game community (sonic, mario, .etc).

2. Website:
What exactly would you like to see in a website? I'm currently looking at writing a full website for this site, rather than just a crude portal. I've been throwing round ideas and mockups recently and I'm curious what the community itself thinks.

Heres an early mockup of the kind of site I'm going for;

(attached)

My idea would be to have a menu structure similar to this, with all the features that go with it;

Home
- News
- Statistics
- Contact Us
- Legal
- Advertise Here

Games
- Completed Games
- WIP Games
- Scrapped Games
- Ideas & Concepts

Resources
- Audio
- Graphics
- Tutorials
- Templates

Community
- Forum
- Chat
- Competitions
- Affiliates
- Staff

I'll add more items to this as I get round to writing up information on them.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:58:21 am by 4Sword »

Ryan

The only Canadian?
Re: The Future.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 03:09:48 pm »
Okay, the drop the Zelda part is a good idea.

So what I'm getting from this is you want ZFGC to become an indie game website?
Sounds like it can still fail but, it can also become a bigger success than Zelda.
I say we give it a shot.
  • Likes to Ramble
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 03:11:24 pm »
So what I'm getting from this is you want ZFGC to become an indie game website?
Sounds like it can still fail but, it can also become a bigger success than Zelda.
I say we give it a shot.
Not quite, just dropping the 'zelda' aspect of the name and focus on general fan games not just zelda.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 03:18:50 pm »
  • *whistle*
Keep the acronym, change the name. ZFGC has almost built up its own iconic following, and changing the name would be a folly of Gamers Advanced proportions (oh yes I went there).

If you feel it needs a seperate title, give it "The Fan Game Central", or something like that, based on the pun "Ze Fan Game Central", perhaps.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 03:43:29 pm »
  • b e p i s
I think ZFGC as a title should stay, even if its an acronym that doesn't actually mean anything. It sounds good and we're used to it.

Also, I think more than fangaming, the site should focus on creativity altogether: writing, music composition, and art in addition to game development. Not only does this allow for more opportunities for members to exchange ideas, but it will also attract a larger audience.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 04:01:05 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
Im gonna vote for Zombie's Fan Game Central, and that we get a Zombie mascot.

Actually I agree with everything Infini said except changing the acrynom. Changing Acrynoms never work. Im not saying keep it "zelda" but I dont think we should drop the Z.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 04:06:11 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
..."Ze Fan Game Central"

That's what I was thinking too.  x­D

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 04:27:37 pm »
  • OH LARD IZ PORKCHOP, BUST OUT DA HAPPY SNACKS
So basically,

is the plan sans the MASSIVE amount of admin secrecy right :D?

I C'Z U
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 04:35:07 pm »
In regards to the name, the name itself does not really have to be changed, it could just lose its long form; i.e. how IGN Entertainment and KFC are in today's world.  Even if we do not talk about Zelda that much, most of our fangames, tutorials, sprites, etc. are at least based around the game itself.  As for the mockup, for some reason it is not displaying for me, so I cannot see it.  I would say though that looking at other websites that are going to be in this year's NCFC would give a good idea of things to try though.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 04:42:34 pm »
Even if we do not talk about Zelda that much, most of our fangames, tutorials, sprites, etc. are at least based around the game itself.
I'm not saying get rid of that, more expand into other areas.

Lets be frank here, how many zelda fan games have been finished here over the last 4 years or so? About 3? Lets go and compare that to the amount of fan-games produced by other fan game sites; sfghq: About 90. mfgc: ~400. The simple fact is zelda games generally require a lot more work due to their extensive nature, which generally leads to them being scrapped part way through development. SO my aim is to open up to other games more. Keeping the Z in ZFGC, even if not used to mean zelda still holds this site back, as everyone knows of this site as zelda-releated, and even subliminally it biases your opinion. To really expand it has to be removed.

As for the mockup, for some reason it is not displaying for me, so I cannot see it. 
My bad, linked to an image in the admin board, will reupload in a sec, check first post.
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 04:51:29 pm »
I like the mockup a lot.  Everything about it seems good, from the layout to the concept I see no faults with it.

The other fan game sites do seem to have more regular users and some of them had sites for a long time.  Zelda does require a little more work, that is true, but it is not like that work has not been scratched into over time; things get easier as you go.  Currently, we have projects of all types here despite our name, it is not our blunt focus.  As long as www.zfgc.com redirects though, I would probably get over it, lol.  Expansion is great, if you want to go with what you said then that is fine.  It would be cool to keep an old school theme though that is based around Zelda; if you did that with the link redirect previously mentioned, people will not complain as much I think.

But really, that mockup is !@#$% awesome.
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 04:54:33 pm »
  • Evil's origin begins in TLOZ AO...
Zelda is a part of history, we can't just go change the name.
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 04:59:11 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Whoever made that title with the phoenix wings on either side deserves a handshake or something...  Give that guy a Klondike bar.  O:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 05:01:55 pm by Shefali »
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 05:00:39 pm »
  • *whistle*
Even if we do not talk about Zelda that much, most of our fangames, tutorials, sprites, etc. are at least based around the game itself.
I'm not saying get rid of that, more expand into other areas.

Lets be frank here, how many zelda fan games have been finished here over the last 4 years or so? About 3? Lets go and compare that to the amount of fan-games produced by other fan game sites; sfghq: About 90. mfgc: ~400. The simple fact is zelda games generally require a lot more work due to their extensive nature, which generally leads to them being scrapped part way through development. SO my aim is to open up to other games more. Keeping the Z in ZFGC, even if not used to mean zelda still holds this site back, as everyone knows of this site as zelda-releated, and even subliminally it biases your opinion. To really expand it has to be removed.

You change the name, it's not the same community. We go down the GA path again, and everything falls apart. The name is both one and the same as the community's identity. It's clear to the forum-goers that the focus is not Zelda games. Formally remove Zelda from the expanded acronym, and it's clear to newcomers as well, but the forum always has been ZFGC, even when most people don't think of Zelda as being part of that.
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 06:09:45 pm »
I think ZFGC as a title should stay, even if its an acronym that doesn't actually mean anything. It sounds good and we're used to it.

Also, I think more than fangaming, the site should focus on creativity altogether: writing, music composition, and art in addition to game development. Not only does this allow for more opportunities for members to exchange ideas, but it will also attract a larger audience.

I agree entirely here. ZFGC has built up a legacy. Whether it's a good or a bad one I don't entirely know, but changing the name would harm that. I don't feel that changing the focus/content of the site however would be that bad of a thing. It's mostly a heritage thing, our roots were/are Zelda, but there's so much more out there than Zelda, so why limit ourselves to *just* Zelda, why not focus on the entire scale of it, open up our creativity.

People always tried to get me to describe the site, it's all about being creative, it's taking a game or a concept we *love* and being creative with it. That's what it's about, it's also about learning how to develop games and using recognizable plots/ideas to get you there. Almost like a story starter. Remember those? The teacher would read like a paragraph to you, then you'd write a story based on that paragraph, everyone's would be drastically different based on their imagination of course.

Just my thoughts. :o

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 06:15:23 pm »
The mock up looks great, especially with the cheese adverts...

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 06:22:20 pm »
I don't know, I like the topic about mammo walking off a cliff.. :p

The design has just enough of a web 2.0 look that it's really hot looking.. the placement of the ads is nice too, non-traditional 'skyscraper' ones.. i hate the banners, it's all about making stuff look right though.

I have this urge for cheese o.o
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 07:30:53 pm »
I have this urge for cheese o.o

Proof of the power of that mock up.

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 07:36:36 pm »
  • Bitte Scheiße
I say we keep Zelda. Even if we dont do Zelda developement, its bad to change the whole name. Just remember GA.
Also, the site is looking awsome, as long as the final one will work with the Royale green theme.

~LynkW
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 07:37:35 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
In regards to the name, the name itself does not really have to be changed, it could just lose its long form; i.e. how IGN Entertainment and KFC are in today's world. 

This, seriously.

Keep the Z.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 76 queries.