Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What Changes Do You Want?  (Read 14989 times)

What Changes Do You Want?
« on: March 08, 2009, 04:29:09 pm »
Simple question really. There are a lot of members active here, but few posting. Presumably because you either don't like the way its run, or as some other people say "because your are scared we would ban you for posting anything off-topic".

Given that both I and 4Sword are now essentially the owners of this site, I think its a good time to ask what you want us to do with it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 04:17:58 am by 4Sword »

gm112

Re: What Changes Do You Want?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 04:51:24 pm »
For starters, the "3 strike" warning system.. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but let's just say you have a member who just had a bad day. He accidentally gravedug a topic, double posted by accident, and perhaps he posted a link to an "rrr" site. Wouldn't that count as that member getting banned as those three things are breaking the rules? Nobody really explained to me how the system actually works so this is just my theory to how it works >__>.

The forum setup sucks, IMO. A little while ago I posted a topic relating to programming. I honestly had to sit there and think where to post it because there is absolutely no "LAWL PROGRAMMING" board. You guys have a board for art and music, why not programming? It's not being so "generalized" when you guys have boards for art and music, by the way.

*sigh*... I'm probably going to get yelled at for saying this, but I don't really like the staff that much either. I don't want to point fingers out, either. I have no idea how this could be fixed >__>.. and honestly, I don't think there is a way you can fully satisfy the whole entire board so this is why I am not really going to say anything about it.

Any chance for reviving the community project or something similar? A few people came here posting some interesting projects(I could honestly name a few off the top of my head) recently.. I think it would help bring the whole "fan game" influence back to this forum as that's what it was originally intended for. People here tend to criticize every little thing about something, and the noobs are mainly the only people who are willing to post something here. God only knows why >_<. Of course, you have your small group that's willing to post something lol.

Reason why I don't really post here is because there's not really much to talk about without someone being an idiot. It's like "lol I like this", and someone posts "ur post is wr0ng becuz i said so and my opininz r f@ctz lawl". Not everyone will agree with you.. just that here, people seem to have some sort of mental disease to just do it without even thinking :X.

That's all I can think of right now.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 04:59:32 pm »
For starters, the "3 strike" warning system.. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but let's just say you have a member who just had a bad day. He accidentally gravedug a topic, double posted by accident, and perhaps he posted a link to an "rrr" site. Wouldn't that count as that member getting banned as those three things are breaking the rules? Nobody really explained to me how the system actually works so this is just my theory to how it works >__>.
Accidents won't get you banned. The warning system gives the oppertunity of the moderator using leniancy, I doubt anyone would raise your warning level for the sake of an accidently double post or something similar.

The forum setup sucks, IMO. A little while ago I posted a topic relating to programming. I honestly had to sit there and think where to post it because there is absolutely no "LAWL PROGRAMMING" board. You guys have a board for art and music, why not programming? It's not being so "generalized" when you guys have boards for art and music, by the way.
I agree. I don't like the current board setup. Suggestions for a new layout are welcome. I don't really like how the "community" and "development" stuff has become so split up, I don't think they are mutually exclusive :S.

Any chance for reviving the community project or something similar? A few people came here posting some interesting projects(I could honestly name a few off the top of my head) recently.. I think it would help bring the whole "fan game" influence back to this forum as that's what it was originally intended for. People here tend to criticize every little thing about something, and the noobs are mainly the only people who are willing to post something here. God only knows why >_<. Of course, you have your small group that's willing to post something lol.
I would certainly like to restart a community project in one form or another, certainly not how it was setup before though. The question is if people will help.

People here tend to criticize every little thing about something, and the noobs are mainly the only people who are willing to post something here.
I think its because most of the "veterans" have moved onto things other than fan games :P.

Reason why I don't really post here is because there's not really much to talk about without someone being an idiot. It's like "lol I like this", and someone posts "ur post is wr0ng becuz i said so and my opininz r f@ctz lawl". Not everyone will agree with you.. just that here, people seem to have some sort of mental disease to just do it without even thinking :X.
:S. Not much I can do about how other people choose to act.

*sigh*... I'm probably going to get yelled at for saying this, but I don't really like the staff that much either. I don't want to point fingers out, either. I have no idea how this could be fixed >__>.. and honestly, I don't think there is a way you can fully satisfy the whole entire board so this is why I am not really going to say anything about it.
If you have grievences with specific staff members contact me via PM with your problems.

gm112

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 05:08:26 pm »
Accidents won't get you banned. The warning system gives the oppertunity of the moderator using leniancy, I doubt anyone would raise your warning level for the sake of an accidently double post or something similar.
Oh, alright then.. that clears things up for me.

I agree. I don't like the current board setup. Suggestions for a new layout are welcome. I don't really like how the "community" and "development" stuff has become so split up, I don't think they are mutually exclusive :S.
Guess I'll have to start thinking :S.

I would certainly like to restart a community project in one form or another, certainly not how it was setup before though. The question is if people will help.

Count me in as I'd like something to help me learn a bit more about programming.

People here tend to criticize every little thing about something, and the noobs are mainly the only people who are willing to post something here.
I think its because most of the "veterans" have moved onto things other than fan games :P.
XD Ahaha.. nice way to put it.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 05:19:06 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Count me in as I'd like something to help me learn a bit more about programming.

You can include me in there as well =)

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 05:40:18 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.
Any chance for reviving the community project or something similar?

I have to agree. In fact, having all sorts of various community projects would be a good thing.

*jumps back into the shadows*
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 05:41:19 pm »
*jumps back into the shadows*
*pulls you out of the shadows*

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 05:42:25 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Hey, I also agree with the thought of having a "LAWL PROGRAMMING" board (obviously maybe...not called LAWL PROGRAMMING). I'm in Software Engineering, and it would be interesting seeing how other people code and whatnot, and maybe also get pointers :).

I personally don't post as much as I used to because, as Basniak said, people tend to ruin topics by turning them into huge arguments. I don't really enjoy that. However, Infini, that's nothing you and the staff can really control, as you stated. People choose to act the way they do.

So that being said, the only thing I can really think of is being a Programming board or something. Maybe a sub of Tech Talk? :)
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 05:44:16 pm »
There should totally be a "programming board".
Some people post programming topics at Tech Talk and others at Resources/Discussion, but IMO that should be separate from those two boards.

I've asked for "Multiple Community Projects" before, but we ended up remaining with only one project. I've already said many times that we should have public projects with many people working on, so that each one could help a little bit.

Also one more thing... could you create a "language" option on "Forum Profile Information"? (the same way we have a "location" option) We would remain speaking English on topics, of course, but it would be nice if we could see if some members don't speak English as their first language by looking at their profiles, for instance.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 05:47:05 pm »
I'll take some time to think of a new layout. But for the community project, I believe it's best if we keep to something we know we can do and not something beyond our motivation. Take my project for example. "Link's Awakening Remastered" was a title I knew I could get far in. Now if I had been by myself when Xfixium told me I did the math wrong in the conversions, I might have given up. I started that mapping topic on the 15th of February and it has over 20 pages now. Quite a few members are helping with the maps and I define that as community. So in a way, my project has transformed into a community project. Not only are the people in the mapping topic helping, but I also have others behind the scenes who are lending me their skills with sound, music, and programming.

The thing is, you don't have to start by putting your heads together. That leads to arguing, most likely. And stress at the idea of having to program something beyond your ability. I think a good community project is one that is started by one person who has an idea for some aspect of the game, then others come in and state their opinions and what they can do to help. Niek just jumped in when I began mapping, and now look where it's gotten us.

Again, I will look at the layout and figure something out. I want to help the forum as much as everyone else does.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 06:01:12 pm »
Suggested Forum Layout
ZFGC.com
Announcements - This forum's fine, no issues.
Feedback - This forum's fine, no issues.
Contests - This forum's fine, no issues.
Projects - This forum should have subforums for each community project in progress, as well as an organized archive for the scrapped ones. This eliminates the need for a discussion forum. Name should be changed to Community Projects.

Projects
Completed - This forum's fine, no issues.
Zelda WIP - This forum's fine, no issues.
Other WIP - This forum's fine, no issues.
Concepts - This forum's fine, no issues.
Scrapped - This forum's fine, no issues.
Development Dscussion - This forum is added for people who need programming assistance. (It's not a resource exactly so it desn't belong in Resources board)

Resources
Templates & Tutorials - This forum's fine, no issues. (Aside from not being used much)
Audio - This forum's fine, no issues.
Graphics - This forum's fine, no issues.
Discussion - Rename to Resource Discussion as not to confuse anyone.
Recruitment - This forum's fine, no issues.

Community - Renamed board because it's more of a community board then general discussion
Community Speak - This forum seems fine for now, no issues.
Gaming & Entertainment - This forum's fine, no issues.
Tech Talk - This forum should be for hardware, mostly.
Programming - This forum is added for those who want to discuss ther ways of programming but don't have a project or resource.
Topic Archive - This forum's fine, no issues.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 06:17:34 pm »
Community Project:

In specific regard to a community project, what I have been advocating is an open source, standardized Game Maker engine done with Minish Cap graphics. Actually this is only the half of it but it is the most important half all the same. There would also be another community project based on turning that engine into a game. The purpose of keeping them separate is that if the game fails, the engine can at least persist and it would be a useful tool for those wanting to create their own project.

And yes, I know that there will be some groaning that I am suggesting Game Maker, but I am thinking on a practical level. The ZFGCSDK was something that was taken on in an "advanced" language and that has had less than a perfect result. Programming in an advanced language is fine but it limits the amount of programmers here who can contribute, and using a community project as a teaching tool slows the project down. At least with Game Maker, we have a vast knowledge of how to do things already and more people could contribute.

Forum Layout:

Code: [Select]
ZFGC.com
- Announcements
- Site News
- Contests
- Projects
- Feedback

Projects
- Completed
- Zelda WIP
- Other WIP
- Concepts
- Scrapped

Resources
- Coding
- Graphics
- Audio
- Discussion
- Recruitment

Community
- General Discussion
- Gaming & Entertainment
- Tech Talk
- Topic Archive

User Ranks:

Code: [Select]
0 - Fairy
50 - Picori
100 - Deku
250 - Kokiri
500 - Goron
750 - Zora
1000 - Gerudo
1500 - Hylian
2000 - Twili
2500 - Oocca
3000 - Royal
3500 - Hero
4000 - Sage
5000 - Giant
6000 - Spirit
7000 - Deity
Also the images for them would be redone in Minish Cap style.

Staff Ranks:

Would also be done in Minish Cap style (these are done), however I have floated the idea of removing the color of staff members from the Who's Online list (the badge would still indicate that they are staff though).

gm112

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 06:34:49 pm »
Hmm.. here's my take.

|-ZFGC.com
    +Announcements
    +Contests
    +Archive
        -Scrapped projects

|-Projects
  +Completed
  +Work In Progress
     -Zelda WIP
     -Misc. WIP

+Ideas/Concepts
  +Community Project
     -Ideas
     -Art
     -Sounds/Music
     -Programming

+Resources
     -Tutorials / Examples
     -Audio
     -Graphics

+Discussion
      -Recruitment

|-General Discussion
     +Community Speak
     +Entertainment
         -Gaming
         -TV Shows / Movies
         -Music

+Tech Talk
      -Computer Builds
      -Malware discussion

Heavy use of sub forums lol. I don't think everybody would like that, though.

Community Project:

In specific regard to a community project, what I have been advocating is an open source, standardized Game Maker engine done with Minish Cap graphics. Actually this is only the half of it but it is the most important half all the same. There would also be another community project based on turning that engine into a game. The purpose of keeping them separate is that if the game fails, the engine can at least persist and it would be a useful tool for those wanting to create their own project.

The use of GameMaker would be a good idea since its most used on this forums, but there are others who think otherwise. I think the only way to solve this is to have a poll. The problem with ZFGCSDK to my knowledge was that nobody did anything, which is why it failed. The only reason why I agree with you with the use of Minish Cap graphics is because ZFGC's custom art project failed and I don't think there's enough spriters that hang around here still who would be willing to start that project back up. Hmm......
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 07:25:30 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I'm in Software Engineering, and it would be interesting seeing how other people code and whatnot, and maybe also get pointers

Just curious but...was that a pun? xD

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 07:30:05 pm »
@4Sword:

That idea for the community projects is very good. Though I think there could be more than two projects, and also not only Zelda community projects, but also Indie ones.

Also, the forum layout you suggested is the best so far, IMO.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 10:25:40 pm »
  • I almost has over 9000 everything!
My suggestion is not directed at the forum, but rather the main site. If you ask me, you should eliminate all that DICKBUTT stuff on the main page. While DICKBUTT is good, the usage of it on the main page feels more of an annoyance and offers nothing more than it would without it.

There's also some more internal stuff I'd like to see (table-less design), but that's not important.

• Puyo Nexus
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 11:00:04 pm »
My suggestion is not directed at the forum, but rather the main site. If you ask me, you should eliminate all that DICKBUTT stuff on the main page. While DICKBUTT is good, the usage of it on the main page feels more of an annoyance and offers nothing more than it would without it.

There's also some more internal stuff I'd like to see (table-less design), but that's not important.
Indeed. We've already had discussion about this in the admin boards. However I don't have time to deal with that at the moment, and its not a priority.

gm112

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 12:04:15 am »

Indeed. We've already had discussion about this in the admin boards. However I don't have time to deal with that at the moment, and its not a priority.
Couldn't you have some sort of web design competition or something >_<?
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 12:04:53 am »

Couldn't you have some sort of web design competition or something >_<?
And give users access to the sites source code? Nope.
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 12:46:25 am »
  • I almost has over 9000 everything!
If by sites source code you mean the HTML and Javascript people could get that anyway. If you mean the PHP then that's not really necessary. It's possible to have them design a layout and have them include place holder/garbage content.

• Puyo Nexus
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 76 queries.