Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What Changes Do You Want?  (Read 15061 times)

Re: What Changes Do You Want?
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 12:52:57 am »
If by sites source code you mean the HTML and Javascript people could get that anyway.
Obviously. However I was refering to the PHP source code, its to much of a security risk to allow it to be publically accessible.

It's possible to have them design a layout and have them include place holder/garbage content.
Which would then require me to write all the programming backend, the design is the simple part :S. Again it comes back to the fact I don't have the time to do that at the moment, so unless someone with good php skills comes along and is willing to put in a lot of time, then the site is going to stay as it is for the moment.

gm112

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 08:20:15 am »
After thinking about it, I think that restarting the community project the way it was is a bad idea. Allow me to explain. THink about it, seeing as how ZFGCSDK failed, the community project failed, I don't think a third attempt will make it. The problem is, there's some vital thing missing. I remember when I first joined ZFGC back in May of 2005. The thing that attracted me here was its abundant resources of everything I could possibly think of in terms of Zelda. First thing I thought was "Cool! I can make my own Zelda game!". Well, without that list of resources.. how can something like that happen again? I'm not saying people should do this, but I think this is an idea. How about make a community project to re-compile a database of resources? ZFGC now doesn't have it, but back in the day it did. It's like taking a huge step backwards. Dunno.. I'd like to hear what other people think of my idea.
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 05:43:24 pm »
Layout:

Code: [Select]
ZFGC.com
- Announcements
- News/Updates
- Feedback
- Contests
- Archive

Projects
- Community
- Completed
- Zelda WIP
- Other WIP
- Concepts

Resources
- Recruitment
- Graphics
- Design
- Coding
- Audio

General Discussion
- Community Speak
- Entertainment
- Tech Talk

I thought over the layout a bit more and this seemed to even make a little more sense. The News/Updates board would be the renamed currently hidden News board and it would be used for site news items as well as small updates to the forum which are not full-fledged announcements. The Projects board would be renamed Community and then moved to the Projects category. The Scrapped board would be moved from Projects to be a child of the Topic Archive (which would be renamed to just Archive).

In addition the Archive board will be moved from the General Discussion to the ZFGC.com category. Why? This keeps the Scrapped projects in the vicinity of the Projects category and there are some events that have been held in the Contests board which get moved to the Archive upon their completion.

In the Resources category, Templates & Tutorials will likely be put as a child of Coding. The reason that a programming board will be called Coding is that it helps fit things such as web development. The Discussion board would be renamed Design as the only thing it would really handle now that there is a coding board would be topics pertaining to how to do something, how to do it, et al in regard to game design.

Community Project:

This is why my idea about having it as a two-part system makes sense, is practical, and will work. By having an open-source, standardized Game Maker engine people who want to create their own project would have a base on which to start. This base, mind you, would be made and refined from the vast wealth of knowledge that has existed here over the course of years. Adding to this engine would also be easy to do. For example, if I programmed my own Minish Cap enemy, I could submit it to the project and if it was good enough it could be standardized so that the code structure was the same as what was in the engine already.

This makes it significantly easier to help the Community Project. It also takes away a lot of the plot/level design aspects out of the main bulk of the work. Furthermore, there could be contests held to add to the engine which not only would aid the engine's development, but would give back to the community an active contest focused towards development.

As for a list of resources, that is why I had an opening in the site staff for someone willing to rip graphics and maintain a list in the Graphics board of those rips. This also helps my version of the community project in that those working on it would have images to work with. Windy's graphics ripping tool allows one to have high quality rips which I feel if done right can be more useful to developers.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 06:24:55 pm »
On the graphics...what format did you want them in? Do you want them all as sprites or files in Game Maker? Or all in an organized folder? Do you want a topic for the sprite archive?
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 07:04:48 pm »
It is going to be in a format that is useful to developers; mostly optimized, animated GIF files with a spritesheet accompanying them if the ripper feels like it. The sprites would only be put in a Game Maker file if there was some object made in Game Maker that utilized them. As for getting the sprites, it is not the same as going to graphics sites and copying their resources or going to a lot of graphics sites and gathering a group of resources. The sprite list that will go in the Graphics section would be links to quality rips that are hosted on the site.
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 07:37:26 pm »
By quality rips you mean we should rip graphics again? I know Xfixium ripped some quality stuff like tilesets and other sprites which are all complete. We could reorganize them and put them into the Graphics section I guess.

Jeod

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 07:40:58 pm »
I can submit my collected sprites and data over the last three years after I reorganize them and make sure everything is properly named and ripped. I suppose it would be useful to know which file format everything should be in. GIF of course for animations, but is GIF better than PNG when it comes to static sprites and tiles?
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 07:48:53 pm »
By quality rips you mean we should rip graphics again? I know Xfixium ripped some quality stuff like tilesets and other sprites which are all complete. We could reorganize them and put them into the Graphics section I guess.

Certain images Xfixium ripped had a key flaw. This being that some of the tiles are not layered as they are in the game - e.g. the outside of a house being layered as roof and then building.

I guess I overlooked tiles a bit though, I was mostly referring to sprites found in the game for things such as Moblins, Darknuts, Octoroks, Tektites, NPCs, Link, etc. A lot of people who try to make a game cannot get these to animate correctly and I felt that if the animations were correct and even pre-assembled, that this wouldn't be so much of a concern.

I can submit my collected sprites and data over the last three years after I reorganize them and make sure everything is properly named and ripped. I suppose it would be useful to know which file format everything should be in. GIF of course for animations, but is GIF better than PNG when it comes to static sprites and tiles?

If all you did was collect them from other places, as I said, that's not what this is the same as. If I could find the same sheet on the Spriter's Resource, I would rather just go to the Spriter's Resource. If you have animations that you think are as correct as they god well can be, you put them all into a ZIP file and then upload them to the site that this forum has. If it is fine it will be added to a list that will be in the Graphics section.

If it is just a static image, then the best is probably PNG format. The only thing that will be linked to on the resource list topic in the Graphics board will be that which is animated or optimized, non-repetitive tilesheets that have that layering concept like I mentioned above (unless they were from an older game that didn't have layering - the list though from the outset will focus on Minish Cap)

Jeod

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 09:31:12 pm »
A lot of the sheets I have are from here, too. And a lot of them aren't here anymore, and nobody still has them. (Old OoT2D stuff for example) I'm not just going to give the sheets, that would be useless since most can be found on TSR or some ther place. I'm going to rip from them and animate as best as I can.

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 10:30:28 pm »
I know I'm just a newbie around here, but I have some remarks, although I might say stupid things.

1) I agree on a special board pertaining programming.

2) I really like the Community Project idea and I don't know what this ZFGCSDK is. The current one in the forum in the forum I think it was something called 'King of Thieves' or something, I really liked the concept of the bits I read. I don't know if this project is still running or it is dead, but what I do know is that there are way to many topics with way to many replies for a newbie to jump in. This brings me to the biggest problems of Community Projects. The information is scattered and mostly unaccessible. You need something like a Wiki page. Something where a newbie who would like to learn and contribute could quickly get up to date on the latest development in the project. This wiki can contain a GDD, a TODO list, links to the topics in the forums that are currently discussing the parts. Maybe a kind of resource management system for that project. Although making one or two topics sticky because they contain info about the project, it still is not the best to do, because you often loose sight of what is in the project and what isn't due to the many replies. But the disadvantage is that this most likely requires more than just a new layout or forum update.
The second problem with community projects is that there is always someone (or a few) needed who is willing to take the lead and probably the most dedication to the project. If there is no sailor at the helm of a ship, the ship will strand and get nowhere. The same goes for projects. This person will also be the one that makes the final decisions and prevent endless discussions.

3) A ZFGC engine in Gamemaker sounds a nice idea, because it seems to be the most used and people would be able to quickly make their own stories. It seems to tie in with this ZFGCSDK, which I have no knowledge about. I don't know if it is the best to stick with just Game Maker, because some people might want to learn somethings else as well. The same goes for the MC graphics as ZFGC style. I know the website has a resources section, but to me it seems a bit unorganized and cluttered. If ZFGC had tile and spritesets for FS/MC, ALttP and the GB(C) games, people could work together more easier and won't have as much color issues and people could include their custom made graphics in those styles as well. You could also make a section for textures and 3D models and custom made styles. This is an advice, but putting everything in one topic and then end up with a topic with over 20 pages. This is not apealling to go through.

This are my 10 cents of thoughts. I am a newbie and may have said something stupid. My apologies for that.

Jeod

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 01:55:03 am »
I made a topic in the projects board for community project discussion. That leaves more room in this topic for forum layouts and other site things. Basically the majority of this topic was discussion about the community project and I thought it would be a good idea to make a new topic for it so this one didn't get sidetracked.

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2009, 02:17:49 am »
I made a topic in the projects board for community project discussion. That leaves more room in this topic for forum layouts and other site things. Basically the majority of this topic was discussion about the community project and I thought it would be a good idea to make a new topic for it so this one didn't get sidetracked.
hmm, the talk about the community project should be kept here, since it needs to be argued if it will get deleted(affecting the forum layout), or if it will get revived, and this thread is about anything that should be changed not only layout wise or community project related.

Well I find it hard to trust the staff >_>, I haven't seen many mods active lately except for 4swords but he is a mod. Hmm I would also like more contest related to gamemaking, as In form teams of 4 and you have to create a game that only use the mouse, or similar activities to get more completed games :P.  hmm Imo we should move from zelda fan games and more into indie, I know this has already been asked months ago, but I just don't see to much of zelda in this forum, now a days this forum is all about people talking about their life or their indie related projects.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 02:22:41 am by Kren »

Jeod

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2009, 02:29:39 am »
Well from the suggested forum layouts we've seen here, I don't think it will be moved any time soon.

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2009, 02:31:46 am »
The current community project that you are referring to is likely going to be ended or demoted to a team project; it's activity and forum interest aren't that beneficial to the forum. But yeah, if you want to discuss the community project in the other topic, it is fine. Discussion might get some people interested and this topic might be cluttered for such a big idea.
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2009, 05:50:31 pm »
  • I almost has over 9000 everything!
Imo we should move from zelda fan games and more into indie, I know this has already been asked months ago, but I just don't see to much of zelda in this forum, now a days this forum is all about people talking about their life or their indie related projects.
That already happened before, in the form of Gamers Advanced. It didn't work out back then. I don't think it should change.

• Puyo Nexus
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 11:24:36 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
Needs moar Porkchop and Swoftu IMO
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2009, 07:33:33 pm »
  • Xiphirx
Needs moar Porkchop and Swoftu IMO

What happened to leaving?

On-topic:

Whatever happened to those themes? I am getting sick of midnight and the kokiri (no offense). I can develop themes if you guys need someone.
  • For The Swarm

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2009, 07:54:33 pm »
  • b e p i s
1. Greater support for the community project, including front page articles, incentive for members, and interviews with the team. Focus not only on the literal but also their philosophy of game design and more abstract subjects to elevate development above merely "making an engine" or "spriting some stuff."

2. Doing the same for individual projects.

3. An overall change in staff attitude to be more relaxed and not let people get to them so easily. Half of the problems we have on the forum are because of people overreacting, both on staff and member sides.

4. Greater chatroom involvement. Everyone always says #zfgc and ZFGC are two different universes (and they are); however, I think we need to encourage chatroom members to be less insular so that our forum base can better integrate with them. This ties in heavily with number three: people need to chill out.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2009, 08:34:10 pm »
In regard to more news articles:
1) there are periods of time when there is not much happening in development to talk about
2) it is not something that I can do myself as I do enough with the news as it is
3) users have not commented and used the news that often as it is

Getting the Project of the Month together was difficult as it is because I had to set it up the concept and do all the work for the last two news items for it. Arguably, I had put up the first one trying to get as much help from the site staff as possible, but the second one made not as much. But really putting all of that and putting the ZFGC Weekly together each week was a lot considering that I had also been working on moderation and then administrative tasks.

I have seen many ideas over what to do with news items (even yesterday), but it comes down to not what is wanted, but who will do what.

Jeod

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2009, 02:36:45 am »
So...what's the summary of changes so far? What's going to happen?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 76 queries.

anything