Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NCFC 2010 - Uh-Oh Spaghetti-O's  (Read 12796 times)

Re: NCFC 2010 - Uh-Oh Spaghetti-O's
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 03:03:40 am »
Someone should tell the earthbound guy that technically earthbound 3 already exists

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 04:25:49 am »
Why does Project AM2R have to be a Game Maker game? I would love to play it on things besides PCs, but alas, it is locked down!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 09:48:25 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Why does Project AM2R have to be a Game Maker game? I would love to play it on things besides PCs, but alas, it is locked down!

D: svideo or something

Better question is "Why does Project AM2R have to say there will be a new demo on the 25th when I see no demo D:

Dunt wanna sleep before playin!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 09:10:57 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Bit disappointed with AM2R's demo...

It's more of the same :\ I was hoping to fight some Metroids. Instead it's just different maps, reused bosses from the last demo, and Crocomire...

I am disappoint.
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 05:12:17 am »
I kind of wish I would have had something to show off at the NCFC event but I tend to be burdened with college every week; or when I am not busy, I use that downtime to rest. Well there is this Game Developer's Association on campus but at a meeting I went to for that they thought that downloading and manipulating a three-dimensional Unity landscape and having something like it so the player can shoot paintballs constituted a serious attempt at game making. There was no point to the game mechanics and there was no attempt to understand the structure of what they were doing.

Also though the other stuff at the NCFC beyond Zelda looks alright too, I might have to try out some of that stuff.
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 03:56:34 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Bit disappointed with AM2R's demo...

It's more of the same :\ I was hoping to fight some Metroids. Instead it's just different maps, reused bosses from the last demo, and Crocomire...

I am disappoint.

I hadn't played the previous demos for AM2R, but I was blown away!  It was extremely smooth and for a demo, it really sucked me in.  I haven't seen many projects made with GM that are that good.  Felt just like Metroid to me and the fact that he is remaking Metroid 2 is also another plus.  I thought it was awesome!  But I can't say anything about him having new content this year because I never saw the old content.  I ended up finishing with 22/25 items, and I was trying get everything.  He did a good job for the difficulty level, although the boss in the long tunal takes way too long to beat.  Overall I was very impressed!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 05:21:33 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Moderately confused by the final results considering projects with a far lower score beat out the ones with the higher scores.

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 05:39:24 am »
I hadn't played the previous demos for AM2R, but I was blown away!  It was extremely smooth and for a demo, it really sucked me in.  I haven't seen many projects made with GM that are that good.  Felt just like Metroid to me and the fact that he is remaking Metroid 2 is also another plus.  I thought it was awesome!  But I can't say anything about him having new content this year because I never saw the old content.  I ended up finishing with 22/25 items, and I was trying get everything.  He did a good job for the difficulty level, although the boss in the long tunal takes way too long to beat.  Overall I was very impressed!

Yeah, it was the first time I played it too. Very nicely done. Felt solid. The only thing I didn't like was the jumping. Felt like it should have more hang time. Jumping on small platforms was a lil frustrating. Other than that, it was freakin' awesome.

Moderately confused by the final results considering projects with a far lower score beat out the ones with the higher scores.

Yeah I noticed that too. Very weird. Shouldn't have a star average amount if it isn't going to be used.
  • Pyxosoft

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 05:45:44 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I know... It's already averaged up.

It's not too big of a deal, but honestly it kinda pisses me off a bit :P It means all of the best in show games were simply picked by staff and not based on votes.

EDIT: http://nintendocfc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=309

Made a thread about it. Not so much bothered by the fact that my project didn't win even though statistically speaking it was higher rated as I am bothered by the fact that I spent a few days constantly refreshing to see how it's doing when it didn't even matter :P
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 05:50:16 am by Mamoruアニメ »
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 06:20:12 am »
Yeah that vote totals at the end are really messed up; uh-oh spaghetti-o's indeed.  I voted for the Metroid project, I liked it showing off what Game Maker could do.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2010, 06:28:28 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
http://nintendocfc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=309

Or to quote it:

You said it best, they're pointless. They're really there just for show- right now anyway.

They were sort of added last year last minute just because we could add them, and this year we were very focused on getting a mostly-automated working site that we didn't really consider doing anything with the ratings.

You're not the first to ask this though, and what to do with the ratings will definitely be an issue that will be raised for next year's event. There are a few things to work out with them as they work now, but once that's sorted out they will likely have some degree of influence over the best of show decisions. Personally, I'd like them to be used for best of show but some of the other staff might disagree with me and it's something we'd need to discuss in full as it isn't an issue that we've brought up because none of us really considered much of anything regarding the ratings.

<_< not joining next year. Waste of my time.
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2010, 06:31:46 am »
Is it that difficult to add a "Best by voters"  category?

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2010, 06:32:28 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Is it that difficult to add a "Best by voters"  category?

I assume so.

I figured "Best in Show" meant best received.

They should have Best in Show, and then Staff Pick.
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2010, 06:43:42 am »
Having the rating system without explanation gives off the automatic assumption that the projects' placements are going to be based on it; or in other words, having a rating system takes the assumption away from it being determined another way. The rating system seemed the most unbiased especially considering it wasn't like the Metroid forum-goers had the largest majority of entered projects (a lot of the votes for the project probably were from people who aren't from a Metroid community).
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2010, 08:41:11 am »
Sorry mammo, but he has a good point

because they're rigged as !@#$%.

We wouldn't want something like LoZ: Oracle of Secrets to win just because it has good ratings, now would we?
It got bad reviews on the radio, in the irc and just in general for not having enough content but somehow it's rating is massive. It's very obviously rigged.

We want to make the event as fair as possible. Just because some specific booths take advantage of the fact that rating doesn't require registration, doesn't mean we should completely ignore their content and make them the best of show.

Although i haven't tried the demo yet, this reminds me of the whole Pokemon game POTM fiasco

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2010, 08:47:13 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

We wouldn't want something like LoZ: Oracle of Secrets to win just because it has good ratings, now would we?
It got bad reviews on the radio, in the irc and just in general for not having enough content but somehow it's rating is massive. It's very obviously rigged.

We want to make the event as fair as possible. Just because some specific booths take advantage of the fact that rating doesn't require registration, doesn't mean we should completely ignore their content and make them the best of show.

Although i haven't tried the demo yet, this reminds me of the whole Pokemon game POTM fiasco

It's only "rigged" because the projects that have had more exposure get more votes. That's about it <_<...
People who vote multiple times only influence the star rating by a fraction, since there are way more legitimate voters than illegitimate ones. One low vote can drastically change the average.
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2010, 10:25:23 am »

Oh yes I agree and understand. But than don't add the voting at all. If voting is added use it and have something to filter out the rigged votes, like with the Pokemon PotM. Or don't use it. But at least make it well known what the judgement criteria are.  With the Pokemon PotM we viewed everyone that voted and still let the votes count. With the NCFC you can guess that ratings are rigged, thus don't add them at all. It is not like YouTube where there are millions of voters to counter balance the rigged votes.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2010, 10:33:57 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Again the difference is that you're dealing with averages of votes, not volume of votes. Someone voting 5 times isn't going to affect the score enough when there's 50+ votes. They've had this system for a year now :P I just don't get why they don't understand that just because a project has 200+ votes doesn't mean it's rigged. It means it's a popular game.
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2010, 10:35:11 am »
The ZFGC Project of the Month is also based on user's voting for a project that has been on the forum for at least a month, whereas the NCFC event involves people being mostly secretive about their project or just showing their project off on the forum they are from and then having the project showed at the NCFC event for about a week. There isn't that much appeal in joining a forum that is only going to be active for a week.

Them doing it that way though ensured that the booth creators would be registered members though so maybe from their mindset they assumed this would mean that the way they figured the winners would be more determined by those who entered projects. But it is still kind of off in that I don't think all the staffers over there entered projects and the majority of those who voted would have only done so after being directed there from a fan game community; which is to say that those voting are either fan game enthusiasts or project creators themselves. More so, the projects that had obvious flaws were scored more poorly and as previously stated good projects of any Nintendo series must have had votes from people who belonged to other communities. 

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2010, 11:49:04 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Lol definitely not joining next year now... Man if I could I would avoid even endorsing NCFC at this point. At least Kesha's cool though :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 76 queries.

anything