Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: la vs alttp vs mc  (Read 2539 times)

la vs alttp vs mc
« on: February 20, 2012, 12:35:31 am »
  • A little Alive
Just wondering I'm seeing alot of fan games either in la/oos/ooa style or mc style... Seems like alttp style is really not used any more. which one would you chose and why?

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
Re: la vs alttp vs mc
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:46:39 am »
  • .越//
Just wondering I'm seeing alot of fan games either in la/oos/ooa style or mc style... Seems like alttp style is really not used any more. which one would you chose and why?

FSA style is very much lttp, just enhanced ^^
and lttp style is good if you want to make a lttp heck like parallel worlds or goddess of wisdom

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:53:55 am »
LttP vs MC?

Two words:
eye-candy

MC has more colors/details going on in the games than LttP games do.  Maybe people feel limited by the palette or they feel restricted to keep it in the guidelines of LttP.

I am actually surprised that there are no real 2.5d style fan games since the DS games were released.  I thought someone would have really tried to go that style.  One or two games may have popped up but they haven't been updated in a long time.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

thestig

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:59:46 am »
"
I think since we're talking "fan-games", this comes down to a personal taste rather than there being any specifics. Every style has their ups and downs, but the deciding factor I think just comes from whoever's taste.

LttP is the most easily accessible in my opinion. And as a result, most "custom" resources were made for ALTTP. Lately I've been seeing the same trend apply to MC, which is nice considering I like MC's style.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:29:49 pm »
  • It's just Max.
I think the thing about MC is that it lends itself to more things, just based on the variety of the source material. ALTTP is really homogenized, I love the game, but most of the areas use either exactly the same or really similar tiles. But look at MC- does the town use the same tiles as the field? They aren't even the same palette. The forest has completely different tiles from the field.

I think the graveyard is a good example.

Graveyard in ALTTP        Graveyard in MC
Differences from overworld:         It has tombstones          Everything

Like my little chart?
MC just has a lot more different things to add variety in your game, or to edit into completely new things, whereas in ALTTP if you just used tiles from the game, you could only have certain things, and if you wanted completely new things, you had to start from scratch.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 09:35:38 pm »
I suppose I prefer the Gameboy style for a few reasons. Because it's so simple, I can focus more on a good plot and customized items. It all comes down to developer's taste. The MC graveyard has a lot of potential, but unfortunately most of the plot device it could have had is ignored in favor of eye candy. That was my one gripe about the Royal Crypt. It was way too short for its potential.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 09:51:52 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
FS(GBA) is an extension of MC, because the sprites are very similar. And both have to do with the Four Sword. And both are the most recent sprite style of the zeries.

ALttP is nostalgic, yes, but there are indeed obvious problems with it. Take the colors, for instance. It's all very washed-down in terms of colors, not like thevibrant and bright MC sprites.

The Oracle games (and LA) are okay, but their lower resolutions make fangames on them... well, different. The trick with a good fangame is that the sprites must conform to the quality of the lowest-quality sprite in the game. LA/OoS/OoA kept the resolution and the colors to a good minimum on the sprites, and Link's oh-so-hilariously-reusable poses only accentuate how simplistic the style is.

I vote MC, because it's apparently "in".
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 05:43:33 pm »
  • A little Alive
Thanks for all your opinions. really cleared out a lot. Personly I really like alttp tiles and sprites. it isnt as hard to create sprites and tiles as mc but if I see whats some great spriters made in alttp style. just amazing.. And yes there have been made alot of awesome sprites and tile mc style for example shadowgazer! My point is. personly i'm into alttp because it is so basic
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 53 queries.

anything