Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

How would you guys like updates?

Less tested releases as new features are added
More tested releases with groups of features/sections of map completed
Wait until you finish the whole project
Future trippin man, I don't do that!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [NEW DEMO 10/30] Legend of Zelda:Unamed Quest  (Read 15596 times)

OniShounen

Nanomachines
[NEW DEMO 10/30] Legend of Zelda:Unamed Quest
« on: March 18, 2011, 06:31:18 pm »
  • David Hayter
Finally, the demo is here!

A few tips:
Your shield works! (The boss throws spears. Your puny shield cannot block them!)
WASD and Arrow keys move. K and L are your items, as are control and alt.
Enter is pause, and escape is quit.
There is no saving. [Perma-death, a bug is a feature right?]

There's a cave!

It's a dungeon!

Can I really use all those things?

Click here to view on the wiki.

Hey, I can't upload my demo to the website, forum, or wiki. (It's 2.22mb)

So... here's a mediafire link:
Demo 10/30/14

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:32:51 am by OniShounen »
Re: Legend of Zelda:Unamed Quest
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 10:12:58 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Welcome to ZFGC!  I hope you will find the feedback you'll receive to be beneficial. Here are some crits and praises.  Understand that the criticisms are only meant to help you, and not to put you down.  I understand that this is early development, so some of the things I will say you probably already have thought of, but I will say them none the less.

Praise:
- While this is obviously early development it looks quite nice.  Very close to the original.
- Simple and effective.  I like revisits to the retro games.
- Health system seems to work nicely!

Crits:
- Personal preference says that the ability for diagonal movement is a must!  If however you do not wish to implement this then I would at least suggest making the   
     character move in the direction of the key that was last pressed regardless of the other keys currently being pressed.  Just a suggestion.
- The enemies need to have a little splat animation when they die.
- The flashing sword animation when you shoot your sword should be more obvious.  I can hardly tell if it flashes or not.
- I think there was something else, but I can't remember.  I will update this later if I find it.

Keep it up!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 10:40:57 pm »
Things you need to work on(Don't let this think I am being rude, just trying to tell you what to refine):
~Movement is very stiff
~Scrolling...you have none
~Completely test what you have to the best of your abilities.  It crashed 2 minutes into the tech demo with this error:
Code: [Select]
ERROR in
action number 1
of Collision Event with object obj_sword
for object obj_heart:

Error in code at line 5:
           if(self.hearts<self.max_hearts)
                   ^
at position 18: Unknown variable hearts
~work on your code.  I can see from the error that you need to work quite a bit on your code.  If that line of code is in your Link object, you do not need to use self.  you could rewrite the line as: if hearts < max_hearts  Then again, I am inferring based on what the error says about your code.
~Fix the sword.  Add the slashing animation to Link and get rid of the rapid fire of the sword.
~Work on getting hit.  I had this problem as well initially with Myth of Heroa.  I don't even see enemies that are hitting Link because they are on the next screen at the end.

Overall suggestion: Test the hell out of what you have.  More so than what you have.  You need to test for all possibilities.

That being said, it seems like a good start to a LoZ clone.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:18:25 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!

OniShounen

Nanomachines
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 03:22:17 am »
  • David Hayter
Alright, sorry.
That was something I dont really test to well.

The hearts randomly drop, so I never hit them with the sword, but I did program that functionality.
I just left the 'self' identifier on the wrong variable.

It's fixed now.

@aero88 I really appreciate the feedback! Diagonals actually are not possible in LoZ for the NES. So, I won't be implementing that. Also, right now at this point in the development cycle, I am just working on functionality. I'm going to add little graphical touches as I go along. (If you notice right now, the enemies don't appear from a cloud of smoke like LoZ, either.) AS for the sword bolt, the flashing was just using random RGB values, I colorized it a bit now, but the colors are nothing final.

@theforeshadower I fixed the sword/heart collision now! Lol, I do make silly mistakes sometimes. If you find any more bugs please let me know. Scrolling for me is more of a graphical thing. Plus after playing it on the TLoZ on GBA I have to say not having screen scrolls is cool sometimes. (I may make this feature optional for speed runs and such.) The sword has no animation, in TLoZ it actually slides directly forward maybe a pixel or two and then just vanishes. Also, in TLoZ the sword can be swung that rapidly, I timed them, and I got it pretty close, TLoZ might swing a fraction of a second slower, to be honest. Finally, for the enemies being on the edge of the view, I see that this is a problem. I need to program the enemies to randomly spawn, so when I do that, I'll be keeping them from blocking the hidden side of transitions between rooms.

All in all, thank you guys! 1 bug down! Who knows how many to go!

If you like, download the new alpha!
Hopefully, it's free from critical errors!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 03:30:52 am »

@theforeshadower I fixed the sword/heart collision now! Lol, I do make silly mistakes sometimes. If you find any more bugs please let me know. Scrolling for me is more of a graphical thing. Plus after playing it on the TLoZ on GBA I have to say not having screen scrolls is cool sometimes. (I may make this feature optional for speed runs and such.) The sword has no animation, in TLoZ it actually slides directly forward maybe a pixel or two and then just vanishes. Also, in TLoZ the sword can be swung that rapidly, I timed them, and I got it pretty close, TLoZ might swing a fraction of a second slower, to be honest. Finally, for the enemies being on the edge of the view, I see that this is a problem. I need to program the enemies to randomly spawn, so when I do that, I'll be keeping them from blocking the hidden side of transitions between rooms.

As in scrolling, I didn't mean active scrolling.  Play LoZ and watch what happens when you move from area to area.  It actually scrolls, it doesn't instantly place you in the next area.  It is actually an easy albeit time consuming thing to code.  I have done it a few times between XNA/C# and Game Maker.  Your game doesn't have the actual LoZ scrolling, you just have instant area transition.
I know the sword has no animation, I said that you need to give Link the animation of slashing the sword :).  Link "pushes" his arm out when slashing.  you do not have that.

As far as enemies go, just program their position so that they cannot go within 16 pixels of the view and 16 pixels of your HUD object.  That should work for now until/if you find a better way.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

OniShounen

Nanomachines
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 03:34:46 am »
  • David Hayter
okay, um.. let me rephrase a few things.

I don't actually use a bunch of rooms. It's one large room subdivided with a view.
I haven't programed the "scrolling animation" yet. That's more visual for me. Like I said before. I played TLoZ and I honestly prefer no animation, so it doesnt pause for 1/2 a second between rooms. I do plan on adding that feature though, and as for Link's sword animation, I haven't added that either. I will add that though! Thank you.

Oh, I also forgot. Enemies can't move outside the view, plus like between a 12-16 border outside of the sprite itself, so they can't hide from you if you're in the view with them. If you give them a chance to move directly in front of any gap in the walls they will stay there until you return if you leave that area/room/view. That does need to be fixed.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:37:35 am by OniShounen »
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 03:44:21 am »
okay, um.. let me rephrase a few things.

I don't actually use a bunch of rooms. It's one large room subdivided with a view.
I haven't programed the "scrolling animation" yet. That's more visual for me. Like I said before. I played TLoZ and I honestly prefer no animation, so it doesnt pause for 1/2 a second between rooms. I do plan on adding that feature though, and as for Link's sword animation, I haven't added that either. I will add that though! Thank you.

I know your overworld is one giant room.  Not pausing in a LoZ is changing the game mechanics as it gives you the second or so to see if a room is dark, the layout of the room, and whatnot.  In the overworld, is seems even more crucial, especially with the enemy issue.  I don't want to seamlessly go between each area because you could easily walk right into an enemy.  Then, as the gamer, I have to actually stop for a second moving between each area to make sure I don't walk into an enemy.

That, and you still need to work on the sword itself.  There is no auto-fire in Zelda.  Your engine thus far has Auto-Fire.  Link keeps slashing his sword when you hold down L.  It should only happen once, then you have to press L again.

It is me nick picking, but Legend of Zelda is dear to me as it was the first I played as a young child.  Just trying to help point you in the appropriate direction if you are going to emulate it.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

OniShounen

Nanomachines
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 06:03:42 pm »
  • David Hayter
Sweet, thanks for the help man.

I uploaded the newest build.

It's still on the downloads page of the WIP projects page!
http://beta.zfgc.com/index.php/projects/downloads/index/39

It won't let me delete the old uploads, whats up with that?

The screens have transitions now, and the enemies won't spawn for 1 second after you enter the room.

I'm still planning on making the scrolling views optional, if the enemies have a buffer time before deployment.
Speed-runs are usually done by people who become/are skillful at a certain game, so I figure difficulty vs. speed is a good tradeoff.
With no scrolling screen pauses for instant room navigation, the player is given control of the game roughly 3 seconds faster horizontally and 2 seconds faster vertically. Anyone else have any thoughts on this subject?
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 07:15:10 pm »
Nice.  The latest one I downloaded is really starting to get the Legend of Zelda feel to it.  Other than the movement still feeling stiff, is something new to address: the enemy spawning animation.  You just have one image that fades away for the spawn animation.  In Legend of Zelda, it is actually the same animation as the bombs explosions.
Not saying what you have is really bad but it looks awkward since you are using NES graphics.  A silky smooth fade away image doesn't fit with NES graphics.
Obviously, it is nothing you have to fix now.  Just something to add onto the list for later.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

OniShounen

Nanomachines
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 07:27:15 pm »
  • David Hayter
ha ha yea, i did use a built in fade, i was gonna make it with pixel-y goodness, but spriting is something I easily get sidetracked on.

What are you thoughts for the movement?
As far as I can tell, in TLoZ there are no diagonals. Right now, its only the first key you pressed affects movements. TLoZ seems to be the last key you pressed.
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 07:47:38 pm »
Hard to pinpoint.  I would say it probably has something to do with the fact you are not setting Link to a 2 pixel grid if he is not on it or however much it is.  Since you are playing LoZ, tap the movement buttons.  If you keep changing direction, you'll notice Link keeps going in one direction before he switches to the new direction you pressed.  I just messed around a bit with LoZ and the movement seems alot more fluid.  Try adding what I mentioned and it'll probably feel more smooth with your movement.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 07:50:15 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
ha ha yea, i did use a built in fade, i was gonna make it with pixel-y goodness, but spriting is something I easily get sidetracked on.

What are you thoughts for the movement?
As far as I can tell, in TLoZ there are no diagonals. Right now, its only the first key you pressed affects movements. TLoZ seems to be the last key you pressed.

Yeah I just tried your latest download and I must say it feels much better!  As far as movement is concerned as I said before I think that adding diagonals would only be an improvement over the original, but if you do not wish to add that as you stated, then yes movement should be based on the last key pressed.  Movement would be far more fluid that way.  I am really liking the way this is looking though.  Good job!

Here are a few minor things to consider changing when you feel like it.  I have to point out the small things because the big things seem to work quite well.

- Having screen scrolling certainly feels better to me, but the scrolling between screens from left to right or, right to left feels sluggish.  Up and down feels perfect to me though.  
  If I were you I would speed up the left and right screen scrolling to match the time for the up and down screen scrolling.

- If I remember correctly the splat when the sword shot hits something should expand faster so that it gets larger before being destroyed, as it is now it seems kinda slow
  and thus has too small a radius before destruction.

- I noticed that I had left a heart piece in a room, and when I came back later it was still there.  I believe such items disappear when you leave a room.  It has been a
  while since I have played Tloz though.

Keep up the good work!

edit:  One more thing.  If you stand against a wall facing it, and swing your sword with full health, the sword splat is created in the wrong place...  It isn't aligned with the sword.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:59:52 pm by Aero88 »

OniShounen

Nanomachines
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 08:00:34 pm »
  • David Hayter
the items don't despawn yet! I need to fix that, maybe tonight or this weekend, I gotta be at work in an hour, and I will be checking on the movement again.

Link is locked to a grid, albeit a strange one.
He doesn't take a final step like he does in TLoZ. I would like to see about implementing that sooner rather than later.

The current build still has some graphical glitches.
Please let me know if anybody finds anything interesting.

edit: yea, the sword being misaligned is one of the graphical glitches for now.
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 09:28:07 pm »
the items don't despawn yet! I need to fix that, maybe tonight or this weekend, I gotta be at work in an hour, and I will be checking on the movement again.

Link is locked to a grid, albeit a strange one.
He doesn't take a final step like he does in TLoZ. I would like to see about implementing that sooner rather than later.

The current build still has some graphical glitches.
Please let me know if anybody finds anything interesting.

edit: yea, the sword being misaligned is one of the graphical glitches for now.
As far as items despawning(rupees, hearts, etc.) one simple if statement in the step event of the object:
Code: [Select]
if (x < view_xview[0]) || (x > view_wview[0]) || ( y < view_yview + 64) || (y > view_hview[0])
{
          instance_destroy();
}
Of course, I don't have the exact size of your HUD object in terms of y values.  So replace 64 with whatever the height of you Y object is.

This also assumes you are using the
  • view.  Even with modification, this code should work.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

OniShounen

Nanomachines
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 09:30:30 pm »
  • David Hayter
Why thank you for that.
I do believe that I'm going to have them on  a timer. I think they take 10 seconds to despawn. After I get home from work I'll play TLoZ again and see how long those things stick around.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 09:42:29 pm »
Why thank you for that.
I do believe that I'm going to have them on  a timer. I think they take 10 seconds to despawn. After I get home from work I'll play TLoZ again and see how long those things stick around.
Good idea but don't forget: When you move from area to area, it still removes them.  If you just have a timer, someone could move between areas quickly and still see the hearts and whatnot.  Of course, that would be the person trying to find bugs/glitches in the game :)
  • Super Fan Gamers!

OniShounen

Nanomachines
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 11:50:06 pm »
  • David Hayter
 :huh:

It's almost been one year.
I thought I had deleted the source for this!
Fortunately not, I've updated a bit, anyone care to check it out?

Here's a 4shared link:

http://www.4shared.com/zip/r6u3BpyK/LoZalpha004.html

For those who don't like 4shared, I've also attached the .zip!

OniShounen

Nanomachines
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 01:22:15 am »
  • David Hayter
Yo, yo, yo!

NEW SCREENSHOTS! This project's heart is starting to beat again.

• I added Link's sword animation (last night)
  • The HUD works!
  • Pressing enter displays the inventory
  • WASD or Directional keys for movement
  • K and L for items (Or Control and Alt)
  • Items despawn after a few seconds or they go off screen
  • There are lots of new items and enemies
  • Other behind the scenes stuff

There will be a new demo soonish
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 01:32:01 am by OniShounen »

AJAX

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 06:54:17 pm »
I know I'm grave digging a bit, but I'm curious as to why this didn't get attention? ;p

Good work. If my internet wasn't being a DICK, I'd actually give it a test.

OniShounen

Nanomachines
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 01:28:21 pm »
  • David Hayter
I'm not dead, you guys. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm studying software development in school at the moment; working on my A.S. I think about this game all the time. I really only have a small checklist left to program, but I've had tons going on over the summer, then I started fall classes. I'll be able to post a demo with the whole first dungeon after I finish.

-Edit 10/20-

Alright!
I have three enemies left to finish.
It's possible I will add to the overworld some more.
Finally, I wanted to polish the overall game a bit (loading bar, window icon, I can't find a rip for the enemy decease splat >_>)
THEN IT'S DEMO TIME. I'm so sorry for the delay.

I worked on this game some today, but I ended up having to practice pathfinding for like 3 hours.
Although... I did get it working in an isolated environment. Now I just have to implement it inside this project.

-Edit 10/24-
ONE ENEMY LEFT TO PROGRAM.
Then I'm gonna touch up the overworld. (Depending on how I feel, I may do the loading bars and stuff; but maybe not. I want you guys to play this soon!)
If someone would be kind as to point me to the enemy splat animation (It's like 3 or 5 frames I think), or I'll rip it myself in the next couple of days.

Also, trivia:
I just remembered. The first time I ever played "The Legend of Zelda" or any LoZ game was on a small TV inside an old van my family owned (a Chevy Mark III). Back then I was like 6 I think. I distinctly remember hating this game. I had no idea what I was doing. I wandered around forever without a sword, and since it was inside our van I only got to play it for 30 minutes tops, usually getting frustrated after 5, and just playing Duck Hunt instead.

It looked like this on the inside, the NES was installed on the right.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:44:22 pm by OniShounen »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 82 queries.