Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Selling Game Maker games on Steam... wait, WHAT?  (Read 17286 times)

Selling Game Maker games on Steam... wait, WHAT?
« on: February 20, 2012, 08:57:00 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
(I hope this is the right place to post since it is related to my game developing endeavours, but it's kinda in the gray. Meh, move if you wish, mods.)
http://gamemakerblog.com/2011/10/25/vlambeers-serious-sam-the-random-encounter-published-to-steam/

So it looks as if it's possible to sell Game Maker games on Steam, natively. O,o WHA?! However, I'll still probably want to code in Monkey, because I'm afraid that Game Maker won't play as well as it should with the Steamworks tools. But does anyone know anything about this? Anyone have any information at all on Game Maker games sold on Steam? I'm super curious about this. If no one knows anything, I'm going to find a way to contact Steam/Steamworks and ask them about it (not sure I'd get a reply though, since they've probably had more than enough inexperienced/lazy Game Maker people asking questions). If I can't use Game Maker, then I'll bite the bullet and go the way of the Monkey (learning a much less visual coding program, being highly motivated by the thought of getting paid). Either way, I'd have to literally work my butt off to get a game on Steam, but it'd be so worth it!

Steamworks website: http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/

In the mean time, I'm researching like crazy as well as brainstorming for the game that I want to create as my first commercial game.

If anyone has any info at all on selling Game Maker games via Steam, I'm all ears. And I'm sure that there are other people that would like to know as well.

EDIT:

Just found out about Game Maker 9 and that during 2012 all versions of GM will get a "complete rewrite", and they mention supporting Steam:
http://www.yoyogames.com/news/45
(guess that's pretty old news, but I've been out of the GM loop for a while, and I thought some other people might not know this stuff either)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:46:32 am by Frozen炎 »
  • My Music
Re: Selling Game Maker games on Steam... wait, W...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 06:36:52 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Wow.  That is actually some really great news.  I don't have any plans to move to another programming platform, but I have become increasingly interested in selling my games, so this would be a very welcome development from my perspective.  Unfortunately I don't have anything to add to the validity of selling GM games via steam as this is the first I have heard of it, but I hope it will!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 11:09:34 pm »
I've never seen why you couldn't sell a game made with GM through a platform like steam, I think the reason most people think it won't happen is the average quality of GM games is very low. Really, as long as you keep a focus on making sure your game is up to scratch and doesn't use another game's resources you have a chance.
I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement steamworks, but it's possible.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 07:06:13 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I've never seen why you couldn't sell a game made with GM through a platform like steam, I think the reason most people think it won't happen is the average quality of GM games is very low. Really, as long as you keep a focus on making sure your game is up to scratch and doesn't use another game's resources you have a chance.
I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement steamworks, but it's possible.

Actually, I was surprised to hear this simply because I didn't think Game Maker would play well with the Steamworks SDK, or if GM would like the API. And I was also wondering if it was capable of being protected by DRM (pretty sure it can't be in it's native form, unfortunately). I know that Game Maker isn't supported super well, but I'm hoping that it will be supported more fully when GM9 comes out, and it is already possible to get a GM game on to Steam natively anyway. I'm just not too sure about some of the details, and it's hard to get details when you don't already have a complete/near-complete game, since they only let you in on more of the details after you've submitted your game. :/

Either way, I won't let it stop me from developing my game in GM. I'll just get at making my game and I'll work things out with Steam when the time comes. Even if it means porting a completed game to a new language that I barely know, I'd already have most of the work done. Seeing it this way, I think it's better to start with GM than to wait until I know more. BUT if anyone knows more, I'd love to be as informed as possible. XD
  • My Music

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:56:52 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
That's kinda dangerous, actually. Cuz if they find out that Steam is hosting games that are published and SOLD that are actually infringing on copyrights (like a Zelda fangame), it could go the way of Megaupload, which is a path of no return.
I would kindly warn against messing with this and just walk away.
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:12:03 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
That's kinda dangerous, actually. Cuz if they find out that Steam is hosting games that are published and SOLD that are actually infringing on copyrights (like a Zelda fangame), it could go the way of Megaupload, which is a path of no return.

I guess I forgot to mention that I was talking about an IP, not a fan game of any kind but something made completely by me. It's obviously illegal to sell copyrighted material when you don't have the right given to you by whomever holds the rights. On top of that, there's no way Steam would be stupid enough to pass a Zelda fan game anyway, since they have to check out your game to see if it's worthy to be sold. Since Nintendo holds the rights to Zelda, I think it's safe to say that Steam will never have a Zelda game, ever.

Anyway, I can see how you could misunderstand, since this is ZFGC after all. ... also, megaupload is dead. Government killed it because of illegal activity. :o EDIT: Annd I should learn to read or possibly get some sleep. I misread that part about megaupload. Sorry. ::)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:15:45 am by Frozen炎 »
  • My Music
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 10:37:18 am »

I don't think Steam is that stupid to sell games with copyright material.  If the situation did arise, I am about 99% sure they have a legal failsafe that stipulates you(the developer) gets sued, not them(Steam).

Calm down.  Nothing wrong with selling original games with original content on Steam using Game Maker.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 03:08:23 pm »

I don't think Steam is that stupid to sell games with copyright material.  If the situation did arise, I am about 99% sure they have a legal failsafe that stipulates you(the developer) gets sued, not them(Steam).

Calm down.  Nothing wrong with selling original games with original content on Steam using Game Maker.

Yet the moment I state me and my team are producing a commercial game made with Game Maker, I get slandered because it's Game Maker :P
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 05:15:44 pm »
When did that happen?

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 05:36:20 pm »
When did that happen?

A good while ago. And recently on Zelda Universe forums

I still don't get why people care about what a game is developed in?
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 06:47:31 pm »
They don't intrinsically. It's just that the majority of games made in gamemaker are complete !@#$%.

I really wouldn't get your hopes up though guys, steam is notoriously restrictive over what they allow into the store, your only real way as an indie is to already have an large established community around the game - as most indie games on steam have.

Send a message to the steamworks support team, and they will give you a brief overview of the TRC they require before releasing games on steam.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 06:52:12 pm »
They don't intrinsically. It's just that the majority of games made in gamemaker are complete !@#$%.

I really wouldn't get your hopes up though guys, steam is notoriously restrictive over what they allow into the store, your only real way as an indie is to already have an large established community around the game - as most indie games on steam have.

Send a message to the steamworks support team, and they will give you a brief overview of the TRC they require before releasing games on steam.

Which is a shame. Let's find out. I'm going to bring Legena back to ZFGC but this time round I've given it the same love I gave Chiming Bells but even more this time.

I agree with Infini on this actually. That's why I'm focusing on the game itself for now. If the game's well loved, THEN I'll annoy Steam lol
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 07:00:24 pm »
Would people really pay for crap made in game maker?

Hell i was surprised when that RPGMaker looking game call of chthululululu sold on steam.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 07:01:52 pm »
Also bare in mind if you go to a game development company and say your first published game was made in gamemaker, you will be laughed out the door lol.

Hell i was surprised when that RPGMaker looking game call of chthululululu sold on steam.
Its amazing what people will throw their money at.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 07:13:09 pm »
Also bare in mind if you go to a game development company and say your first published game was made in gamemaker, you will be laughed out the door lol.

I would switch to C++ but there are things I still can't do. I'll be trying to solve those this summer.

What I don't understand is why the still slandering of game maker? It's got future porting to iOS/Android (Out this year), stuff on PSN, Steam?, HTML5 and all that. It's been praised by BAFTA and used to help the winners of the young developer awards build their game. Game Maker does so much yet people still shoot it down.

Especially as there's worse software. Torque for a start.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 07:18:44 pm »

I would switch to C++ but there are things I still can't do. I'll be trying to solve those this summer.

What I don't understand is why the still slandering of game maker? It's got future porting to iOS/Android (Out this year), stuff on PSN, Steam?, HTML5 and all that. It's been praised by BAFTA and used to help the winners of the young developer awards build their game. Game Maker does so much yet people still shoot it down.

Can't really use the phone argument when you have !@#$% like angry birds selling, it doesn't help at all.

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 07:21:01 pm »

Simply put; game development is one of the most elitist industries around, unless you know assembly, or c++ inside and out you won't have a chance of getting a professional job.

Game Maker, despite its good ability to entice newcomers to programming and development of games games, it has many many flaws. It's completely impractical for performance critical code or low-level code, it's very very limiting, it teaches bad habits and design methodologies, not to mention the actual engine is proprietary and will not be made available any-time soon. It will never be taken seriously by the industry.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:22:41 pm by Infini »

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 07:31:50 pm »
Simply put; game development is one of the most elitist industries around, unless you know assembly, or c++ inside and out you won't have a chance of getting a professional job.

Game Maker, despite its good ability to entice newcomers to programming and development of games games, it has many many flaws. It's completely impractical for performance critical code or low-level code, it's very very limiting, it teaches bad habits and design methodologies, not to mention the actual engine is proprietary and will not be made available any-time soon. It will never be taken seriously by the industry.

Yeh I won't argue with the points you pointed out. I still believe though that GM should be taken more seriously. Even if it's half seriously. Still can't complain, I know how to make games in c++ and GM so I'll be fine.

I know alot of C++ inside out, just not a few things (I've actually made a few games with it. But they all have performance issues) . Once I know these things, I'll make the official jump.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 07:43:13 pm »
I know alot of C++ inside out
Why is a #define better than a const?
Explain stack unwinding.
What is difference between malloc/free and new/delete?
What is an anonymous namespace?
What is polymorphism?
What is template metaprogramming?
What is the mutable keyword used for?
What is a functor?
What is a dangling pointer?
What does RAII refer to?
What executes faster: ++i or i++, where i is an integer variable?
What is an example of when a destructor is NOT called at the end of scope?
Explain the difference between a struct and a class.
What is name mangling in C++?

Hope you can answer all of then then :3. Those are all very basic C++ interview questions.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 07:51:40 pm »
I know alot of C++ inside out
Why is a #define better than a const?
Explain stack unwinding.
What is difference between malloc/free and new/delete?
What is an anonymous namespace?
What is polymorphism?
What is template metaprogramming?
What is the mutable keyword used for?
What is a functor?
What is a dangling pointer?
What does RAII refer to?
What executes faster: ++i or i++, where i is an integer variable?
What is an example of when a destructor is NOT called at the end of scope?
Explain the difference between a struct and a class.
What is name mangling in C++?

Hope you can answer all of then then :3. Those are all very basic C++ interview questions.

I'm going to wrap this topic up as it's now being more directed at me and frankly I get enough programming questions at university. I can answer them but I NEVER said I would ever become an employee in a development team. Check the previous post. Never once have I. Right now I'm focusing on my university course and honing my c++ skills. Only and only when I feel confident that I can impress all I try to impress will I seek a job in the c++ department. Til then, I am following other aspects of game development. I may not even go into game development. I can't predict the future.

And on that note, I'm leaving the topic to prevent any further topic about me. If I wanted a topic about me, I'd have made one in the community section :P
  • Phoenix Heart
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 74 queries.

anything