Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FrozenFire's Custom Zelda Graphics (2D)  (Read 3577 times)

FrozenFire's Custom Zelda Graphics (2D)
« on: June 17, 2014, 07:31:23 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I figured I'd make a graphics topic for myself, because I don't know if actual games will come out of the stuff I've been making.
I know I'm definitely not the best spriter here, so sorry if you expected better from me for some reason. :P

06 / 16 / 2014

Mock up of "Moonshade Forest"

I've been working with an ultra low-res (4x4 grid) old school style with the idea of creating a game called "Literally a Mini Zelda". (LaMZ..?)
This mock up shows a cursed/haunted forest area. The sun never shines upon it and it's said that an unimaginable darkness lurks within the very deepest part of the forest.

Some sprites meant for a mini game called "Link's Barrel Beatdown"

(Note: The blue background isn't supposed to be water, even though I brainlessly made it look a bit like that with the wavy divider *derps*)
I was also working on this before LaMZ. In fact, I actually started messing with LaMZ because I got a little stuck with Link's Barrel Beatdown. I was trying to keep it simple, but some unforeseen complicated stuff pretty much made me have to rethink the idea. If I went with the original idea, I'd have to take a good amount of time programming some fairly deep physics for strings of ammunition (Deku Seeds) which feed into the "barrel guns". It'd be totally sick, but a nightmare to program, ha ha.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 05:09:41 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music

Koh

Re: FrozenFire's Custom Zelda Graphics
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 01:15:03 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
I think the concept is interesting, but the color choice seems really awkward.  I get this is supposed to be a dark forest, but what would be more appealing to the eye would be something like dark green-blue or purple trees with green-brown grass, since they wouldn't be getting the requisite amount of sunlight and would be withering.  Which brings me to the next point of detail:  Dead trees, fallen logs, and etc. 

Also, I hope if you do  make this into the game, the screen resolution isn't overly large like up there, and we're seeing a lot of space, but with tiny sprites.  It makes it really difficult to keep track of what's going on.
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 02:13:29 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Yeah, the palette is not finished, and it's a bit tough for me to work in a style with no outlines nor space for shading to ensure sprites remain identifiable no matter what the surroundings; it's definitely a work in progress. I was mainly just testing how things tiled. And the big view was because of me wanting to see lots of tiles at once as part of the test. If made into a game, it will be a more "retro" friendly resolution and ratio.

... dark green-blue or purple trees with green-brown grass, since they wouldn't be getting the requisite amount of sunlight and would be withering.  Which brings me to the next point of detail:  Dead trees, fallen logs, and etc.
It's a forest that thrives off of dark magic, not the sun. It works because its a fantasy world and all. XD But I do agree that it could look more ominous and stuff. Real good feedback. Thanks. :)
  • My Music

AimesGames

Aimes Games: Zelda fan games.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 02:56:15 am »
  • Zelda fan games.
 :D

I really like this.  It could be very cool.  It's classy, retro, and it just works for a Zelda game some reason...I like it a lot.
  • AimesGames's Website
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 05:15:14 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
:D

I really like this.  It could be very cool.  It's classy, retro, and it just works for a Zelda game some reason...I like it a lot.

Thanks! ( also, welcome to ZFGC! :) )

I'm working on various Zelda projects right now, trying to feel out which idea out of about 4 that I want to go with. Whatever route I choose, you can expect more retro. Even if it ends up being 3D. ;)
  • My Music
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 47 queries.