Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Project of the Month  (Read 2721 times)

Project of the Month
« on: June 01, 2009, 08:49:10 am »
Project of the Month - May 2009

The Legend of Zelda: Chiming Bells

Forum Topic | Site Page

Developer: King Tetiro
Language: Game Maker
First Posted: May 3rd, 2009
Last Update: June 1st, 2009

In addition to Minish Cap and A Link to the Past style fan games, there has also been attempts at games in the Link's Awakening and Oracle of Ages/Seasons style that have been in development on Zelda Fan Game Central. The blend of simplicity and classic charm with the graphics has made it appealing to developers who tend to be coders or those who prefer the nostalgia of the Gameboy-era games. What this sometimes conceals is the fact that many games done in this style have a better potential for being refined and well-made.

King Tetiro's game The Legend of Zelda: Chiming Bells has the beginnings of that end quality. His project had substantial progress and updates made over the month of May. Those updates contained many new features to his game. More importantly though, King Tetiro has worked hard on this project and has been an outstanding member of the community. Because of his project and his contributions to the community, King Tetiro and his project The Legend of Zelda: Chiming Bells was unanimously selected as the Project of the Month for the month of May.

Game Story/Plot

Hyrule is setting. Two years after the events of Majora's Mask, Link has since returned to Hyrule. Sitting with Malon at Lon Lon Ranch, Link discusses the still-remaining peace that exists in the absence of Ganondorf. Taking it lightly, both decide to call it a day and go home. An eerie silence pervades the forest...

As Link you must venture through both familiar and unfamiliar parts of Hyrule in an effort to save it from the evil that persists in it. Can Link discover what ills in the shadows? Only you can find out!

Recent Media

Video
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbcbgVcaJ9A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbcbgVcaJ9A</a>
The Forest Temple in action.

Screenshots

A collection of various places in the game.

Developer Q & A

Q. How are you able to have frequent and high-quality updates?

A. Well what I did was I started with the basics (Link, Kokiri Forest and the NPCs) and I then added chunks (The rest of Hyrule and the Forest Temple) when I felt I had the time. Luckily for me I have no college for another 3/4 months!

Q. Do you have any advice for others to become more productive?

A. Stay committed. If you start having doubt on the project go ask someone for help. More importantly organise yourself and time!

Q. This is not for a while, but do you have plans to enter your game into the NCFC?

A. Hopefully yeh. Should be fun! (Could someone send me the details for this year's/next year's one)

Q. Your project also has a YouTube video, was it difficult to make that?

A. Actually the YouTube video was very easy to make. All it required was a bit of math to calculate the timer rate and GML knowledge. If anyone using GM6 or GM7 wants help with this they can ask me.

Q. Why is it that you chose to use the Oracle/Gameboy style for graphics?

A. Well at first I chose the style for the contest with my Majora's Mask entry and I guess the style grew on me.

Q. Which is more interesting: adding custom characters or adapting existing ones to the Oracle/Gameboy style?

A. Custom Styled for new things (Rodri, the bosses, etc).Adaptions for the NPCs. I hate spriting NPCs.

Q. Your game has many features, which one was the most challenging to implement?

A. The room transitions for all of Hyrule. Dungeons = Easy, Bosses and Enemies = A Snap. Room Transitions = A Tiring Process.

Q. How often do you get stuck in terms of not knowing how to implement something?

A. Most of the time it's easy flowing programming but sometimes there's an odd hiccup. Like for example the hookshot kept dragging me into a solid. Solved the problem now.

Q. How can all of us at ZFGC help out and support your project's development?

A. Well there a few things that ZFGC can do. One is that I need a new boss theme for the game. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask had different tunes, so will this one. Also, please take part in any polls I make for the game. Request topics also need attention. Giving me screenshots of NPCs and enemies from Ocarina of Time helps me a lot too.

Q. Is there anything you want to mention that hasn't been asked in a question above?

A. At the end of this interview, I shall be making the last few rooms and releasing the land of Hyrule on ZFGC!!! You have been warned!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 06:45:27 am by 4Sword »

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Re: Project of the Month
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 09:40:35 am »
Hey 4Sword, in your inbox is the last question.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 12:48:57 pm »
Congrats King Tetiro, with making the PotM.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 12:49:42 pm »
Congrats King Tetiro, with making the PotM.

Thanks Niek. I hope that the next demo will be the first proper demo.
  • Phoenix Heart

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 01:54:08 pm »
Excellent presentation! Hmm, I wonder if making the minimap first would be better for making the overworld.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 01:55:54 pm »
Excellent presentation! Hmm, I wonder if making the minimap first would be better for making the overworld.
It does help because you know what rooms to create and where they go.
  • Phoenix Heart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 49 queries.

anything