Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Game Maker 8 Pro]Comprehensive Gameboy Zelda Engine  (Read 17612 times)

Re: [Game Maker 8 Pro]Comprehensive Gameboy Zeld...
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 08:05:53 am »
  • The devil in the mirror.
The engine looks really nice, everything seems to be working =)
However, I can't say I really like the graphics style, it looks a bit too dark and detailed to really fit with the 2D zelda style. That's just my honest opinion tho ;)
Working on my Masters Degree in Computer Science.
Hey look, Zelda Coop....later.
Proud user of C++ for 9 years, and counting!

Koh

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 03:13:14 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
This is amazing, Koh! I'm loving everything so far, besides the constantly swapping subscreen.

How hard will it be to make cutscenes, and make different holdup item sounds (For the sword etc)?
There's such a mixed opinion around the shifting-when-necessary HUD now, I no longer know what to do with it.  Keeping it stationary is easy, but then there will be things hiding behind it.  I can get around that too, but still...it's become a stalemate.

No harder than how it would be in Game Maker, since that is what you open the Game Maker file with.  The only difference is, when that point in time comes, all the basics would have been programmed in already, such as NPC movement, and just require modification and specification.

The engine looks really nice, everything seems to be working =)
However, I can't say I really like the graphics style, it looks a bit too dark and detailed to really fit with the 2D zelda style. That's just my honest opinion tho ;)
Nothing wrong with having an opinion, though I can say you're the only one who has said such so far.  I've been told by some others that it looks like a blend between Seiken Densetsu (the Mana series) with Zelda, which I don't mind.  SD had some pretty amazing graphics, and an excellent use of colors.

EDIT:

Besides having delayed the Power Bracelet (and Titan's Glove) for so long, I also plan to tackle Side-view (platforming) areas soon.  It's just a variable switch, but it also requires a subsection of the movement engine.  Of course, Text Boxes will come in soon...I can literally copy and paste my previous code I wrote up and add the comments to it, but it has more features than necessary for this, so I'll probably write it from the ground up.  I did make a video of that a while back.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raxsdGCEzpE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raxsdGCEzpE</a>

It'll probably just be rewritten with text commands, nameboxes and choices only.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 03:25:12 pm by dlbrooks33 »
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 03:32:19 pm »
  • The devil in the mirror.
Really nice textbox =D Seems very flexible :) Especially like how you can slow it down like that.
Dat Skype sound at 1:09 xD

I'm usually very honest about my opinions ;) I just think that the new style with all the details makes it look... untidy I guess. Link is a bit harder to see on the detailed grass than on the old "clean" grass.
Working on my Masters Degree in Computer Science.
Hey look, Zelda Coop....later.
Proud user of C++ for 9 years, and counting!

Koh

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 05:26:17 pm »
  • Tamer Koh

You know, it always bugged me how the GBC Zelda's sideview areas were pitch black in the back.  Why does it have to be like that?  Why can't it just be a (much darker) tiled background like the tiles in the foreground?  I'll probably make that when I do the graphics for this.

For now, I just wanted to show that it IS working, but I have some kinks to work out with it.  For some silly reason, Link can get stuck in a corner of a wall...like this.

I'm trying to figure out what's causing it, but I'm a little stumped at the moment.  You can have fun with it though.

It's like Link thinks he's a ghost.

EDIT:  Oh nevermind.  Silly me.  It was the corner cutting code doing that; I forgot to disable that in sideview areas XP.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 05:36:05 pm by dlbrooks33 »
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 11:34:35 pm »
The textbox and sideview are great! Great job. :)

Although, I think "Press Z" instead of "Press Z to continue" would suffice for the textboxes. :)
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 07:42:44 pm »
I downloaded 0.0.1.5, and played with it for what I could.  I noticed that sometimes after the screen transition if I try to move along the edge or at an angle, Link will seem to be barred from it.  He can move forward which then will allow him to move to his left or right, but he seems to be initially forced to go forward once.  Maybe I'm just crazy though.  This is a possibility.
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 05:53:12 am »
  • Evil's origin begins in TLOZ AO...
Wow this looks badass!  I was thinking of making a 1 dungeon Zelda game GB style and was going to just code it from scrath but this might work perfect!

Koh

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 12:10:45 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
Just digging this up to post the final update.  Since this is no longer being worked on, in favor of working on my original projects,  in addition to still receiving messages about it, I'm releasing the last, and most up-to-date version of the source code.

The code is well documented such that anyone could peruse through, and understand what each block or line of code does.  Many features were not fully implemented, such as the platforming area (ladders weren't implemented), however this engine could still serve as a starting point for many.  The code presented here is by no means the only or best way to handle things.  In fact, handling the graphics could have been done better, through the use of importing, such that when graphics need to be updated, all that would need to happen is the updating of the graphics files themselves.

Nonetheless, I present to you all the final batch of screenshots, and the final download package.  Good luck to any seeking to create a Zelda Fan Game!

Old Video
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDa7R2BvQd0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDa7R2BvQd0</a>

Final Screenshots

Final Download Package
Comprehensive Game Boy Zelda Engine:  Final Source Package
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 10:20:52 pm »
Did you say "original projects"?
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 56 queries.