Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent music? Recent music!  (Read 4020 times)

Recent music? Recent music!
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:11:30 am »
Well it's been a rather long time since I posted anything here. I have actually been working on music though, albeit at a slower rate than I used to. All of the pieces below are WIP, so they all sort of end abruptly or just have parts missing cause I still haven't written them. Mastering is also very lacking.

http://loopyluke.com/music/wip/Resonance_wip_0.3.mp3

This is an old piece compared to the other two, I've been writing it for about a year and a half now. I just do bits every now and then. The last 45 seconds or so has no dynamics written for any of the instruments so might sound a bit flat in comparision to the rest. Still unfinished, I only recently decided to have it transition into a new movement. Orchestral as the genre I guess.

http://loopyluke.com/music/wip/DerpyDurr_wip_0.1.mp3

Yeah, I rarely name projects until they're finished so my folder is full of durrs and pianothingys :P This one is one of my experiments in trance/dance music, which I've been doing a bit of lately. I created all of the synths but one in this piece from scatch, was an intresting little deviation from pure composition.

http://loopyluke.com/music/wip/Trancy_wip_0.1.mp3

Another one of my experiments, this piece being an earlier one. Not sure where to go with this one actually...
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

thestig

Re: Recent music? Recent music!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:27:18 am »
Well it's been a rather long time since I posted anything here. I have actually been working on music though, albeit at a slower rate than I used to. All of the pieces below are WIP, so they all sort of end abruptly or just have parts missing cause I still haven't written them. Mastering is also very lacking.

http://loopyluke.com/music/wip/Resonance_wip_0.3.mp3

This is an old piece compared to the other two, I've been writing it for about a year and a half now. I just do bits every now and then. The last 45 seconds or so has no dynamics written for any of the instruments so might sound a bit flat in comparision to the rest. Still unfinished, I only recently decided to have it transition into a new movement. Orchestral as the genre I guess.

http://loopyluke.com/music/wip/DerpyDurr_wip_0.1.mp3

Yeah, I rarely name projects until they're finished so my folder is full of durrs and pianothingys :P This one is one of my experiments in trance/dance music, which I've been doing a bit of lately. I created all of the synths but one in this piece from scatch, was an intresting little deviation from pure composition.

http://loopyluke.com/music/wip/Trancy_wip_0.1.mp3

Another one of my experiments, this piece being an earlier one. Not sure where to go with this one actually...
I like the first song a lot. It reminds me of the first theme you posted on here, which I think was used in Oracle of Life? The second song is a pleasure to listen to... not too repetitive, nice beat, great sound overall. You know what? The second song is your theme song at them college parties you go to. ;p Only complaint is that it just randomly ends. That's what it made me think of.. ahaha. The weakest one of the three was obviously the last song on the list you posted, Trancy_wip, but that's probably because it's the least complete. It's repetitive. I think the drum instrument you used is what does it in for me. I don't know.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:02:17 am »
These are wicked good! Do you do it all with computer instruments? First one definitely seems like it could be in a video game. What do you mean by mastering is lacking?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 09:31:35 am »
I like the first song a lot. It reminds me of the first theme you posted on here, which I think was used in Oracle of Life?
I think the oracle of life song would have been about my 6th song I made? Definitely not the first though :P That would be this one: http://windpixel.com/music/Seshripe%20Village.mp3
The second song is a pleasure to listen to... not too repetitive, nice beat, great sound overall. You know what? The second song is your theme song at them college parties you go to. ;p Only complaint is that it just randomly ends. That's what it made me think of.. ahaha.
Haha, college party song yeah right :P It's at a dangerous point where it could become too repetitive though, and personally I think it's a little weak, like it's lacking something but I'm not sure what. Maybe it's variety.
The weakest one of the three was obviously the last song on the list you posted, Trancy_wip, but that's probably because it's the least complete. It's repetitive. I think the drum instrument you used is what does it in for me. I don't know.
I would agree, it's the one I've spent the least amount of time on and I was really doing it to learn how mix the drums... which still didn't come out all that nicely haha. One of the biggest hurdles for me with this type of music is that drums require a lot of attention to mixing and effects, wheras I'm used to using more natural instruments that only need a bit of EQ and reverb.

These are wicked good! Do you do it all with computer instruments? First one definitely seems like it could be in a video game. What do you mean by mastering is lacking?
Yeah, all of the stuff here is sampled instruments from VSTs and soundfonts mostly. What I mean by mastering is exactly that :P it's an audio engineering term for doing things like volume leveling, EQ and other semitransparent effects to give the final song clarity, making sure every instrument sits nicely in the mix and such.

Cheers for the feedback guys :)

Arcaith

Landscape Police
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:24:46 pm »
  • *ding*
With the trance piece, I think it'd work well if you expanded the motive that comes in at 0:28 into a larger melody. There's a lot of potential there.
*MooN*
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 02:41:16 am »
  • It's just Max.
Those are some stellar beats, dude!

I just watched Rango last night, and the first one reminded me a bit of the music from there. Which was mostly Hans Zimmer, who is the best film composer to ever walk the earth, so that's a compliment! :D
But I think that it's fabulously mixed, and has some great melodies, each instrument functions great together. My only critique is that in terms of style, it wasn't really leaning any particular way. I mean, the guitar gave it the southwest flair, but if you think, where in a movie would this fit?, the answer is in a pretty generic scene. It doesn't really evoke any particular mood. Although to me, it sounds like exploring, like riding our horses across the desert. The converse of that is that it could actually fit just about anywhere, so if you apply it to a video game, for example, it could be the background music to any level, because you could be doing anything in the level and it would fit. Except maybe battling. So that's kind of a stretch criticism.
Oh, also the guitar part in the last 15 seconds until the guitar cuts out is awkwardish.

The second song definitely needs variety. Maybe throw in some leads? As an unfinished product, it's phenominal. I'd add a bit more distortion to the primary synth, the one that carries the main chords. But that's just personal taste. As far as the synths behind that one go, they're killer, they work really well!
The synth that starts 2 or so measures after that main synth cuts out the first time helps bring the song together a lot more in the second half. But then it gets a bit redundant again. I think the two parts of the song where that main 3-chord synth is going are either twice as long as they need to be, or need something else for half their lengths.

The last one is a great start, I'm really diggin' that bass. I think the last four measures curb my enthusiams a bit, though. Instead of what you usually see in a song like this, where one instrument will stay the same and an additional instrument will add something after a couple measure, one instrument stayed the same and the additional instrument cut out and I was like, uh, I already heard this part, this is just dissatisfying.

Note, I also kind of went out on a limb to find some criticism. If I hadn't got out my criticism-metal-detector, I would have missed any problems altogether. The tunes are phenominal. Great mixing, especially. You sound really professional.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 04:50:29 pm »
With the trance piece, I think it'd work well if you expanded the motive that comes in at 0:28 into a larger melody. There's a lot of potential there.
Yeah, I could do a little more with that, I see where you mean.

Note, I also kind of went out on a limb to find some criticism. If I hadn't got out my criticism-metal-detector, I would have missed any problems altogether. The tunes are phenominal. Great mixing, especially. You sound really professional.
This is exactly the sort of criticism I need, I'm not going to get better if people just tell me that it's good :P I know my music isn't up to the standard I want it, so very much appreciated :)!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 51 queries.