Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Spirit Mythes Sprite Discussion  (Read 4735 times)

Spirit Mythes Sprite Discussion
« on: March 30, 2010, 03:50:41 am »
  • You heard of the thing from the place with stuff?
Okay, so I need some help here. Recently we have been working on some extras and here are two of which we need help on. First we brainstormed on a new overworld monster. Before we continue on this sheet, we want to see what to do with it. It is a horse-like-creature called either a Pegasus or a Mythe Horse. (See Attachment.) We are also working on a new minigame that is similer to the Chest Game in ALttP. The difference is that it is Bomb Flowers Instead. There are eight of them in a room, six of them are bombs and two are prizes. They explode as soon as you pick them up. It uses a combination of a bush-cut-animation and a bomb-explosion-animation. As soon as you fail or win, you appear back in the same room and the flower is back in its spot and the prizes are randomised. We started working on spriting the bomb, we finished the room, so see the attachment and tell us what you think.
Sorry, I can't think of a more interesting sig. > .>

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Spirit Mythes Sprite Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 04:05:44 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Okay, so I need some help here. Recently we have been working on some extras and here are two of which we need help on. First we brainstormed on a new overworld monster. Before we continue on this sheet, we want to see what to do with it. It is a horse-like-creature called either a Pegasus or a Mythe Horse. (See Attachment.) We are also working on a new minigame that is similer to the Chest Game in ALttP. The difference is that it is Bomb Flowers Instead. There are eight of them in a room, six of them are bombs and two are prizes. They explode as soon as you pick them up. It uses a combination of a bush-cut-animation and a bomb-explosion-animation. As soon as you fail or win, you appear back in the same room and the flower is back in its spot and the prizes are randomised. We started working on spriting the bomb, we finished the room, so see the attachment and tell us what you think.

Is that an edit of Master Yoshi's horse? <_<;; I sincerely hope you're actually getting permission to do that stuff, because seriously- it's not cool to just edit someone elses work.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 04:12:03 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
retracted reply.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:30:43 am by DJvenom »
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Ethelon

Awesome Resized Avys
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 04:31:00 am »
I'm going to have to agree with DJ here o.o....

If you want to edit it, get his permission first, then at least try to make the styles and shading fit. The wings are just plastered on there with a bold black outline.... And yellow and black don't look good together like that...

EDIT:
NOOOO.... I liked the facepalms o.o

Xfixium: "Leader"/Lead Programmer/Lead Spriter,  Cypras: Programmer, Ethelon: Tiler/Spriter, Darklink45: Spriter, Noseblunt3: Spriter,
SinkinDevil: Spriter, Dotyue: Spriter, Tompel: Tiler/Spriter, 
Mamoruanime: Tiler, DJvenom: Spriter

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 04:33:23 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
I pasted it over every one of RFO's Eponas and none of them matched. Not even parts of it. I'm assuming he was just inspired by it and drew his own.

Also: Yellow and black IS a very ugly color combo. And by law you are no longer allowed to accuse anyone of pillow-shading. So it shall be.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 04:38:00 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
As mentioned on MSN-

The parts that don't match are reshades- you can tell which ones are "original" works and which ones are another persons by the shading differences. It's essentially the same stuff I used to do when I was learning how to sprite (pre Bongo Bongo sprite); take a sprite, white it out, and try to recolor over it and modify it.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 04:39:28 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I pasted it over every one of RFO's Eponas and none of them matched. Not even parts of it. I'm assuming he was just inspired by it and drew his own.
I was reluctant to say anything because I wasn't sure.

Also: Yellow and black IS a very ugly color combo. And by law you are no longer allowed to accuse anyone of pillow-shading. So it shall be.
The wings are just plastered on there with a bold black outline.... And yellow and black don't look good together like that...
^ I agree here. Needs a little TLC.
Btw, is it supposed to look evilish?

EDIT:
As mentioned on MSN-

The parts that don't match are reshades- you can tell which ones are "original" works and which ones are another persons by the shading differences. It's essentially the same stuff I used to do when I was learning how to sprite (pre Bongo Bongo sprite); take a sprite, white it out, and try to recolor over it and modify it.
Hmm... :-\
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:41:26 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 04:45:27 am »
How dare you acuse me of stealing! That is beneath me. (Really offended.) I used MC Epona as a base, not a Fan Epona. It useto be an Epona I was going to use in a prevouse project, but I edited it a little since. I think black and yellow work well. The wings are just placeholders, I borrowed them from a sheet recreating a OoX dungeon item. I'm keeping the black but what do you sugest I do with the yellow? And any comments on the Bomb Flower? And next time you see someone make a sprite, look well before you scuse them of Stealing them!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 04:46:43 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
How dare you acuse me of stealing! That is beneath me. (Really offended.) I used MC Epona as a base, not a Fan Epona. It useto be an Epona I was going to use in a prevouse project, but I edited it a little since. I think black and yellow work well. The wings are just placeholders, I borrowed them from a sheet recreating a OoX dungeon item. I'm keeping the black but what do you sugest I do with the yellow? And any comments on the Bomb Flower? And next time you see someone make a sprite, look well before you scuse them of Stealing them!

Is that an edit of Master Yoshi's horse?

I believe I asked the question first, and then provided an example of why it would be assumed as such <_<;; Either way; you need to specify edit or no instead of claming things as your own work. Even if it's an edit of the MC epona, it's not your work. Doesn't matter who it belongs to first, fact being it's always best to specify regardless.

Example- I edit lttp's Armos and make a thread claiming I made a sprite. Did I really make it? Or did I edit it? If you edited another sprite, you should specify that in your starting post. "I used MC Epona as a base" should have been specified before you asked for input on "your" work.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:53:59 am by Mamoruanime »
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 04:55:58 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I'm keeping the black but what do you sugest I do with the yellow?

If you're keeping the yellow, try to add a little more contrast to it (darker shading color)?

And any comments on the Bomb Flower?

The top of it (green part) is outlined, the middle (blue bomb part) seems to match ok with the top part, but the bottom (green grass/plant part?) is more blurred looking (not very dark outline). Look at the green on top and on the bottom; it doesn't seem to match. Try a little more contrast on the bottom part and it's good imo.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:57:46 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 05:07:44 am »
If you're keeping the yellow, try to add a little more contrast to it (darker shading color)?
Okay, so I recolored the yellow and think it might be a little too dark...

The top of it (green part) is outlined, the middle (blue bomb part) seems to match ok with the top part, but the bottom (green grass/plant part?) is more blurred looking (not very dark outline). Look at the green on top and on the bottom; it doesn't seem to match. Try a little more contrast on the bottom part and it's good imo.
Okay so I did a verry small edit on the Bomb Flower so it matches a little more. What do you think?
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 05:09:36 am »
I don't know, Epona with wings is like My Little Pony.
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 05:11:09 am »
It was Epona on one of my scrapped project, now i'm making it an overworld enemy.

Ethelon

Awesome Resized Avys
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 05:29:05 am »
I'm still confused. I'm pretty sure Mammy provided proof about the whole epona thing. And I'm not sure how your sprite looks like the MC epona: http://sdb.drshnaps.com/objects/7/1174/Sprite/MC-MalonTalonEponaGorman.png

You probably do without the "how dare you" business either... we wouldn't have brought it up if they weren't that similar.

Btw... how would a horse work as an enemy?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:32:23 am by Ethelon »

Xfixium: "Leader"/Lead Programmer/Lead Spriter,  Cypras: Programmer, Ethelon: Tiler/Spriter, Darklink45: Spriter, Noseblunt3: Spriter,

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 05:33:10 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Well, my image was to show how exactly it matches up with the other Epona; in terms of outline for the head and legs, it's pretty much perfect. The areas where it's different are (obviously) so because of there being no saddle, so the sprite looks expanded, and modified. Even shading is pretty much the same, with the exception of a few "blended" areas. The contrast between the actual sprite and elements like the legs furthest away from the camera and the wings is too much, considering they're done in an entirely different manner (the main horse is much more smooth looking, whereas the areas mentioned are way too hard edged). My point was pretty much that it is an edit regardless of what it's an edit from. No matter how you slice it. It's just pretty strange that I can take the head off this sprite and it fits on the other epona perfectly, along with the hind legs.
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 05:38:05 am »
Wow, you people can't handle being wrong can you. Yes I used Epona from MC as a base. I altered it a lot. However, it is not taken from another fan.
Btw... how would a horse work as an enemy?
What do you mean?
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 05:40:13 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Okay, so I recolored the yellow and think it might be a little too dark...
... I did a verry small edit on the Bomb Flower so it matches a little more. What do you think?

I've attached an edit to help show what I meant by "contrast". I didn't mean to darken it so much. I just meant that the yellow needed more dark and bright to show contrast between the yellow shades. I know it's really crappy, but you should at least get an idea from it. Also, I admit that the yellow in my edit is overdone. Something in between your dark one and my light one should be good.

Also, I edited the bomb flower's base because it was a little too pillow-shaded. Tip: When shading, always look at the sprite as if there is a light source. If it's an edit, determine where the light is coming from and shade accordingly. With that said, my edit probably still needs help, but hopefully it gives you something to work on.

Note: My edit of the wings on the horse are extremely terrible. Sorry.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:41:48 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 05:55:56 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Wow, you people can't handle being wrong can you. Yes I used Epona from MC as a base. I altered it a lot. However, it is not taken from another fan.

It's just odd that the only thing that matches up from MC epona is the eyes, whereas the rest of it can easily be pieced together to match the outline from RFO's epona (as shown in my image), and even be used as a replacement head/legs/etc without any troubles. I'm just saying it's a bit suspicious is all, especially given that you've had another sprite thread in which you asked people to critique your work (that was actually someone elses).

Aside from all of that-

I don't think a horse as an enemy is a good idea. Link doesn't usually fight real world animals :p

Ethelon

Awesome Resized Avys
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 06:06:23 am »
^At least consider his points....

And like he said, real world animals just don't fit the zelda feel. Horses just run around really...

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 06:21:13 am »
In terms of it attacking we were thinking of it fying above you and charging at you with its hooves. But remember, this is jsut an extra overworld enemy we are making. (Abvoisly the place were we will put this monster won't by a happy area.) Link fights Moblins (pigs), Deku Babas (flowers), River Zoras (fish), Deku Scrubs (trees), & Keaton (Fox/Kitsune). And you understand were this is going. Almost every enemy in zelda is either based on mythes like Goblins, or real animals like Foxes, or both.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 77 queries.