Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: [ABANDONED - All data released] Spirit's Quest  (Read 49998 times)

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit's Quest
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 09:12:08 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I like how it looks like so far, but I don't like platforming so much :/

Why don't you like platforming games so much? Is there any way I might change your mind with this game? I guess I can't make everyone happy (and this makes me sad D:).
It just seems like everyone else is doing MC style or ALttP, and I wanted to be more original so I went for a platforming style instead. I also didn't want to use anything ripped* and I'm better at spriting for platform games anyway. Plus, some of my favorite childhood games were platformers (the original Jazz Jackrabbit FTW!). :p

*I did use Cave Story's main character as a base for my Link character. But the only things that remained the same are the eyes and the head's form... which make up about half of the character, lol. I do plan to point that out in the game's credits to give credit where credit is due (to Pixel's game, Cave Story).
  • My Music
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 05:56:38 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Here ya go! ^,^
A WIP update of the Midnight Forest Tileset:

Note: Notice how pale Link seems to be against these tiles? Yeah, palette changes will come, just not yet. Also, this is a midnight theme, so Link probably seems brighter than he usually would.

I kinda scratched the way I planned to do grass. I decided that all tall grass should be cuttable, and thus, it will not be part of the tiles but it will be part of the sprites. Also, I plan on having the grass animated (wind effects). I also plan to have the grass grow back somewhat randomly in "grow spots". Sort of what Darklight suggested. I mean, I can, so why the heck not? :p

If all goes as planned (which hasn't seemed to be the case lately D:<) I should have a video of the camera/view engine posted by the end of the week, and it will use this tileset (gotta have something to look at for a view test ya know. Plus I'm in a spriting mood ;D).
  • My Music
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 07:51:13 pm »
Well, for Quote it's fitting, since he's a robot. Since Link's human, some flesh tone is definitely warranted.

I forgot to say, the tiles look great. I like your use of blue/yellow in the stars and moon.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:35:41 pm by Nabeshin »

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 08:10:22 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Looks pretty sweet!

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 07:26:40 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
     I just started coding the camera view engine about 10 minutes ago and I had a problem (already!?) with scaling x2 causing weird glitches in the tiles. I fixed it pretty fast though, but it should have worked with the way I was doing it before. But it's Game Maker, so it's to be expected. :-\

I've attached a screen to show some of the functions I'll be coding. I'm hoping to post a gmk of it once I get everything coded and commented properly. This engine test will show how to make a nice fluid-like moving view. It will also show how to do pausing (prep for the inventory engine) and how to do a simple (yet sexy) quake effect, as well as some other little things. Really, it's pretty basic stuff, but I think it should be helpful for the average GML user. I'm commenting it up pretty good too. :P

Though it's simple, it's still going a little slower than it should because I'm having to familiarize myself with GML once again, since I haven't really used Game Maker for a few years (oh noes!). So yea, I'm a little rusty, but it's all coming back to memory really fast so progress should pick up real quick.

After this, I start on the core platform engine. Now THAT will be much more complex and extremely frustrating. I'm really getting into the coding spirit though, so I can't wait to tackle it head on! ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:28:47 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 07:34:06 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
XD you totally ganked my quake effect!

Looking nice so far :p
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 08:26:08 am »
Nice, I see the tiles are coming along well!
Yeah, gamemaker's scaling system is slightly screwed, I made a scaling system that could be changed by the user a while back, and it had annoying stretched lines and such. I think I got around the problem by stretching it 1 pixel more than twice the original size, and it wasn't so apparent then.

Yep, I found my gmk. The view in room was 320x240, while the port on screen was 641x481. That fixed the tile glitches.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 07:31:59 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
XD you totally ganked my quake effect!

Nah. I did a quake effect in Super Bash Bro's Ultimate, and that was years ago. In truth, I had already thought about it in my planning process, because there are certain items that need the quake effect. For example: Bombs will shake the screen a little bit, but there will be "other" uses for the quake effect as well... or did you mean the name? If so, then yes, I totally ganked the name "quake effect". 6,6

The view in room was 320x240, while the port on screen was 641x481. That fixed the tile glitches.

I'm keeping the port the same as the view because it's the port that seems to have the issues. I'm just using scaling (to 200%), which seems to be working without tile glitches.

Ok, here's a semi-sad update. My computer has been having major issues due to some kind of virus (possibly multiple viruses). I've tried tons of different things, with wiping my hard drive and reinstalling as being my last resort. Anyway, I finally got smart and downloaded the 30-day trial version of Norton 2010 and it has found and killed about 6 trojans and a couple other things. I'm hoping it has gotten rid of the problem(s).

What was happening was that, after having my computer on for a while, it would eventually act like it ran out of memory and nothing would open. Here's the sad part: It happened when I was working on my camera view engine and I lost most of my data because Game Maker crashed before I could save again. The good news is that I can do it all again pretty easily and fast. I'm just wanting to make sure I've got this thing fixed before I really start hardcore into it again.

I guess it's also a happy update, because, if Norton fixed this, then I should be getting a lot more done. Lately, I've been doing mostly sprites because my graphics programs seemed to work fine for the most part, unless I closed them, then I couldn't open them again.

Anyway, I see that my game has been nominated for PotM! XD However, I honestly don't think I should or will win this time around, but next month? Heck yea! I expect to get some major progress in on my project next month. Also, if this virus is gone, I should have the "Camera View Engine Test" uploaded on here by the end of tomorrow. It will be in gmk format of course, so that anyone that has Game Maker 8 can open it up and check out how the code works. (Note: I will make an executable version as well, for those of you that don't have Game Maker 8.)
  • My Music

Ethelon

Awesome Resized Avys
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 10:18:44 pm »
Man how did I miss this.
Looking great FF, I just think maybe the character could be outlined or something so it's easier to see.

Xfixium: "Leader"/Lead Programmer/Lead Spriter,  Cypras: Programmer, Ethelon: Tiler/Spriter, Darklink45: Spriter, Noseblunt3: Spriter,
SinkinDevil: Spriter, Dotyue: Spriter, Tompel: Tiler/Spriter, 
Mamoruanime: Tiler, DJvenom: Spriter
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 12:45:23 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Man how did I miss this.
Looking great FF, I just think maybe the character could be outlined or something so it's easier to see.

An important rule that I'm following is this: All of the sprites/objects (characters, items, enemies, etc) will be lighter colored than the tiles and backgrounds. Objects are more important than the tiles and they should stand out more (it also has top do with depth). I've noticed that's often the way it is done in games that has similar graphical style. Anyway, that will help greatly in making things easier to see. So I will not be outlining anything, but it will look fine in the end. Don't worry.

But I'm guessing that you're talking about the graphic I've posted on the first page which shows various actions of Link? I realized that it is hard to see Link against the background if you are using the default theme and not the Midnight theme (which I use all the time). The same goes for my current avatar. But in-game, the graphics will be easy to discern, even without outlining. However, right now I'm more focused on putting some kind of demo out, so I'm trying to focus on more on coding the game than fixing up the graphics.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

My computer is not fixed. D: Though Norton found viruses on my PC and fixed them, I think damage has already been done that cannot be fixed without a complete HDD wipe and a fresh install of windows. Of course, before I do that, I am gathering only the my most important personal files (including the data I have for Spirit's Quest), scanning them for viruses, then burning them to a dvd for transfer to my fresh install. This means that I'm still busy trying to fix my computer before I can resume progress on Spirit's Quest.

From looking at info on the viruses in Norton, it seems that I got multiple viruses from my last LAN party back in early February, after doing some file sharing. It's not a huge surprise, especially since I had to disable all of my protective software during that time. I only had AVG (free version) at that time too, and that program sucks something heavy. I'll have to be more careful from now on.

On the bright side: It's always nice to have a fresh install of windows. ;)
  • My Music
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 03:01:08 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
     Alright, I finally got Windows reinstalled and all my programs and most everything are back to normal. So I got a little progress in on my view engine test. I made a really crappy video for you guys, just because I felt like I needed to show something. I would've used my video recording software, but I haven't installed that just yet, so I was stuck with my little PowerShot camera.. I really apologize for the quality, and I promise that future videos will be a heck of a lot better.

This is still a very early test, so it doesn't really show much of what I'm trying to accomplish just yet. I know it looks like crap right now, but it will get that fluid-like movement in very soon:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW1jY_wmcrU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW1jY_wmcrU</a>

Basically, what I've done is implemented the pause function and coded most of the basic code. I've also generated a background of stars and I've begun to code how they will move with the view (not finished on that yet, it will soon look a lot more polished). Also, the focused object (the thing in the middle of the screen) will not always be fixed in the middle like that. I'm beginning to code the good stuff right now, so you'll see. ;)

One thing I didn't show in the video was that the view can switch it's focused object. If you can't tell, it is always focused on object "1", but it can also switch to the "2" and "3", and I also plan to have another focus object ("4") that circles the moon, so that the view engine will have the ability to focus on things in the background (which could be useful). This means that the moon would not always remain in the top-right corner... that is cooler than it sounds btw. Just trust me on that. :p

I should have more soon, though it might not come until tomorrow because I have to work early. :(
  • My Music
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 05:00:12 pm »
What's this? No responses yet?
Look very nice FrozenFire. The tiling also seems along quite a bit.
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 05:32:29 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
This is looking great.  I am excited to try it.  I am actually liking the graphic style quite a bit.
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 09:46:59 pm »
Looks really well. Aren't you almost ready to put this topic over to the WIP section? I do have another question, are you planning to let the background with the moon scroll as well?

What I mean is that when you go to the right in a level that the moon goes slightly left at a much slower pace than the other layers. An the same for going left that the moon goes to the right and going up and down would result in the moon going down and up respectively.

You catch my drift or am I rambling something incomprehensible again.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 11:33:21 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
It's way back there; I was thinking it could've been a perspective thing, but I could be rambling as well.

Rambling is fun. *listens to Ramble On by Led Zeppelin*

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2010, 05:36:10 am »
Looks really well. Aren't you almost ready to put this topic over to the WIP section? I do have another question, are you planning to let the background with the moon scroll as well?

What I mean is that when you go to the right in a level that the moon goes slightly left at a much slower pace than the other layers. An the same for going left that the moon goes to the right and going up and down would result in the moon going down and up respectively.

You catch my drift or am I rambling something incomprehensible again.
What you're talking about is parallax scrolling, and I thought that'd be good too.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2010, 07:16:06 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
There are some fun things you can do with camera movement. Namely making your focus object have this in it's step event-

Move_towards_point(target,distance_to_object(objplayer)/focusspeed)

target being your player, or anything you want to pan to
focusspeed being the amount you divide the speed by. The more you divide, the slower it moves :p
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2010, 07:19:55 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Aren't you almost ready to put this topic over to the WIP section?
I'd like to finish the View Engine Test and begin working on the Basic Platform Engine Test before I move it, but yes I am "almost" ready.

I do have another question, are you planning to let the background with the moon scroll as well?
... I thought that'd be good too.

Of course! Like I said, that video is very early. Actually, I've been recoding how the background is drawn in order to prep for that. I struggled for about 10 minutes as I tried to figure out how to make the randomly generated stars scroll properly with the view because they kept scrolling past the room's border (while the view stayed inside, of course). It ended up being that I had the code in the wrong place (I forgot the GM process order, lol). Also, it took me a while before I got smart and started using debug, which has been a major help in revealing those small problems that seem to otherwise evade me.

Anyway, sorry that progress has been kind of slow. I keep finding ways to revise the code as I go along.

There are some fun things you can do with camera movement. Namely making your focus object have this in it's step event-

Move_towards_point(target,distance_to_object(objplayer)/focusspeed)

target being your player, or anything you want to pan to
focusspeed being the amount you divide the speed by. The more you divide, the slower it moves :p

LOL, yep, I'm getting there. ;)
  • My Music

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2010, 02:47:49 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Another thing you haaaavvveeee to do is add some Zelda 2 enemies to this D:

Would be amazing.
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2010, 03:59:24 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
IT'S AN UPDATE ^,^ !

New video, and you may see it in HD if you wish (I recommend 720p at least). It demonstrates switching between focused objects, looking around, smoother view movements, parallax scrolling for the moon and stars, the quake effect, etc:

(btw, I also recommend that you see it in full screen; very small here)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRjZ-3pT56U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRjZ-3pT56U</a>

I have everything coded. I'm just polishing it up a bit. Any questions, thoughts, concerns? I'm planning to upload the final View Engine Test and move this topic to WIP sometime before Monday night, but Easter is looking to be a little busier than I expected with family and stuff.

Another thing you haaaavvveeee to do is add some Zelda 2 enemies to this D:

Would be amazing.

For sure! But, which ones are you wanting? I'm taking pretty much any enemy ideas. In fact, if anyone feels like spriting an enemy for this game, feel free to do so. If it matches the graphical style well, I will most-likely be able to use it. Anyway, I'll put up more info on things like that later.

EDIT:
Btw, I know the music doesn't really fit that well with the video, but I actually made the music about a year ago and it's the only Zelda music I've made so far, so I had to put it in (music in the last vid is not mine.. probably should have pointed that out before, oops D:).

EDITx2:
Crap, I should have pointed this out long before as well. My trees are also temporary as THEY ARE CRYSTALIS EDITS:

They are only placeholders, as are any bats you may have seen (which are from Cave Story), and if not everyone knows, Link was based off of the main character from Cave Story (named Quote), though that one is a heavy edit with many new custom frames of animation. And with that, I think I've got it all covered. Oh, also, like I said, the music in the first video (the crappy one) is not mine either. The rest is completely my own custom stuff from scratch. Any placeholders are planned to be replaced with my very own custom graphics. I just needed something to help get my project going; from now on, I shouldn't have any need for placeholders... I think. If I do use other game's/people's graphics as placeholders, I'll be sure to point them out from now on.

EDITx3:
I just realized that I didn't make the focus objects move at all. The number 2 is supposed to stay in place, the 3 is supposed to move through the forest a little, and the 4 is supposed to go in circles. Really though, it's all pretty pointless testing.

Btw, (random piece of code here) I do the quake effect with this:
Code: [Select]
if quakey < 0 {quakey = +(abs(quakey/1.25))} else {if quakey > 0 {quakey = -(abs(quakey/1.25))}};Well, pretty much anyway, besides starting the quake going (quakey = number) and adding it to the view_yview position. Dunno, just felt like throwing a piece of code out there. ;p
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:12:49 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 75 queries.

anything