Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: [DEMO] Zelda: Just Beginning  (Read 27052 times)

mit

[DEMO] Zelda: Just Beginning
« on: September 05, 2007, 08:01:01 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.

Kousou Games Presents

The demo has finally arrived.

Windows XP Version: Download (6.07 mb Zipped).
Windows Vista Version: Download (6.50 mb Zipped).

Press F1 to open the settings menu, F4 to go straight to graphics settings, and F3 for controls (supports joypads).

About

The demo has one dungeon, with puzzles, bosses and bad guys, most of the engine is complete and about half of the items are in there. The dungeon won't be in the final game, this is a sort of "prequel" to the main game. There's a special reward for completing it without dying, which I think you'll all like :D Also, a special signature will be awarded to the first person to work out how to get the compass (you can prove you got it by posting a screenshot of the map).

We're offering cameos to the people of the zelda fan site Just Zelda, so if you want one, you'll have to join there.

We don't want to spoil the story too much for everyone, but the game, as the name might suggest, is meant to be the first in the Zelda timeline. You start off as a farmboy wanting to prove to everyone his courage, but as you set off on an adventure you soon discover the truth about the recent battles in the east. And it becomes clear to you that although a war is on the horizon, the chaos is just beginning... and the only one who can save the day is you.

Screenshot Gallery

Link checks his hair is okay by
gazing at his reflection

Link fails to seduce this subrosian

Link resists the urge to jump in and
cook

Link disapproves of free range hens
and ensures the cuccos are locked
up, their entire life

Link's not doing anything dirty in
the grass

Link's so cold his balls have gone
blue

Support Us!

You can put this in your signature. We'll update it the meter as the game progresses.

Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.kousougames.co.uk/games/LoZ_-_Just_Beginning.php][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/AtriusV/Just%20Zelda%20game/JZgame_banner.png[/img][/url]

Credits

Created by Kousou Games.

Programming
was all done by Atrius, although in the older screenshots, the "lighting engine" was made by GearGOD.

Level Design was lead by mitxela, emkay and Atrius designed areas too.

Storyboarding and most of the scripting was by mitxela

The JZ logo, the only graphic
not made/ripped by us

Music
Title Screen
Main Zelda theme, sequenced/arranged by mitxela.

Outside area
"Doodle" Sequenced by mitxela.

Dungeon Music
Based off "Level 6: Face Shrine" from Link's Awakening.
Sequenced by Teck (Don Brislan) and FireMario (syo_axenn@hotmail.com).
Arranged by mitxela.
Boss - phase 1
"Tower of flames" from Zelda: Four Swords Adventures.
Sequenced by Andy Smith.

Boss - phase 2
"Puppet Gannon #3 - Snake Form" from Zelda: Wind Waker.
Sequenced by Jordan D.

Boss - phase 3
Sequenced by mitxela. Based on a work by Dave Phaneuf.

Sound Effects nearly all came from HelpTheWretched's collection.

And of course credit to nintendo for all the graphics, music, story, idea, inspiration, etc. that we 'stole.'
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 10:52:07 pm by TomPel »
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
Re: [DEMO] Zelda: Just Beginning
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 08:52:13 pm »
I'm about to start playing - and this is a game I've been wanting to play for a long time. So far, the screens look great, and I can tell you've put work into this. Keep it up!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 09:25:47 pm »
Christ! This is good, the subtle effects like the water really make it good. Awesome! Awesome stuff :P

Seeing stuff like this makes me think about how crappy my games are XD

mit

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 09:31:34 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
Thanks n__n

There're options in the ini file to turn effects off if you want, in case people want a "true GB" feeling. But most people probably want the effects :)
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 09:35:07 pm »
Yeah man, those effects are awesome. The Dodongos are hard though. And the boss too...you aren't giving enough hearts though  :-\

Great game man, you gotta let me in on this  XD
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 09:57:51 pm by Kleaver »
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 10:14:35 pm »
This game is fantastic! :D
One of the best games I ever played from ZFGC.
The music is impressive, the visual effects are very good and the gameplay is excelent.
Congratulations!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 10:45:15 pm »
  • Fear my Blades
Kleaver, If we're giving you a 'prize' for beating it without dying there's got to be some challenge to it  ;)  As for the dodongos, have you tried provoking them?

Thanks for the good reviews Kleaver, and sjegtp!  Hope you enjoy it Scooternew.

I'm sorry you can't try it Sol, it would be impossible to convert it to GM 5.3 now as it uses surfaces for several things.

Ah... We'd completely forgotten about that part of GM 7's EULA, if required we'll take down the link for the Vista compatible version.

There are a few settings that I didn't manage to put in the menus quite yet, if you want to change them you can do so by opening the .ini file the game creates in a text editor.

Here's a description of the settings:
Graphics

In the in-game menu

_Fullscreen = Whether the game should run in full screen mode, (0=false 1=true, default 0)
_SetDisplayResolution = Whether the game should set the screens resolution (0=false 1=true, default 0 only applies if full screen is enable) Sets it to 320x240 since thats the closest commonly supported resolution to the games resolution, the game will then be centered on the screen at 1X scale.
_WindowScale = The scale of the game window if not in full screen mode (1 through 4, default 1)
_ScreenDistortionsEnable = Whether distortion effects should be used (0=false 1=true, default 1)
_ScreenDistortionsGrid = The size of the distortion effects grid, and therefore the effects quality (2 4 8 16 32, default 16, suggested 8 )  The lower the grid size the better the quality, you can quickly ruin performance during a distortion effect by increasing this though.  Although 32 is an option, it's so bad you can't set it to 32 using the in-game menu.

Not in the in-game menu

_AdvancedParticlesEnabled = Whether to use the advanced fire & explosion effects.  If this is disabled they'll revert to GB style except for the fire on the title screen. (0=false 1=true, default 1)
_WaterAdvancedEnabled = Whether to use the advanced water system.  If this is disable water will revert to GB style (0=false 1=true, default 1)
_WaterDistortionsEnabled = This one is difficult to explain...  Basically with it enabled reflections and things seen below water will appear more blurred where there are ripples (0=false 1=true, default 0)
_WaterReflectionsEnabled= Whether water reflections are enabled (0=false 1=true, default 1) In this demo the only thing that will be reflected is the player.

Audio

None of these are in an in-game menu

_MusicVolume = The volume of music in the game (0-1 default .9) Applies for the title screen as well.
_HeadphonesSoundPanning = While I was testing the game with headphones it seemed that sounds were panned to the left & right too extremely, with this enabled panning is dampened a bit.  (0=false 1=true, default 0)
_MusicReverb = Whether to apply a slight reverb effect to the music, the music is all midi format so I was looking for a way to 'enhance' it just a bit (0=false 1=true, default 1)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 10:50:58 pm by Atrius »

I've done it (sorta)!  Bloom Lighting in GameMaker, and 3D mode too!  Check out the awesome Screen Saver.
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 11:01:40 pm »
On another note:

Also, that last boss battle phase is IMPOSSIBLE, simply impossible.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 11:11:51 pm by Kleaver »
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 11:57:16 pm »
holy !@#$% a competent zelda engine.
really impressive stuff, I've only played for a few minutes, but everything seems very professional and polished.

only thing I'm not really feeling is the fact that it's in gameboy style, I'll assume this is because it's the easiest/simplest style, and you don't want to risk a more detailed style to slow down or perhaps cease development.
if that's the case, I can understand.. but I think you've gotten to a point where your engine is so polished, that the graphics really don't live up to it.

Still, at least you've handled GB as one should without shitty re-colours etc

I look forward to seeing what comes from this
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 12:15:02 am »
  • Fear my Blades
Good job Kleaver, but I'm sorry, someone has already claimed the prize for getting the compass first.  Hmm... For the boss I'm guessing you're having trouble dodging his attack, you need to use an item to do it.  The boss phases were chosen specifically to make it so you need every item you get to beat it.

Glad you're impressed .TakaM.  You've guessed the exact reason for why we chose that style, ahh... but you might not like some of the visual effects we're experimenting with.  Luckily they can nearly all be disabled because we knew some people wouldn't.  Some of them aren't in the options menu yet, so you'll need to edit the .ini settings file the game creates directly.  I explained all of the settings a few posts up.

I've done it (sorta)!  Bloom Lighting in GameMaker, and 3D mode too!  Check out the awesome Screen Saver.
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 12:21:26 am »
That's not possible Atrius.  XD
Also, a special signature will be awarded to the first person to work out how to get the compass (you can prove you got it by posting a screenshot of the map).

And I know you need the Roc's Feather to dodge his attacks, but even so, you only have 3 hearts - providing you did not lose anything in the first 2 phases of the boss. And there is no way to regain any hearts. It's just a shame. A demo should not be that hard.

But the effects are still great. Engine could still use tweaking at some points :P But it looks very solid, very little glitches.
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 07:33:39 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
Sorry kleavs, but Laigonaz beat you to the chase D:
Anyway, I've been waiting for this for a long time, and no disappointment.

moree

Bizon-Ent.com
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 09:35:03 am »
  • N/A
The boss is great! :)

How much lives does the final form has? I hit him 4 time.. or was it 3..

edit: never mind, I played out the demo XD
It was great!

And the best part is: I have the feeling that I realy gained something here (and that's a good thing)
My hands are still shaking though :D

Job wel done I say! :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 09:43:18 am by moree »

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 09:56:19 am »
Aww, heck no. The boss-fight is just... wow.

Anyway, yeah. Just tried the game again, and it's, with one word, magnificent. Though there are probably a lot of similar words to describe it. Though the GB-style-with-special-effects is weird at first, I got used to it pretty quickly and it's not all THAT weird after all. The gameplay is fun, pretty much. My only complaint would have been that the key assignment is bad, but as it would appear, that can be modified - thanks to the .ini-file which is a splendid idea too.

This is a game that makes it worth visiting the developement-boards. Good job!
  • Me on deviantART

Koh

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 10:12:38 am »
  • Tamer Koh
Well done :D.  I've waited long for this, and I've finally got to play;.  All that work you guys put into it paid off.  I want to learn from this ;).  Best Zelda engine I've seen so far.  You know were rivals now, because you invaded the GB area XD.  j/k.  Nice job.  Still didn't finish though.
  • Megaclipse Games

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 12:16:01 pm »
Oh, two more things. Firstly, there's a problem with the music. When I left the dungeon and rapidly entered it again, the overworld-music played and didn't stop, even though I was still in the dungeon. You need to work on that. 8D

Secondly, I still don't like the name "Shuriken"-bomb. I mean, Zelda is not a Ninja-game or something lol. Just go with... Sticker-Bomb, Grabbler-Bomb, Sting-Bomb, Spike-Bomb or something. (The CD-i-reference made me laugh though. Classic).
  • Me on deviantART

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 12:32:25 pm »
Good job Kleaver, but I'm sorry, someone has already claimed the prize for getting the compass first.  Hmm... For the boss I'm guessing you're having trouble dodging his attack, you need to use an item to do it.  The boss phases were chosen specifically to make it so you need every item you get to beat it.

Sorry Kleaver, I was the one who got the prize.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 02:47:00 pm »
  • Captain Banana
Unbelievable good. It almost makes me stop my GB fangame, but I won't because mine is real GB, and this is only the graphics style GB. Anyway, everything is polished to the max. Wonderful, I can't wait to see more.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 03:57:58 pm »
I give this game a 10/10
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 05:34:27 pm »
  • Fear my Blades
Kleaver, sorry ZFGC.com wasn't the only place we posted this game, so yeah you can blame Laigonaz for stealing your prize.  Anyway, I've still got quite a few things on my list I want to do, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything so what specifically do you think still needs tweaked in the engine? 

moree, glad it left you with that feeling, I was a little worried the ending might have disappointed people a bit, especially if they didn't get the ending for beating it without dying.

Fox, thanks for pointing out the glitch with the music, I've taken care of it  XD  I hope you aren't trying to change the controls by editing the .ini file itself the in-game menu is much easier (hit F3) Thanks for the compliments, and I'm happy you enjoyed the game so much.  We'll consider changing the name from shuriken-bombs, but no promises.

sirkildar, dlbrooks33, TCGamer, and Laigonaz, thanks for the compliments, and I'm glad you enjoyed the game.

• Kousou Games
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 78 queries.

anything