Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zelda Remixed: WW style  (Read 4729 times)

Zelda Remixed: WW style
« on: January 20, 2009, 05:23:11 am »
I'm planning on making a little medley of zelda songs, and I'm going to put them all in 9/8 time to give them a wind wakerish feel.
I've made about the first 45 seconds of the main wind waker theme, which will be the base of the song. From there I want to blend it to a LLTP darkworld theme in 9/8, which sounds awesome in my head :D.
Therefore, I bring you the first 45 seconds of my piece :).
http://www.box.net/shared/eraslpfduu
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
Re: Zelda Remixed: WW style
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:09:52 am »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
I stick by my earlier statements that you are indeed a musical genius.

and the LTTP darkworld in 9/8 sounds good in my head... (It took me a while to sort it out... lol)

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...

D-Pad

A.K.A. Gyrowolf
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 08:09:04 am »
Ah. Loved the music in Wind Waker and can not wait to see where this goes.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 03:27:35 pm »
I don't know if the instruments you used are the same of the original song, but it's sounding quite dissonant... specially when you join those arpeggiated chords, the flute and the violin playing at the same time. Maybe if you diminish the volume of the arpeggiated chords and the violin it could sound better.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 06:35:06 pm »
Yeah, I was going to mention. Love the introduction, sounds very much like an updated Windwaker track, but after that things get rough with the competition between the flute and fiddle with the countermelodies kind of clashing against each other. Some background harmonies near the end seem sliiiiightly dissonant but I expect it's just a result of the competing melodies.
I would sort out the flute and fiddle tracks before moving onto the dark world.. although I'm looking forward to that :p
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 06:13:09 am »
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm aware that the two melodies together didn't sound quite as good as I'd hoped, so I will get around to fixing them before I move on to the next part :D. Still early WIP though.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 02:33:46 am »
Update from the grave :P
I found the piece the other day while looking through my old projects, and I've started work on it again. I sorted out the flute and fiddle and the darkworld has now been added.
http://www.box.net/shared/nilg8fhbl7
Now I've just got to decide what song to blend to next...
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 01:19:43 pm »
The original 4/4 LttP Darkworld theme in 9/8 sounds cool, but it sounds like it's missing a few notes...

What about the Gerudo theme in 9/8 now? XD
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 01:21:00 pm »
I don't really have an ear for music, but how do you know if something is in Wind Waker style.

The Wind Waker intro is really nice. The Dark World I don't know. I've hard time really noticing the theme. Maybe it is me, but the instance ending doesn't good either. I still have the idea that the Dark World theme is starting when it ends. I thought there was another part to the theme.

For a next part you could do Hyrule Castle from ALttP or the Temple of Time from OOT.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 01:25:28 pm »
I thought there was another part to the theme.
Actually that's only the 1st part out of the 3 parts of that theme.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 02:59:02 pm »
I knew, I missed something.

Scrappersa

Lamar Odom
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 03:10:54 am »
I like the first one, because the intro sounds really beautiful with the harp and the flute. But I LOVE the second part where everybody says it starts to sound dissonant. I don't think it's that dissonant at all, but I do love dissonance.

Also, I wanted to ask. The Wind Waker songs are in 9/8? That's pretty cool. I would never have realized it.

I just heard the updated one. That's an awesome change. What program are you using to make these?
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 05:53:46 am »
Thanks guys :). Sjegtp - Yeah, it does miss out a few notes to keep the triplet feel, I could have written it with all the notes but then it'd just sound the same as the 4/4 version, only it'd confuse the hell out of me trying to read 4 beats and work out where they fall over 9 beat bars XD
Niek - It's not finished yet, that's only the first part of the darkworld theme, like sjegtp said :P I was actually debating whether or not to turn it straight for the next part of the theme then go back to triplets, it'd be an interesting contrast.
Scrappersa - I suppose it's the listener, but I didn't really notice the dissonance myself until it was pointed out. That's what happens when you think to highly of your own stuff though, you learn to ignore criticism from your own brain :P. Yes, at least the main theme is in 9/8. Also, if you noticed while playing the game, the wind god's aria and earth god's lyric are actually the two halves of the main theme melody :D.
I use FL studio to make my music. Sweet as program, free updates for life <3
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 05:56:54 am by Darklight »

Scrappersa

Lamar Odom
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 09:02:50 pm »
That's awesome.

Last night, I started to mess around with soundfonts. I had only edited it using the piano in the program, but I actually created a basic background thing using the computer keyboard. I learned a lot last night from going around and reading all of your topics and the other ones in this section. Reminded me of years ago when I would look at all of the GM topics and try and learn all of the tutorials. I'll show you what I came up with if you're interested.
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 06:40:40 am »
That's awesome.

Last night, I started to mess around with soundfonts. I had only edited it using the piano in the program, but I actually created a basic background thing using the computer keyboard. I learned a lot last night from going around and reading all of your topics and the other ones in this section. Reminded me of years ago when I would look at all of the GM topics and try and learn all of the tutorials. I'll show you what I came up with if you're interested.
I'd love to hear it, might be able to give you a few pointers/C+C if it's needed :P

Scrappersa

Lamar Odom
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 08:15:57 am »
Sweet, that would be awesome. Just to clarify, I know it may not sound like it each note is on rhythm, but that's sort of what I was going for. Any advice on where I should go with it, or how the structure of the piece should go would be great.

www.tubbyboots.com/intro.wav

Very fugazi influenced.
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 12:14:01 pm »
Sweet, that would be awesome. Just to clarify, I know it may not sound like it each note is on rhythm, but that's sort of what I was going for. Any advice on where I should go with it, or how the structure of the piece should go would be great.

www.tubbyboots.com/intro.wav

Very fugazi influenced.
1. Don't upload as a wav :P

as for the song, some more chords at about the middle of the piece would help fill out the spectrum a little. If you haven't already check out squidfont orchestral, that's got some pretty nice strings. Strings can be hard to make sound really nice, but they usually do fine even if you don't put a lot of effort into them.
The piece is a bit top heavy at the moment, think of sound as a pyramid. if there's no bottom, the pyramid will fall :P. Some low strings would help.
Pan the instruments a bit and leave them there. One thing to remember making this style of music, most of the time the people don't move whilst they play :D
It seems as if you're going to a bit of a change in the melody, which is good. Variety is the spice of life.
Apart from that, nice job. Hope I helped ;)

Scrappersa

Lamar Odom
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 09:47:02 pm »
Thank you. I appreciate the advice. Do you know if there is a way to actually map out the composition in fruity loops? I feel like if I don't plan out the exact length of a piece, then, whatever I initially recorded is the length it HAS to be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 74 queries.