Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An enchanted forest sounding original  (Read 4337 times)

An enchanted forest sounding original
« on: December 08, 2007, 10:43:39 am »
  • Drop down and give me 9000!
Well I came up with this tune over about 2-3 hours, I ran out of ideas and I'm looking for some feedback :). It sounds like it comes from some RPG, not entirely sure if I've got the right sound yet. Perhaps I need a decent host but this will have to do for now: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=40CPG1QF

I probably should be learning music theory, I seem to everything at random and by ear :P.
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
Re: An enchanted forest sounding original
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 11:47:30 am »
that sounds cool in my opinon. The flute bit is slightly random (an I'm telling you no standard flute'l go that low!) and some of the notes don't seem to fit in right, but hey, the rest is nice. I like the harp :).
As for music theory, I don't know a hell of a lot myself. Heck, I don't even know all the major scale key signatures off the top of my head (but I can work them out reasonably easily). All my stuff is composed by ear.
and as for the host, get something like box.net. I hate waiting to download files :-\.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 12:47:11 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
That guitar.. Did you record that, or is it included in the program you make your music?
Anyways, not bad, though it doesn't seem whole. Can't explain really.
I loved the intro though!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 12:48:48 pm by TomPel »

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 02:25:57 pm »
Sounds very good and original. Some parts have wrong notes, but most of it sounds fine.
If you learn music theory you'll be able to compose faster and more easily and it'll help you choose you harmony correctly.

Whenever you compose something else post here please too :)
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 09:56:56 pm »
that sounds cool in my opinon. The flute bit is slightly random (an I'm telling you no standard flute'l go that low!) and some of the notes don't seem to fit in right, but hey, the rest is nice. I like the harp :).
As for music theory, I don't know a hell of a lot myself. Heck, I don't even know all the major scale key signatures off the top of my head (but I can work them out reasonably easily). All my stuff is composed by ear.
and as for the host, get something like box.net. I hate waiting to download files :-\.

I see what you mean, not everything fits perfectly and I know there's room for improvement but something that was only written in a few hours can obviously be improved on over a much longer period of time ;).
I thought the flute sounded a bit odd, I do stuff by ear too but I'm not familiar with the range of instruments. Thanks for that, I really have no idea with host, I'll have to look into box.net

That guitar.. Did you record that, or is it included in the program you make your music?
Anyways, not bad, though it doesn't seem whole. Can't explain really.
I loved the intro though!
Yes I did indeed record the guitar, it's not that great because I was just improvising, for me to make a good solo I have to come up with something solid over several days. The intro was actually thought of after I played a melody on my acoustic, messing around on my guitars is my favourite way to come up with ideas :).

Sounds very good and original. Some parts have wrong notes, but most of it sounds fine.
If you learn music theory you'll be able to compose faster and more easily and it'll help you choose you harmony correctly.

Whenever you compose something else post here please too :)

I'll keep that in mind, I've actually started teaching myself from a music theory book, even though I knew the basics of notes and how long they went for, I know now them a bit more in depth. I need to learn sheet music, guitar tablature only helps with guitar :P, I really need to study music theory a lot(and learn how to play the piano through reading sheet music) since I have 2 whole months before my final year of highschool :). When I compose something else I'll be sure to post it here =D.
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 10:18:11 pm »
That's pretty cool, and definitly does sound RPG-ish.
The intro reminds me of music from Endless - Online. XD
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 10:34:29 pm »
Thats nice, I've never heard of this Endless - Online, well only the few midis you sent me XD. I'm glad I have the "feel" for this music...I think? As my patience grows I might be able to spend more than a few hours on a song :).
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 12:14:36 am »
and learn how to play the piano through reading sheet music
It's quite practical to learn sheet music using the piano, because the piano has notes organised in a similar way to sheet music.
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 05:59:33 am »
Thats true, well I know where to read middle C :P, doing things by ear is a lot harder when I have never heard the piece that I'm trying to learn, those who naturally read sheet music have no problem. Would it take months/years to fully understand this and be able to do it naturally?
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 06:10:03 am »
if you really want to know what the range of a standard closed G# key concert pitch (C) flute is with the C footjoint (not the B footjoint) is, it is from C5 (middle C) to E8 (E in the 8th octave) in the treble clef.
Mabye I'm just getting too technical because I play flute ;).
anyway good luck with learning some theory. The best place to start would be learning the names of notes and their lengths, clefs, time signatures, key signatures and rests.
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 06:42:57 am »
Thanks heaps, that really helps a lot because my music program has C5 etc next to their note when I'm in piano roll, whenever I decide to compose a song that includes instruments I am not familiar with I guess all I need to do is research its range. A 6-string guitar in standard tuning has a range of E3 to E7, but since I actually record with it I can only play with the limits, however with the violin, harp and flute I don't understand the limits, knowing them will help heaps :D.
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 10:21:33 am »
I already guessed you use FLStudio. I use it too XD. The harp sf2 you have is the same as mine, and the flute.
I'm not sure about violin or harp...
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 11:45:52 am »
Actually I don't use FLStudio XD, I use Cakewalk Music Creator 3 :P. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on FLStudio, but I don't have the money. I just use some vst called sfz so that I can use soundfonts. I use 3 soundfonts: GeneralUser GS 1.4, FluidR3 GM and RealFont 2.3. At the moment I'm relying on those free soundfonts, but I'm glad they do a great job compared to just midi, the guitars aren't great but I don't mind since I can record a real guitar instead :).

The only thing I'm concerned about with FLStudio, does it support tempo changes and different time signatures other than 4/4? I often use 3/4 and sometimes use 5/4 and 7/4 timings in my songs, I've heard it's possible but quite difficult.

I'm quite happy with Cakewalk but there are a few bugs which happen from time to time, but when I have the money I should take a look into FLStudio :).
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 02:30:06 pm »
Thats true, well I know where to read middle C :P, doing things by ear is a lot harder when I have never heard the piece that I'm trying to learn, those who naturally read sheet music have no problem. Would it take months/years to fully understand this and be able to do it naturally?
No, learning sheet music is very fast, it would take... 2 days?
But being able to read it fluently (being able to read in the same speed that you play the song) takes years of practice.
EDIT: And learning music theory takes some months.
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 10:04:34 pm »
^^ what sjegtp said.
you can easily change tempos or time signatures in FL, but you will have to use the playlist, because each pattern can only have one time signature.
and in it there is no bottom number. only the top.
I've never read 7/4, but 3/4, 4/4, and 5/4 are easy. one of my friends has read 11/8 and 13/8/...!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 10:05:23 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
The beginning part is awesome, after that it sounds just a tad weird... it's still really good!
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 10:20:06 pm »
Thanks, I agree about the wierdness, I had a solid intro and I experimented afterwards, a bit spontanious with the harp too I guess, but over time I'll get better :).

^^ what sjegtp said.
you can easily change tempos or time signatures in FL, but you will have to use the playlist, because each pattern can only have one time signature.
I've never read 7/4, but 3/4, 4/4, and 5/4 are easy. one of my friends has read 11/8 and 13/8/...!

Oh thats a relief, I rarely use odd time signatures but sometimes I feel they are necessary. I'm looking at the site now, there's many versions O.o. I'm not sure which one would be best suited for myself. Does it allow me to record audio also?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 10:22:21 pm by HyperKnight32 »
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 05:12:44 am »
easily. I think it does depend on which version you get though. if not just get audacity (it's free, get it now) and record your music there. export it as a wav and import it into FL.
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 06:34:42 am »
Ah I see, I looked through the site and to suit my needs I need at least FL Studio Producer edition plus the soundfont player I think? If it can do everything I need, then I may as well just use it all in one program, Cakewalk is doing me fine for now, but if I get any more bugs I'll definitely want to upgrade to FL Studio ASAP.

As for my song making in cakewalk it can sometimes be a major problem, especially with the midi envelopes, at first the pitch wheel works fine, but for some reason it magically stops working and all bends/pitch changes are ignored, I might have to make all my midis through guitar pro, load them up in synthfont, export as a .wav and then record the guitar with cakewalk or audacity if I need. I have multiple ways of creating my songs through different programs, but I am almost certain FL Studio will not let me down with non-stop problems unlike what I get with my freeware software and cheap music programs.

But this is all good experience since I am learning how to use various programs, so I should be able to adapt to FL Studio after a few hours/days of messing around :P.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 06:37:58 am by HyperKnight32 »
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 03:15:22 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
Thanks, I agree about the wierdness, I had a solid intro and I experimented afterwards, a bit spontanious with the harp too I guess, but over time I'll get better :).

^^ what sjegtp said.

Oh thats a relief, I rarely use odd time signatures but sometimes I feel they are necessary. I'm looking at the site now, there's many versions O.o. I'm not sure which one would be best suited for myself. Does it allow me to record audio also?
Still it's really good. I suggest you try and redo it a little bit and see how it sounds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 77 queries.

anything