Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 52   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer is dead - long live The Shadowgazer!  (Read 386490 times)

Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer (20/7/2...
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2006, 05:47:47 am »
Thanks. I've played the demo of your project. Very slick. Looks promising. The topic doesn't give much away though - do you want to PM me the outline of your story so we can see if we could avoid any similarities? Not that I'm worried about copying, but it might be good for both of us to know we're taking the whole 'sleeping' theme in different directions... 
As for the sprites, there are actually very few custom graphics in the demo itself - couple of subtle edits, but nothing I would claim as mine. So just the items icons, I think... All the custom stuff is under wraps for now.
Thanks. I don't really have anything more than you. Maybe a few more things, but the room is just the view size.

The outline of my story is extremely vague as of now, but I'll see if I can clean it up and PM it to you soon. I was going to have it where you can enter people'ss dreams, but not only nightmares. For example, each dream might be a different area to explore, and nightmares would typically be only dungeons. But, you'd have to explore each dream quickly, for if the person wakes up and you're still in the dream, it's a game over. And, you can't start exploring dreams until you get a certain item, of which I'm not quite sure I want it to be yet. But, I'm planning to make the whole idea complex, for example, there are dreams inside of dreams.

As for your custom sprites, I know that there weren't really any in this demo, but from seeing screenshots, and that banner in your sig (which honestly looks like it was made by Nintendo - really, it looks like it were made by Nintendo's artists, not exaggerating at all) - really gives the impression you are a fantastic artist. Who knows, maybe someday we'll be able to collaborate.

I personally like the bluer tiles for nighttime, and it shouldn't be hard to do it. All you have to do is draw a translucent rectangle on the screen to show it getting darker, and then when it becomes actual night, you can just replace the morning background with the night background tiles, as long as they are organized the same way in the background resource.

Good luck. It'll definitely be interesting to see how this develops. You seem devoted and one of the few intelligent users of Game Maker here, so I have faith that what you want done you can pull off. Keep it up, don't quit, and keep makin' me happy, lol.
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2006, 08:24:25 am »
That demo, although small, was the most detailed I have EVER seen. Also, Mirror 2 is down :/
the a o d c

le sans visage

« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2006, 12:14:53 pm »
It's looking really nice. Certainly the best fangame I've ever seen at ZFGC... or anywhere for that matter.

ttimebomb

« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2006, 11:52:08 pm »
this game is ridiculously crazy!!!!!
awesome theme idea aswell!!!
no kidding if you had posted on this site saying you were a member of nintendo i might have believed you!
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2006, 09:56:57 am »
One of the few games that looks promising.
I like how you added those small details like the shaking tree.
I definitely hope you keep interest in this.

ttimebomb

« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2006, 03:07:14 pm »
i think this guy was secretly hired by nintendo or something... why... but why?
looks incredible!
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2006, 02:44:04 pm »
I am desperately awaiting the next update after having seen it's empty space at Z3. I hope this game pulls through the hardest production stage of all: Step 2: The Main Game Loop.
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2006, 05:13:15 pm »
I am desperately awaiting the next update after having seen it's empty space at Z3. I hope this game pulls through the hardest production stage of all: Step 2: The Main Game Loop.
I'll take your word for it...  :D
Actually, I'm looking forward to your step 2 - when it starts to resemble a game, and not an aimless interactive animation, which is what it feels like at the moment. I'm still spriting/animating for the first dungeon and it's slow going, but I'll post an update soon. I might let myself get sidetracked again and start working on something more interesting to show you...
Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2006, 10:45:45 pm »
Being able to sprite for your OWN game is a great fortune. I wish I had the same.
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2006, 12:10:16 pm »
All you need is practice :). Start with small things and work up from it. Study the human body then sprite it. If you're drawing the face, leave in the spaces for the hair. Hands don't have to be advanced five-finger objects, just draw a skin-coloured blob.

Anyway, King Mob, pleaser of souls, everybody begs for an update. If we don't get an update, we will start a petition asking for an update.

I think I'm gonna faint with the next update (but don't delay the update just so I won't faint!).
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2006, 11:00:56 pm »
  • Elbows deep within the borderline.
Wow! This is an amazing looking game. I played the demo, and I even loved that, although its not much. i will play and beat this game for sure. And by the way, I fyou ever need ideas for anymore of the story, i'm here to help. And I can also help with boss and enimes ideas. And again, this is amazing!
And the world rolls on...

Obsequious Eye

King of Glass
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2006, 08:49:22 pm »
  • Yes, I am mocking you
Extremely well done so far! I can't wait to see the next demo, and see how the plotline develops (heh, I'm a huge fan of plotlines in games - they make you think a lot more)
I'm watching you...
  • Omniscient Eye
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2006, 10:32:59 am »
Screenshots are very nice.
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2006, 12:50:17 am »
There's the 'real' waking world, and there's the dreamlike/nightmarish sleeping world (haven't quite figured out what to call it yet) which Link can reach at any time by climbing into a bed and going to sleep.
Good - because there is a difference in story, here. In my game, you'll be able to hop into people's dreams - and each dream will present a different area to explore, maybe a dungeon, or maybe a room. As I may have said in this topic before, a town I'm planning on making is one in which everything is backwards - even the controls!

Anyway, come back! You've been very inactive lately. I just want to see what is going on with this game.
Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer (2/9/20...
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2006, 12:45:17 pm »
Sorry guys, time for a long overdue update...
Just some screens of my work on the lava dungeon:

Since starting the first dungeon the enormity of the project has really hit me. All the work I'd done so far, like building the engine, was fun because I was doing something new all the time. But it'll always raise a smile from now on when I see someone sprite something in a single forward-facing pose and ask for credit if used. Like it's of any use in a game without a full set of animations...  With the amount of custom mobs I wanted to put in the first dungeon it's just taking ages to animate them - and it's not the most exciting thing to do. So I'm mixing it up a bit, if I get bored with something I'll move on to something else, then when I'm bored of that I'll go back to the other. Keeps me sane but as a consequence nothing is getting finished! Although I did finally complete the up and down animations for the horse, so I guess that's something...!

Not annoying, but still taking up a lot of my time, is the actual design of the dungeon. Trying to make it flow properly without making it  a linear progression of rooms, logical stuff like getting the exchange of keys and locked doors right, and thinking up puzzles - it's fun to do but it's constantly evolving. I had it all sketched out on paper, but that's way out of date, and I've just chopped off a whole wing of the dungeon that was just pointless padding. And at the back of my mind is the thought that I've got several more dungeons to do so I'd better not pour all my ideas into this first one...

So I'm keeping busy, but there's just not much to show for it at the moment. Getting the engine together was like the first obstacle, it's at a stage now when I'm starting to climb the next - transferring all the ideas I have on paper into pixels... So maybe that's what I show you in my next update, some scans from my sketchbook...

Later,

KM

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2006, 02:04:50 pm »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
Sorry guys, time for a long overdue update...
Just some screens of my work on the lava dungeon:

Since starting the first dungeon the enormity of the project has really hit me. All the work I'd done so far, like building the engine, was fun because I was doing something new all the time. But it'll always raise a smile from now on when I see someone sprite something in a single forward-facing pose and ask for credit if used. Like it's of any use in a game without a full set of animations...  With the amount of custom mobs I wanted to put in the first dungeon it's just taking ages to animate them - and it's not the most exciting thing to do. So I'm mixing it up a bit, if I get bored with something I'll move on to something else, then when I'm bored of that I'll go back to the other. Keeps me sane but as a consequence nothing is getting finished! Although I did finally complete the up and down animations for the horse, so I guess that's something...!

Not annoying, but still taking up a lot of my time, is the actual design of the dungeon. Trying to make it flow properly without making it  a linear progression of rooms, logical stuff like getting the exchange of keys and locked doors right, and thinking up puzzles - it's fun to do but it's constantly evolving. I had it all sketched out on paper, but that's way out of date, and I've just chopped off a whole wing of the dungeon that was just pointless padding. And at the back of my mind is the thought that I've got several more dungeons to do so I'd better not pour all my ideas into this first one...

So I'm keeping busy, but there's just not much to show for it at the moment. Getting the engine together was like the first obstacle, it's at a stage now when I'm starting to climb the next - transferring all the ideas I have on paper into pixels... So maybe that's what I show you in my next update, some scans from my sketchbook...

Later,

KM

that is completely Bad@$$ dude, so glad you showed us some progress I kinda felt like I was hung dry =P I like the screenies though rock on. I can't wait until you release some more screenies and possibly a demo, keep up the superb work!
Pixelated Tree. | I make crappy Youtube videos now.
XBL- aaronshatonyou | PSN- cpt ehren | Steam- cptehren
  • Pixelated Tree
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2006, 03:17:06 pm »
WOW!! YAY!! Fantastic! The lava dungeon looks great, I like the tiny details, like the little geysers with the puff of smoke. It's really good, it's really Zelda. If somebody told me that was a beta area from MC, I would totally believe it.

Great work man, keep it coming ;).
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2006, 05:56:39 pm »
  • PWNED
The Game looks SICK!!!!! Its like a real zelda game.ITS SO Eye-gasmic.
any idea of when you'll release a demo?

SPIRITPROJECT.TK ACTIVE FORUM FOR ANIME AND GAMING!
  • Hotpiebob
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2006, 12:09:37 pm »
The Game looks SICK!!!!! Its like a real zelda game.ITS SO Eye-gasmic.
any idea of when you'll release a demo?

There's already a tech demo. Mob's probably gonna release a full demo in a month or something around that. The 1st demo will go as far as Dragon Roost Island was on Wind Waker, around the same amount of gameplay time, he says. That's 20-30mins gameplay, so I don't really care how long it takes... me wants that demo!!
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2006, 06:06:36 pm »
There's already a tech demo. Mob's probably gonna release a full demo in a month or something around that. The 1st demo will go as far as Dragon Roost Island was on Wind Waker, around the same amount of gameplay time, he says. That's 20-30mins gameplay, so I don't really care how long it takes... me wants that demo!!
Whoa there! It certainly won't be ready one month from now! I was thinking more like one year! There's an absolute ton of stuff still to do for the demo, and I was/am working toward getting it all done by the next z3 - assuming that occurs on a similar date next year... Sorry to disappoint, but it's a long way off yet, mate. Thanks for your continued support though. That goes for everyone.  ;D

And I would be very surprised if you could even speed-run that much of WW in 20-30 minutes!  :o
That portion of the game is pretty lengthy... Maybe you're overlooking some stuff. There's a fair bit of running about on Outset, the journey on Tetra's ship, all the sneaking around in the Forsaken Fortress, exploring Windfall, sailing to Dragon Roost island, getting into the dungeon, and then actually completing it... Nah, that takes longer than half an hour, particularly if you're doing it for the first time.
But I think it's a good like-for-like comparison: there will be a couple of villages to explore, a mini-dungeon like the Forsaken Fortress, some travelling... It's fair to say there will be a lot to see and do before you get into the first proper keys 'n' boss dungeon. On your first time through, exploring everywhere and talking to everyone, my best estimate says it'll be more like an hour's gameplay. I want to release something substantial, not little bits here and there, and something that's genuinely representative of the finished game.

Edit:
Freakish coincidence - The Hylia today posted the first part of a WW speed-run, and it takes 22 mins to leave Outset for the first time...  :D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 05:10:18 pm by King Mob »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 52   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 78 queries.

anything