Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: So, I thought I should start on a webcomic...  (Read 6092 times)

Re: So, I thought I should start on a webcomic.....
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 02:12:41 am »
That's quite good.
The first one is rather boring, but I lol'd with the second one.
The images are quite good too... except for the blond guy, his hair looks odd.
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2007, 12:26:01 am »
Erm, details? Advice? How are the graphics bad? What would make them more humurous?

The whole thing looks like it is made in MS Paint (is it?) and it is obvious you used a brush tool. If you took the time to get a good program I would suggest the pen tool. Then the outline on the computer is thinner than the outline on the people. Keep your outline size consistent. As for humor this is a thing I find many comics are not so good at. Your comics along with many have a punchline. That may seem like: Duh! A comic needs a punchline! That's where the funny happens! However, using a punchline pretty much restricts one joke per comic. If you spread out the jokes throughout the comic so people are laughing at each panel then your newest comic could have 6 jokes instead of one joke drawn out. Try having one big joke with a punchline at the end and then little jokes strewn throughout the comic. For an example read Get Fuzzy. Another thing for humor is stylizing your characters. Right now both characters are pretty generic. I may not have any web comics up at the moment but I draw them at my house. An example of a stylized cast of characters would be: A character who is funny and somewhat stupid, a serious character to keep the others in line, and a random character who is dumb as a bucket. That is the three main cast from my comic. Don you take those traits aight? Another thing is making scene changes. You only have a couple comics but I hope you are not planning on having them all at the computer. Right? Scenery change is good and a must have. Improve the shading like others say. Improve the blond guys hair because right now it looks like he could be mistaken as a she. And also the word bubbles are poor. Try making them have bending lines on the part that attaches to the oval.

That's just my two cents since you asked for detail. ;)

Obsequious Eye

King of Glass
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2007, 03:57:29 am »
  • Yes, I am mocking you
Erm, details? Advice? How are the graphics bad? What would make them more humurous?

The whole thing looks like it is made in MS Paint (is it?)

No, GIMP, actually.

and it is obvious you used a brush tool. If you took the time to get a good program I would suggest the pen tool.

Pen tool with a fuzzy outline. Doesn't look good using the mouse otherwise (too wavy - however, I am currently in the act of deciding on a tablet to purchase, so they'll start looking better then).

Then the outline on the computer is thinner than the outline on the people. Keep your outline size consistent.

I will try to do so.

As for humor this is a thing I find many comics are not so good at. Your comics along with many have a punchline. That may seem like: Duh! A comic needs a punchline! That's where the funny happens! However, using a punchline pretty much restricts one joke per comic. If you spread out the jokes throughout the comic so people are laughing at each panel then your newest comic could have 6 jokes instead of one joke drawn out. Try having one big joke with a punchline at the end and then little jokes strewn throughout the comic.

Agreed, however, right now I'm still "introducing" my characters, and I need to establish personalities too. I'll try to do that more as I get into more issues of it.

For an example read Get Fuzzy.

Link? (I'm lazy and busy at the same time...)

Another thing for humor is stylizing your characters. Right now both characters are pretty generic. I may not have any web comics up at the moment but I draw them at my house. An example of a stylized cast of characters would be: A character who is funny and somewhat stupid, a serious character to keep the others in line, and a random character who is dumb as a bucket. That is the three main cast from my comic.

Don't necessarily need. There will be more introduced, but the characters right now are:
  • The semi-smart linux user who happens to be frequently flippant and sardonic, does things on whim then will back them up with logic or by sheer stubborness.Has a weakness for Nintendo's games, and is a bit obsessed with MYST.
  • The Mac-lover to the point of idiocy. If Steve Jobs were to sell a mote of dust for $400 and call it the iDust, he would be out camping in line to buy it. Has rather faulty logic, but occasional bouts of seriousness and/or extreme intellegence.
  • The Super-Intelligent gamer (oxymoron, I know). Graduated from Harvard and has frequent multi-million dollar business deals. However, he has a weakness for all sorts of videogames, and hangs out with the other two solely because he is lonely and they are old high-school friends.
  • The female gamer/artist. She does play videogames, use the internet (that's at least ONE girl on the internet), is a fantastic artist, and has a waspish temper. lives in the apartment upstars to the three previous characters.

How do they sound to you? Each character is believable, and none are extremely stupid, while all have their faults in that direction except for #3 (no names yet! (they have 'em, but I'm not giving them out yet)). #3 is just rather naive in general instead.

Don you take those traits aight? Another thing is making scene changes. You only have a couple comics but I hope you are not planning on having them all at the computer. Right? Scenery change is good and a must have.

That's a definate. Right now they;re all in front of the computer because #1 (linux-obsessed) spends a lot of time glues to it. After the introduction of their faces and identities, as well as other characters, the scenes move away from there.

Improve the shading like others say.

Trying. Haven't gotten around to that bit yet, as I'm also coding and doing the graphics for the site as well. But it's on my "to do" list.

Improve the blond guys hair because right now it looks like he could be mistaken as a she.

Yeah, it's giving me some trouble. It;s supposed to be really short, nearly a crew-cut, but I'm having trouble drawing it...

And also the word bubbles are poor. Try making them have bending lines on the part that attaches to the oval.

Hm? How do you mean?

That's just my two cents since you asked for detail. ;)

That's fine, it was much more helpful. Thanks.

Oh, in the spirit of all this, I do have #3 and #4 up. I don't like #4's drawing much, in the first two pannels his hand is a bit off and his neck is too thin. In the 5th and 6th his head is way too small. But I have an update scedule to meet, and I couldn't pull a #3 again (you'll understand when you read #3).

Random Obsessions #3: "OMFG Ninja vs Pirate"
Random Obsessions #4: "It's MYST!"

Enjoy! CC still welcome, just don't point out the issues I already did in th paragraph above.

As a side note, I'm surprised that no one has noticed the brown-haired guy has no feet. (well, I just noticed it myself, so...).

EDIT: WOW that is a long post... I wonder how many actually read through it and didn't just skim over it...
I'm watching you...
  • Omniscient Eye

Bludleef

Forum Dragon
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2007, 04:24:02 am »
  • Everybody's Gotta Eat.
Ok there is only one thing that really bothered me about this first comic, and that is that the back of the computer chair is just sort of hanging in midair. It is in noway connected to the bottom! I mean you can see the whole bottom of the guy sitting's shirt, and that is just probably a flub that you just didn't notice, but I thought I would point it out as it was bugging me.

SOME LINKS
 -> Bludsoft Productions
  • Bludsoft

Obsequious Eye

King of Glass
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2007, 04:33:20 am »
  • Yes, I am mocking you
Ok there is only one thing that really bothered me about this first comic, and that is that the back of the computer chair is just sort of hanging in midair. It is in noway connected to the bottom! I mean you can see the whole bottom of the guy sitting's shirt, and that is just probably a flub that you just didn't notice, but I thought I would point it out as it was bugging me.

Eh? oh, I see what you mean. Actually, that's supposed to be the metal part of the bottom, maybe I should make that darker shade or something to set it off from the shirt tones...
I'm watching you...
  • Omniscient Eye
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2007, 02:29:21 pm »
Now MYST was amusing. Keep it up. I see you have tried elongating your jokes. :)

Obsequious Eye

King of Glass
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2007, 03:23:19 am »
  • Yes, I am mocking you
Now MYST was amusing. Keep it up. I see you have tried elongating your jokes. :)

Thanks! And yes, I have, thanks for the advice in that area.
I'm watching you...
  • Omniscient Eye

Bludleef

Forum Dragon
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2007, 03:51:20 am »
  • Everybody's Gotta Eat.

Eh? oh, I see what you mean. Actually, that's supposed to be the metal part of the bottom, maybe I should make that darker shade or something to set it off from the shirt tones...

Yeah or maybe make it a more metallic color.  ;)

SOME LINKS
 -> Bludsoft Productions
  • Bludsoft

Obsequious Eye

King of Glass
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2007, 05:41:27 am »
  • Yes, I am mocking you

Got any hexdecimal notations of metallic colors? All I can make is shades of grey, though it does look more metallic with a bit of a bluish/greenish tinge...
I'm watching you...
  • Omniscient Eye

Bludleef

Forum Dragon
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 02:27:59 am »
  • Everybody's Gotta Eat.

Got any hexdecimal notations of metallic colors? All I can make is shades of grey, though it does look more metallic with a bit of a bluish/greenish tinge...
I ususally use #CCFFFF or #CCFFCC

SOME LINKS
 -> Bludsoft Productions
  • Bludsoft
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2007, 10:40:30 am »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
Wow this is looking pretty good.
They both made me laugh.
The blonde guys hair doesn't look right though, not got enough shape.
But apart from that, I'd definatly read this webcomic.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...

Obsequious Eye

King of Glass
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2007, 07:27:59 pm »
  • Yes, I am mocking you
Quote from: Quote Pyramid
Quote pyramid.
I ususally use #CCFFFF or #CCFFCC

They look a bit too teal to be metal, the metal I'm thinking of is darker...
Thanks for the suggestion, thoug.

Wow this is looking pretty good.
They both made me laugh.
The blonde guys hair doesn't look right though, not got enough shape.
But apart from that, I'd definatly read this webcomic.
Thanks. I know, the hair is giving me quite a few issues. I'm a bit too busy to resolve them currently, I just finished coding the site for the webcomic (Random Obsessions) and I scarcely have time to update mondays and fridays (actuall, I'm putting together today's comic right now) witht the other stuff I'm doing, mainly consisting of writing a full-fledged, professional-looking site with a custom administrative backend for a school site, and doidn the same for Omniscient Eye.

However, expect something nice for monday's comic, as I don't have school during the weekend, so I have lots of time for sketching. We may even see the character's faces. I sketched one up on my whiteboard, but now I need to transfer that to paper...

Anyways, long post, webcomic site up, I'll keep posting significant comics here if anyone wants me to, and I'm goign to put it in the adverts section as soon as I a) buy the domain, and b) have a good enough number of comics up.

So, speak zfgc, do you want me to lock this thread until further notice, or keep it open for CC?
I'm watching you...
  • Omniscient Eye
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 63 queries.

anything