Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nintendo Wooing Devs Away from XBLA  (Read 2153 times)

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
Nintendo Wooing Devs Away from XBLA
« on: March 19, 2008, 09:22:13 pm »
  • :3
US,  March 18, 2008 - As it prepares to launch WiiWare, its original downloadable games service, Nintendo has apparently been trying to woo developers away from Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network. According to a report from Develop magazine, Nintendo is addressing concerns that have been expressed about the competition and painting a rosier picture for WiiWare.

Development for Nintendo's service is seemingly cheaper, and developers can be flexible with their pricing. The Wii hardware is less expensive and the SDK Nintendo provides is supposedly very detailed. A developer can purchase two to four Wii dev kits for the same price as one Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 kit. The company is also offering a higher royalty rate. Develop says Microsoft recently cut the royalty rate it pays developers in half, from 70 percent to 35 percent for games that earn less than $4 million. As a trade off, Microsoft is now handling some of the localization and worldwide rating work, but game makers are apparently still angry.

Another aspect of WiiWare Nintendo is touting is the fact that it won't be focusing on retro games, instead allowing independent developers to release new content.

"Nintendo has made it very clear to us that we'll not only be making a better royalty rate from WiiWare games, but we'll also have a better chance of selling games -- the service won't be clogged up with the retro titles that have blighted the chances of many independent studios on Xbox Live Arcade," an anonymous source told Develop.

Another developer who didn't want to be named says, "Frankly, we're not looking at making games for Xbox Live Arcade because the service is full of s***."

Source- IGN
Gannon-banned brother.

Re: Nintendo Wooing Devs Away from XBLA
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:23:42 pm »
*watches as 3 wiiware games fill up the Wii flash drive*

Wiiware won't end well.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:37:31 pm »
If that's the case and WiiWare starts making way less money than it should, Nintendo will see sense and release a hard drive. Oh wait, SD cards. Damn them. Well they should at least release an update that allows you to directly save/load to and from your SD card, as well as start up games saved to it.
Gannon-banned brother.

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 09:41:50 pm »
  • :D
* Limey continues to play the 20-something games he has on his 360's harddrive.

Yeah, its too bad that the size limit for Wiiware will probably be about 5-10 Mb

No offense guys, but a download service (of NEW games) just won't work very well on the Wii... Unless Nintendo releases a HDD.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 11:35:46 pm »

Yeah, its too bad that the size limit for Wiiware will probably be about 5-10 Mb

No offense guys, but a download service (of NEW games) just won't work very well on the Wii... Unless Nintendo releases a HDD.

I agree, Nintendo basically screwed themselves with the small ass Wii flash drive.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 11:40:59 pm »
  • Modrill made the avatar. I command you to like it.
Oh snap... So to develop WiiWare games, you still need their development kit... Those things are usually ultra-expensive... X_x

My Brawl FC is 1289-8196-4511. Don't expect me to be on all the time though.
  • Super Smash Karts
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 12:09:22 am »
  • =/
 Well Wii dev kits may be cheaper then a 360/Ps3 one... there is still the fact that Microsoft is willing to publish XNA games... and that XNA is basically free. =/ Nintendo needs to match that inorder to beat Micro...

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 05:25:09 am »
If that's the case and WiiWare starts making way less money than it should, Nintendo will see sense and release a hard drive. Oh wait, SD cards. Damn them. Well they should at least release an update that allows you to directly save/load to and from your SD card, as well as start up games saved to it.

No. Saving and loading from SD is way too slow. Give us a hard drive instead. The Wii uses USB 2.0, so it wouldn't be a problem.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 06:01:52 am »
  • I put this here for the sake of that one thread

If the limit was 10mB we'd be missing out on alot of TurboCD and N64 games :(.

It's actually 40mB.

But I do agree with what people say, they should add external HDD support and SD card support as well :/.

I </3 Sol

gm112

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 06:38:37 am »

It's actually 40mB.

But I do agree with what people say, they should add external HDD support and SD card support as well :/.
There IS SD card support, but it's only used for backups for the most part. We can only hope Nintendo'll release an HDD.. That 512MB internal flash drive was stupid. They should've aimed for at least 4 gigs.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 07:52:18 am »
  • Silly cat!
Nintendo need to release a Wii WITH a HDD. Release an external one too, sure, but if the rumored "DVD-compatible Wii" is ever released, Nintendo should probably update it with a HDD, and maybe something like an ethernet port too.

My Wii is NOT a refrigderator.

As for the WiiWare service, I think it looks okay. I'll download Dr. Mario, that's for sure.

Hoffy.
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 08:54:29 am »
WiiWare does look promising.  I don't think there are size limits actually, (if I remember correctly).  If there are size limits, I'm guessing they'll allow more than the 360 currently does.  Right now the PSN seems to be king as far as that's concerned.

It all comes down to HDD support in the long run.  They have to realize by now that there is no way around it down the road...especially considering that downloadable content is the future, (more or less...I don't think we'll really need to worry about exclusively downloadable games until the the next generation, if even then).  A Wii 2.0 with CD/DVD compatibilty as well as an internal hardrive would be awesome, (though I doubt I'd use the DVD/CD funtionality), I don't think that's a feasible idea considering that the Wii shortage hasn't let up since it was released and shows no signs of slowdown.  There was some talk of a Wii with DVD support some time ago however, so you never know.

All I can say is that we should all cross our fingers for an announcement at E3/SpaceWorld/whatever for external HDD support in a future firmware update.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 03:05:49 pm »
  • ๏̯͡๏﴿
Another developer who didn't want to be named says, "Frankly, we're not looking at making games for Xbox Live Arcade because the service is full of s***."
That is hilarious.

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 03:25:32 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.
Right now the PSN seems to be king as far as that's concerned.

Nah, Live still reigns supreme in that field. Several millions of people are subscribed to it. I can't say the same for the PSN. It's still relatively new, though, so we'll see.

Anyway, Wii development sounds pretty promising, though I'd imagine that it'd be difficult to develop for. Simply put, the Wiimote will be hard as !@#$% to program right. Indies are creative though, so we'll see.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 03:36:08 pm »

Nah, Live still reigns supreme in that field. Several millions of people are subscribed to it. I can't say the same for the PSN. It's still relatively new, though, so we'll see.

You skipped the first part of that paragraph. I was talking about the game size allowed.  PSN has no limit set for how big a game can be.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 03:49:39 pm »

Anyway, Wii development sounds pretty promising, though I'd imagine that it'd be difficult to develop for. Simply put, the Wiimote will be hard as !@#$% to program right. Indies are creative though, so we'll see.

There's actually a program used for development where Wiimote controls can be installed by using the gestures intended. I think I read it when DSR was still up.
Gannon-banned brother.

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 03:50:44 pm »
  • I put this here for the sake of that one thread

It's actually 40mB.

There IS SD card support, but it's only used for backups for the most part. We can only hope Nintendo'll release an HDD.. That 512MB internal flash drive was stupid. They should've aimed for at least 4 gigs.
Isn't it kinda obvious that I already knew that? I meant SD running !@#$% off the SD, rather than just putting backups there. :\

I </3 Sol
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 07:26:59 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Well they should at least release an update that allows you to directly save/load to and from your SD card

The funny thing is, it can save and read from the SD card.  Brawl gives you the option of saving screenshots, videos and stages directly to the SD card.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 08:21:10 pm »
  • :D
Well they should at least release an update that allows you to directly save/load to and from your SD card

The funny thing is, it can save and read from the SD card.  Brawl gives you the option of saving screenshots, videos and stages directly to the SD card.
er... So? None of those take up much space.  You do however have a limited amount of space for downloaded games... which is going to be a problem.
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 08:36:44 pm »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
I just put a book over my lap.
Yay Wiiware! I would've been more excited if I heard this earlier though, since I am getting an Xbox 360 in the future.
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 77 queries.

anything