Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Evaluation of this year's competition  (Read 6928 times)

Evaluation of this year's competition
« on: August 09, 2007, 07:45:30 pm »
  • I choose you, Zorua!
I (and I assume Hoffy as well) am very interested in what your thoughts are on the past competition. If the both of us will be around for next year's edition, we don't know. Maybe we will, maybe we won't.. but I do think that there should be something to be learned from this competition. Therefore I invite anyone who participated in the competition (whether that'd be submitting a character, voting or just looking at the topic) to fill out this survey. Hoffy and I will probably get together to discuss the results and write a final report afterwards. We'll read this next summer if it is us who will organize the 2008 comp. If not, we'll pass this to our successors. Please copy what's in the code tags and replace <answer> by your response.

Hoffy, if you read this; add questions as you see fit.

Code: [Select]
[b]First off, did you submit a character? Why/Why not?[/b]
- <answer>

[b]Do you feel us organizers have done a good job? If not, please specify.[/b]
- <answer>

[b]What do you think of the Pre-Round system? Is it a good system or does it need amending?[/b]
- <answer>

[b]What are your thoughts about the Divisions? Are they a good way to categorize characters? Anything else about the Divisions?[/b]
- <answer>

[b]Two characters were disqualified (Petey Piranha and Potato)? Do you think that excluding those from the competition was the right thing to do?[/b]
- <answer>

[b]Twice in the Snowstorm Divisions, there was a draw. In both cases, the characters were "merged". Do you think this was a good solution? If not, what do you think that would be a better alternative?[/b]
- <answer>

[b]There was quite a lot of supporting artwork for the competition (Versus pictures, brackets, trailer). Do you think those were designed nicely? Was there enough supporting artwork? If not, please describe an alternative.[/b]
- <answer>

[b]This competition was run by two persons. Should there have been more, less, or was two just the right number?[/b]
- <answer>

[b]Did you think the idea of an "Intermezzo match" was good enough to keep for years to come?[/b]
- <answer>

[b]Do you have any other comments on this year's competition or are there any suggestions for 2008?[/b]
- <answer>

[b]What was your favorite part of the competition? What would you like to see more of?[/b]
- <answer>

[b]How often did you vote?[/b]
- <answer>

[b]What aspects of the characters influenced your vote? Eg. Art, Story...[/b]
- <answer>
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:30:12 pm by NeoGeo-x »
My name is Pitt
Re: Evaluation of this year's competition
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 07:51:32 pm »
First off, did you submit a character?
- no
Do you feel us organizers have done a good job? If not, please specify.
- yes

What do you think of the Pre-Round system? Is it a good system or does it need amending?
- didn't see it

What are your thoughts about the Divisions? Are they a good way to categorize characters? Anything else about the Divisions?
- Excellent...
Two characters were disqualified (Petey Piranha and Potato)? Do you think that excluding those from the competition was the right thing to do?
- Didn't know that...

Twice in the Snowstorm Divisions, there was a draw. In both cases, the characters were "merged". Do you think this was a good solution? If not, what do you think that would be a better alternative?
- No...If it is a draw....put them up against another character...Have a bracket system with wins/losses/and ties...

There was quite a lot of supporting artwork for the competition (Versus pictures, brackets, trailer). Do you think those were designed nicely? Was there enough supporting artwork? If not, please describe an alternative.
- There was plenty of beautiful artwork...

This competition was run by two persons. Should there have been more, less, or was two just the right numer?
- Maybe more just to ease the burdon

Did you think the idea of an "Intermezzo match" was good enough to keep for years to come?
- ?????

Do you have any other comments on this year's competition or are there any suggestions for 2008?
- Prizes...real prizes...such as Photshop,Dark Basic,games,t-shirts with ,"I won zfgc.com Character Competition!"  I'd enter and wear it if I won ^^.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 08:06:35 pm »
  • O__O
- Nope

- The board setup was kind of messy. I would have had a seperate match board (doubles as archive), a misc discussion, and then the entries as it was.

What do you think of the Pre-Round system? Is it a good system or does it need amending?
- Seems fine to me.

What are your thoughts about the Divisions? Are they a good way to categorize characters? Anything else about the Divisions?
- The Divisions worked out ok, but themed divisions (actually based on the characters) would be interesting as well. Like, if there were a lot of muscly characters, make a "Strength" division. That may or may not work out, depending on the year's submissions.

Two characters were disqualified (Petey Piranha and Potato)? Do you think that excluding those from the competition was the right thing to do?
- Potato did compete before, and Petey Piranha was, well, completely unoriginal

Twice in the Snowstorm Divisions, there was a draw. In both cases, the characters were "merged". Do you think this was a good solution? If not, what do you think that would be a better alternative?
- The "merging" was a great idea, except it was pretty sloppy. Maybe the authors could get together and create a better version?

There was quite a lot of supporting artwork for the competition (Versus pictures, brackets, trailer). Do you think those were designed nicely? Was there enough supporting artwork? If not, please describe an alternative.
- It was alright. The bracket was useful.

This competition was run by two persons. Should there have been more, less, or was two just the right numer?
- As many as you need. Minus the away time, you could have probably done it yourself. That brings up a point, though- there should always be a substitute.

Did you think the idea of an "Intermezzo match" was good enough to keep for years to come?
- Absolutely.

Do you have any other comments on this year's competition or are there any suggestions for 2008?
- Encouragement to make a less kiddy story. Save the power of love for Pokemon, please.

Yes, I picked the female trainer.  Want to fight about it?
Death Kirby :D Thanks behe
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 08:39:45 pm »
- Yup the Red Shirt boys

- Yeah I think so

- nah it was good

- I liked it, but I was put in a bad match

- I don't really care

- I thought it was funnier, but there should have been some sort of a rematch.

- Yes I thought it came together quite nicely.

- It seems to be fine with two people.

- Sure why not...

- Why did RSB go up against Hyrule_boy in the first match?
  • https://colbydude.com
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 08:58:40 pm »
  • =/
 Nope.

Absolutely. It could've went a bit faster but for two people, you did a great job.

No complaints here.

Again, no complaints.

I believe you should be able to use characters from other sources/previous years as long as you build on them. You can't submit Mario but you can submit Mario's twin cousin who sits on the couch eating potato chips all day.

I love it. So much more original then making a new round.

A bit to pokemon-ish but good altogether.

If you can speed up the preperations/competition, sure.

Yep.

Allow previous characters/copyrighted characters as long as they are built on. Try to speed it up.
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 09:15:17 pm »
  • [sic]
- Yes.

- Yes, you guys did great.

- It worked pretty well, I think.

- They were done pretty well on the whole.

- Yes. I think they probably would've taken away some from the fun of the competition.

Twice in the Snowstorm Divisions, there was a draw. In both cases, the characters were "nmerged". Do you think this was a good solution? If not, what do you think that would be a better alternative?
- As I mentioned in another topic, I think the ideal solution would be to give the two authors a couple days to ome up with a joint character, be it a simple merge or a new character, or one could choose to forfeit, of course. If this were impossible, merging would be the automatic action.

- Definitely. This was my favorite thing about the competition, besides the matches themselves. It made it much more engaging.

- I doubt it would've really mattered, but two did seem to be a good amount, as you managed to cover all the bases quite well and worked well together.

- Definitely - it added alot to the suspense of the finals match.

- I think there should have been a more celebratory attitude in the end. I was expecting Hane's image to be shown in the news fader at least. Or a nice celebratory video, or something would've been great. As it was, it felt just like all the other matches in the end.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 09:28:01 pm »
- No, however, when I had a great idea for it, it was already late, and I was massively busy with tennis on that time, maybe next year. ;)

- Yes. However, even though the idea of fusioning characters who have drawn is funny, I think there could be another way to do it.

- I don't think there's another way through... But, I think it's okay...

- Funnier names... (Remembers We Don't Need No Education division xD)

- Yes, there are rules for some reason... Petey Piranha as a character would be pretty much submit Mario or Link as a character.

- A second votation... maybe, not a good idea, I suppose...

- I think it was okay, but a comic strip with any character would be excellent... xD

- They did a good job. I think it worked well.

- Yup.

- Maybe a bit more of time for the submissions...

What was your favorite part of the competition? What would you like to see more of?
- Nothing in special.

How often did you vote?
- Everyday I was here.

What aspects of the characters influenced your vote? Eg. Art, Story...
- Just the charisma transmitted by the character from the art.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 09:58:19 pm by Ricky »
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 09:29:29 pm »
    Yes.

Yes.

I felt that it accomplished exactly what it was supposed to and worked very well.

The Divisions worked fine IMO.  I don't see any reason to change them in the future.

It seemed fair enough, though since Potato was withdrawn prematurely in the first competition I suppose an argument could be made for him to have been allowed.  Still, it seemed fair.

I didn't have any problem with the merging of characters since all of the creators were fine with it.  I do however think that there should be a better solution in the event that creators do not want their characters merged.  Whether it's a rematch or just an extension of time until one more person places a vote, (the latter seems like a better idea), something should be devised before next year for situations like this.

I think there was plenty of supporting artwork and I can think of no way that it could be improved.  I just don't see how anything can get better than this:

This competition was run by two persons. Should there have been more, less, or was two just the right number?
    I think you two are the only ones who could accurately answer this question.  I think you both did a great job, but if it was too much work than maybe another member or two could help out next time.  I think that there should be at least two in charge to avoid any sort of corruption though.

It was a good way to settle an old fight, but as things currently stand there doesn't seem to be any sort of unresolved fight from this year.  I could take it or leave it either way, honestly.

I don't have any suggestions for next, though I do have a general comment... 

Ninja-Zombie's final match was somewhat frustrating to me at first...How could Ninja-Zombie lose to a character(s) simply because it looked funny and had a funny name?  It bothered me a lot until FISSURE also lost to him/it...and as it turned out, I did even better than FISSURE against Mr. Tommy Wrongkudan:

Ninja-Zombie #1459320340 - 14 (41.2%)
Mr. Tommy Wrongkudan - 20 (58.8%)
Mr. Tommy Wrongkudan - 29 (69%)
FISSURE - 13 (31%)

That surprised me quite a bit and made me feel better.  I have to wonder if I would have won against FISSURE...According to both polls I would have, but at the same time I think I would have lost by a landslide, (there was such overwhelming support for FISSURE...how could I have won?).

NEW QUESTIONS EDIT:
What was your favorite part of the competition? What would you like to see more of?
    Honestly, that's a very hard question.  I guess I would have to say my favorite part of the competition was the all the shenanigans and various propaganda within each match's thread.  Also, I enjoyed the signatures.  Maybe in the next competition make it a requirement to make a signature...I guess that doesn't really matter a whole lot.

How often did you vote?
    Every time.

It depended on the matches.  Overall I always voted for the character with the best combination of art and story.  If there was a character with a very good story but not-so-good art versus a character with very good art but a nonexistent story, I would choose the character with the better story....hands down.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 11:41:46 pm by Domo »
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 09:32:16 pm »
- Yes

- Absolutely. Everything was great.

- It worked out alright.

- I felt the Divisions were nice. They didn't have much to do with the characters, but it was good to divide them up.

- Yes.

- It seemed to work out ok. I'm not sure it was the best solution, but it was definitely the most amusing.

- I felt they were great. I just wanted to see more.

- I felt it worked out great with just two people.

- Definitely.

- This competition is my favorite event at ZFGC, and on the internet in general. It's the only thing that can really pique my interest at ZFGC, and get me involved in the community. I'm eagerly awaiting the next one, and only hope that it's even better than this year's.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 09:37:53 pm »
  • [sic]
    It was a good way to settle an old fight, but as things currently stand there doesn't seem to be any sort of unresolved fight from this year.  I could take it or leave it either way, honestly.
Petey Piranha vs. Gruffy and Chuffy. Oh yes.

mit

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 09:38:32 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
Yes.

Yes.

It was fine - except that the "random" placing of the characters could have been better. Rather than number of views, it might have been better to use number of replies.

Goroneater and FISSURE shouldn't have faced each other so soon. There shouldn't have been two not doing a preround in the same division, it would have been better to let the best characters fight last.

Yeah.

It was an excellent, innovative and funny solution, but shouldn't be repeated, or it'd go stale. The next time it happens, I'm sure we can come up with another solution.

All good. The competition didn't have the same sort of banner-making extravaganza of the first competition, but that's just how the users responded. Maybe we should have encouraged more of the craziness (such as the Spud Wars posters and so on).

Dunno.

Sure

We should have more entrants to make the better ones stand out more. I dunno, advertise or spread the word or something... have a prize maybe. There were a few epic characters here, but they were gone too soon.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 09:43:42 pm »
- Yes

- Definitely. It felt very organized.

- It is a good concept executed nicely.

- I think they should not be so random. Perhaps different from the past competitions though. Different Divisions but the same concept.

- Yes for Petey; no for Potato. Say Potato WAS allowed into the competition this year. Then NEXT year he should not be allowed into the competition. But since Potato was from the First Character Competition he has had some time away from the spotlight. This should go for everyone.

- No. Although it was amusing; in some scenarios it would not work and it would just look like a stupid excuse for a tie; which it really is beneath all that humor. I can't actually come up with a better alternative but I did not like the idea. Sorry guys.

- Again the idea is nice but it was executed poorly. I think you should be more consistent with the VS Pictures.

- :P You made a typo in the question. ...Anyways it had just enough people so that I didn't feel like Big Brother was rigging the whole thing.

- Yes but be more creative like: Infinitus vs. TRM or something. Or: Moldrill vs. Moldorma! >:U

- Yes. Good job guys. Chopik's world will return next year with a new character in the same general setting. :)

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 09:52:04 pm »
  • Silly cat!
Added 3 more questions.

Hoffy.
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 10:44:48 pm »
  • I choose you, Zorua!
- ?????
PROFIT

- Why did RSB go up against Hyrule_boy in the first match?
Because the lottery said so. It's beyond my influence (as it should be), really :p
 I believe you should be able to use characters from other sources/previous years as long as you build on them. You can't submit Mario but you can submit Mario's twin cousin who sits on the couch eating potato chips all day.
Could you please give me a clear answer in regard to Petey and Potato? Would you have allowed them?
 If you can speed up the preperations/competition, sure.
We did one match a day deliberately, to add to the tension. The preparations took so long only because of the submitters posting their characters very late :p
    It seemed fair enough, though since Potato was withdrawn prematurely in the first competition I suppose an argument could be made for him to have been allowed.  Still, it seemed fair.
Well, Potato was already in the competition. He had even won a match.
It was fine - except that the "random" placing of the characters could have been better. Rather than number of views, it might have been better to use number of replies.
We *will* use another system next year for certain. Now that the topic-view technique has been revealed, frauds could easily viewspam their characters into a "safe" position
Goroneater and FISSURE shouldn't have faced each other so soon. There shouldn't have been two not doing a preround in the same division, it would have been better to let the best characters fight last.
Once again, don't blame me.. it was completely random. Even the place of the "qualified" characters was random. That's how Goroneater and FISSURE were forced to fight so early.
My name is Pitt
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 11:51:58 pm »

That's debatable.

Well, Potato was already in the competition. He had even won a match.

Agreed.  I think it was the right thing to do, especially considering that Potato could have very well won this competition due to his relative fame.  I was just saying that a point could be made for him to have been allowed, no matter how slim of a chance of it happening.

Also, I edited the new questions into my last post.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 12:28:20 am »
My answer to the new last three...

- Favorite part? Please be more specific. What are the "parts" of this competition. Characters? The Matches? I liked the more humorous characters and reading there stories. Contrary to popular belief the interneb is not serious business. I want more silly next time! >:U

How often did you vote?
- Every damn match.

- Art. ...and silliness.
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 12:57:23 am »
  • [sic]
- My favorite part? The atmosphere. It was a lot of fun and easy to get into.

How often did you vote?
- Every day I was here. So I missed about a week of votes.

- Overall presentation. For example, even though I thought Mr. Wrong's description got pretty ridiculous, I still voted for him, because I thought he had a good concept and good presentation.
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 01:16:41 am »
First off, did you submit a character? Why/Why not?
- No,  I didn't came with a good Idea to submit :/

- I will try to do this the most honestly I can so I do say no :/, I was expecting more propaganda as in more signatures, saying X character sucks etcetc, probably that was creators fault, and some people didn't really knew what they had to do, and had alot of problems seeing veterans doing amazing jobs

I really like it so the final match is not that obvious

yes

yes I don't want to see a comp using only old characters( unless you do a division for them)

I liked it. But that character needed a topic with signatures story etcetc,

yes I liked the artwork

This competition was run by two persons. Should there have been more, less, or was two just the right number?
As many people as you want

Yes but you didn't give time for publicity :/

Not really I like it the way it is.

hmm, dunno really :/

How often did you vote?
probably daily

hmm, well first art, then the story.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 01:49:43 am »
  • b e p i s
Yes. Swiftu came to me with the idea for Hyrule_boy in IRC, much lulz were had, I agreed.

You did just fine.

lolwut

Yeah, I liked it. What caused those names to be chosen?

Petey, technically. Potato, not really, but he was in the Intermezzo so no problem.

Yes, I thought it was hilarious.

They were all very nicely done, although a regularly updated bracket would have been nice (did I just miss this?)

I don't think it would have mattered, really.

YES!

Teams?

i dunno lol

How often did you vote?
Most of the time.

The concept of the character.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 07:59:34 am »
  • puck you
- Yus. Because HoF told me to and I thought it might be fun.

- Yus, definitely.

- I don't know, I just thought of it as a a part of the whole competition (although it was, I meant as a part of each of the divisions as a whole)

- They are a good way to categorize the characters, but I didn't see how some characters had anything to do with Snowstorm or Flood elements in relation to their character 8D

- I didn't see the reason for it, so I don't know.

- At first it was giddy and funny, but I think next time definitely there should be alternative solutions.

- Yeah, me and Fox made a VS image.

- I guess it was just the right number, it was run smoothly even for two people.

- Yeah, why not, take a small break and see the two unknown gladiators duke it out.

- Yus. Make a comic about your fights against the other opponent. Because it'll take some time, make each round last for 3 days.
I think that'll help keep the people coming back, because at first ZFGC was full into this thing, then it declined as it went on, and improved a little bit at the end (it was sort of plain, because it was only votes and left up to your imagination to play the fight.)

- More people participating! Make it huuuuge! It's the people's ideas and interesting characters that make it so very interesting. My favourite part of the competition was when I was actually facing Bobo. That really got me nervous and I even made a first collab art with him  :D

How often did you vote?
- Every time except Hane vs Nevermind

- Both in art and story. But if someone were lacking in their artistic skills, I looked at their story. Vice versa.
:D
My good sir, in the immortal words of the late Mr. Wrong: STFU.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 74 queries.

anything