Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I want to get some C++ books...  (Read 2631 times)

I want to get some C++ books...
« on: September 13, 2007, 03:38:30 am »
Well, about a month ago,I started learning C++.  I downloaded and printed every article from the cprogramming website.
I got through several articles and became discouraged.  Well, since playing with Game Maker, I've decided to push
through the discouragement and get back into C++.

Now, I still very much consider myself a beginner.
I am looking for excellent C++ books for Beginners.  I do not want a book that treats me like a total dumbshit.
I want a book that will take me far into C++ maybe from Beginner--->Intermediate.
I am willing to spend $100 in C++ books.  I like illustrations showing me how/why I am doing what I am doing(If that helps).
I went to Amazon.com but every book I find has 4/5 stars and every review says almost the same thing.
"This book is great.  The best C++ book in the world!....Blah blah..."

What are ZFGCer's suggestions?  I am willing to get multiple books as long as the total does not get over $100....
If someone recommends a book and you approve, please say so.  If you do not recommend, please also say so,but do not turn this into a debate.

I am basically looking for a entry-level C++ book/s that will take me the farthest,but in the best possible way.
I am NOT looking for necessarily looking for C++ Game Programming just yet.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 03:40:46 am by 4Sword »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: I want to get some C++ books...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 07:53:55 am »
Go into a local bookstore and look at their selection. At least you can sample it before you try it. People's suggestions here will be the same as Amazon's. There is no one source of power for C++.
the a o d c
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 08:56:37 am »
  • The devil in the mirror.
Somehow I have never felt the need for a book, neither when learning GML nor C++, I found THIS website to enough =D
Working on my Masters Degree in Computer Science.
Hey look, Zelda Coop....later.
Proud user of C++ for 9 years, and counting!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 02:00:26 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Teach yourself C++ in 21 days, C++ for dummies, Game Programming All in One...those are the ones i used.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 04:40:58 pm »
Teach yourself C++ in 21 days, C++ for dummies, Game Programming All in One...those are the ones i used.
I highly recommend you C++ for dummies from those 3 books!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 10:24:45 pm »
Somehow I have never felt the need for a book, neither when learning GML nor C++, I found THIS website to enough =D
I agree... I prefer using tutorials for programming languages, (because I would be at the computer while reading the tutorial anyway...), although I prefer books for learning other things.
I used that tutorial when I learned C++; it's very good, maybe it doesn't explain the way you want, but it's very detailed and complete, and it explains things such as, for instance, the differences between a certain code in C and C++. IMO, C++ isn't thaaaaaat hard... It's harder than GM, of course, but most of the learning is only memorizing the keywords and some details about the syntax; IMO the most complicated things in C++ are:
-pointers (it can be difficult to realize how they work at first)
-things related to data types (they can be a headache when you need to change one to another, or use templates, constants, etc.)
-friend classes, inheirtance and polymorphism (class relations are a bit complex and boring, but they are awesome after you realize how useful they can become)
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 12:30:10 pm »
Tutorials can be great for those what if situations, but if you need to learn the concept as a whole, you're going to need a book. I looked at this thread for days, hoping that I could somehow find something in my library that inspired me.(library = I collected a little over 100 computer books since I was in HS... I have a ton, that I never even paid for that was given to me by professors or friends) A wide assortment of books does help being that no two projects rarely follow the same path.

Back on topic... alas, I still couldn't really find one that I have to share, but there has been one that I'd love to have(when it's cheaper) that really seems to cover it all:

http://www.amazon.com/C%2B%2B-How-Program-5th/dp/0131857576/ref=sr_1_8/103-6078568-8525442?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190118138&sr=8-8

There's my 2 cents... I'd definitly would try to learn a base amount in C++ before getting into specialties such as Game Development. Because of  that, most game books do go over the basics(which I hate, because it leaves less room for the topic of game dev.), but the basics are so rushed, that you won't truly understand how a generic concept of structure of code, applies to other things in the world of programming. I can say, having started out in Basic and thrown right into C++, with those years in C++, I can reuse those skills into any other language, with a small learning curve. But that's because I had 5 years of the basics drilled into me.
Intel P4 3.2 GHZ
2.5GB SDRAM DDR400
350GB SATA
ATI RADEON HD 2600PRO 512MB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 Z
Windows XP SP2

Current Projects: None.
- Trask
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 08:26:05 pm »
I wouldn't recommend C++ For Dummies as it teaches a more C-influenced style of programming which most likely isn't what you're looking for these days.

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 09:06:32 pm »
Nor use "C++ in 21 days", go for something with a tone that says it cares about actually working and not about getting sold.

Books can't teach you how to program in a language - Often in teaching programming, In order to explain how one thing works, a second thing has to be understood. In order to undertsand the second thing, the first thing is required.
The linear structure of a book makes this hard ..dynamically reading and learning little things yourself and joining them all together in your own mind might be slower for learning the basics, but for learning how it all works and fits together its good to get used to doing this.

Its also good to learn from as vast a variety of sources as possible, and practice yourself every little bit of code you come accross with each article you read either on the net or in a book (more sources, more styles, more approaches, more ideas, until understanding more compleely formulates in your head - its an implicit thing)
Youll have a rocky start and write alot of code that you'll later be embarressed about; Code that might even work well and do something excellent, but you took the hard route to get there.

Of course a book can be usefull; But don't look as a book as a from start to finish learning guide. Mess about with examples alot and mix them up by adding in your own things, observing.
Don't be discouraged by compiler errors, eventually you'll *almost* stop getting them at all. I got one yesterday i was horrified!

..When i first used C++ i can remmember getting hundreds and having no clue... Esp with other examples: Compiler and project settings can be the problem, its not always the code itself - be aware of that.

and join here:
http://www.cpplc.net/forum/
Listen to everything myork says.
if someone disagrees with him, their wrong, its quite simple lol.

Ask questions when you need to; Dont be afraid. However aklways make sure you have messd about and tried *everything*  that you can think of to get things working; THAT is the crucial thing in learning to program, and youll go far fast if you do exhaust situations logically.
g'luck.

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 06:12:56 pm »
Well I got four used books from amazon.com.
Here is what I got:
1 of: C++ for Dummies (4th Edition, Completely Revised) by Davis, Stephen Randy
1 of: An Introduction to Programming With C++ by Zak, Diane
1 of: Beginning C++ Game Programming (Game Development Series) [Paperback] by Dawson
1 of: C++ All-in-One Desk Reference for Dummies [Paperback] by Cogswell, Jeff

EDIT:It was $44 all together including shipping.  Just something to really get me started.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 12:45:12 pm »
What will possibly the best C++ program? Because I use Dev-C++, is that a great program?
The Legend of Zelda: The Spell Caster
Release Date: ?

I'm a faithful man! Don't be a whimp, fight for life.
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 01:00:26 pm »
  • The devil in the mirror.
There is no "best", some like VC++, some like Dev-Cpp, but personally i like Code::Blocks.
Working on my Masters Degree in Computer Science.
Hey look, Zelda Coop....later.
Proud user of C++ for 9 years, and counting!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 01:28:01 pm »
  • 笑い男
don't forget that you can't just learn C++ fully and do whatever, you'll need to learn such things as .NET and DirectX or OpenGL, for examples
all of those sort of things are very important too. infact, with just C++ you won't get very far :x but it is obviously the most important part of whatever you'll be programming though >_<. Take the english language's structure as C++, but you have only a hand full of very simple, but important words. you're going to want to get a much bigger vocabulary to be able to talk about anything you want, easily. Those words that allow you to talk about whatever you want will be the libraries like the ones i mentioned ^^
(but i myself have no idea about books and also if i'm just saying whats been said or what you already know, sorry >_<)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 01:32:49 pm by hawthorneluke »

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 09:07:35 pm »
Personally, I've been using Visual Studio 2005, as I do development in C++ and C#, and that IDE works very well for both. (Visual C++ Express Edition: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa700735.aspx )

Further, Microsoft's "Visual" line of products have quite a community following, and people are constantly writing add ins, and other software to enhance the IDE. Once you've got a fair footing in what you're doing, I recommend checking out Visual Assist X (http://wholetomato.com/), which is quite a boost to the already useful "Intellesence".

On hawthorneluke's note; You will want to start reading up on various libraries. If you're going to be doing windows development, I recommend reading up on .NET if you're interested in managed code, or doing some looking into the windows sdk. (and into DirectX 9)

But as a piece of advice: Don't get overwhelmed. There's a lot of information out there, and you can't hope to learn it all at once. Just keep at it, and never stop learning!
  • My Myspace?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 63 queries.

anything