Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Fallout 3 Thread  (Read 2679 times)

The Fallout 3 Thread
« on: November 01, 2008, 05:02:17 pm »
So, the autumn gaming season is finally upon us, and damn does it show. This fall is packed with big game releases like Guitar Hero: World Tour, Dead Space, Fable 2, Gears of War 2, Little Big Planet, Resistance 2, and Far Cry 2. So with all of these big name releases, it's easy to look over one beautiful gem: Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 is a sequel to a decade-old game series that hasn't seen a true sequel in 10 years. With Bethesda taking the reigns this time around, Fallout 3 bursts onto the scene with a big bloody impact. It perfectly captures the post-apocalyptic, retro-50s, black humor atmosphere of the previous games, while bringing it into the next generation of gameplay and presentation. It's an amazing, open-world experience where your decisions have a true impact on the world around you.

Fallout 3 doesn't advertise about the importance of choice in this game, but I've yet to play a game where your decisions have such an effect on the world and the way people see you. There's an effective karma system that plays an important part, but that's just the surface.

Here's an example: When helping a character complete a survival guide, I instead chose to use my speech craft abilities to convince her to give up. I got experience points and completed the quest, but she went from being the happiest person in town to being absolutely distraught. I've never felt so guilty about a decision I've made in a video game before. She gave me a discount on repairs and weapons now, but it was because she didn't have to spend her time on the guide anymore, guilting me while helping me. I later blew up the entire town by activating an atomic bomb. The entire town, gone. Because of me. I went back to the ruins, and there was the same girl, but now she had mutated because of radiation. I killed her dreams, I destroyed her town, turned her into a mutant, and she STILL gives me a discount on items.

Then I went on to Tenpenny tower. It was a very well-kept establishment; the richest part of the wasteland. The inhabitants were all very snobbish and rich, and all adorned in pre-war clothing. They were having a trouble with ghouls (mutated humans) trying to get in. So I decided to take care of it. Instead of killing the ghouls, I convinced the residents of Tenpenny tower to let them move in. All seemed well, and I felt like I did the right thing. I came back a day later, and the ghouls had killed all of the humans. Their mangled bodies were piled up in a storage room. Oops.

Fallout 3 is an amazing, open-world game where your choices have a serious effect on the world around you. It's not a superficial system, and is rarely even advertised by the creators. It's a game with a perfect atmosphere and an entertaining combat system. It's better than Oblivion was in just about every way and still manages to be a true successor to the Fallout series.

So that was my two cents. Anyone else here play Fallout 3 at all yet?

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest
Re: The Fallout 3 Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 08:41:23 pm »
  • *whistle*
Instead of killing the ghouls, I convinced the residents of Tenpenny tower to let them move in. All seemed well, and I felt like I did the right thing. I came back a day later, and the ghouls had killed all of the humans. Their mangled bodies were piled up in a storage room. Oops.

That alone convinces me that I want the game, much more than any of the advertising or hype I've seen for it. Seriously, that is AWESOME.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 10:57:44 pm »
I got the collectors edition with the lunchbox, nodding volt boy, and art book, its such highquality aswell :O I love it =D
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 11:04:08 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
How's the Black/Dark/Morbid Humour compared to the older Fallout games? I mean, I accept the older ones got away with a lot of things they probably shouldn't have, and this one couldn't, but still...is it there? Is it awesome?

Because my hopes were not high, admittedly, and now they have been raised :D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 11:32:24 pm by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 06:01:57 am »
I got the collectors edition with the lunchbox, nodding volt boy, and art book, its such highquality aswell :O I love it =D

Me too. I love the art book so much.

How's the Black/Dark/Morbid Humour compared to the older Fallout games? I mean, I accept the older ones got away with a lot of things they probably shouldn't have, and this one couldn't, but still...is it there? Is it awesome?

Because my hopes were not high, admittedly, and now they have been raised :D

It's on par with the previous installments, but that good ol' black humor is still present.

Also: Tranquility Lane is the most amazing quest ever.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 09:32:23 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
This game looks like Oblivion Future :( which is kind of depressing, because Oblivion was fairly boring and stale... A lot to do though... But this is exactly what I feared when I saw Bethesda on the credit reel :(

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 10:52:44 pm »
  • :3
So, the autumn gaming season is finally upon us, and damn does it show. This fall is packed with big game releases like Guitar Hero: World Tour, Dead Space, Fable 2, Gears of War 2, Little Big Planet, Resistance 2, and Far Cry 2. So with all of these big name releases, it's easy to look over one beautiful gem: Fallout 3.
Fix'd. But yeah, this game looks amazing. I never got Oblivion- so I might have to get this. But then again, Oblivion seems more to my tastes since it's medieval and whatnot. Does it have the same karma system though?
Gannon-banned brother.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 11:02:56 pm »
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 11:06:45 pm »

XD everyone's saying this, but I've not felt like I was playing oblivion whilst playing this. Thought the leveling and stats system is rather similar. Thats the only comparison I noticed.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 11:35:09 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
If it was Oblivion with guns stat-crunching would be completely pointless because missing would be impossible and enemies would level up with you, removing the ability to be uber-awesome-kick-ass from the game, therefore making playing pointless.

From what I've heard it's more like Morrowind in that in the wildernesses new and more powerful enemies are slowly introduced to the level lists (so you barely notice it) as you go through those early levels, but after that and in the caves and such it's anybodies game.

That'd make it more "Super-Duper-Awesome Morrowind with Guns and Nukes!", which sounds !@#$% awesome :P

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 05:38:03 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 05:39:22 am »
http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2008/10/fallout-3-360-early-impressions.html

I pretty much echoed this man's thoughts toward Fallout 3 and the series in general. Definitely worth a read.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 06:22:56 am »
  • Minalien
Did I ever tell you how much I love you, digi?
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 07:00:18 pm »
Completed it.
Ending for me was pretty good  ;)

Show content
My character is now a Glowing pile of Goo...

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 07:40:55 am »
  • Silly cat!
* Hoffy is now interested.

Wouldn't mind playing Oblivion either, I s'pose.

Hoffy.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 02:02:52 pm »
  • b e p i s
I just started playing this game. THIS IS SO AWESOME HOLY BALLS. Incredible writing, great setting, fun combat system...I think this might be the first game I really get into in a long time.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 01:25:31 am »
Completed it.

Show content

My ending was alright. Despite the fact that I did some terrible and awful deeds that robbed me of Karma, such as
Show content
blowing up Megaton and having some fun in Tranquility Lane
, I ended being a good guy. I gave a lot of water to beggars and did as many quests as I could. I'll still probably go back to a previous save and continue playing, because I didn't hit the level cap yet.

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 10:27:53 pm »
Completed it.

Show content

My ending was alright. Despite the fact that I did some terrible and awful deeds that robbed me of Karma, such as
Show content
blowing up Megaton and having some fun in Tranquility Lane
, I ended being a good guy. I gave a lot of water to beggars and did as many quests as I could. I'll still probably go back to a previous save and continue playing, because I didn't hit the level cap yet.

Pretty much the same here. I'mma go through it again this time have two saves one good one evil.
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 11:36:18 pm »
  • Back again.
This game is one of, if not the best game I have EVER played. The writing is amazing, and I actually feel a CONNECTION to the characters, instead of feeling as though they're just a big pile of fancy graphics. But I do have a question:
Show content
Will Pinkerton still give me facial reconstruction even though i missed the optional part of the Survival Guide history quest and I ended the Replicated Man without getting his holotape?
Just kinda moseying along.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 73 queries.