Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: N64 Zelda engine?  (Read 1537 times)

maidenforce19

N64 Zelda engine?
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:49:24 pm »
Is there any way to edit/heck Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask to the point where you could create an entirely new game, or use the Ocarina of Time engine itself (or something similar)? I've seen custom engines and editors for pretty much all the 2d zeldas, but what the 3d ones? Is there any way to create a new 3d Zelda game N64 style with the same types of graphics, gameplay, etc?
Re: N64 Zelda engine?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:42:48 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Look up "Utility of Time".

maidenforce19

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:01:26 am »
But could you theoretically make your own game with that? To my knowledge you can only edit things to a certain extent, but not do things such as making a whole new overworld, whole new dungeons and bosses, and a new storyline. What exactly can you do with this tool? And have there been any projects similar to something I'm describing?
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 12:45:48 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
I haven't used it myself.  But I believe it is quite limited, yes.  You just rearrange stuff, kind of like in OoT: Master Quest.  To make a "new game" you'd probably need to know how to heck a ROM yourself.  I don't know of anyone doing anything like that.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 12:54:06 am »
Adding new bosses? lol. I highly doubt it. There is never going to be a tool to do things like that. As all the bosses and similar gameplay elements are hardcoded this would require you directly editing the machine code/assembly. It would be more productive and time efficient to just write your own engine.

maidenforce19

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 01:17:42 am »
Adding new bosses? lol. I highly doubt it. There is never going to be a tool to do things like that. As all the bosses and similar gameplay elements are hardcoded this would require you directly editing the machine code/assembly. It would be more productive and time efficient to just write your own engine.

That's what I'm looking for, though, is there anything like that? And if not, is it possible, and hard hard would it be to do? The reason I loved Majora's Mask so much is because it was the same exact engine as Ocarina of Time, which is my all time favorite game. To me, anything in that graphic style and engine I'll love, which is why I want to try to find "new games" in this engine, or a custom created one that's similar.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 01:27:43 am »

That's what I'm looking for, though, is there anything like that? And if not, is it possible, and hard hard would it be to do? The reason I loved Majora's Mask so much is because it was the same exact engine as Ocarina of Time, which is my all time favorite game. To me, anything in that graphic style and engine I'll love, which is why I want to try to find "new games" in this engine, or a custom created one that's similar.
You want to learn how to modify the machine code / assembly? Unless you have a few years programming knowledge, don't even thing about it. As for what program you would do it in, a standard hex-editor.

maidenforce19

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 02:34:31 am »
Well do you think it's ever possible someone will be able to make a game like those?

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 02:46:18 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
Well do you think it's ever possible someone will be able to make a game like those?
In short if someone has the know-how to heck an N64 rom to do whatever he wants, or create a utility that can do so, he has the know how to write his own engine, and knows to do that instead, to avoid legal complications.

So don't expect anything soon ;)
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 53 queries.

anything